Options

Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• Options
    In Sweden you are not allowed to sell alcohol if you do not offer some kind of food. As in, places can't just sell alcohol.
    That could be interpreted as just selling chips, or do they mean proper meals? 

REQUIREMENTS FOR FOOD There should always be access to a varied range of cooked or otherwise prepared food. The food must be cooked in the kitchen and must not consist of only prefabricated ingredients. However, after 23:00 it can be enough with a few simple dishes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited February 2019
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just picked up two nice bottles of Pinot Grigio for dinner tonight. Headed to an excellent local Italian place.  
    Isn't part of earing at "excellent" places that they recommend a wine to the dish you pick...?
    Well it is a byob so it is impossible. However even when I am at a restaurant with a liquor liscense I drink what I like. 
    Okey wait, so the places that has "byob" are places that don't offer alcohol ?
    Correct, byob is bring your own. Some places might have local wine for sale (it is a different type of liquor liscense) but I could bring wine, beer, vodka, etc...
    If a place sells alcohol (has a liquor license) you cannot bring your own alcohol into the restaurant. Not in these parts of New Jersey. If a restaurant does not have a liquor license, it is up to  them if they allow BYOB. A lot of them do, because only a certain amount of liquor licenses are allotted for each town and there are more restaurants & bars & corner stores than liquor license allotments in my one square mile municipality.

A place has to go out of business before someone connected   the next person on the waiting list gets a liquor license. 

I have been able to bring bottles of "fooze" (fake wine- taken from my personal dialect combining fake and booze. Fake and wine becomes "fine" and that just didn't work for me)  into some establishments that serve alcohol, but it's definitely not a given and I only have tried for special occasions. 

I have only ever found one restaurant (on Long Island) that served dealcoholized wine while almost all sell fake beer. I don't like fake beer because I liked real beer very much. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited February 2019
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just picked up two nice bottles of Pinot Grigio for dinner tonight. Headed to an excellent local Italian place.  
    Isn't part of earing at "excellent" places that they recommend a wine to the dish you pick...?
    There are people who have way better taste in wines than what a restaurant offers honestly (i have people in my family who can do WAY better than any restaurant and have a wine fridge to back it up). But the point of this being legal is to stop allowing the restaurants to crazily gouge people via their bottled wine menus if the customer doesn't want to be crazily gouged. The markup is so high that it was deemed ridiculous, basically, so the law gave consumers another option, since wine is so accepted as a part of a nice meal. Almost like a right to drink wine without being financially raped, lol. That seems like something anyone could get behind!
    Your vision of this practice doesn't meet reality. You seem to be envisioning it as a seedy kind of thing, when in fact it's the opposite.

I did go to a BYOB Mike Watt show in Montana once. Everyone just carried their own booze into this clothing store that had been cleared out and set up with a little stage. It was very strange, and I was surprised it was legal. And there were some people there who got so fucking drunk they couldn't stand and who really caused problems during the show.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Yes
    In Sweden you are not allowed to sell alcohol if you do not offer some kind of food. As in, places can't just sell alcohol.
    What, even actual liquor stores??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    There are people who have way better taste in wines than what a restaurant offers honestly (i have people in my family who can do WAY better than any restaurant and have a wine fridge to back it up). But the point of this being legal is to stop allowing the restaurants to crazily gouge people via their bottled wine menus if the customer doesn't want to be crazily gouged. The markup is so high that it was deemed ridiculous, basically, so the law gave consumers another option, since wine is so accepted as a part of a nice meal. Almost like a right to drink wine without being financially raped, lol. That seems like something anyone could get behind!
    Your vision of this practice doesn't meet reality. You seem to be envisioning it as a seedy kind of thing, when in fact it's the opposite.

I did go to a BYOB Mike Watt show in Montana once. Everyone just carried their own booze into this clothing store that had been cleared out and set up with a little stage. It was very strange, and I was surprised it was legal. And there were some people there who got so fucking drunk they couldn't stand and who really caused problems during the show.
    Maybe Swedish sommeliers take their jobs a little more seriously than Canuck sommeliers.

I know that NYC/Brooklyn sommeliers turned us on to some fantastic wines back when we drank wine. There were definitely other restaurants where we'd bring our own, but akin to what S_C was saying, the convenience of having someone whose whole livelihood is basically tied to his/her knowledge of wine and pairing assist you with your choice and sometimes steering you away from your tried and true usual choices did heighten the overall dining out experience -- at least for us.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    No
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, they have to also sell a fucked up version of pizza or tacos.  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, I was talking about pubs etc. 

gothenburg had an exception to this rule, a ”beer hall” that was deemed historically important. But I Wonder If they are still an exception because last time I was there I saw they offered sandwiches at the bar. Could be an AW thing more than because of a rule change Ofcourse. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Finally hanging out with Agnes tomorrow. She might go with me to look at a cat I might airport, or pick up some shoes I bought. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Yes
    Finally hanging out with Agnes tomorrow. She might go with me to look at a cat I might adport, or pick up some shoes I bought. 
    Sounds like y'all are already married. Will she hold your purse for you while you pick up your shoes? 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Finally hanging out with Agnes tomorrow. She might go with me to look at a cat I might adport, or pick up some shoes I bought. 
    Sounds like y'all are already married. Will she hold your purse for you while you pick up your shoes? 
    Lucky I'm from Sweden where equality and the view of men and women have come further than this.
  • Options
    Yes
    dankind said:
    Lucky I'm from Sweden where equality and the view of men and women have come further than this.
    I'm not disagreeing because my silly joke was certainly poking fun at ridiculous accepted/assumed US gender roles/domesticity for a cheap laugh.

Having said that, we all know what happens when we assume. We've got an admittedly anecdotal and small sample size here that would refute the inverse of your statement and the foundation of my joke. If one were to read the more personal posts regarding domestic life, gender roles, etc. closely enough here from our fellow fans from the US who happen to have a y chromosome (outside of AMT posters and dinosaurs like @Wobbie, that is), I think that the notion of the entire US being backward in its views regarding men and women falls apart.

I'm not saying that the US isn't still fucked six ways from Sunday in this regard -- we do still have a lot further to go until we reach Swedish levels of gender equality -- I'm just saying that assuming that the entire US (including its women) is still cool with mid-20th century bullshit is just that -- bullshit.  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    I'm not disagreeing because my silly joke was certainly poking fun at ridiculous accepted/assumed US gender roles/domesticity for a cheap laugh.

Having said that, we all know what happens when we assume. We've got an admittedly anecdotal and small sample size here that would refute the inverse of your statement and the foundation of my joke. If one were to read the more personal posts regarding domestic life, gender roles, etc. closely enough here from our fellow fans from the US who happen to have a y chromosome (outside of AMT posters and dinosaurs like @Wobbie, that is), I think that the notion of the entire US being backward in its views regarding men and women falls apart.

I'm not saying that the US isn't still fucked six ways from Sunday in this regard -- we do still have a lot further to go until we reach Swedish levels of gender equality -- I'm just saying that assuming that the entire US (including its women) is still cool with mid-20th century bullshit is just that -- bullshit.  
    I was just being jokey back. I know many in the US (And especially on here) don't have 50s views on these topics - Except for @mcgruff10 of course who is still firmly stuck there.

Haha.
  • Options
    Yes
    Nobody counts Scruffy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,841
    Yes
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I was just being jokey back. I know many in the US (And especially on here) don't have 50s views on these topics - Except for @mcgruff10 of course who is still firmly stuck there.

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!
    "How is it possible to drink a beer with a friend who's female?"

From the last season of this hit show.
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!

I still stand behind that remark.  I just shoveled snow off my wife’s car, feels like 1955 all over again lol
  • Options
    Yes
    My wife does all the snow shovelling. I love gender equality!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,750
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!

I still stand behind that remark.  I just shoveled snow off my wife’s car, feels like 1955 all over again lol
    In 1955 your wife likely wouldn't have had a car. And if she did, the kids would have been out there to shovel it for you.

As it is, you should have had her traveling, vacation, drinking, slumber party bestest guy friend take care of it for her. That's the kind of thing modern people do.

=)  Sorry, I had to give my $.02
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Yes
    dankind said:
    My wife does all the snow shovelling. I love gender equality!
    You lazy piece of masshole. 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!

In 1955 your wife likely wouldn't have had a car. And if she did, the kids would have been out there to shovel it for you.

As it is, you should have had her traveling, vacation, drinking, slumber party bestest guy friend take care of it for her. That's the kind of thing modern people do.

Yeah she wants to go away with her friend that s a guy to some
    place called hedonism in jamaica. I am on the fence about it. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,750
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!

Dude! Quit living like it's still the 50's. They are just friends and she wants a tan without the tan lines. Besides, if the just so happen to see each other without clothes at this all inclusive (free flowing liquor) clothing optional Jamaican resort, it will be okay. They are just friends. They totally don't see each other that way. They are practically brother and sister and there is no way he is secretly in love with her. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    I GOT A FINGER ON THE TRIGGER AND A MATCH TO THE FUSE
  • Options
    No
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!

If that's true, and I'm hoping it's not, I will feel awful for you. Who wants to be put in that position? 
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!

If that's true, and I'm hoping it's not, I will feel awful for you. Who wants to be put in that position? 
    I was only kidding.  
  • Options
    No
    That's not very supportive, is it? You'll figure it out, mcgruff. You've got this. 
  • Options
    Yes
    Don't worry about Scruffy. He doesn't let his wife out of the kitchen -- unless it's for a trip to the laundry room. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    No
    dankind said:
    Don't worry about Scruffy. He doesn't let his wife out of the kitchen -- unless it's for a trip to the laundry room. :lol:
    :rofl:
  • Options
    Yes
    dankind said:
    She s allowed in the other rooms only when she is cleaning. 
  • Options
    No
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!

I was only kidding.  
    That was a good Valentine's trick. Don't ever do that again.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Finally hanging out with Agnes tomorrow. She might go with me to look at a cat I might airport, or pick up some shoes I bought. 
    Cats > shoes.

Every time.

Please be sure to post a pic of the kitty, should the rescue happen.