Options

Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    No
    I've decided on some soothing Tori Amos...
    https://youtu.be/OzFgpAOjAHA
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Yes
    Ive completely given up. Went out drinking with my anxioty. 
    Did you go out with friends, too, or just your anxiety? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,938
    Yes
    Finding love or feeling love is a very tough subject. 
    I always love so easily. 
    Sometimes  i feel its a bad trait sometimes good. 
    I think  its because i had a very traumatizing child hood with a lack of closeness  that  now im like the orphaned baby  chick asking if everyone  could be their mummy. 
    Sad .. and deep sorry.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited May 2019
    Yes
    Nancy, is it possible that we are the only ones who have given up all hope of finding romantic love? Good god people are optimistic! I thought Dyer would hang in there with us, but now he is out looking for millennials.
    I'm kind of with you, but for me the hope part is kinda moot. I stopped wanting to find romantic love altogether, so I'm not abandoning attempts to find it because I feel like what I want can't be found, but, rather, out of complete cynicism about romantic relationships altogether. I don't doubt I could find romantic love if I wanted to and actually tried to, but life is better without it as far as I'm concerned. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Nancy, is it possible that we are the only ones who have given up all hope of finding romantic love? Good god people are optimistic! I thought Dyer would hang in there with us, but now he is out looking for millennials.
    I mean, I certainly look. But I’m not looking.
  • Options
    No
    Yeah, I should've thought of a better way to word that post. I meant for it to sound more like PJ Soul's post, but instead I sound like I'm waiting to exhale or some shit. And my inarticulate ass brought Nancy down with me. Sorry Nancy!
  • Options
    No
    I mean, I certainly look. But I’m not looking.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. :tongue:
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    To the ladies:

Speaking at the Hay festival on Saturday, Paul Dolan, a professor of behavioural science at the London School of Economics, said the latest evidence showed that the traditional markers used to measure success did not correlate with happiness – particularly marriage and raising children.

“Married people are happier than other population subgroups, but only when their spouse is in the room when they’re asked how happy they are. When the spouse is not present: fucking miserable,” he said.

“We do have some good longitudinal data following the same people over time, but I am going to do a massive disservice to that science and just say: if you’re a man, you should probably get married; if you’re a woman, don’t bother.”

Men benefited from marriage because they “calmed down”, he said. “You take less risks, you earn more money at work, and you live a little longer. She, on the other hand, has to put up with that, and dies sooner than if she never married. The healthiest and happiest population subgroup are women who never married or had children,” he said.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    To the ladies:

Speaking at the Hay festival on Saturday, Paul Dolan, a professor of behavioural science at the London School of Economics, said the latest evidence showed that the traditional markers used to measure success did not correlate with happiness – particularly marriage and raising children.

“Married people are happier than other population subgroups, but only when their spouse is in the room when they’re asked how happy they are. When the spouse is not present: fucking miserable,” he said.

“We do have some good longitudinal data following the same people over time, but I am going to do a massive disservice to that science and just say: if you’re a man, you should probably get married; if you’re a woman, don’t bother.”

Men benefited from marriage because they “calmed down”, he said. “You take less risks, you earn more money at work, and you live a little longer. She, on the other hand, has to put up with that, and dies sooner than if she never married. The healthiest and happiest population subgroup are women who never married or had children,” he said.
    Deep down I knew I was doing it right!! 😉
  • Options
    I did it. I fucking did it.

I shouldn't have. But I couldn't help myself.

Fuck.

A moment of weakness.

I sent her the pic of Eddie with the koala. 

Fuck.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Posting a Tori Amos video... from one of her greatest albums..

... in another life you would be the one dumping me.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Yes

Fuck.

A moment of weakness.

Fuck.
    Why did you do that? I bet it was a lovely picture though.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Yes
    To the ladies:

Lol. I remember watching an interview with the oldest woman in the world (she just recently died - that Italian woman. She was like 117 or something). She was asked what she owed her long life to, and she said it was because she drank everyday and never married. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Yes

Fuck.

A moment of weakness.

Fuck.
    Uh-oh, spaghetti-o!
    Well... it will either lead to good things, or lead to the usual, which is ebbing back and forth until an end finally takes.
  • Options
    No
    Posting a Tori Amos video... from one of her greatest albums..

... in another life you would be the one dumping me.
    No, I think you would be doing the dumping. I'm definitely American, you would hate that...oh wait, is that why you said, "in another life"?  :smiley:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    To the ladies:

Men benefited from marriage because they “calmed down”, he said. “You take less risks, you earn more money at work, and you live a little longer. She, on the other hand, has tl put up with that, and dies sooner than if she never married. The healthiest and happiest population subgroup are women who never married or had children,” he said.
    I call bullshit on the italicized part, plus a couple others.

Further, I'm fortunate that I not only love my husband, but like him too.  Happiness isn't skipping around la-la-la-ing while wearing rosy glasses.  It's about living through some of life's worst blows together, and knowing there's no one else in the world we'd want with us in both good and bad times.  Vows and all...

In the end, if possible, do what's right for you.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    hedonist said:
    To the ladies:

Men benefited from marriage because they “calmed down”, he said. “You take less risks, you earn more money at work, and you live a little longer. She, on the other hand, has tl put up with that, and dies sooner than if she never married. The healthiest and happiest population subgroup are women who never married or had children,” he said.

Further, I'm fortunate that I not only love my husband, but like him too.  Happiness isn't skipping around la-la-la-ing while wearing rosy glasses.  It's about living through some of life's worst blows together, and knowing there's no one else in the world we'd want with us in both good and bad times.  Vows and all...

Well I for one took it rather tongue in cheek. I’m not single voluntarily so please leave me my illusion that it’s brilliant to be alone and free ;-) it’s so much easier to have all these happy(ish) couples around you when you’ve convinced yourself that you don’t need/want that. Works most of the time 😎
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636

Fuck.

A moment of weakness.

Fuck.
    That old Eddie pic? ...Man... 

...but I understand, at least you're honest! 
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    hedonist said:
    To the ladies:

Well I for one took it rather tongue in cheek. I’m not single voluntarily so please leave me my illusion that it’s brilliant to be alone and free ;-) it’s so much easier to have all these happy(ish) couples around you when you’ve convinced yourself that you don’t need/want that. Works most of the time 😎
    Oh, no worries!  I've just read similar articles / studies posted by the OP about what women supposedly want and what makes them happy.  I was offering a differing mindset.

For what it's worth, I figured I wasn't going to be with anyone long-term and that was fine...great, even.  But we met (here!) when I was in my early 30's and that was it.  I know of others here who've come together (no pun intended) in similar fashion.

Sometimes things simply go better when unplanned.  Regardless, enjoy the ride ;)

• Options
    No
    Isn't it Thoughts Arrive who posts the articles/studies about women? I don't really remember Spiritual ever doing that before, but then again I don't really read the AMT threads anymore.
  • Options
    No
    I could be wrong, but I think Spiritual was trying to make some of the single ladies feel better about being single.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    I could be wrong, but I think Spiritual was trying to make some of the single ladies feel better about being single.
    He was just being informative I believe. 

I think that some people luck out and have relationships where there is both romantic love and a best friend relationship, those are marriages that work. They have ups and downs but they are happy people. I also believe there are some people who  stay together because they don't want to be alone. Those people are not happy, per se, they feel safe in what they know. Then there are bad marriages where both people are miserable but people get used to the cycle of fight, make up, calm, fight, make up, calm, etc. 

Some people will continue to get into relationships no matter how bad the last one was. They NEED to be in a relationship. And I think that we all want to be in relationships for a good part of our lives but sometimes when you've been through so much shit, you just don't know how to even start again. If I was in a good marriage right now, that would be great, but I'm not and I really don't want to start from the beginning and go through the whole process of getting to know someone. I want to be in the comfortable part of the relationship. I don't want to work to get to that point. I am tired, I've given my all too many times and the last one was just an evil f&ck who messed me and my son up. 

I think that men need to be in relationships more than women. As a generalization, every man is different. Women seem to stay single after the death of a husband or a bad divorce after a certain age, but men seem to be remarried quite quickly. Again, not all men or women adhere to this stereotype. 

I don't need a man to take care of me, provide for me, fix things for me - I can do all of that stuff myself. I did it all when I was in my major relationships, so I don't need a man for anything but sex. Since I'm not a one night stand person and I don't drink so I'm not gonna be able to lose my inhibitions and go for it, I'm kind of fucked (opposite pun). I don't want to have someone live with me, I have been single for so long that I am used to functioning without a partner.

It would be nice to have someone who had my back or who could take care of me when I am really sick or give me a break when I'm overwhelmed. But I have never had a man do that for me so I have no idea what that would be like. I just know it would be nice but I won't have that cause I won't do what it takes to get to that part of a relationship. I don't need a caretaker, I need a support system. I am the caretaker. 

There comes a point when responsibilities and the effects of what has happened just make relationships a non-priority. I have bad PTSD that needs to be dealt with, a sick mother and a son with multiple problems. I also have health concerns, financial problems and the thought of dealing with this old house when my mom passes is overwhelming. A husband would be great to have right now, but that didn't happen. It would be great to have my brother and sister but that didn't happen either. So it doesn't look very promising, or very important at this point in my life. I had a blast in my teens, twenties and early thirties, and I loved being a mother before all the traumatic shit happened. So you take the good and the bad and create a new life for yourself. I'm  still figuring that out.

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,938
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    He was just being informative I believe. 

I think that some people luck out and have relationships where there is both romantic love and a best friend relationship, those are marriages that work. They have ups and downs but they are happy people. I also believe there are some people who  stay together because they don't want to be alone. Those people are not happy, per se, they feel safe in what they know. Then there are bad marriages where both people are miserable but people get used to the cycle of fight, make up, calm, fight, make up, calm, etc. 

Some people will continue to get into relationships no matter how bad the last one was. They NEED to be in a relationship. And I think that we all want to be in relationships for a good part of our lives but sometimes when you've been through so much shit, you just don't know how to even start again. If I was in a good marriage right now, that would be great, but I'm not and I really don't want to start from the beginning and go through the whole process of getting to know someone. I want to be in the comfortable part of the relationship. I don't want to work to get to that point. I am tired, I've given my all too many times and the last one was just an evil f&ck who messed me and my son up. 

I think that men need to be in relationships more than women. As a generalization, every man is different. Women seem to stay single after the death of a husband or a bad divorce after a certain age, but men seem to be remarried quite quickly. Again, not all men or women adhere to this stereotype. 

I don't need a man to take care of me, provide for me, fix things for me - I can do all of that stuff myself. I did it all when I was in my major relationships, so I don't need a man for anything but sex. Since I'm not a one night stand person and I don't drink so I'm not gonna be able to lose my inhibitions and go for it, I'm kind of fucked (opposite pun). I don't want to have someone live with me, I have been single for so long that I am used to functioning without a partner.

It would be nice to have someone who had my back or who could take care of me when I am really sick or give me a break when I'm overwhelmed. But I have never had a man do that for me so I have no idea what that would be like. I just know it would be nice but I won't have that cause I won't do what it takes to get to that part of a relationship. I don't need a caretaker, I need a support system. I am the caretaker. 

There comes a point when responsibilities and the effects of what has happened just make relationships a non-priority. I have bad PTSD that needs to be dealt with, a sick mother and a son with multiple problems. I also have health concerns, financial problems and the thought of dealing with this old house when my mom passes is overwhelming. A husband would be great to have right now, but that didn't happen. It would be great to have my brother and sister but that didn't happen either. So it doesn't look very promising, or very important at this point in my life. I had a blast in my teens, twenties and early thirties, and I loved being a mother before all the traumatic shit happened. So you take the good and the bad and create a new life for yourself. I'm  still figuring that out.

Nancy this is very insightful and honest. I can see myself in the above post
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    I think this has more to do with tradition and history, than a natural order. 

Women has, historically, spent their life looking after and serving a man. While a man has spent there life being served. 

Women I would think would to a large extent feel "relieved" to not have to do that anymore. They are free.
    Men on the other hand, don't know what to do when being thrown out of this Hotel-life of his and will try to find it again.

I remember when my aunt passed, her husband didn't know how to cook even. He just started buying TV-dinners. When we visited once some time after he had "catered" food for us.

I think that aspect will change with our generation.
  • Options
    No
    njnancy said:

Women has, historically, spent their life looking after and serving a man. While a man has spent there life being served. 

Women I would think would to a large extent feel "relieved" to not have to do that anymore. They are free.
    Men on the other hand, don't know what to do when being thrown out of this Hotel-life of his and will try to find it again.

I remember when my aunt passed, her husband didn't know how to cook even. He just started buying TV-dinners. When we visited once some time after he had "catered" food for us.

Maybe after all of those home cooked meals, he just wanted to eat Hot Pockets and tiny chicken pot pies.
  • Options
    njnancy said:

Maybe after all of those home cooked meals, he just wanted to eat Hot Pockets and tiny chicken pot pies.
    Double-entendre? ;)

• Options
    No
    hedonist said:
    njnancy said:

Double-entendre? ;)

Lol! 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    hedonist said:
    njnancy said:

Double-entendre? ;)

Lol! 
    Menage a trois?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    njnancy said:

Double-entendre? ;)

Lol! 
    Menage a trois?
    As long as there's no Tour d'Eiffel.
  • Options
    Yes
    hedonist said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    hedonist said:
    To the ladies:

Oh, no worries!  I've just read similar articles / studies posted by the OP about what women supposedly want and what makes them happy.  I was offering a differing mindset.

For what it's worth, I figured I wasn't going to be with anyone long-term and that was fine...great, even.  But we met (here!) when I was in my early 30's and that was it.  I know of others here who've come together (no pun intended) in similar fashion.

Sometimes things simply go better when unplanned.  Regardless, enjoy the ride ;)

For sure. I have no intention of getting into a relationship at all, but if something just falls straight in my lap, it's not like I'm going to straight up reject one of those super strong connections that just happen. I'm not a psychopath. :lol: