Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    Interesting that AOC turned down this appointment. Is it because it doesn't have legislative or subpoena power? Is it because Pelosi refused the "requirement" that no one on the committee may have taken energy contributions?  Ideological purity always makes me nervous.  Better to have a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without. 

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/428916-pelosi-names-dems-to-new-climate-panel-but-not-aoc
    Hmmm is this what you get when you elect a lobbyist? 

She is not doing what I would hope a Congress person would do. Of course, the precedent was set by the republicans of not compromising on Obama agenda. But she seems to be following suit in the no compromise all or none bullshit line of thinking.
    In what way is AOC a lobbyist?
    She’s got an agenda and has been unwilling to compromise even in the early going. She seems like she has a lot to learn but it’s not trending in the right direction off the bat. Heck her own speaker continue to feel the need to smack her down. 
    i can understand what you are saying. but honestly, watch this and tell me it's not inspiring. 

https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2019/feb/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-brutal-take-down-of-us-political-finance-laws-video
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i'd like to see some of that energy in canadian politics. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Maybe she and Nancy are playing it safe? AOC has a diverse, minority liberal constituency. Nancy has to work with both sides and temper the passions. Best of both worlds. Shitty bill gets passed, AOC denies involvement and if a decent bill passes, that she supports, she claims credit for driving the establishment. The repubs just say no and further their decline into irrelevance. Climate change is on the radar of voters, both older and particularly the 35 and under crowd.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

mrussel1 said:
    Interesting that AOC turned down this appointment. Is it because it doesn't have legislative or subpoena power? Is it because Pelosi refused the "requirement" that no one on the committee may have taken energy contributions?  Ideological purity always makes me nervous.  Better to have a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without. 

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/428916-pelosi-names-dems-to-new-climate-panel-but-not-aoc

She is not doing what I would hope a Congress person would do. Of course, the precedent was set by the republicans of not compromising on Obama agenda. But she seems to be following suit in the no compromise all or none bullshit line of thinking.
    She’s got an agenda and has been unwilling to compromise even in the early going. She seems like she has a lot to learn but it’s not trending in the right direction off the bat. Heck her own speaker continue to feel the need to smack her down. 
    i can understand what you are saying. but honestly, watch this and tell me it's not inspiring. 

https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2019/feb/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-brutal-take-down-of-us-political-finance-laws-video
    Who wouldn't want that out of politics?

politicians and corporations
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mrussel1 said:

This was delightful
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    mrussel1 said:

I’ve already said I like her passion. My concern is having yet another person in Congress (or the President) that will not compromise. Lots of time left to see, but early on she seems to show she won’t compromise and Nancy is having to manage her. We will see what happens.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I’ve already said I like her passion. My concern is having yet another person in Congress (or the President) that will not compromise. Lots of time left to see, but early on she seems to show she won’t compromise and Nancy is having to manage her. We will see what happens.

Let's see if she can get some momentum going.  The Bronx may love her but the rest of the law makers need to follow suit.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mrussel1 said:

Nancy is not her boss superviser or manager.

AOC answers to her constituents only.

And again with the compromise... What has she been asked to compromise?  And why should she?  AOC was elected on a pretty clear set of principals and she's following thru on what she said she would.

Quit regurgitating the narrative : "Democrats won't compromise".  When conservatives say "the left won't compromise", what they mean is "the left won't do what we want them to". 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Nancy is not her boss superviser or manager.

AOC answers to her constituents only.

And again with the compromise... What has she been asked to compromise?  And why should she?  AOC was elected on a pretty clear set of principals and she's following thru on what she said she would.

Quit regurgitating the narrative : "Democrats won't compromise".  When conservatives say "the left won't compromise", what they mean is "the left won't do what we want them to". 
    Can people here really not look at issue independently?  I never said the Dem won't compromise.  AOC has only had a couple of opportunities so far and she has not done so WITHIN HER OWN PARTY.  So much so that Nancy feels the need to manage her.  

You keep posting stuff like its some eutopia and all you have to do is be true to yourself.  Well that's not true.  You must figure out how to get shit done.  So while a lot of people are excited about AOC, I think so far she has shown she isn't ready to be effective.

And your comment about her constituents is not true.  She had the Democratic nomination for the democratic party.  So she certainly has some need to answer to her party as well.  

Ironically it all has me thinking about the musical Hamilton.  Which does a nice job of telling historical events.  Hamilton can't get the vote to pass his proposal for the fed to take over state debts...which he wanted to create a fiscally strong nation.  So he agreed to add moving the capitol to DC in exchange for support from the southern states (mainly Jefferson and Madison).  Yes men and women and No men and women should have no place in Congress or the White House.  The republican congress when Obama was president was awful and set a very bad precedent. 

Anyhow - I admit it's very early and I imagine we will see more growing pains for AOC and people like her (younger, less experienced) in the future.  And while I don;t agree with her on some issues, I hope politicians become more like her WHILE she also becomes more like a politician.  We'd end up in a better place. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AljakpXAh7c&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

to be honest, I think this was more of a stunt than anything. she knows how to work the room and knows these types of things will end up online and most likely go viral, at least with the left, and possibly triggering the right while she's at it. she's looking for that reaction as the young upstart who is going to shake the place up. 

can you give an example as to what she hasn't compromised on? I know there was one bill she refused to sign because of one issue she had with it, but the details escape me at the moment. is there anything other than that one instance?

obviously, an uncompromising person is not what is ideal for getting stuff done, if it's across the board. I think I can agree with you there. but if there are issues that she is passionate about, platforms her constituents elected her on, then I see no issue, and could be argued it's her responsibility to stick to her guns on those issues. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

That’s just dumb. We know who buys them by their FEC filings, if you’re really interested. Team Trump Treason on the other hand, his jacket would be a hammer and sickle.
    Well, the hammer and sickle would make him a bit more popular with the communist Antifa crowd since they wear it on a regular basis...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

to be honest, I think this was more of a stunt than anything. she knows how to work the room and knows these types of things will end up online and most likely go viral, at least with the left, and possibly triggering the right while she's at it. she's looking for that reaction as the young upstart who is going to shake the place up. 

can you give an example as to what she hasn't compromised on? I know there was one bill she refused to sign because of one issue she had with it, but the details escape me at the moment. is there anything other than that one instance?

obviously, an uncompromising person is not what is ideal for getting stuff done, if it's across the board. I think I can agree with you there. but if there are issues that she is passionate about, platforms her constituents elected her on, then I see no issue, and could be argued it's her responsibility to stick to her guns on those issues. 
    She was asked to be on the new environmental commission and turned Pelosi down. I guess not, not compromising, specifically but that’s what it appears to be. Not working with her leadership.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

And on the issues...I mostly disagree. Our politicians aren’t suppose to be 1 issue voters. Heck look at where an unwillingness to compromise has gotten us with abortion, gun control, and even immigration.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

And on the issues...I mostly disagree. Our politicians aren’t suppose to be 1 issue voters. Heck look at where an unwillingness to compromise has gotten us with abortion, gun control, and even immigration.

I think it depends on which issue. if an elected official is digging in their heels about one issue, every single time, sure, I agree with you. But if it's one of her flagship causes, then yes, I say fight for it. 

Again, I don't know which issue she dug her heels in on, and if there was more than that one issue. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited February 2019
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    Yep.

I hope NY is happy now.

Starting a new thread about this.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    mrussel1 said:

AOC isn't a 1 issue politician though. One shouldn't expect a politician to always compromise. There are times with compromise is the wrong thing to do. I feel like AOC is actually setting a good example, not a bad one. Way too many politicians are way too willing to compromise the principles they were voted in for way too often.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I think it depends on which issue. if an elected official is digging in their heels about one issue, every single time, sure, I agree with you. But if it's one of her flagship causes, then yes, I say fight for it. 

Again, I don't know which issue she dug her heels in on, and if there was more than that one issue. 
    So far?

1) funding ICE
    2) Joining environmental committee with other Dems and repubs (cause she’s not interested in a committee compromise)

shes only had 2 opportunities 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

AOC isn't a 1 issue politician though. One shouldn't expect a politician to always compromise. There are times with compromise is the wrong thing to do. I feel like AOC is actually setting a good example, not a bad one. Way too many politicians are way too willing to compromise the principles they were voted in for way too often.
    Yeah I mean they don’t compromise even if only 1 issue they don’t agree with.

look, it’s way to early to tell with AOC. But that’s my concern for her and politicians like her. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    So this “New Green Deal” really includes providing economic security for those “unwilling to work”???  Sign me up for some of those “unwilling to work” benefits, lol. For real though...
    https://apps.npr.org/documents/document.html?id=5729035-Green-New-Deal-FAQ

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Nice. No shit. I’ll just stay home. Thanks AOC!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    So this “New Green Deal” really includes providing economic security for those “unwilling to work”???  Sign me up for some of those “unwilling to work” benefits, lol. For real though...

brutal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    PJPOWER said:

She seriously can't mean "unwilling to work," can she? Because that is about the dumbest thing I've heard in politics. Even including everything our current president has said.

And may be a dumb question, but what does 100% renewable energy mean? Does that mean no gas engine cars?

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

She seriously can't mean "unwilling to work," can she? Because that is about the dumbest thing I've heard in politics. Even including everything our current president has said.

And may be a dumb question, but what does 100% renewable energy mean? Does that mean no gas engine cars?

I was giving her the benefit of the doubt, but I now think her crazy eyes are befitting...
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yes no gas engine. No fossil fuels.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yes no gas engine. No fossil fuels.
    So her plan is to have zero gasoline powered cars on the road in 10 years?
    That won't happen in my lifetime, let alone 10 years.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:

So far?

1) funding ICE
    2) Joining environmental committee with other Dems and repubs (cause she’s not interested in a committee compromise)

shes only had 2 opportunities 
    Everyone is forgetting about the power plays she tried at the beginning of the Congress.  They failed. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Amazingly foolish on both points.