• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    hedonist said:
    To the ladies:

Speaking at the Hay festival on Saturday, Paul Dolan, a professor of behavioural science at the London School of Economics, said the latest evidence showed that the traditional markers used to measure success did not correlate with happiness – particularly marriage and raising children.

“Married people are happier than other population subgroups, but only when their spouse is in the room when they’re asked how happy they are. When the spouse is not present: fucking miserable,” he said.

“We do have some good longitudinal data following the same people over time, but I am going to do a massive disservice to that science and just say: if you’re a man, you should probably get married; if you’re a woman, don’t bother.”

Men benefited from marriage because they “calmed down”, he said. “You take less risks, you earn more money at work, and you live a little longer. She, on the other hand, has tl put up with that, and dies sooner than if she never married. The healthiest and happiest population subgroup are women who never married or had children,” he said.
    I call bullshit on the italicized part, plus a couple others.

Further, I'm fortunate that I not only love my husband, but like him too.  Happiness isn't skipping around la-la-la-ing while wearing rosy glasses.  It's about living through some of life's worst blows together, and knowing there's no one else in the world we'd want with us in both good and bad times.  Vows and all...

In the end, if possible, do what's right for you.
    Well I for one took it rather tongue in cheek. I’m not single voluntarily so please leave me my illusion that it’s brilliant to be alone and free ;-) it’s so much easier to have all these happy(ish) couples around you when you’ve convinced yourself that you don’t need/want that. Works most of the time 😎
    Oh, no worries!  I've just read similar articles / studies posted by the OP about what women supposedly want and what makes them happy.  I was offering a differing mindset.

For what it's worth, I figured I wasn't going to be with anyone long-term and that was fine...great, even.  But we met (here!) when I was in my early 30's and that was it.  I know of others here who've come together (no pun intended) in similar fashion.

Sometimes things simply go better when unplanned.  Regardless, enjoy the ride ;)

For sure. I have no intention of getting into a relationship at all, but if something just falls straight in my lap, it's not like I'm going to straight up reject one of those super strong connections that just happen. I'm not a psychopath. :lol:
    If a dude fell into my lap with a super strong connection and THEY weren't a psycho or sociopath, I'd be willing to go with the flow. I don't see anything falling into my lap that has that kind of connection though unless we get into a Weather Girls situation and I rip off the roof and lay in bed, it's raining men. (Hallelujah) 

Psychopaths would always go for the relationship, esp if it fell in their lap. Sociopaths too. The psychopath would end the relationship after they had their fun and it would be a possible deadly ending. Sociopaths would stick around and torment behind the facade of being a good guy. 

I think that you would go with the lap situation because you're not psychotic. :smiley:
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    No
    How did this discussion go from Hot Pockets to psychopaths?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Working title of Jim Gaffigan's memoir?
  • Options
    No
    Oh okay, carry on ...
  • Options
    Yes
    This thread has no integrity so you never know where it's gonna go. We've been through many lands in these 100 pages. 

Here's a gift for my fellow pre-spinster....

She did what she had to do. :smiley:

https://youtu.be/l5aZJBLAu1E

• Options
    edited May 2019
    No
    Holy shit, I never knew Giancarlo Esposito was in that video! :wink:
    Thanks, Nancy! 

Happy Page 100!!!  :joy::joy::joy:
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    No
    Agnes Trivia:
    Does anybody know, after 100 pages, what color of hair/eyes Agnes has? :confounded:
  • Options
    Yes
    Agnes Trivia:
    Does anybody know, after 100 pages, what color of hair/eyes Agnes has? :confounded:
    Agnes remains an enigma. 
  • Options
    No
    I think all should be revealed on page 100. We should be able to pick her out of a lineup. We should know all of her hopes and dreams. 

We don't even know what beer she likes!?! :skull:
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The only thing I remember from this thread is "Taylor ham."
  • Options
    No
    Taylor ham?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    Yes
    Oh yeeeeaaaah. Taylor Ham! Those crazy Jersey people.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    No
    :rofl:

• Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hey now!  You messin' with some fine food there!

And they write songs about us Jersey Girls. :kiss:

A short article about the love affair Northern Jersey has with Taylor Ham. (South Jersey has fine beaches but the residents think they own them, and they know fine crabs but otherwise they're quite confused). I think it's the Manhattan connection vs the Philly connection. Need I say more??

https://www.northjersey.com/story/entertainment/dining/2018/07/11/taylor-ham-named-most-iconic-nj-food/774500002/

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hey now!  You messin' with some fine food there!

And they write songs about us Jersey Girls. :kiss:

A short article about the love affair Northern Jersey has with Taylor Ham. (South Jersey has fine beaches but the residents think they own them, and they know fine crabs but otherwise they're quite confused). I think it's the Manhattan connection vs the Philly connection. Need I say more??

https://www.northjersey.com/story/entertainment/dining/2018/07/11/taylor-ham-named-most-iconic-nj-food/774500002/

I have to admit, it looks pretty good fried up!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    No
    Well, I'm just going to start making shit up since Spiritual is ignoring this thread. Agnes has one green eye and one brown eye. She has a mohawk of grey hair. And she dresses like Dexys Midnight Runners.
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Well, I'm just going to start making shit up since Spiritual is ignoring this thread. Agnes has one green eye and one brown eye. She has a mohawk of grey hair. And she dresses like Dexys Midnight Runners.
    But she’s nice and has a great personality...
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    People say she reminds them a bit of Audrey Hepburn. Brunette. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    No
    I like my version better. Why go on a Roman Holiday when you can go to the Thunderdome instead?

• Options
    No
    I haven't seen either movie. 
  • Options
    I haven't seen either movie. 
    Haha. Don't really remember Thunderdome. But Roman Holiday is worth a watch.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    No
    Anybody feel like derailing for a bit?

What love songs were your jam before you even really knew what love was all about?

"I'll Be There For You" was really popular when I was in middle school, but I preferred this Bon Jovi gem...
    https://youtu.be/2fyRWHJnFlo

• Options
    No
    Oh gross I didn't know he ruined the ending of the song! I didn't watch the whole thing before I posted it. Dammit.
  • Options
    No
    Play us a KISS song, S_C, you know you want to. 
  • Options
    Play us a KISS song, S_C, you know you want to. 
    You get an overlooked one, that I find great (honest blog):

https://youtu.be/KvdCyvv4ML8

If you want one from growin up:

https://youtu.be/p2Rch6WvPJE
  • Options
    No
    Excellent! I had that Toni Braxton single back in the day.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    No
    How are you feeling, S_C? Are you talking to her again?
  • Options
    Feel sad. It's just so fucking irritating.
  • Options
    No
    Feel sad. It's just so fucking irritating.
    It is, but we know you'll return to normal eventually. ;):tongue:
  • Options
    Fuck.. just started "trying to finish" an animated short I started way back in 2015, and there is a recorded voice over going through it and the voice over mentions a couple of girls and how they broke the heart of this boy... and the last girls name I wrote back then is the same as Miss-fuck-your-jokes. 

Haha. What a damn coincidence.