• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes good idea
    280 SEK for a bottle of wine here so £23 or $30

Works? 
    $30 is the cheapest bottle or the norm?
    Id say the Cheapest i guess. The ”house wine”
    Say what??? $30 is the cheapest wine you can buy?! Am I understanding that correctly? If so, Sweden just fell in the ranks for me, lol.
    A bottle at the bar. 

Not a bottle at the store
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes good idea

Works? 
    Say what??? $30 is the cheapest wine you can buy?! Am I understanding that correctly? If so, Sweden just fell in the ranks for me, lol.
    A bottle at the bar. 

Oooohhhh. Phew! In that case, that's not bad. Do you guys have corking charges there? Here we are now able to bring our own wine to restaurants, but the establishment charges a corking fee, which in some cases is ridiculously high. But in other cases, it's still worth it if you want a bottle of wine. The corking fee might be $25 - $40, which seems insane until you consider that the cheapest bottle you can buy in that particular restaurant is $50 or $60.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    Please don't let this turn into another wine thread. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes good idea

Works? 
    A bottle at the bar. 

Oooohhhh. Phew! In that case, that's not bad. Do you guys have corking charges there? Here we are now able to bring our own wine to restaurants, but the establishment charges a corking fee, which in some cases is ridiculously high. But in other cases, it's still worth it if you want a bottle of wine. The corking fee might be $25 - $40, which seems insane until you consider that the cheapest bottle you can buy in that particular restaurant is $50 or $60.
    That sounds weird - bringing your own alkohol? Haha. Never heard of it. I think it is strictly forbidden here to bring in alcohol to places that sell alcohol. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    It’s pretty common to be able to bring your own wine to a restaurant. It’s not the standard, but even restaurants in my little podunk town do it. I’ve recently started seeing BYOB at restaurants, but in my experience these tend to be places in bigger cities and that don’t serve beer.
  • Options
    Can I bring my own alcohol to the restaurant?
    - No, not in Sweden. Not that you would consume there.
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Now I'm going to this vegan place to drink a beer or two, and might eat something.

Swedish nachos?  You need to come to New Mexico for these.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    No
    Wow that looks great!

Isn't this motherfucker meant to be about crust sauce and cheese?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes good idea

Works? 
    A bottle at the bar. 

That sounds weird - bringing your own alkohol? Haha. Never heard of it. I think it is strictly forbidden here to bring in alcohol to places that sell alcohol. 
    Here in Ontario we can bring our own wine, if the establishment allows, and they have cork fees...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes good idea

Works? 
    A bottle at the bar. 

Here in Ontario we can bring our own wine, if the establishment allows, and they have cork fees...
    Sounds weird. 

"We're going out tonight honey, grab a bottle of wine and lets hit the town". 

Or on a date

"No need checking the wine menu hotstuffs, I brought my own"
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes good idea

Works? 
    A bottle at the bar. 

Sounds weird. 

Or on a date

It’s great. Saves a lot of money. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    camsjam said:
    Now I'm going to this vegan place to drink a beer or two, and might eat something.

Wow does that look tasty.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    No
    BYO is a thing in many places here
    ...liquor licenses are absurdly expensive and tough to get.

• Options
    Yes
    camsjam said:

Damn that looks awesome. I haven’t been to New Mexico in years, might have to go back soon. 
  • Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes good idea

Works? 
    A bottle at the bar. 

Sounds weird. 

Or on a date

Nothing says class like showing up wine in a paper bag...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So How much for a plate If you bring your own food (BYOF)?
  • Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes good idea

Works? 
    A bottle at the bar. 

Sounds weird. 

Or on a date

Plastic bag is better. 
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes good idea

Works? 
    A bottle at the bar. 

Sounds weird. 

Or on a date

Plastic bag is better. 
    The reusable bags are the best...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Yes
    Just picked up two nice bottles of Pinot Grigio for dinner tonight. Headed to an excellent local Italian place.  
  • Options
    Yes
    So How much for a plate If you bring your own food (BYOF)?
    Nope just BYOB unless you are attending pot luck...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just picked up two nice bottles of Pinot Grigio for dinner tonight. Headed to an excellent local Italian place.  
    Isn't part of earing at "excellent" places that they recommend a wine to the dish you pick...?
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    Isn't part of earing at "excellent" places that they recommend a wine to the dish you pick...?
    Well it is a byob so it is impossible. However even when I am at a restaurant with a liquor liscense I drink what I like. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Well it is a byob so it is impossible. However even when I am at a restaurant with a liquor liscense I drink what I like. 
    Okey wait, so the places that has "byob" are places that don't offer alcohol ?
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    They offer alcohol.  When Ontario brought in "bring your own wine option", the reason given was that some restaurants don't carry a particular wine that someone wants, plus for those who make their own, this gives them the option to bring their own.  The BYOB option is limited to wine, the restaurants wanted to have that option.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Correct, byob is bring your own. Some places might have local wine for sale (it is a different type of liquor liscense) but I could bring wine, beer, vodka, etc...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Correct, byob is bring your own. Some places might have local wine for sale (it is a different type of liquor liscense) but I could bring wine, beer, vodka, etc...
    I wonder if that's allowed in swedish restaurants that do not have alcohol selling permits. Interesting work-around if you don't have a permit for whatever reason. Hmm.

You learn something new every day.
  • Options
    No
    Corkage fee structure are for places that sell stuff but allow you to bring your own, for a fee 
    BYOB places (here at least) are places that don't have their liquor licenses...so if you want booze / wine / beer you bring it.  Some folks have fancy cases to carry their fancy wines in 
  • Options
    In Sweden you are not allowed to sell alcohol if you do not offer some kind of food. As in, places can't just sell alcohol.
  • Options
    Yes
    In Sweden you are not allowed to sell alcohol if you do not offer some kind of food. As in, places can't just sell alcohol.
    Breweries in New Jersey can only sell beer, no food.  Liquor laws are wacky. 
  • Options
    Yes
    That could be interpreted as just selling chips, or do they mean proper meals? 
    Give Peas A Chance…