Options

Christmas Single's discontinued:(

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Hobbes said:
    NewJPage said:
    MedozK said:
    Well, now to look at the new membership information.  I would assume they will only have 1 type and hopefully is less than $20. Digital membership is really not worth more than that. My membership renews in March, hopefully the new memberships will be communicated asap. Kinda wondering what January renewees are doing.
    I'm in that boat. Hard to justify staying in simply for a chance at tickets for a band that barely tours and for the privilege of posting here. Gotta be something else...
    Hopefully something is communicated soon. I auto-renew January 20. :confounded:
    I'm right around then as well.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    edited December 2018
    teskeinc said:
    What year are we on anyway? They could raise the membership to $100 if they wanted and people would still pay for the hopes of tickets for a tour. They really have us by the short and curlies.
    Depends on where you live. For me I have the ability to see the band once every 4 or 5 years. If didn't spend 100 bucks a year and instead had an extra $500 on to spend on tickets on top of the face value I bet I could get some pretty nice seats.
  • Options
    I'd say chances are the DEEP magazine will be gone soon too, hasn't that been late also every year?

Stuck with a t-shirt no one really wants because they don't want to put "PEARL JAM" on it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,956
    Maybe they’ll replace the annual vinyl with something else. They didn’t mention anything about the Deep Magazine either. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    But what will people complain about now?
    No new music in 6 years? 

Seems so many only care about tour dates.  Sad.
  • Options
    Kind of a bummer.  The single was a big reason I kept the Analog membership active honestly.  Thing is for me they never really play anywhere close so the ticketing system isn’t a huge benefit.  Basically the shirt is the selling point now along with the same physical Deep Magazine.  

I pretty much have access to all the Pearl Jam I want though with all the CD and vinyl releases I have plus I also pay for a SiriusXM subscription which includes Pearl Jam Radio which I regularly listen to.  The singles were kinda fun to collect though.  
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    jeffbr said:
    End of an era. But it is clear the 10c/band isn't into it anymore, so no real surprise.
    Exactly. It’s clear they don’t like doing it anymore, so why force them to make stuff? Let them spend that time on the things they want to do with the band, like make an awesome new album.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,905
    Sad they will stop releasing the yearly Christmas single.  :(
    Wonder who over @ 10club decided to terminate this?
    Please reconsider!
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,323
    brainofe said:
    LOL at the elitist/entitled PJ fans.
    Entitled?  Yes, we are literally entitled.  We paid for these singles and haven't received them for two years.  We've made interest-free loans to Pearl Jam.  We are justified in being pissed and annoyed.  The discontinuation is a sign that we will never get what we paid for-- what we are entitled to get.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    PJWGIII said:
    jeffbr said:
    End of an era. But it is clear the 10c/band isn't into it anymore, so no real surprise.
    Exactly. It’s clear they don’t like doing it anymore, so why force them to make stuff? Let them spend that time on the things they want to do with the band, like make an awesome new album.
    The thing is though I don’t see how it’s a lot of effort.  A lot of times it isn’t a new song anyways.  Either a cover or a live track they put onto a 45”.  Plus it’s only a yearly thing.  It’s not like they release them quarterly or multiple times per year.  
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    Sad they will stop releasing the yearly Christmas single.  :(
    Wonder who over @ 10club decided to terminate this?
    Please reconsider!
    Must be the bands decision. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Sad day. I blame the complainers.  
    Please elaborate.
  • Options
    I'll see what my renewal options are with this change. Been a member since 1996, I'll go with the Even Flow with Pearl Jam. It is what it is. 
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I feel like Clarke Griswold when he found out he was being enrolled in the jelly of the month club. :) The band hasn't been into it for quite a while so as others have said I hope they release an extra vault or maybe a newer show on vinyl each year to go along with an older one
    Holy shit where’s the Tylenol?!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2018
    On a positive note, maybe they will change the whole membership thing to more of a “Third Man” type membership and produce made to order releases. (There is the Jack White connection that Mike has)

or they may be just liquifying the company and shutting it down.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,239
    PJWGIII said:
    I feel like Clarke Griswold when he found out he was being enrolled in the jelly of the month club. :) The band hasn't been into it for quite a while so as others have said I hope they release an extra vault or maybe a newer show on vinyl each year to go along with an older one
    Holy shit where’s the Tylenol?!
    Its the gift that keeps on giving the whole year.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    I figure they will close it down and have Kings Road Merch do all the sourcing/shipping of shirts and merchandise.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    MikeG86 said:
    PJWGIII said:
    jeffbr said:
    The thing is though I don’t see how it’s a lot of effort.  A lot of times it isn’t a new song anyways.  Either a cover or a live track they put onto a 45”.  Plus it’s only a yearly thing.  It’s not like they release them quarterly or multiple times per year.  
    Seriously.  Give it to a summer marketing intern as a project and just have the band give their blessing.
    "Here, listen to a bunch of unreleased stuff, pick something good and spend a few days creating a jacket."  Not exactly splitting the atom.
  • Options
    CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    Part of me thinks it’s just a reaction to all the upset fans. They were never going to consistently send them out so why piss people off every year? There will be an immediate uproar and they will lose some members, but it will soon be the new norm. Those who stay will have to accept it. It sure beats the alternative, which is that they are slowly fading into retirement and this is the next step in doing so. 
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,769
    Laziness has taken over.
    Sad sad day in PJ land
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    I figure they will close it down and have Kings Road Merch do all the sourcing/shipping of shirts and merchandise.  
    In ways I wouldn’t oppose that.  As is there’s not a ton of new merchandise in the Ten Club shop.  Maybe someone like King Road Merch would have more frequent offerings of new releases.  
  • Options
    Are we placing bets on when the singles that are due show up yet? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    I just don’t understand. They have plenty of songs they can surprise us with. Chinese could have been an XMas single, Avocado B-Sides, LB and Backspacer B’s. Ole’ could have been released as a single. Plenty of options imo. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Only on the weight of the packages! :lol:
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I just don’t understand. They have plenty of songs they can surprise us with. Chinese could have been an XMas single, Avocado B-Sides, LB and Backspacer B’s. Ole’ could have been released as a single. Plenty of options imo. 
    Yes..., but

RobbyD462 said:
    Laziness has taken over.
    Sad sad day in PJ land

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441
    Eh... raise your hand if you’re still doing the same things you did 25 years ago.  The Christmas single was a great idea but the band clearly lost enthusiasm for it long ago.  I just don’t think losing enthusiasm for it equates to laziness.  I think they were probably struggling to come up with stuff that they were happy about releasing and it lead to long delays.  Not the same as being lazy to me. I’m bummed to see it go but better to let it go than just let it die a slow death. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,074
    Sad day. I love vinyl. I love PJ and the 10 club. Only reason I’ve stayed analog is for the vinyl. I feel like things are winding down for my favorite band. I hope I’m wrong. Just feels like the bands focus is headed elsewhere. Side projects, solo efforts and charity events with very small PJ tours sprinkled in. I hope they are really close to completing a new album and a tour is in the conversation but it feels like new Pearl Jam music is not the primary focus of this amazing band anymore. Again, I hope I’m wrong. 
  • Options
    Remember in 2007(?) when I got the Jingle Bells/Santa God single. So much fun getting new christmas songs from the band. Was it the last single with music recorded specifically for it?
  • Options
    If they don't want to do it, whatever, they don't want to do it. But it feels like being left in dark when you get an email says, paraphrasing,  "we're discontinuing the single.If you're due one, you'll get one, and beyond that, we're excited to see what the future holds."

As a consumer, this just raises a ton of questions, as we've all felt. Namely, why should I remain at the $40 level? Will there be fee restructuring?  I'm an October renewal, so this will be hashed out by then, but for the people who are up in January, there are some serious questions. 

I think 10Club generally does a pretty decent job... for a band's fan club-- i think? I don't subscribe to any others, though.

But that single is one of the 2 main reasons people join. And there's no way that they don't know that. When you're cancelling one of those reasons (and the other reason has already basically diminished to down to a lottery's chance), I don't think it's asking too much to have these answers prepared and in the email, or at least let us know these concerns are being considered and discussed. If you don't have those answers ready  then give us something like, "We looking at new options for our loyal fan base," or, " Changes to the membership fee structure will be announced soon." Something like that or whatever is applicable to the situation they're in. It's just good business. And it is a business. 

"Excited to see what the future holds" sounds like nothing is known and its just a straight cancellation of services.