Options

Kavanaugh

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    tbergs said:
    Listened to an NPR interview this morning with Missy Carr defending Kavanaugh.  The interview shows that if you are left thinking Kavanaugh is a liar and if you are on the right Ford is a liar.

No matter which way this goes, the conspiracy theorists will be out in force.
    I don't subscribe to some of the crazy on the right, but how is Kavanaugh not a liar?
    I'll flip it for you as I hear both sides of the coin and this is what A Kavanaugh defender says.

How is she not?  Fear of flying, second door in the house, What house, how'd she get home, doesn't remember how she got there, the former boyfriend just came out with a statement that attacks her credibility.

Just what is the issue that people see as significant with “fear of flying”? 
    Credibility is what they are saying.  If she was afraid of flying then why was she.
    That's what I hear most people say, but that wasn't my take on it.
    My take was a more subtle sleight, pointing out how this was intentionally delayed.  
    Setting up for the fact she said she was holding out for an offer for them to come to CA. And now they are claiming they did offer to come out but the lawyers possibly messed up the communication.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    Listened to an NPR interview this morning with Missy Carr defending Kavanaugh.  The interview shows that if you are left thinking Kavanaugh is a liar and if you are on the right Ford is a liar.

I don't subscribe to some of the crazy on the right, but how is Kavanaugh not a liar?
    I'll flip it for you as I hear both sides of the coin and this is what A Kavanaugh defender says.

How is she not?  Fear of flying, second door in the house, What house, how'd she get home, doesn't remember how she got there, the former boyfriend just came out with a statement that attacks her credibility.

Credibility is what they are saying.  If she was afraid of flying then why was she.
    That's what I hear most people say, but that wasn't my take on it.
    My take was a more subtle sleight, pointing out how this was intentionally delayed.  
    Setting up for the fact she said she was holding out for an offer for them to come to CA. And now they are claiming they did offer to come out but the lawyers possibly messed up the communication.
    Yes, that was the other angle that I read too.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Honestly, people are complaining about that, and you are accepting of that argument? Because that a pretty crappy thing to do to someone. 

Almost half of people are afraid of flying to one degree or another, and yet most people do fly, if they have to. Most people muscle through it, with Ativan or alcohol or just willpower. 

I had a bad bike accident on an icy road more than 20 years ago, I am still terrified of cycling on the ice, but I do. I cycle year round and when it’s icy, or I even think it’s icy, I am anxious my whole ride. I hyperventilate as I ride over bridges and arrive at work all tense, but I still do it. It hasn’t gotten any better, either. 

So, am I lying about being afraid of cycling on icy roads? 

You'll have to take the argument up with the right as I agree with you.  The other things I listed are also attacking her credibility.

Again, this is what I read that the right /conservatives are discussing.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,639
    edited October 2018

tbergs said:

How's Kavanaugh's credibility after lying last week? Shouldn't perjury immediately disqualify him from the Supreme court?

Are you asking me or asking what the republicans think?

I believe I misinterpreted your comments.

Apologies... disregard.

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    If he gets through, then @mcgruff10 and @unsung and whoever had to sell their Bruce albums can never again try to argue that the US  belong even in the discussion about the greatest countries in the world.

And that is even with Unsung even having no problems mocking Sexual Assault victims. The US is done. It's over. No trophy for you.

Lindsey Graham and the Swinging Swampers orchestra.
    I don't own any Bruce albums but I'd be happy to use Kiss albums as target practice.  ;)
    Lol, why waste the bullet on a Kiss album?  Just throw it in the trash :)
    I knew that eventually we would come to full agreement on something.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802

Here's a running list of Kavanaugh's lies, mony of which were under oath. They have all been proven demonstrably false. None of them rely on Ford's credibility. https://www.gq.com/story/all-of-brett-kavanaughs-lies
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,037
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    If he gets through, then @mcgruff10 and @unsung and whoever had to sell their Bruce albums can never again try to argue that the US  belong even in the discussion about the greatest countries in the world.

And that is even with Unsung even having no problems mocking Sexual Assault victims. The US is done. It's over. No trophy for you.

I don't own any Bruce albums but I'd be happy to use Kiss albums as target practice.  ;)
    The hatred of kiss brings all of us together. I love it. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ummmm While I haven't listened to them in a long time.... I like Kiss.  Queen and Kiss were my 2 entry bands to Rock.  Welll 2 of 4 (with probably ACDC and Motley Crew)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ummmm While I haven't listened to them in a long time.... I like Kiss.  Queen and Kiss were my 2 entry bands to Rock.  Welll 2 of 4 (with probably ACDC and Motley Crew)
    Don't worry about Scruffy. He's a dork. His music tastes are very questionable at best.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Don't worry about Scruffy. He's a dork. His music tastes are very questionable at best.
    "Your boyfriend is a dork... McLovin"
    - Lil Pump
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This is coming from the guy who still drinks zima on the weekend. 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

The problem being why wait until the weekend?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He usually puts the jolly ranchers in on Monday so they really adhere to the zima. Ideal Soakage time is right around five days. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He usually puts the jolly ranchers in on Monday so they really adhere to the zima. Ideal Soakage time is right around five days. 
    Soooooo kegger at Brett's this weekend to celebrate the big W tomorrow? Bring your own Zima. I don't know how you boof the jolly ranchers though, uf-da.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

• Options
    edited October 2018
    dignin said:

Powerful and impressive piece of art. A picture is worth a thousand words, but can contain just as many if so desired.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

Powerful and impressive piece of art. A picture is worth a thousand words, but can contain just as many if so desired.
    Time covers have been killing it these past few years.
  • Options
    With the FBI "investigation" concluded I think this needs to be reposted here.

A powerful political cartoon depicting the assault of Lady Justice has gone viral in the wake of recent allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh The graphic image is an explicit reference to how California professor Christine Blasey Ford described an alleged sexual assault by Kavanaugh when they were both in high school in 1982
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

Something something lib'rul media something something fake news something something facts and book learning is fer coastal elites something something
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

Something something lib'rul media something something fake news something something facts and book learning is fer coastal elites something something
    The age of Trump.

When people can say stupid stuff like this and think they have a valid point.

"One word: Professors. Lol.  Too funny.  Like anyone should care what academics that couldn't cut it in the real world say."  
  • Options
    dignin said:
    CM189191 said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

The age of Trump.

"One word: Professors. Lol.  Too funny.  Like anyone should care what academics that couldn't cut it in the real world say."  
    Burn your books! Close the schools! We don't need no....
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002
    edited October 2018
    And for the record, I actually don't agree with some of Kavanaugh's stances.   And I have no idea if Ford is telling the truth.

But, that's irrelevant. That's the point.  Everyone is just presuming the reality they want.  

It's ok to voice displeasure over his judicial decisions.  It's ok to support Ford (or Kavanaugh).  But, both sides are creating realities that just don't exist.  That's the problem with our politics, and why while the way it's delivered could be better, Trump has a point about the media.  They are not helping the situation (on either side) by being op-ed pieces masquerading as factual news.  Just give us the facts, not slanted headlines. Let us decide.
    As an example, the way the news reports:

Senators got a chance Thursday morning to learn the results of a quick, limited FBI investigation into sexual misconduct accusations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, a day before a crucial test vote on his confirmation.

The way an objective report should be:

Senators got a chance Thursday morning to learn the results of a 3 day FBI investigation into sexual misconduct accusations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh that included interviews with 10 people related to 2 of the accusations, a day before a crucial test vote on his confirmation.

Then I can make up my mind that it was quick and limited.  Why is the reporter telling me their opinion? It's not an opinion piece.
    Find me one news messenger who's delivered an impartial message on any side (at any point in history).

This is just another structural problem in America. You are asking for ethics from people whose ethical behaviour negatively impacts their objectives - whether that's a politician collecting from lobbyists, or a media conglomerate recognizing an epidemic of seeking like opinions to reinforce bias (whether correct or not). 

These are the groups we have relinquished power to, as we've collectively fought diversity of thought so we could be right instead of righteous. An honest question for anyone reading this, how the fuck do you have faith that we aren't collectively doomed?

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,639
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    CM189191 said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

The age of Trump.

Beware of any groups that vilify academia or higher learning.

It's almost as if no one has learned anything from history.

• Options
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    CM189191 said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

The age of Trump.

Beware of any groups that vilify academia or higher learning.

It's almost as if no one has learned anything from history.

Yeah, and while we're at it, let's throw some gas on stay at home parents. Just fucking losers who can't get a job.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

The Senate Should Not Confirm Kavanaugh Signed, 1,000+ Law Professors (and Counting)

OCT. 3, 2018

The following letter will be presented to the United States Senate on Oct. 4. It will be updated as more signatures are received.

Judicial temperament is one of the most important qualities of a judge. As the Congressional Research Service explains, a judge requires “a personality that is even-handed, unbiased, impartial, courteous yet firm, and dedicated to a process, not a result.” The concern for judicial temperament dates back to our founding; in Federalist 78, titled “Judges as Guardians of the Constitution,” Alexander Hamilton expressed the need for “the integrity and moderation of the judiciary.”

We are law professors who teach, research and write about the judicial institutions of this country. Many of us appear in state and federal court, and our work means that we will continue to do so, including before the United States Supreme Court. We regret that we feel compelled to write to you, our Senators, to provide our views that at the Senate hearings on Sept. 27, Judge Brett Kavanaugh displayed a lack of judicial temperament that would be disqualifying for any court, and certainly for elevation to the highest court of this land.

The question at issue was of course painful for anyone. But Judge Kavanaugh exhibited a lack of commitment to judicious inquiry. Instead of being open to the necessary search for accuracy, Judge Kavanaugh was repeatedly aggressive with questioners. Even in his prepared remarks, Judge Kavanaugh described the hearing as partisan, referring to it as “a calculated and orchestrated political hit,” rather than acknowledging the need for the Senate, faced with new information, to try to understand what had transpired. Instead of trying to sort out with reason and care the allegations that were raised, Judge Kavanaugh responded in an intemperate, inflammatory and partial manner, as he interrupted and, at times, was discourteous to senators.

As you know, under two statutes governing bias and recusal, judges must step aside if they are at risk of being perceived as or of being unfair. As Congress has previously put it, a judge or justice “shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.” These statutes are part of a myriad of legal commitments to the impartiality of the judiciary, which is the cornerstone of the courts.

We have differing views about the other qualifications of Judge Kavanaugh. But we are united, as professors of law and scholars of judicial institutions, in believing that he did not display the impartiality and judicial temperament requisite to sit on the highest court of our land.

Signed, with institutional affiliation listed for identification purposes only, by the following:

See link for the list of over 1000 Law Professors.

One word: Professors.

Lol.  Too funny.  Like anyone should care what academics that couldn't cut it in the real world say.  
    Hey look! We got a real genuine Trump voter right here!

Say it with me now, dumb is good.....smart bad!
    Since you're so smart, where did I say that?  Too funny.

The problem is the Libs think they're smarter than everyone else.  Don't worry, keep thinking that. That's why we're all laughing at you.  
     Image result for haha libs this is fine meme

You probably think the UN was laughing with Trump too.
    Wait.  Wait. Wait. I like these types of response.  So, am I dog and my house is on fire?   On the other hand - I AM a dog that can both sit like a human in a chair, apparently drink coffee AND speak!!!!    Can the libs do that?

And who cares what the UN does?  Does anyone really think it has any import other than giving Foreign Nationals an opportunity to visit and flout NYC parking laws?
    Look at it for a little bit longer, I'm sure in time you can get it. People may think I'm wasting my time thinking a Trump supporter could figure it out, but I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

‘one of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water’ - The guy you voted for

Oh!!! Now I get it. I'm going to drink the coffee and then pee out the fire finally doing my final revenge on all fire hydrants.  It's wet as wet can be.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

The Senate Should Not Confirm Kavanaugh Signed, 1,000+ Law Professors (and Counting)

OCT. 3, 2018

The following letter will be presented to the United States Senate on Oct. 4. It will be updated as more signatures are received.

Judicial temperament is one of the most important qualities of a judge. As the Congressional Research Service explains, a judge requires “a personality that is even-handed, unbiased, impartial, courteous yet firm, and dedicated to a process, not a result.” The concern for judicial temperament dates back to our founding; in Federalist 78, titled “Judges as Guardians of the Constitution,” Alexander Hamilton expressed the need for “the integrity and moderation of the judiciary.”

We are law professors who teach, research and write about the judicial institutions of this country. Many of us appear in state and federal court, and our work means that we will continue to do so, including before the United States Supreme Court. We regret that we feel compelled to write to you, our Senators, to provide our views that at the Senate hearings on Sept. 27, Judge Brett Kavanaugh displayed a lack of judicial temperament that would be disqualifying for any court, and certainly for elevation to the highest court of this land.

The question at issue was of course painful for anyone. But Judge Kavanaugh exhibited a lack of commitment to judicious inquiry. Instead of being open to the necessary search for accuracy, Judge Kavanaugh was repeatedly aggressive with questioners. Even in his prepared remarks, Judge Kavanaugh described the hearing as partisan, referring to it as “a calculated and orchestrated political hit,” rather than acknowledging the need for the Senate, faced with new information, to try to understand what had transpired. Instead of trying to sort out with reason and care the allegations that were raised, Judge Kavanaugh responded in an intemperate, inflammatory and partial manner, as he interrupted and, at times, was discourteous to senators.

As you know, under two statutes governing bias and recusal, judges must step aside if they are at risk of being perceived as or of being unfair. As Congress has previously put it, a judge or justice “shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.” These statutes are part of a myriad of legal commitments to the impartiality of the judiciary, which is the cornerstone of the courts.

We have differing views about the other qualifications of Judge Kavanaugh. But we are united, as professors of law and scholars of judicial institutions, in believing that he did not display the impartiality and judicial temperament requisite to sit on the highest court of our land.

Signed, with institutional affiliation listed for identification purposes only, by the following:

Lol.  Too funny.  Like anyone should care what academics that couldn't cut it in the real world say.  

The problem is the Libs think they're smarter than everyone else.  Don't worry, keep thinking that. That's why we're all laughing at you.  

Wait.  Wait. Wait. I like these types of response.  So, am I dog and my house is on fire?   On the other hand - I AM a dog that can both sit like a human in a chair, apparently drink coffee AND speak!!!!    Can the libs do that?

And who cares what the UN does?  Does anyone really think it has any import other than giving Foreign Nationals an opportunity to visit and flout NYC parking laws?

The organization was established on after World War II with the aim of preventing another such conflict?

That UN?

You're right, the analogy isn't accurate.  If you were this dog, you're more likely to be in the corner licking your balls while the house burns down around you.  
    You guys are so easy. Ummm. I know the history of the UN. I also know it's ACTUAL power.  As in none. It prevents nothing.  As witnessed by the numerous wars and such that have happened since.    
  • Options
    https://apple.news/A_ytSzh3AQtqsHKLf-jK6BA
    Yep they will confirm him tomorrow and this sends a clear sign to all women this president & senate don’t care at all if you get violated or sexually assaulted they just gave you a big middle finger to swallow with your lunch !
    You guys are so dramatic.  It does not mean that at all.  It means a lot of other things, but it does not mean that at all.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    I don't understand how repubs wouldn't flip based on Kavanaugh lying....he fucking lit up that hearing
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Sort of like Obama and the Democraps ramming through Obamacare that took Billions away from Medicare Beneficiaries AND increased costs of the healthcare system without letting anyone read the bill?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

OCT. 3, 2018

Look at it for a little bit longer, I'm sure in time you can get it. People may think I'm wasting my time thinking a Trump supporter could figure it out, but I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

‘one of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water’ - The guy you voted for

Oh!!! Now I get it. I'm going to drink the coffee and then pee out the fire finally doing my final revenge on all fire hydrants.  It's wet as wet can be.
    Rsultat de recherche dimages pour superman missed the point