Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

1464748495052»

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 12,408
    Here is a good topic she discusses.  Wage increases.

I hate when someone says "for a bartender, $174K a year is quite an increase!"  Sure it is but look where she has to live now, what her job entails, whom she has to hire.  That 55k all around for her staff won't last long if she wants to retain good people.

I like her stance on this and opposition to what she is advocating is pure uncalled for bias.

Thoughts?

First, I have no issue if there is a COLA in place for staff.  It's not clear to me whether this particular amendment was just for lawmaker COLA or for staff too.
    Second, I agree that the bartender from Queens swipe is stupid.
    Third, I think her argument on why they should get a raise, that it reduces the pressure to be corrupt, is completely flawed.  Quid pro quo type corruption in congress is related to money flowing into campaigns, not directly into the purses.  If you raking from your campaign, you are breaking the law and a 2% COLA every year isn't stopping that.  
    BTW, her staff money doesn't come out of her 174k.  That's her salary.  There's a budget for staff.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 18,550
    mrussel1 said:
    BTW, her staff money doesn't come out of her 174k.  That's her salary.  There's a budget for staff.  
    I know that, I was throwing it in there to support the raises.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 12,079
    It drives me nuts that congress is in charge of approving their own pay raises.  That said, something like a COLA keeps it more ethical.  I don't know what the right level of pay is, but a COLA seems reasonable.  

I think her point about people taking $ if they don;t get pay raises is pretty stupid though.  There was a COLA for a long time no?  Did it stop the lobbying?  Didn't think so.  Why can we just have an honest discussion about it.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    It drives me nuts that congress is in charge of approving their own pay raises.  That said, something like a COLA keeps it more ethical.  I don't know what the right level of pay is, but a COLA seems reasonable.  

I think her point about people taking $ if they don;t get pay raises is pretty stupid though.  There was a COLA for a long time no?  Did it stop the lobbying?  Didn't think so.  Why can we just have an honest discussion about it.  
    Congress controls the purse, so there really isn't another option Constitutionally speaking.  At the end of the day, it still needs to be a bill that the President signs, I believe.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 6,377

More of this in politics would be nice.  Yes, birth control should be free.  Anything to keep more people off the planet we should invest in.  Maybe abortion should free??? 
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 17,779
    ^ I'd like to see those two star in an ABC sitcom
    Jason P said:
    A remake of The Munster's...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 18,550
    Jason P said:
    "The All New Odd Couple"
    Jason P said:
    Ha!  
  • dignindignin Posts: 7,197
    Jason P said:
    Zing!

Ted Cruz Is A Vampire GIF - TedCruz Smile Morph GIFs
    Jason P said:
    Yes! one that gets cancelled and you never hear of the actors/actresses again!
    hippiemom = goodness
    Jason P said:
    If I never had to hear from Cruz again, and had to sacrifice AOC to make it happen... DEAL.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    If I never had to hear from Cruz again, and had to sacrifice AOC to make it happen... DEAL.  
    LOL...
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    For me, this deal isn’t having to give up anything I care about.
    hippiemom = goodness
    The new democrat mascot ...

You can focus on helping the homeless or helping a group that is a majority white privileged.  Hmm.  Who votes?  Homeless don't vote?  Well, then ...