Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    edited November 2020
    I had to go chuckle a bit at those AOC tweets. She represents a super liberal, wealthy district. Run a turnip with a D next to the name and it will win in a landslide. Same with any of the “squad”.

Now for the Democrats in rural areas or outer ring suburbs, different story. They can’t run on the AOC super progressive platform and even consider being competitive. Ain’t happening. The district in MN that I grew up in, which was considered a democratic lock for decades, has now went R two elections in a row. Hasn’t happened in almost 100 years. MN 7th District which has been D for over 30 years just elected a hard right, who moved to the district last year solely to run, by a large majority.

Folks like AOC just don’t get the mind set of rural voters, their messaging is off. It’s hard to sell the concept of defunding the police in an area where everyone knows the names of all their police officers. Gun control is a hard sell in communities that rarely ever see gun violence and where hunting is a way of life. White privilege is a tough concept to drive when large chunks of rural whites are living in poverty.

They view those issues as problems of large cities that are caused by soft, liberal politicians. I’ve mentioned it elsewhere, the riots/unrest across the country did more to turn out the Trump vote than anything else. Rs knew this and ran with it, no matter how racist, wrong, and disgusting I found it. At the end of the day politics is about winning enough seats to push your parties agenda. Something Rs have known for years, and Ds still struggle with.

So yes, the real problem for D’s who lost, or almost lost, was that they didn’t spend enough money on digital advertising in the lead up to the election.

Like it or not rural folks have an outsized position of power in the US. Find a way to get them to the table.

Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    gotta give it to her. she's smart as a whip. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gotta give it to her. she's smart as a whip. 
    And they’d love her as their neighbor.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    I had to go chuckle a bit at those AOC tweets. She represents a super liberal, wealthy district. Run a turnip with a D next to the name and it will win in a landslide. Same with any of the “squad”.

Now for the Democrats in rural areas or outer ring suburbs, different story. They can’t run on the AOC super progressive platform and even consider being competitive. Ain’t happening. The district in MN that I grew up in, which was considered a democratic lock for decades, has now went R two elections in a row. Hasn’t happened in almost 100 years. MN 7th District which has been D for over 30 years just elected a hard right, who moved to the district last year solely to run, by a large majority.

Folks like AOC just don’t get the mind set of rural voters, their messaging is off. It’s hard to sell the concept of defunding the police in an area where everyone knows the names of all their police officers. Gun control is a hard sell in communities that rarely ever see gun violence and where hunting is a way of life. White privilege is a tough concept to drive when large chunks of rural whites are living in poverty.

They view those issues as problems of large cities that are caused by soft, liberal politicians. I’ve mentioned it elsewhere, the riots/unrest across the country did more to turn out the Trump vote than anything else. Rs knew this and ran with it, no matter how racist, wrong, and disgusting I found it. At the end of the day politics is about winning enough seats to push your parties agenda. Something Rs have known for years, and Ds still struggle with.

So yes, the real problem for D’s who lost, or almost lost, was that they didn’t spend enough money on digital advertising in the lead up to the election.

Like it or not rural folks have an outsized position of power in the US. Find a way to get them to the table.

Progressives should take extreme caution from this election. Instead of an estimate 241+ seats in the House, it’s possible they only get 229. Many suburban swing districts voted against trump but crossed over to vote for a republican in Congress. AOC, Warren, Sanders et al, take note or 2022 could be a blood bath for Dems, as the opposition party usually does better in the midterms. 

Dems need to be much more careful with messaging. “Defund the police” probably cost the democrats the senate (GA is a long shot) and 11+ seats in the House, mostly suburban. Some of that is Trump constantly lying, but republicans are masters at making progressives look extremist to suburban voters. And I did not see AOC, Sanders et al back down at all. They want stick to their guns? The 2022 and 2024 may not be fun for the Blues.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    All from historically republican states or represented primarily rural districts, and are areas were Trump had strong turn out this election.

Colin Peterson, a moderate D, had represented his MN district (my brother lives in it) for 30+ years. He got crushed by a carpetbagging, hard right, loyal Trump supporter. Every ad ran against him featured AOC, Omar, and Pelosi. Also a good number pegging him to being “against the police” with some images of causal racism through in for good measure. Again, it’s hard for folks not from these areas to understand, but the super progressive platform is not going to work in them.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    It's a huge problem that one of the scariest things for Rural America is 4 Women of Color...If that isn't a product of the systemic racism in this country I don't know what is. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761

Excellent post. I am the youngest sibling behind three older brothers and their wives, all Trump supporters. You are so right about the protests this summer firing up the base on the right. And the guns. And abortion. 

I always love reading the viewpoint of people who've never actually known an in-the-flesh Trumper trying to explain how to persuade them.  I've been having these family dinner fights for about 30 years. They are not persuadable, they do not see their own contradictions, and they are surely angry about the disrespect they perceive against their rural culture -- where, BY THE WAY, AOC, THERE IS NO DIGITAL CONNECTION in many areas you speak of. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    It's a huge problem that one of the scariest things for Rural America is 4 Women of Color...If that isn't a product of the systemic racism in this country I don't know what is. 
    i think for many people, the colour plays a role for sure. but it is also their policies. they all lean way left, and people fear extremes on both sides. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243

Excellent post. I am the youngest sibling behind three older brothers and their wives, all Trump supporters. You are so right about the protests this summer firing up the base on the right. And the guns. And abortion. 

I always love reading the viewpoint of people who've never actually known an in-the-flesh Trumper trying to explain how to persuade them.  I've been having these family dinner fights for about 30 years. They are not persuadable, they do not see their own contradictions, and they are surely angry about the disrespect they perceive against their rural culture -- where, BY THE WAY, AOC, THERE IS NO DIGITAL CONNECTION in many areas you speak of. 
    These two posts sum it up well. AOC is way off and while her base probably think she is a genius, she would never, ever, get a single vote form any person in those rural districts. I have had to stomach my relatives bullshit, racist, ignorant viewpoints for decades. I grew up hearing slurs about every race imaginable. The protests and bickering over relief packages always came back to democrats fucking it up in their eyes. Common thought was, if you don't like it here, go back to where you came from. Thanks for that gem, mom. I can't reason with them and I've given up on trying. They see and hear what they want. If a democrat wants to win in those districts they'll need to lie and stab people like AOC in the back, but even then they will lose to some whack job right winger spewing nonsense and riling up fake fear of the other. Collin Peterson in MN saw that first hand. My parents used to talk nicely of him when I was a kid, but I would bet they voted for the whack job this time.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
  • Options
    Not that anyone here will see the correlation between white people and racism standing in the way of progress but this is  worth a read if you have an open mind. https://eand.co/americas-problem-is-that-white-people-want-it-to-be-a-failed-state-bac24202f32f
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    static111 said:
    Not that anyone here will see the correlation between white people and racism standing in the way of progress but this is  worth a read if you have an open mind. https://eand.co/americas-problem-is-that-white-people-want-it-to-be-a-failed-state-bac24202f32f
    Why the "Not that anyone here will see . . . "  and the "if you have an open mind"???

That's the exact know-it-all, elitiest bullshit attitude many people rejected at the ballot on Tuesday.  You have an audience of educated, open-minded readers right here, and you open with an insult. That's not a great way in. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    edited November 2020
    static111 said:
    i think for many people, the colour plays a role for sure. but it is also their policies. they all lean way left, and people fear extremes on both sides. 
    the biggesr trick the devil ever pulled, was skewing what is extreme and not for people in the US. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    static111 said:
    the biggesr trick the devil ever pulled, was scewing what is extreme and not for people in the US. 

• Options
    static111 said:
    Why the "Not that anyone here will see . . . "  and the "if you have an open mind"???

That's the exact know-it-all, elitiest bullshit attitude many people rejected at the ballot on Tuesday.  You have an audience of educated, open-minded readers right here, and you open with an insult. That's not a great way in. 
    Of course because when posting about progressive wins and ballot measures the responses have been overwhelmingly positive around here.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    What even is reparations... 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    trying to find a modern way to pay the balance owed the ancestors  after being freed from slavery and finding a way to financially pay back the tribes for their broken treaties and the genocide.  Either through programs or direct financial payments.
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    trying to find a modern way to pay the balance of the 40 acres and a mule the ancestors were promised after being freed, and finding a way to financially pay back the tribes for their broken treaties and the genocide.  Either through programs or direct financial payments.
    So it's just a loose concept, and not a concrete idea of what it actually entails (yet) ?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    static111 said:
    trying to find a modern way to pay the balance of the 40 acres and a mule the ancestors were promised after being freed, and finding a way to financially pay back the tribes for their broken treaties and the genocide.  Either through programs or direct financial payments.
    So it's just a loose concept, and not a concrete idea of what it actually entails (yet) ?
    Yes there is a lot of theoreticiZing. Which is why most modern activists are looking at minority specific equivalents of FHA loans and GI Bill type of college funding etc.  Basically Americans having to pay back their biggest outstanding debt. The biggest obstacle being pragmatic white people
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
  • Options
    Won’t be enough evidence of a progressive shift for some very pragmatic people.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    now let the "left eating itself from within" begin! LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Celebrating the victory of progressives and progressive policies is eating itself from within?
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:

Celebrating the victory of progressives and progressive policies is eating itself from within?
    no, haha, i just mean that when dems are in power and we don't have a trump to focus our hatred on, we tend to look within and. the republican party just doesn't do that, at least not on the same level. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options