Options

Elon Musk

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    edited November 2022
    So apparently all Twitter buildings are temporarily closed with no badge access for anyone. expected to reopen on the 21st.

So you go from ordering all employees to in office work,  to stay the fuck home.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited November 2022

Is it normal for a person who spent $44B on something to gloat about running it into the ground? 

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967

Is it normal for a person who spent $44B on something to gloat about running it into the ground? 

It will be interesting to see what happens....he's either ready to pump tons of money into it or he's stupider than I thought
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

It will be interesting to see what happens....he's either ready to pump tons of money into it or he's stupider than I thought

I am quite certain this engenders plenty of confidence from his advertisers......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Or maybe there's something to the theory that the Saudis & China gave him the money to intentionally run it into the ground? 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I'm not exactly sure what happened. Suddenly last night everyone's tweeting things like "If this is about to go away..."

Did something happen yesterday? Is it the employees all taking the severance option?

Honestly, Twitter can be a cesspool but I got* some value out of it.

*GET; it's not over yet.  

I look forward to the Elon boot-lickers blaming the woke mob for this failure (I'm not not sure where I'm going to see them doing it)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Musk gave them an ultimatum, yesterday, to either return to the office and work what he calls "hardcore" or something or leave the company...apparently they all left. Like 75% of the company or something.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Musk gave them an ultimatum, yesterday, to either return to the office and work what he calls "hardcore" or something or leave the company...apparently they all left. Like 75% of the company or something.
    Overplayed his hand...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Overplayed his hand...
    I think this is actually what he wanted. only the "best and brightest" and most dedicated. and he'll work them to the bone. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/17/tech/twitter-employees-ultimatum-deadline

“Regarding remote work, all that is required for approval is that your manager takes responsibility for ensuring that you are making an excellent contribution,” Musk said in the email, adding that workers would be expected to attend in-person meetings no less than once a month.
    Twenty minutes later, Musk sent a follow up email saying: “At risk of stating the obvious, any manager who falsely claims that someone reporting to them is doing excellent work or that a given role is essential, whether remote or not, will be exited from the company.”

toxic

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    interesting twitter thread I read this morning. some guy saying what musk was doing was called "whaling and culling". 

Alright, I'm going to explain what Elon Musk is likely doing over there at Twitter. This is not a discussion on whether it's RIGHT OR WRONG; just what's happening. If I'm wrong, I'm sure he'll pop up and say so. What Elon is engaged in is something called "Whaling and Culling."

First, the "Whaling": It's a common refrain that you've probably heard at some point or another "10% of people do 90% of the work." That's what that tight 2 week deadline for Twitter Blue was for; he was perfectly aware that it was an unrealistic time frame. It was a test.

By pushing for such an extremely tight deadline, Elon got to see who is actually doing work and who is resting on their laurels. Furthermore, it proved who could actually perform under extreme pressure. You know, the whole "get this done or you're fired" level of pressure.

Hence, Elon was looking for the whales at the company. The heavy hitting, actually producing and hard people who have been there for a while. When the whales don't have to carry dead weight, they perform like the equivalent of 10 people.

Second is the "Culling." When you've got 90% of the people not performing, they're actually negatively impacting the 10% who ARE performing above and beyond. And that's why the layoffs happened. Paraphrased, 'shit is gonna change around here, get on board or get out

So by culling unproductive staff, he actually untied the hands of the PRODUCTIVE staff. Fewer obstacles to getting in the way of getting things done. It also revealed to him who was there to make Twitter a better product, versus who was there to be 'activists'.

So now you've chopped your workforce down to people who actually perform, but they're not enough to run everything. This is why after all those people are let go, there's going to be a surprise hiring of a new bunch of people. Why?

Because the productive people actually know WHAT THEY NEED to get things done. Don't be surprised if the people that are left get to be part of the interviewing process for the new people. They'll be looking for efficiency and people who don't make THEIR jobs more difficult.

So, when you continually slice away the bad portions of something, all that you're left with is 1 of 2 potential outcomes:

1) Nothing usable. It was rotten at the core. 2) Some substantially good bits you can salvage and build on. Elon is gambling on 2.

This is what he was talking about with 'Twitter 2.0.' It's likely not a 'new twitter.' Not for us. It's a new Twitter INTERNALLY. How things get done, how things get rolled out, rebuilding the company with productive and more efficient people.

What I'm saying is, take a look at the reactions: The people that are staying at twitter are hunkering down and working. The people he let go are the ones calling doom and gloom. And they're not wrong. The way "things were done" is OVER at Twitter.

So, from the outside, this looks like a giant cluster. But it what's going to surprise you is that a great number of businesses are run exactly like this. There's a reason layoffs happens every single year across the world. Whaling and culling. Elon is just being VERY VOCAL.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I get that but not like this....too much turnover to recover from in a company like that.

Time will tell I guess.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Overplayed his hand...
    I think this is actually what he wanted. only the "best and brightest" and most dedicated. and he'll work them to the bone. 
    I thought the same thing. Not just that, but now he won't have to do layoffs. So there won't be another headline of massive layoffs, its just lazy people who quit.
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
    Seriously?

Google went after FB and tried to make the "next best thing" and failed miserably.  If it were that easy to create the next best thing then every rich person would do it but it's not, so you buy the one that is on top.
  • Options
    I think at this point it's going to be next to impossible to make the next big thing. Facebook was revolutionary because they figured out how to do what Myspace couldn't/wouldn't (how Tom sold that for $87M is fucking beyond me when, at that point, it was a desolate wasteland of ads and trolls). But then twitter and Instagram got the celebrity/political buy in, which is massive. starting another platform and getting that buy-in again would be incredibly difficult on such a massive scale. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Overplayed his hand...
    It's what he thinks he wanted...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Anyone who actually writes software, please report to the 10th floor at 2 p.m. today
    Thanks, Elon

evidently, he chased almost all the coders out of a software company. That emails from 2pm on the Friday before thanksgiving. A few minutes later, probably in response to very few showing up on ten, was an ultimatum for many to fly out to SF. Put the turkey on hold, please.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    if a ceo orders me to do anything "hardcore" in any capacity, i'm out. not the culture i want to be a part of.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Musks tweet reinstate trump is winning, 53-47

7 mil votes so far 

all this post election celebration and trump can still win. But the real problem is I don’t know how to party,

• Options
    edited November 2022

7 mil votes so far 

all this post election celebration and trump can still win. But the real problem is I don’t know how to party,

Lerx...come on. It's a twitter poll comprised of millions of Russian bots. lol. 

Not exactly scientific. 

Plus, putting him back on twitter and in people's faces a whole lot more is the exact kind of thing that will hurt the republican party. Bring it on. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

7 mil votes so far 

Lerx...come on. It's a twitter poll comprised of millions of Russian bots. lol. 

Not exactly scientific. 

Plus, putting him back on twitter and in people's faces a whole lot more is the exact kind of thing that will hurt the republican party. Bring it on. 

AND it would signal what a colossal failure truth social is.

• Options

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I hope twitter dies 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I hope twitter dies 
    Download your twits before it does.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    I think at this point it's going to be next to impossible to make the next big thing. Facebook was revolutionary because they figured out how to do what Myspace couldn't/wouldn't (how Tom sold that for $87M is fucking beyond me when, at that point, it was a desolate wasteland of ads and trolls). But then twitter and Instagram got the celebrity/political buy in, which is massive. starting another platform and getting that buy-in again would be incredibly difficult on such a massive scale. 
    I was never on MySpace. What was so bad, how was FB better?
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I hope twitter dies 
    Download your twits before it does.
    why?

that would be like "quick, download your PJ board posting history!!"

its public record. if you want it, just google it, am i right?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    and by allowing trump back on by a poll with a ton of trump stan accounts and bots, i guess the bot issue musk was concerned about is not actually an issue at all?

musk is a fucking clown.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    and by allowing trump back on by a poll with a ton of trump stan accounts and bots, i guess the bot issue musk was concerned about is not actually an issue at all?

musk is a fucking clown.
    Totally a giant douche! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....