Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    JimmyV said:
    Bernie believes what he believes and genuinely wants to help people. We can disagree with him, but we can also do much worse than him. 
    Exactly. That is what I admire about him. He fights for the people, he fights for equality, and he fights for justice.  If those qualities are undesirable, then this country has a one way ticket to hell.  He doesn't have my vote yet as I don't necessarily agree with everything he wants to do, but so far he is the most appealing of the remaining democratic candidates.  (Not that I will necessarily vote for a democrat, either.)
    One thing is for sure.  A Biden nomination is a sure-fire loss in the GE; it'll be Hillary part 2 and anyone who votes for him is just wasting their time and throwing away their right.  Fucker's so out of touch.  I might leave the party if he gets the nod.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    JimmyV said:
    I would vote for any of these ten in the general election, but I don't think any of them dissuaded me from voting for Bill Weld against Trump on primary day. 

Which is synonymous with voting for trump because that's the goal it accomplishes. 
    How is voting against trump in a primary = to voting for trump in a general election?
    I'm curious myself. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,130
    Kat said:
    I didn't watch, still catching up, but I did hear something about a "record player" mention by Joe. It's like some in the media don't know about the vinyl resurgence at all. The world isn't all downloads. :)  Have a lucky day.

yeah it was an odd exchange...first thought was "holy shit" no one plays records anymore.

then of course I remembered the records that I recently purchased...and that my 18 year old has a record player in her room, etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Kat said:
    I didn't watch, still catching up, but I did hear something about a "record player" mention by Joe. It's like some in the media don't know about the vinyl resurgence at all. The world isn't all downloads. :)  Have a lucky day.

yeah it was an odd exchange...first thought was "holy shit" no one plays records anymore.

then of course I remembered the records that I recently purchased...and that my 18 year old has a record player in her room, etc.
    I think absent the Castro attack it would have gotten much more attention last night and today. 

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    I would vote for any of these ten in the general election, but I don't think any of them dissuaded me from voting for Bill Weld against Trump on primary day. 

Which is synonymous with voting for trump because that's the goal it accomplishes. 
    How is voting against trump in a primary = to voting for trump in a general election?
    I'm curious myself. 
    Me, too. My plan is the same as yours. Weld in the primary and the Dem nominee in the general (and I'd vote for any of the 10 on stage last night). I'm voting against Trump this time around and doing so every chance I get. The Dem nominee is irrelevant to me in terms of how I'll vote, but I sure hope it is someone who can motivate others to get out and vote (either for them or against Trump). 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2019
    JimmyV said:
    Kat said:

I think absent the Castro attack it would have gotten much more attention last night and today. 

TAMBOURINES AND ELEPHANTS ARE PLAYIN' IN THE BAND!

MODERATOR: What responsibility do you think that Americans need to take to repair the legacy of slavery in our country?

BIDEN: Well, they have to deal with the—look, there’s institutional segregation in this country. From the time I got involved, I started dealing with that. Redlining banks, making sure we are in a position where—look, you talk about education. I propose is we take the very poor schools, triple the amount of money we spend from $15 to $45 billion a year. Give every single teacher a raise to the $60,000 level.

Number two, make sure that we bring in to help the teachers deal with the problems that come from home. The problems that come from home, we have one school psychologist for every 1,500 kids in America today. It’s crazy. The teachers are—I’m married to a teacher, my deceased wife is a teacher. They have every problem coming to them. Make sure that every single child does, in fact, have 3-, 4- and 5-year-olds go to school. Not day care, school.

Social workers help parents deal with how to raise their children. It’s not that they don’t want to help, they don’t know what to play the radio, make sure the television—excuse me, make sure you have the record player on at night, the—make sure that kids hear words, a kid coming from a very poor school—a very poor background will hear 4 million words fewer spoken by the time we get there.

MODERATOR: Thank you, Mr. Vice President.

BIDEN: No, I’m going to go like the rest of them do, twice over. Because here’s the deal. The deal is that we’ve got this a little backwards. By the way, in Venezuela, we should be allowing people to come here from Venezuela. I know Maduro. I’ve confronted Maduro. You talk about the need to do something in Latin America. I’m the guy that came up with $740 million to see to it those three countries, in fact, changed their system to people don’t have to chance to leave. You’re acting like we just discovered this yesterday. Thank you very much.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The terrible, sad, & pathetic part is that the comment isn't even about record players.
  • Options
    The terrible, sad, & pathetic part is that the comment isn't even about record players.
    You can actually understand what it’s about?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Yeah I wasn’t sure what language that was...Canadian maybe? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    No: Kamala, Yang
    Maybe: Liz Warren, Mayor Pete
    I wish they were younger: Biden, Sanders
    Running for VP: Booker, Castro, Klobuchar, Beto

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,827
    dankind said:
    Haha, exactly. Guy was asked about slavery in America and starts talking about Venezuela & Maduro. Just amazing.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    That particular part of it, yes. Cleverly disguised racism and blaming victims for being victimized.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    That particular part of it, yes. Cleverly disguised racism and blaming victims for being victimized.
    Huh?

• Options
    Also good on Castro for calling Biden out.  And fuck the media for saying "Castro's attack on Biden"  He caught Biden flipping on what he just said 2 sentences ago but he's the bad guy? He's the attacker.  Biden is the victim.  Fuck off with that shit!   No wonder this country is so fucked when it comes to politics.  Castro should be praised for calling him out on his lying, mind-changing bullshit.  But that's not what CNN, MSNBC, and the DNC want, they want to spread lies about personal attacks, making fun of Biden's memory, etc.  I mean, did Biden not fucking say the exact god damn opposite of what he said just a couple statements before? That's not a personal attack, that's questioning clarity of what someone said.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,827
    Also good on Castro for calling Biden out.  And fuck the media for saying "Castro's attack on Biden"  He caught Biden flipping on what he just said 2 sentences ago but he's the bad guy? He's the attacker.  Biden is the victim.  Fuck off with that shit!   No wonder this country is so fucked when it comes to politics.  Castro should be praised for calling him out on his lying, mind-changing bullshit.  But that's not what CNN, MSNBC, and the DNC want, they want to spread lies about personal attacks, making fun of Biden's memory, etc.  I mean, did Biden not fucking say the exact god damn opposite of what he said just a couple statements before? That's not a personal attack, that's questioning clarity of what someone said.
    Preach.

Also props to Castro telling Buttigieg that this is a fucking primary, this is what elections are for - ain't nobody got time for "please this is not what the American people want" blah blah blah.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    Huh?

I know, right? I'm an editor (words, not film) by trade, so most of my waking life is spent helping folks communicate their ideas more clearly. I have been doing this for nearly 20 years, and if something hit my desk that looked like this, I would not even bother with it. It would go directly into the trash, and the author would receive a "thanks but no thanks" reply for the submission.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    Huh?

He took a question about slavery and started blabbing shit about parents not raising their kids properly. Wonder which parents and kids he's talking about, when asked a question about slavery then deflecting it to education and poorly raised kids, all the while making passively racist remarks and expressions (like the scoff/smirk when the moderator even said the word "slavery.")  Biden's a fucking joke.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Preach.

Also props to Castro telling Buttigieg that this is a fucking primary, this is what elections are for - ain't nobody got time for "please this is not what the American people want" blah blah blah.
    We're supposed to respect our elders, especially our white male elders -- you know, the ones mostly responsible for our nation's structural racism, overpopulation, the proliferation of gun violence, climate change,  etc. etc.

Who the fuck does this random Chicano think he is to talk to our white elder statesman that way?  
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    Huh?

He took a question about slavery and started blabbing shit about parents not raising their kids properly. Wonder which parents and kids he's talking about, when asked a question about slavery then deflecting it to education and poorly raised kids, all the while making passively racist remarks and expressions (like the scoff/smirk when the moderator even said the word "slavery.")  Biden's a fucking joke.
    He took a question about the legacy of slavery and started "blabbing shit" about underprivileged children and the challenges they and their underfunded school systems face. That doesn't seem that far outside the realm of slavery's legacy in this country. 

Also, given how poorly he spoke, I would strongly disagree that he cleverly disguised anything.   

• Options
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    Huh?

I know, right? I'm an editor (words, not film) by trade, so most of my waking life is spent helping folks communicate their ideas more clearly. I have been doing this for nearly 20 years, and if something hit my desk that looked like this, I would not even bother with it. It would go directly into the trash, and the author would receive a "thanks but no thanks" reply for the submission.
    Way to contribute to global warming. No recycling bins where you work? Sheesh.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Does he or does he not basically say that black people don't know how to raise their children?
  • Options
    Does he or does he not basically say that black people don't know how to raise their children?
    That's reading what you want to read into gibberish. We either accept that the current state of the African American community in this country is related to the legacy of slavery in this country, or we don't. An answer can be bad without being racist. And, again, Biden was miles from cleverly disguising anything last night.  

• Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,640
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    Huh?

I beleive its “them there ideas”

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    dankind said:
    Preach.

We're supposed to respect our elders, especially our white male elders -- you know, the ones mostly responsible for our nation's structural racism, overpopulation, the proliferation of gun violence, climate change,  etc. etc.

Who the fuck does this random Chicano think he is to talk to our white elder statesman that way?  
    So this is a racism thing.  Got it.  Genius comments prevail 
  • Options
    The problem with  Castro's attack, even more than Kamalas previously,  is that it was wrong on the merits.  And that's why he's taking flak today.  Maybe Biden is old,  but Castro is either too stupid, too lazy,  or too premeditated in his attack.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Preach.

That was one factor in my explanation for the public shaming of Julian Castro. So, yes, that's absolutely a thing, but it's not everything.

Also, I've never not been a genius. I was born this way.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Preach.

That was one factor in my explanation for the public shaming of Julian Castro. So, yes, that's absolutely a thing, but it's not everything.

How about Castro was wrong,  sloppy and premeditated and deserves the criticism.  You can be young and stupid and deserve the criticism for not understanding a nuanced point. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Preach.

How about Castro was wrong,  sloppy and premeditated and deserves the criticism.  You can be young and stupid and deserve the criticism for not understanding a nuanced point. 
    Premeditated? I'm positive that everyone on that stage had "go after Joe" top of mind. He's the front-runner after all. So in that respect, yes, such a response was premeditated. But unless he had a transcript of Biden's ramblings beforehand, there's no possible way that his exact response was premeditated. Biden said buy into and not much later tried to assert that he didn't say that. It is in no way wrong to point out that he's being misleading. Sure, Biden may not have meant  "buy into," but that's what he said. And we're not here to read his mind; we're here to find out exactly what his vision and policies are for our nation and its citizenry. If anyone was sloppy during that exchange (and throughout the latter half of the debate), it was Biden. If the point one is trying to make is nuanced, one should choose one's words more carefully than Joe Biden did in this instance.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Preach.

Premeditated? I'm positive that everyone on that stage had "go after Joe" top of mind. He's the front-runner after all. So in that respect, yes, such a response was premeditated. But unless he had a transcript of Biden's ramblings beforehand, there's no possible way that his exact response was premeditated. Biden said buy into and not much later tried to assert that he didn't say that. It is in no way wrong to point out that he's being misleading. Sure, Biden may not have meant  "buy into," but that's what he said. And we're not here to read his mind; we're here to find out exactly what his vision and policies are for our nation and its citizenry. If anyone was sloppy during that exchange (and throughout the latter half of the debate), it was Biden. If the point one is trying to make is nuanced, one should choose one's words more carefully than Joe Biden did in this instance.
    Premeditated because his opening statement foreshadowed his intent on old policies,  old ideas.  Then he sought to make what is fundamentally a policy disagreement into an acuity one.  Biden said something to the effect of everyone who can't afford it will get automatically enrolled,  not everyone will get enrolled nor there's isn't automatic enrollment. Castro was ready to imply age as a deterrent. 

If you're going to take a shot at the leader and former VP, you better not miss. He missed. 

This won't buy him votes and probably cost him a cabinet position from more than one candidate. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Preach.

Premeditated because his opening statement foreshadowed his intent on old policies,  old ideas.  Then he sought to make what is fundamentally a policy disagreement into an acuity one.  Biden said something to the effect of everyone who can't afford it will get automatically enrolled,  not everyone will get enrolled nor there's isn't automatic enrollment. Castro was ready to imply age as a deterrent. 

If you're going to take a shot at the leader and former VP, you better not miss. He missed. 

This won't buy him votes and probably cost him a cabinet position from more than one candidate. 
    A US presidential candidate should not say "something to the effect of" anything. A US presidential candidate should say precisely what s/he means to say. I don't think that Joe Biden is capable of this. I do believe that his heart is in the right place. I'm willing to extend that same belief to Julian Castro. I'm not voting for either one of them. It sounds like you are.

Also, I would hope that no one is "buying" votes. (There's that word again.)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
This discussion has been closed.