Options

Christmas Single's discontinued:(

Comments

• Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Pretty sure they tour less and make less music these days because hundreds or thousands of their fans buy all other crap they make so they have enough money so they never really need to tour or make music until they feel like it. 

Unlike other bands where they have to tour 50+ shows a year and sell cool sets with their new album just in order to live slightly above average income levels.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    This never would have happened under Obama.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,595
    edited December 2018
    At least they didn’t discontinue the Vault Series.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,492
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    The 40 buck membership still allows for the yearly member gift (usually a shirt), as well a bootleg (10 bucks worth). Its still a pretty good deal, if you ask me. Id rather have a vinyl than a shirt, but if they keep the current levels, 40 bucks for shirt, bootleg, deep mag, access to member only items, the contest AND the tickets....thats still worth it to me. I'd pay 50 or 60 for a vinyl version of that. Inflation and all.  

You’re about the only one I heard who is happy with the shirt. No way without a single is it worth close to $40.
    it should be a flat $20 now, no shirt but keep the mp3 download.
    Otherwise just drop it down to $10. Many fan clubs where the only perk advance on tickets are actually free. That’s not worthy $40 if they do a full tour every year where I have a chance to see multiple shows, and that’s not happening.
    I have liked all but the most recent shirt.

But regardless, think of how much a concert shirt costs. This is a fan-club only shirt.

My point is that for 40 bucks you get a shirt, a bootleg, a magazine, use of the forums, exclusive contests, and best of all....the ticket priority. Up until now that included a vinyl. People complaining about prices need to stop.

Complaints about not getting the vinyl are valid. You paid, you should get it. But 40 bucks for all that stuff I listed, even without the vinyl, is still a good deal.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Not the end of the world, far from it. They'll reduce the membership fee,  announce their 2019 dates in mid-January, all while solving some of the ticketing/seating issues encountered the past few years, and all will be forgotten. We're just lucky to be able to secure tickets in advance (when they do tour...) and seat with fellow 10C members. Don't tell me that's not worth $30-40/year with a few downloads here and there. If some don't want to renew, you're free to go. Looking forward to 20 more years of music (live and studio).

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    PJ_Soul said:
    Tuta23 said:
    I am very sad now.  Is a break up announcement far behind?
    They are working on a new album right now, lol.

Are you laughing at the idea they’re working on an album or Tuta’s post? I can’t imagine that they’ve made much progress on a new album. They’ve been dropping bs lines about work on albums since Big Bold Free. Vedd Hedd said:
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    The 40 buck membership still allows for the yearly member gift (usually a shirt), as well a bootleg (10 bucks worth). Its still a pretty good deal, if you ask me. Id rather have a vinyl than a shirt, but if they keep the current levels, 40 bucks for shirt, bootleg, deep mag, access to member only items, the contest AND the tickets....thats still worth it to me. I'd pay 50 or 60 for a vinyl version of that. Inflation and all.  

You’re about the only one I heard who is happy with the shirt. No way without a single is it worth close to $40.
    Otherwise just drop it down to $10. Many fan clubs where the only perk advance on tickets are actually free. That’s not worthy $40 if they do a full tour every year where I have a chance to see multiple shows, and that’s not happening.

But regardless, think of how much a concert shirt costs. This is a fan-club only shirt.

My point is that for 40 bucks you get a shirt, a bootleg, a magazine, use of the forums, exclusive contests, and best of all....the ticket priority. Up until now that included a vinyl. People complaining about prices need to stop.

Complaints about not getting the vinyl are valid. You paid, you should get it. But 40 bucks for all that stuff I listed, even without the vinyl, is still a good deal.

The shirt and bootleg are the only thing of real value. Most bands do the other stuff for free. 
  • Options
    I will miss the single but in the big picture this is just another first world problem
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,492
    Most other bands do that for free, but they aren't as exclusive. Anyone can join U2 and get access, but pearl jam requires you pick up your ticket, etc.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,209
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Most other bands do that for free, but they aren't as exclusive. Anyone can join U2 and get access, but pearl jam requires you pick up your ticket, etc.
    U2 uses the the paperless ticket thing for most of their shows.  You have to show up with the cc you ordered your tickets with.  Helps cut down on scalping.
  • Options
    JH83022JH83022 Fl Posts: 6
    edited December 2018
    So I won't get another Beyoncé duet?  That's worth 40 bucks to me. 
    Post edited by JH83022 on
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Just so I'm not confused - are they saying that if you paid for your analog membership in 2017 and 2018, they'll be sending you the last two singles?

Or does any of this depend on renewing again? 
    As long as you paid for analog membership those years, you'll receive your singles for those years. You are entitled to them since they've already been paid for.
    I wonder if it will be two separate singles or a combined thing. If it is combined what happens if someone was a member in 2017 but then didn't renew in 2018. Are they actually going to send out singles to people who haven't been members for 2 years?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    Vedd Hedd said:
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

I’d have to disagree. If there is still a 2 tier system, it would be the easiest decision I’ve made in a long time to drop to digital. At this point I can’t see myself paying more than $20 tops, and that’s even questionable only because I have a low #. If I had joined in the last 10 years, given how often they play live anymore, I couldn’t see paying anything more than $5.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,751
    LOL.  On the other hand, if this had happened during the Obama administration, guess who would have been blamed for this?  Yeah, you got it!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,246
    brianlux said:
    LOL.  On the other hand, if this had happened during the Obama administration, guess who would have been blamed for this?  Yeah, you got it!  :lol:
    Hillary?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

I’d have to disagree. If there is still a 2 tier system, it would be the easiest decision I’ve made in a long time to drop to digital. At this point I can’t see myself paying more than $20 tops, and that’s even questionable only because I have a low #. If I had joined in the last 10 years, given how often they play live anymore, I couldn’t see paying anything more than $5.
    Im pretty sure I will be movingmov digital but hopefully the price won't go up. You need some sort of membership to be able to buy exclusives and Vaults etc do you not. That was certainly the case when the Vaults started, maybe not now, I don't know.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426

in my not some humble opinion, there is no noticeable difference in sound quality between vinyl and digital.  

now about those Vault releases....
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    edited December 2018
    The singles had been on life support for years. Part of me is glad the plug has finally been pulled. Curious to see what pricing/benefits will look like on January 1st.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    vaggar99 said:

in my not some humble opinion, there is no noticeable difference in sound quality between vinyl and digital.  

I think that the sound quality probably does make a difference, in theory but I don't live in a theoretical world. If I was listening to a record in a quiet room it would probably sound better, but I almost never have time for that and even if I did my house is hardly ever quiet enough. Most of my listening is on a bus with ear buds.

And even if I did have a quiet space and some time to kill, like a lot of fan club members I am middle aged. My hearing is no where near as good as it was back in 1996 or whenever it was that I first joined 10c. I mean there is a reason those ringtones only kids can hear re a thing. I am not even sure my ears could pick up the differences in sound quality.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2018
    mace1229 said:
    If I had joined in the last 10 years, given how often they play live anymore, I couldn’t see paying anything more than $5.
    This is where I am. They don't play near me when they do, pretty much just be in for the 10C only merch.... which is kinda sad when you think about it. And I'm just about out of that game. They will need something pretty nice in the new membership to keep me interested.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,771
    MedozK said:
    mace1229 said:
    If I had joined in the last 10 years, given how often they play live anymore, I couldn’t see paying anything more than $5.
    This is where I am. They don't play near me when they do, pretty much just be in for the 10C only merch.... which is kinda sad when you think about it. And I'm just about out of that game. They will need something pretty nice in the new membership to keep me interested.
    Hopefully they up the game on the Vault, and I love the vinyl series, and though I don't have all of them (mostly cause I assumed early on they were going to more frequent than 1 per year) I'd like to see the access to the vault be upped.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    PB11041 said:
    MedozK said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hopefully they up the game on the Vault, and I love the vinyl series, and though I don't have all of them (mostly cause I assumed early on they were going to more frequent than 1 per year) I'd like to see the access to the vault be upped.
    If they do something similar to Third Man (Vaults made to order every quarter), I am IN! Anything else, I will be a game time decision.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

I think that the sound quality probably does make a difference, in theory but I don't live in a theoretical world. If I was listening to a record in a quiet room it would probably sound better, but I almost never have time for that and even if I did my house is hardly ever quiet enough. Most of my listening is on a bus with ear buds.

And even if I did have a quiet space and some time to kill, like a lot of fan club members I am middle aged. My hearing is no where near as good as it was back in 1996 or whenever it was that I first joined 10c. I mean there is a reason those ringtones only kids can hear re a thing. I am not even sure my ears could pick up the differences in sound quality.
    It really depends on the mastering, but on a good vinyl with a good master and a decent stereo you’d probably notice the difference no matter what your audiogram looks like. Frequency spread is wider on vinyl than on cd and even though human ear is not supposed to notice the vast majority of those frequencies somehow you can hear what can’t be. More relevant for studio albums than live music when it comes to rock’n’roll though.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    FR181798 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Im pretty sure I will be movingmov digital but hopefully the price won't go up. You need some sort of membership to be able to buy exclusives and Vaults etc do you not. That was certainly the case when the Vaults started, maybe not now, I don't know.
     Vaults and mystery boxes are about the only exclusives I can think of. But honestly, how lame (and insulting) would that be if the only benefit to membership was the ability to buy their merch? Most vaults other than #3 can be found for close to face value anyway.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Make no mistake, a concert shirt costs what it costs because people are willing to pay it.  I'm sure they get the fan club shirts made for like $3 per.

I think the $40 price point was very fair when a vinyl single was included.  Take it out and the value is obviously worse but still kind of there.  The problem (to me) is that a magazine I'll thumb through once and a (typically) boring t-shirt aren't really worth buying site unseen, even if they're not overpriced.

Digital it is!
  • Options
    BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    This news could go a few ways. 

They're simply tired of the effort it takes to send out thousands of vinyl records and are planning on replacing them with something equally cool but maybe less time consuming to produce. 

or...they're winding this whole thing down by discontinuing the single and not replacing it with something will no doubt lead to a pretty large exodus of paying members for a fan club that already had a sort of shaky relationship with the bulk of their members. 

I'm not super familiar with other fan clubs but I always got the impression that Ten Club ranked near the bottom already in regards to discounts, goodies, affordable products and club interaction so if they don't replace this with something worthwhile I think thats pretty telling in regards to the future of the club. 
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,209

BMo-643 said:

I'm not super familiar with other fan clubs but I always got the impression that Ten Club ranked near the bottom already in regards to discounts, goodies, affordable products and club interaction so if they don't replace this with something worthwhile I think thats pretty telling in regards to the future of the club. 
    10c is easily better than the plethora of fan clubs that exist solely to charge a surcharge to fans for early access to tickets.   Or least they were.   The 2019 membership packages will be telling.  Most weak form fan clubs charge $40 or $50, so PJ only charging $20 for a digital membership isn't horrible.

10c is also structurally weird.  They're not only the fan club.   They seem to handle a lot of the bands operations.  The website, online store, ticketing, etc.... Things that other bands would run separate from the fan club.  I wonder how those expenses are covered.   Sales from the shop, or covered from our dues.  I do remember reading the band chose to run operations in house so they would have full control over them.   The benefit being they have full control, the detractor being it's hard to scale up for that size of an operation, when you're only doing it for a single band.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this.. but without the annual single, they do risk making the membership nothing but a surcharge for presale tickets.  Something I've signed up with for many bands, but only paying for a single year to get tickets.  I'll still go digital only to keep my seniority for tickets (unless they substitute a different yearly gift into analog).
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 587
    Sad day. I love vinyl. I love PJ and the 10 club. Only reason I’ve stayed analog is for the vinyl. I feel like things are winding down for my favorite band. I hope I’m wrong. Just feels like the bands focus is headed elsewhere. Side projects, solo efforts and charity events with very small PJ tours sprinkled in. I hope they are really close to completing a new album and a tour is in the conversation but it feels like new Pearl Jam music is not the primary focus of this amazing band anymore. Again, I hope I’m wrong. 
    I'm not upset as in mad, I'm just disappointed that the band has turned into what it has.  I'd personally rather have them hang it up (like the Beatles, Zeppelin, etc.) than stick around as a novelty act to cash in (Stones, The Who, etc.)  You touched on most of it.  It's a band that hasn't, with the exception of a song or two, released new music in over 5 years. 

When they got inducted into the Hall of Fame, I had to laugh when Eddie made the stupid comment, something about being halfway done.  Face it, they're almost all the way done.  Sporadic touring to make some quick money and all this fucking merch.  They're just not an energized, passionate band anymore.  I wish they would've ripped it off like a Band-Aid, rather than this slow march towards novelty act.  I thought I had heard comments about how, Eddie especially, was concerned with legacy.  Hangin' around in name and not in action to make a buck --- that seems to be the legacy of the past several years.

1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    PSUS2H said:
    Couple weeks ago I believe. Maybe around newsletter day.