Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    I'm very glad to see this thread open again!  I concur with tempo_n_groove , let keep our cool and keep it open!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Have to agree with the latest round of comments in this thread. AOC and her posse really are going to be the downfall of the party in 2020, and will assist Drumpf in getting reelected. Now, I'm no fan of the Dotard-in-Chief's first born idiot, and one must wade through chest-high bullshit in this article, but he makes some good points about Pelosi vis a vis the AOC gang, and the pandering the Dem candidates to to appease them. I've said that I don't think that will play in the general when a candidate is trying to garner votes from not only the party activists, but the party stalwarts, the centrist/moderate votes, and the disillusioned refugees/#nevertrump members from the GOP. 

Donald Trump will win the Democratic Party civil war

Again, lots of bullshit in this article, but the sentiment is clear, and the warnings should be listened to by the Dems. If Pelosi loses her control of the party to the AOC gang, Trump is a shoe-in for re-election.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    Have to agree with the latest round of comments in this thread. AOC and her posse really are going to be the downfall of the party in 2020, and will assist Drumpf in getting reelected. Now, I'm no fan of the Dotard-in-Chief's first born idiot, and one must wade through chest-high bullshit in this article, but he makes some good points about Pelosi vis a vis the AOC gang, and the pandering the Dem candidates to to appease them. I've said that I don't think that will play in the general when a candidate is trying to garner votes from not only the party activists, but the party stalwarts, the centrist/moderate votes, and the disillusioned refugees/#nevertrump members from the GOP. 

Donald Trump will win the Democratic Party civil war

Again, lots of bullshit in this article, but the sentiment is clear, and the warnings should be listened to by the Dems. If Pelosi loses her control of the party to the AOC gang, Trump is a shoe-in for re-election.
    I don't blame the "Democratic Party Civil War" solely on one person, but it surely is a problem that needs to be resolved if we don't want another 4 years of the Golden Golem.  At this point in time, it seems unfathomable that the Democratic Party hasn't done a better job of uniting under the purpose of moving on from the current abominable POTUS.  2020 will be one hell of an interesting year.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    brianlux said:
    I'm very glad to see this thread open again!  I concur with tempo_n_groove , let keep our cool and keep it open!
    I didn't even know it was closed.  I don't think I was responsible for this one, so I feel kind of bad about that.  

Couple of things on this issue, from my view:
    1. Pelosi is right.  I don't know if you guys saw what AOC's top aide actually posted about moderate dems, but he accused them of being the new Southern Democrates of the 40's and of voting to put kids in cages.  This is outrageous. 
    2. There were a total of four Dems who voted against the package, yet AOC sees the commonality of those four as their color and sex, not how they voted.  That's curious.
    3. Pelosi is a good leader.  Rather than let the circular firing squad begin, she is publicly allowing the freshmen to aim their fire at her, rather than at the moderate Democrats.  This is leadership.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    I was just on Twitter and when I typed "Nancy Pelosi" into the search bar, the top two suggestions were "Nancy Pelosi AOC" and "Nancy Pelosi Racist." That must be what people are searching for. 

Then, I typed "Joe Biden" into the twitter search. And the first suggestion? You guessed it: "Joe Biden racist." 

It's interesting because Biden and Pelosi have been in politics for the entirety of my life, and I've never heard either of them ever referred to as racist, until AOC came along. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Keep it up AOC, I cannot get enough of your race/gender baiting babbling bullshit against your own party!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJPOWER said:
    Keep it up AOC, I cannot get enough of your race/gender baiting babbling bullshit against your own party!
    I'm surprised trump hasn't tweeted something similar to this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    Honestly, I am to.  He’s either taking notes from her about how to destroy the Democratic Party or trying to figure out how to get close enough to grab her by the ......  Maybe both.  Regardless, their infighting could give him a solid boost in 2020.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Honestly, I am to.  He’s either taking notes from her about how to destroy the Democratic Party or trying to figure out how to get close enough to grab her by the ......  Maybe both.  Regardless, their infighting could give him a solid boost in 2020.
    The infighting is petty at most but anything AOC gets coverage so it makes headlines.  The squabbling will be picked up by the opposition and run with it and make all the far right pundits babble on about it to their flock.

Kind of like we are doing right now actually, lol...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Something obviously needs to change in Washington.  Republicans are the biggest part of the problem (I used to be a Republican) but overall Washington needs reform and it won't happen until people yell loud enough.  AOC claiming that Pelosi is racist is not going to help Democrats though. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Something obviously needs to change in Washington.  Republicans are the biggest part of the problem (I used to be a Republican) but overall Washington needs reform and it won't happen until people yell loud enough.  AOC claiming that Pelosi is racist is not going to help Democrats though. 
    So you voted for George Bush?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    That was a good one.
    Always enjoy your posts HFD.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Please close this thread.  It made me happy. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The real question is, What are we supposed to believe?  What ever it is, the best thing to do is NOT believe the first thing you read. 

According to several post here. AOC has called Pelosi a racist.  Or did she?

What do I think?  Honestly, to me, they're all starting to sound like idiots.  American politicians in general are forming a very good reason to consider anarchy.  Though I'm not fully supportive of the idea of anarchy, I do feel a certain draw to the the more moderate forms of anarchy which propose stateless societies utilizing volunteer associations.  In our inner connected and complex world, traditional government probably works best, but when the two leading parties in a major world power begin to exhibit pointless feuding based on emotional responses exercised by inept so-called leaders... maybe anarchy is the only viable alternative left from which to choose.

• Options
    Very confusing...  I'll chalk this up to the same thing as Harris criticizing Biden for busing, and then later saying she doesn't support busing..

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/452602-ocasio-cortez-explains-her-criticism-of-pelosi-says-shes-absolutely-not-racist
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Very confusing...  I'll chalk this up to the same thing as Harris criticizing Biden for busing, and then later saying she doesn't support busing..

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/452602-ocasio-cortez-explains-her-criticism-of-pelosi-says-shes-absolutely-not-racist
    Can't you just here Neil Young singing "FLIP...FLOP...FLIP...FLOP..."?!

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,284
    As well she should. Every time AOC opens her mouth or tweets, a new republican smile is born. 
    I completely agree. I know a few folks around here go with the narrative that she's a strong woman and that scares old, white Republicans. And that's fine if that's your point-of-view. Whatever. But I contend those Republicans love her and that she's a god-send for the GOP. Because of her high profile, everything she says gets attributed to the democratic party as a whole by the Hannitys of the world. She can say something that higher-ranking democrats like Pelosi and Schumer would never be onboard with, but once she says it, Hannity (or any Hannity-type) can say "Here's what the democrats are want to do...." 

Yep. She won a primary in one of the most liberal places in the country. That's it.

Republicans, moderate democrats, and independents (ALL people this party needs to defeat Trump) are not in lock step with everything she says at all....yet she is the most hyped up freshman congress person in the history of congress people. She's doing more harm than good in the effort to unseat this disaster of a president. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pelosi-defends-handling-of-squad-as-democrats-fume-about-ocasio-cortezs-top-aide/2019/07/11/985c52a6-a3e7-11e9-bd56-eac6bb02d01d_story.html?utm_term=.0cad81b1b20e

And for those without access..  

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday defended her treatment of four liberal freshman lawmakers, including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has accused her of targeting “newly elected women of color” through a series of public remarks dismissing their political influence inside the House. Pelosi refused to respond directly to Ocasio-Cortez’s accusation at a Thursday news conference but said she had to speak out to defend her moderate members after Ocasio-Cortez’s top aide accused them of racist actions. “Our members took offense at that. I addressed that. How they’re interpreting and carrying it to another place is up to them, but I’m not going to be discussing it any further,” Pelosi (D-Calif.) told reporters. Saikat Chakrabarti, Ocasio-Cortez’s chief of staff, referred to moderate Democratic groups in a tweet last month as “New Southern Democrats” who are “hell bent to do to black and brown people today what the old Southern Democrats did in the 40s.” The aide later deleted the tweet but posted other tweets saying the moderates’ actions — in this case, to pass a compromise border spending bill — “still enable a racist system.” The tweet has emerged as a key flash point in a simmering feud between Pelosi and “the Squad” — freshman Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.), Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) — one that burst into a full boil this week after simmering for months when Pelosi told the New York Times that the four “didn’t have any following,” citing their lonely votes last month against a Democraticcrafted bill to address the southern border crisis. 7/11/2019 Pelosi defends handling of 4 House women as Democrats fume about Ocasio-Cortez’s top aide - Ocasio-Cortez responded in an interview with The Washington Post: “When these comments first started, I kind of thought that she was keeping the progressive flank at more of an arm’s distance in order to protect more moderate members, which I understood,” she said. “But the persistent singling out . . . it got to a point where it was just outright disrespectful . . . the explicit singling out of newly elected women of color.” Ocasio-Cortez is of Puerto Rican descent, Pressley is African American, Omar is an African immigrant and Tlaib is Palestinian American. Pelosi said Thursday in response: “We respect the value of every member of our caucus. The diversity of it all is a wonderful thing. Diversity is our strength. Unity is our power. And we have a big fight, and we’re in the arena and that’s all I’m going to say on the subject.” Those comments came as other minority members of Pelosi’s caucus spoke up in her defense. Leaving a private member meeting Thursday morning, Rep. Gregory W. Meeks (D-N.Y.) said members were buzzing about both Chakrabarti’s tweet and Ocasio-Cortez’s remark. “All I can say is, I don’t know what she meant by that,” Meeks said of the “singling out” remarks. “Clearly the speaker has been inclusive of women of color. When you have a caucus like we have, that has been as diverse as ours, the speaker has been very inclusive.” The tweet was “insulting” and “a big issue,” he added. “To try to compare this to what African Americans went through? . . . I think the African American community deserves an apology for that.” Rep. Terri A. Sewell (D-Ala.), a New Democrat vice chair who is one of several moderate African Americans representing a Southern district, said she was subject to bigotry while growing up. “So, to even insinuate that I, or any other member of the New Dems, would promote policies that are racist and hateful or ones that would negatively impact communities of color is deeply offensive and couldn’t be further from the truth,” Sewell said in a statement. Some Democrats are looking for more than an apology from Ocasio-Cortez and Chakrabarti, a former leader of the Justice Democrats, a liberal activist group that has supported primary challenges against several veteran lawmakers. “They want him out,” said a senior Democratic aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe internal conversations, noting the Justice Democrats’ continuing advocacy for the ouster of several minority Democrats. Chakrabarti recently tweeted support for Jessica Cisneros, who is challenging Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Tex.). 7/11/2019 Pelosi defends handling of 4 House women as Democrats fume about Ocasio-Cortez’s top aide - The Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pelosi-defends-handling-of-squad-as-democrats-fume-about-ocasio-cortezs-top-aide/2019/07/11/985c52a6-a3e7-11e9-bd56-eac6bb02d01d_story.html?utm_ter… 3/4 Pelosi did not respond to a question about whether Chakrabarti should be penalized for his tweet. Corbin Trent, a spokesman for Ocasio-Cortez, declined to comment on the criticism of Chakrabarti. House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) said, “I think all staffers ought to allow their members to speak.” At a Wednesday meeting in Pelosi’s office, Rep. Derek Kilmer (D-Wash.), chairman of the New Democrat Coalition, told Pelosi in stark terms that moderates were irate about Chakrabarti’s tweet — specifically citing Sewell. Sewell has tried multiple times to discuss the matter with Ocasio-Cortez, Kilmer said in the meeting, but has not gotten her calls returned. Two people present described the exchange on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the meeting. “As the speaker says, our diversity is our strength and our unity is our power, and I think that’s true,” Kilmer said as he left Pelosi’s office Wednesday, declining further comment. A spokesman for Sewell declined to comment about the congresswoman’s interactions with colleagues. Earlier that day, Pelosi told fellow Democrats in a closed-door meeting not to air their grievances with other Democrats. Members or staff who feel inclined to publicly criticize a Democratic colleague should “think twice,” she said, before adding: “Actually, don’t do that: Think once.” “You got a complaint? You come and talk to me about it,” she continued, according to two people present for the remarks. “But do not tweet about our members and expect us to think that that is just okay.” Hoyer, who made a similar call for unity in Wednesday’s caucus meeting, declined to respond Thursday to Ocasio-Cortez’s remark. “I don’t really want to get in this back-and-forth,” he said. “I would hope it would stop.”
  • Options
    So you voted for George Bush?
    I did. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    brianlux said:
    The real question is, What are we supposed to believe?  What ever it is, the best thing to do is NOT believe the first thing you read. 

According to several post here. AOC has called Pelosi a racist.  Or did she?

What do I think?  Honestly, to me, they're all starting to sound like idiots.  American politicians in general are forming a very good reason to consider anarchy.  Though I'm not fully supportive of the idea of anarchy, I do feel a certain draw to the the more moderate forms of anarchy which propose stateless societies utilizing volunteer associations.  In our inner connected and complex world, traditional government probably works best, but when the two leading parties in a major world power begin to exhibit pointless feuding based on emotional responses exercised by inept so-called leaders... maybe anarchy is the only viable alternative left from which to choose.
    Well she didn't exactly say "Nancy Pelosi is a racist." But she did say that Pelosi was "explicitly singling out of newly elected women of color." If she wasn't implying it was about race, she wouldn't have said "women of color." Sure she's backtracking now, as she should. But it speaks to a larger problem with this woman that she would consider Pelosi "singling out women of color" instead of Pelosi "singling out four freshman that have been in the congress for less than one term that are  negatively affecting the party." But she'd be taking accountability to think like that. It's easier for her to play the race card. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

AOC and Pearl Jam are similar.  Both were young and had strong views about topics.  But they were also ignorant in how the system works and change works.  PJ eventually figured out that corporations weren't going anywhere, and corporations do support charitable causes, so instead of tearing down corporate logos, let's play private shows with them and use their money for good causes.  Lets partner with corporations on charitable causes. 

AOC is taking a scorched earth approach and it likely isn't going to work.  Time will tell. 

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    She's again looking like the Trump of the left. No understanding of the implications of her actions. No experience. No long-game. Goes with her gut. Says stupid stuff. Creates chaos. Creates squabbles and division within the party. Has a lot of enemies and a loyal base of support. It has worked for the orange guy so far. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    jeffbr said:
    She's again looking like the Trump of the left. No understanding of the implications of her actions. No experience. No long-game. Goes with her gut. Says stupid stuff. Creates chaos. Creates squabbles and division within the party. Has a lot of enemies and a loyal base of support. It has worked for the orange guy so far. 
    Both of them are idiots and I hope they go away in the next election. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    +1
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    Both of them are idiots and I hope they go away in the next election. 
    Just stop it. This is silly. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    Yes but the left should be better than that.  I fear they're not though. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Others from her own party are calling AOC out:
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/politics/ocasio-cortez-pelosi-singling-out/index.html
    Other lawmakers criticized Ocasio-Cortez's comments more directly. Rep. Lacy Clay of Missouri accused Ocasio-Cortez of using "the race card" in her comments to the Post.
    "What a weak argument," Clay said. "Because you can't get your way, and because you are -, you're getting pushback, you resort to use the race card? Unbelievable. Unbelievable to me."
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Getting AOC and Trump out of government isn’t going to fix the problem.  THey are where they are because the current government was the problem.  We need to totally clean house of party leadership on both sides and start over with people who are willing to work together and be happy getting 50% of what they ask for.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    Not even her own party can take that she is having opinions and want "real change", 

"S-s-she dares to try to move the needle, have opinions and shake up the status quo - l-l-eets get her and white middle aged men with agree with us on the world wide web"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Not even her own party can take that she is having opinions and want "real change", 

"S-s-she dares to try to move the needle, have opinions and shake up the status quo - l-l-eets get her and white middle aged men with agree with us on the world wide web"
    Nancy pelosi is now a white middle aged man? What’s with all this continued bullshit about white men? 
    hippiemom = goodness