Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,607
    edited November 2020
    static111 said:

now let the "left eating itself from within" begin! LOL
    Celebrating the victory of progressives and progressive policies is eating itself from within?
    no, haha, i just mean that when dems are in power and we don't have a trump to focus our hatred on, we tend to look within and. the republican party just doesn't do that, at least not on the same level. 
    The democrat party has a long history of raucous internal debates on a plethora of issues and populated by a diverse constituency. Sometimes to our detriment. The repub party, not so much. They march in lockstep goosestep, yo! 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    static111 said:

Celebrating the victory of progressives and progressive policies is eating itself from within?
    no, haha, i just mean that when dems are in power and we don't have a trump to focus our hatred on, we tend to look within and. the republican party just doesn't do that, at least not on the same level. 
    The democrat party has a long history of raucous internal debates on a plethora of issues and populated by a diverse constituency. Sometimes to our detriment. The repub party, not so much. They march in lockstep goosestep, yo! 
    i applaud the democrats for having raucous internal debates. that's essential. the downside, as you said, is that republicans are a full-on team mentality. they are better at grabbing all of their supporters on joint causes, while liberals argue within themselves. but i guess that's the difference between status quo and progress: not everyone progresses at the same rate, so you're going to have conflict. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    static111 said:

i applaud the democrats for having raucous internal debates. that's essential. the downside, as you said, is that republicans are a full-on team mentality. they are better at grabbing all of their supporters on joint causes, while liberals argue within themselves. but i guess that's the difference between status quo and progress: not everyone progresses at the same rate, so you're going to have conflict. 

It's gets to the essence of who tends to vote democrat and who tends to vote republican - the whole essence of conservatism is that people cleave to certain ideas and principles that they view as stable truths without examination. Conservatism appeals to people who just want things to remain the same and to be told what to do. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    static111 said:

It's gets to the essence of who tends to vote democrat and who tends to vote republican - the whole essence of conservatism is that people cleave to certain ideas and principles that they view as stable truths without examination. Conservatism appeals to people who just want things to remain the same and to be told what to do. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    static111 said:

it's also been so funny to me how conservatives claim we are the "sheep" when we're the ones expressing freedom of thought and progression of ideas. they are the party of projection in its finest form. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Joe Scarborough Begs Democrats To Purge The Left

https://youtu.be/qncn07xwsXw

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

A Republican telling democrats what to do...seems legit...🙄
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    edited November 2020
    Sounds like both sides are urging a purge based on the above post’s headline and this one...both are the worst kind of wrong in my opinion (I realize a purge of Trump supporters will be very popular in this district, lol).

https://nypost.com/2020/11/06/aoc-facing-heat-for-wanting-to-archive-posts-by-trump-sycophants/

Edit: I misread the headline I referenced, is Scarborough (ironically the name of the suburb I live in, lol) a conservative or liberal? I thought he was on the con side.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Sounds like both sides are urging a purge based on the above post’s headline and this one...both are the worst kind of wrong in my opinion (I realize a purge of Trump supporters will be very popular in this district, lol).

https://nypost.com/2020/11/06/aoc-facing-heat-for-wanting-to-archive-posts-by-trump-sycophants/

Edit: I misread the headline I referenced, is Scarborough (ironically the name of the suburb I live in, lol) a conservative or liberal? I thought he was on the con side.
    He’s a republican
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:

He’s a republican
    Thanks, so both sides are being disgusting in not shutting these calls down.

• Options

Sounds to me she just wants to make sure people can’t run away from their associations with trump come reelection time. Not a purge. Just to hold them accountable.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

If the country isn't essentially down the middle,  why is Biden president,  after defeating handily his challengers in the party?
  • Options
    static111 said:

Sounds to me she just wants to make sure people can’t run away from their associations with trump come reelection time. Not a purge. Just to hold them accountable.
    I read a couple articles about it and it sounds very vigilante to me with a lack of clarity in her suggestion and an idea rife with the potential to be misused (blackballing Trump supporters has been suggested), I guess. It will do nothing to bring people together which is what’s most needed in this moment. Hopefully Biden or Pelosi or someone can reel in AOC.

• Options
    static111 said:

I read a couple articles about it and it sounds very vigilante to me with a lack of clarity in her suggestion and an idea rife with the potential to be misused (blackballing Trump supporters has been suggested), I guess. It will do nothing to bring people together which is what’s most needed in this moment. Hopefully Biden or Pelosi or someone can reel in AOC.
    And why shouldn’t hateful racist trump supporters be blackballed?  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    edited November 2020
    mrussel1 said:

If the country isn't essentially down the middle,  why is Biden president,  after defeating handily his challengers in the party?
    Chuck Shumer is reportedly floating 50k of student loan forgiveness.  That’s pretty progressive.  I don’t buy the centrist argument.  It’s more like half of t he country is full on ready for facist authoritarianism, and the other half got together to stop the threat.  It looks like a lot of the people that were disengaged and disaffected left voters got together because this was a referendum on trump and against fascism.  Uniting the Dem party doesn’t have to be about purging the left, because you lose those votes.  It can be about compromising with the left , getting more progressive, helping to find better language to use when speaking of defunding the police etc. if uniting the democrat party means fall in line or purge the left I don’t see that as winning elections especially with a growing progressive movement within the party.  I mean joe certainly has moved left over the course of this election and I’m very happy with that. The future of the democrat party is young and multicultural and progressive. We don’t want to go setting a generation up to be disaffected with politics because we are in such a hurry to heal the wounds and reach across the aisle to a party that enabled and profited from a dangerous racist ego maniac.  That’s my take.
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    static111 said:

Right. Document their positions to hold them accountable when they do a 180. I have plenty of disagreement with AOC, but I understand her point here.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I don’t know which side of my values this springs from, but making lists like this isn’t that many steps removed from setting up camps for the people on the list (in my opinion, obviously). And when the coin (inevitably) flips then the other side tends to take their turn at rounding people up.

That said, if actual crimes were committed, then it’s the place of the legal authorities to investigate and prosecute, which can blackball people from many jobs via a criminal record. As we all know, destruction of evidence is a crime, and nothing on the internet truly disappears.

As I said before this will only exacerbate the division, not unify, which Biden claims is his goal.

And just for full disclosure and clarity, I’m posting safely north of the U.S. border.

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I don’t know which side of my values this springs from, but making lists like this isn’t that many steps removed from setting up camps for the people on the list (in my opinion, obviously). And when the coin (inevitably) flips then the other side tends to take their turn at rounding people up.

That said, if actual crimes were committed, then it’s the place of the legal authorities to investigate and prosecute, which can blackball people from many jobs via a criminal record. As we all know, destruction of evidence is a crime, and nothing on the internet truly disappears.

As I said before this will only exacerbate the division, not unify, which Biden claims is his goal.

And just for full disclosure and clarity, I’m posting safely north of the U.S. border.
    Taking note of someone's public statements is many, many steps removed from setting up camps
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Republicans are just a weird cult now
  • Options
    static111 said:

He’s a republican
    And clearly delusional from what I witnessed of him the other night. Good fucking gwad.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Is FEMA back in business? Wal-Mart is standing by! They’re all connected underground! So too are Whole Foods.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Taking note of someone's public statements is many, many steps removed from setting up camps
    I agree, the list may be removed from the camps, but it’s one of the first steps in that direction historically. In a free and open democracy lists like this are downright offensive and will set a very, very bad precedent. This like some weird mix of Stalin meets McCarthy.

The standard I usually try to employ is “if the other person does it, is it ok?” In this case I might find myself on AOC’s list, but I implore everyone to try my exercise asking if the Republicans had won and a senator wanted to archive materials posted by their opponents to use against them, would it be acceptable? I honestly can’t tell if my question’s rhetorical or not, lol.

• Options
    In reference to the Trump Accountability Project (there’s apparently 2, not the one associated with GLAAD), when they talk of not letting people that worked in the administration into “polite society”, that’s flat-out stupid, I’m sorry (though I expect it’s an idea that will have traction on these boards).

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I agree, the list may be removed from the camps, but it’s one of the first steps in that direction historically. In a free and open democracy lists like this are downright offensive and will set a very, very bad precedent. This like some weird mix of Stalin meets McCarthy.

The standard I usually try to employ is “if the other person does it, is it ok?” In this case I might find myself on AOC’s list, but I implore everyone to try my exercise asking if the Republicans had won and a senator wanted to archive materials posted by their opponents to use against them, would it be acceptable? I honestly can’t tell if my question’s rhetorical or not, lol.
    Here's an example: I used to be generally supportive of Rand Paul. He's said and done some weird shit, with an endorsement of Roy Moore being right up there with the weirdest shit. I want people to document that and take him to task for it, mostly because it is so disappointing. That is not a slippery slope toward putting him in a camp.
  • Options
    Holding politicians accountable is not Stalinism
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Agreed it is often the route to positive long lasting change!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Here's an example: I used to be generally supportive of Rand Paul. He's said and done some weird shit, with an endorsement of Roy Moore being right up there with the weirdest shit. I want people to document that and take him to task for it, mostly because it is so disappointing. That is not a slippery slope toward putting him in a camp.
    In your case I wouldn’t necessarily be against keeping track of Paul’s statements for one simple reason: he chose to enter politics and has therefore chosen to become a public figure. But that doesn’t seem to be what AOC is calling for. It sounds like she wants everyday citizens in her archives/on her list, and when I scrolled through her twitter feed earlier didn’t see anything by way of clarification on that front. If I was on the platform I might try and ask her what she meant, I’ll try the 2 social media sites I am on and post any reply here.

• Options
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    100%. You don't need to be a DSA member to understand that a vast swath of Republicans are gonna try to run away from their Trumpy positions once it's no longer politically expedient. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

In your case I wouldn’t necessarily be against keeping track of Paul’s statements for one simple reason: he chose to enter politics and has therefore chosen to become a public figure. But that doesn’t seem to be what AOC is calling for. It sounds like she wants everyday citizens in her archives/on her list, and when I scrolled through her twitter feed earlier didn’t see anything by way of clarification on that front. If I was on the platform I might try and ask her what she meant, I’ll try the 2 social media sites I am on and post any reply here.
    It can be pundits, too. I don't know who would be trying to compile such a list of average joes or why.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    100%. You don't need to be a DSA member to understand that a vast swath of Republicans are gonna try to run away from their Trumpy positions once it's no longer politically expedient. 
    Not that there’s anything wrong with being a DSA member...
    Scio me nihil scire