Options

Kavanaugh

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    my2hands said:
    Some people seem to have difficulty understanding the culture of wealthy, white male privilege and how that plays out, from high school age to being nominated to the Supreme Court at 53. Why are the questions directed at the women? And who do you think is more likely to be telling the truth, the guy who doesn’t want an fbi investigation but went on Faux News to defend his honor or the multiple women who have come forward combined with the other known knowns? And why is his best friend holed up in a beach house? What’s he hiding or afraid of?
    So because of white make privilege girls hang out with known gang rapists just waiting their turn?

I'm not doubting any allegations or supporting this scumbag, but to act like that isnt a legitimate/interesting question is a little silly to me. 

She said she knew they were drugging girls and gangbraping them with a line at the bedroom door.... and she continues to hang out with them for 2 years, basically just waiting her turn to get drugged? I don't know man, I find that a bit odd. 
    What did or do high school age kids think of “rats?” How were “rats” treated? What happened to the “rat” who got everyone in trouble or ruined their fun for the weekend, week, month or year? What happened to the “rat” that brought unwanted scrutiny to the group? Who wants to be the “rat?” And you have to understand the “culture” back then. Colleges and universities have multiple hour classes on how to speak up in those types of situations. 35 or 36 years ago? Kids feared being a “rat” and there weren’t classes on how to speak up and out over questionable behavior.
    Yeah, there is more education, but this kind of thing is still alive and well in high schools and colleges. I think people underestimate the power of social groups for people at those ages.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Realizing there would need to be a Constitutional Amendment change to make this happen, but would you liberals allow this scenario in this order:

1)  Appoint Judge Kavanaugh immediately.
    2)  Do complete FBI investigation - if proven guilty, he is removed and we start over again.  If not guilty, life goes on
    Why? That would just give him the opportunity to participate in SCOTUS decisions in the meantime, and then if he was removed later, any decision made while he sat would be brought into question. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Some people seem to have difficulty understanding the culture of wealthy, white male privilege and how that plays out, from high school age to being nominated to the Supreme Court at 53. Why are the questions directed at the women? And who do you think is more likely to be telling the truth, the guy who doesn’t want an fbi investigation but went on Faux News to defend his honor or the multiple women who have come forward combined with the other known knowns? And why is his best friend holed up in a beach house? What’s he hiding or afraid of?
    All of this. 

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Jason P said:
    A few things to consider for those looking with a pair of far right or far left sunglasses ... 1) You would have to be an insane person to have been behind a rape gang in high school and then decide to accept a supreme court nomination knowing the scrutiny you would come under.  2)  It would suggest that democratic, republican, and nonpartisan people involved in the vetting process are incompetent beyond logical comprehension to the point they should have their future job applications rejected at Arbys.

But look at how the GOP has sheltered his information from the beginning.  None of the sexual assault allegations would have been part of that but they definitely shielded a lot of his documents from review prior to confirmation hearings.
    Would it make sense for a party, either past or present, to carefully vet a supreme court candidate and nominate any person that they know was behind a rape gang in high school thinking they could shield that from coming forward at some point?  It is plausible that he engaged in sexual assault with a woman in his past and was able to keep that concealed but being behind a rape gang? 

This has gone from an alleged sexual assault behind closed doors, to flapping penises in peoples faces in front of multiple witnesses, to being behind an orchestrated gang rape gang in a matter of a few weeks.  I'm kind of interested that they delay the nomination a few more weeks to see how this is one-upped.

At least we will have some resemblance of disclosure when Ford testifies tomorrow.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Old habits die hard, it seems. Once again some are putting the onus on the women to stop men’s behaviour. ”Why did the women hang around and let this happen?” “Why didn’t they just walk out and refuse to go to any other parties?”  “Why didn’t they report it to their parents or the police”. 

Why didn’t actresses just refuse to meet with Harvey Weinstein? Because they all knew that was what you had to do, to get work, and they didn’t see any way of changing the system. 

Why don’t female employees and executives just refuse to go along with workplace harassment? Because they all know that is what you have to do to keep your job, and they didn’t see any way of changing the system. 

Why didn’t female students just walk out of parties, report the harassment to their parents and teaches and police? Because they all knew that is what you put up with from men to be accepted, and they didn’t see any way of changing the system. 

Why is it always up to the women to stop men’s behaviour? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    So because of white make privilege girls hang out with known gang rapists just waiting their turn?

I'm not doubting any allegations or supporting this scumbag, but to act like that isnt a legitimate/interesting question is a little silly to me. 

She said she knew they were drugging girls and gangbraping them with a line at the bedroom door.... and she continues to hang out with them for 2 years, basically just waiting her turn to get drugged? I don't know man, I find that a bit odd. 
    What did or do high school age kids think of “rats?” How were “rats” treated? What happened to the “rat” who got everyone in trouble or ruined their fun for the weekend, week, month or year? What happened to the “rat” that brought unwanted scrutiny to the group? Who wants to be the “rat?” And you have to understand the “culture” back then. Colleges and universities have multiple hour classes on how to speak up in those types of situations. 35 or 36 years ago? Kids feared being a “rat” and there weren’t classes on how to speak up and out over questionable behavior.
    Yeah, there is more education, but this kind of thing is still alive and well in high schools and colleges. I think people underestimate the power of social groups for people at those ages.
    How many phone recordings are there of sexual assualt with multiple people involved, either willingly or as witnesses or have it forwarded to them and never say a word? Even today? It ususally takes a parent who stumbles upon it to report it or a rumour goes out and a school administrator starts asking questions or calls the police. That's today with video evidence. Imagine trying to chase down a rumour 35 or 36 years ago in a culture of wealthy, powerful, privileged youth and their parents?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    And to be on the record, I don't think the people vetting are incompetent.  I think they are probably the best at what they do and have unlimited resources to dig up information and will use any means necessary to obtain it.
  • Options
    I think this is really a simple case of Trump and the GOP just not giving a shit if someone is a piece of human garbage. Trump literally surrounds himself with people like this, and is a person like this himself.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    Old habits die hard, it seems. Once again some are putting the onus on the women to stop men’s behaviour. ”Why did the women hang around and let this happen?” “Why didn’t they just walk out and refuse to go to any other parties?”  “Why didn’t they report it to their parents or the police”. 

Why didn’t actresses just refuse to meet with Harvey Weinstein? Because they all knew that was what you had to do, to get work, and they didn’t see any way of changing the system. 

Why don’t female employees and executives just refuse to go along with workplace harassment? Because they all know that is what you have to do to keep your job, and they didn’t see any way of changing the system. 

Why didn’t female students just walk out of parties, report the harassment to their parents and teaches and police? Because they all knew that is what you put up with from men to be accepted, and they didn’t see any way of changing the system. 

I dont agree with that, not to this extreme.
    Sure, some rude behavior, maybe some touching even. But a full on line of guys waiting their turn for a rape?
    I have to ask myself what is more plausible:
    That this third accusation is accurate and that hundreds of people were aware, men and women, that multiple girls were getting raped by dozens of men on a regular basis and not a single one of them were decent enough of human beings to report a gang rape, or that this story is at best exaggerated or possible made up?
    I just don't buy the "rat" defense, high school students, even in the 80s, knew that a gang rape was wrong. You could maybe scare 1 or 2 witnesses into silence, but not hundreds as described.
    I'm not saying I know she's making this up, but I can say there are parts of this story that don't add up to me and make me question it.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    Question: she knows these guys are drugging and gang raping girls in 1981... and she continues to hang out with them, becoming a victim herself in 1982? 

What am I missing?

You know it has no bearing on this SCOTUS appointment but it is a very good question to be asking her (ask to understand).  Cause that is some seriously scaring shit right there.  Knowing what is going on and continually putting yourself at risk....scary indeed.
    It's common, not unusual. You can find girls who do this in literally every high school and college in America.
    I gotta ask, is it really common for girls to think guys are drugging or getting girls drunk, locking them in a room and guys lining up outside the room each taking a turn?  That doesn;t seem common at all to me.  I'm sure the drugging/alcohol could probably be called common...but gang bangs?  Really?  Without any girls saying anything?  I sure hope that's not common.  And it's what has me interested in her perspective as to why she and no one else said anything.
    What I meant was common is girls continually putting themselves at risk. I didn't mean the specifics of this case.
    Although weird and dangerous sexual activity among teens are a LOT more common that you seem to think, including gang bangs, "sex clubs", rape, etc. Yes. I'm afraid it's not terribly uncommon at all. Also, sexual harassment is literally the NORM. I did an indepth research project on that, interviewed students at schools, and 92% of high school girls reported conduct by boys that constituted overt sexual harassment and assault (including groping without consent, etc). What really disturbed me was that hardly any of those girls even realized what was happening was sexual harassment and abuse. They were literally simply so used to it as normal behaviour by the boys that they never reacted, even though it made them uncomfortable and feel negative feelings that affected their self-worth. It's terrible. They go along with it because they feel that if they don't they will be ostracized, and that is practically worse than death for many young people.
    Scary stuff.  And after reading your post a few times I got really concerned if gang bangs with drugged girls while other girls knew and partied really concerned me if common.  I'm aware that there is way too much sexual harassment/assault and even some dangerous sexual activity that is consensual to "fit in" or be cool...but you are right that it probably happens more than I can imagine.
    And people can get used to pretty much anything. Girls often grow numb to such things... that's part of why they don't report until decades later, when they finally come to terms with just how fucking bad things were.
    Man, the stories, either first hand or from what I observed, from high school would probably make your hair curl (although FTR, I happened to be someone who would NOT just sit around and keep hanging with such people... but honestly, I was kind of a black sheep. I know many of my peers would and did). The thing about all this stuff is that adults rarely know about it. Young people don't talk about this stuff to parents or teachers or anything, obviously, especially not if they're actually involved or close to it in any way. Kids know that if they let on about such things, their parents would never let them out of the house again!

I was in high school in the early 80's and, just speaking to the climate of the time, this kind of behavior is sadly not out of the ordinary. Not all guys acted this way, but it was in no way unusual for a guy to grab you while you were walking through the halls between classes. Parties always had drinking and drugs involved, though not all people participated, and there was no idea of 'no means no' back then. Girls were sluts and guys were untouchable. If you were at a party and you drank and someone came on to you, you were a tease if you didn't comply and unwanted touching was 'no big deal'. It was a boy's world. Especially if the that boy was an athlete, especially if that boy was a really good athlete. A girl's word would be ridiculed, actually it would be cause to be labeled a slut. Yes, if you were assaulted without your consent, the girl was to blame. And if the girl was drinking, she was a slut and deserved it. Why did we continue to go to parties? Because we didn't know any better and wanted to go out on the weekend. There was no alternate view. You went to parties at your own risk. You watched what you said, where you were, who was there. But we drank and shit happened and there was no one who gave a damn. Maybe there were some adults but it was drummed into our heads that it was our fault. Boys will be boys. Don't rock the boat. 

If you had a boyfriend and you did anything with them - we're not even talking intercourse - it was known to people the next day. And god forbid you actually enjoyed fooling around with your boyfriend. That was only allowed for the guys. Girls were not held in esteem when it came to sex. It was a very confusing and disturbing time and I am not saying that this means that all of these allegations are true. I'm just saying that normal intelligent girls went to parties and were subjected to sexual harassment on a regular basis. And we were taught to be ashamed, of our sexuality, of our bodies and did not even think we could talk to our friends about it. Go to the police? Are you kidding me? You know who had relatives on the police force? Not me. 

This whole thing makes me glad that I do not have a daughter because it seems that not much has changed since the 80's. And I know I am not the only person who finds all these allegations to be what was considered acceptable behavior in the 80's. If a girl was being gang raped - well what did she expect? She went to a party and got drunk, she got what she deserved. And listening to women, WOMEN, defending this culture makes me so angry. I see women on TV laughing about how normal it is for teenage boys to get drunk and grope women. Get over it. That is why women don't report sexual assaults, we're not even sure if what happened was an assault. Men overly touching in the workplace? How can a woman who came from that era even know what the hell to do and it leaves us ashamed and quiet and pissed. 

This isn't accusing anyone on here of saying these things are okay. But I"m telling you that this is the kind of shit that went on all the time. Why would a woman continue going to a party? Should we all have stayed home because men rule the world and you never know what type of party you are walking into? I think the better question is why is it a woman's fault that men behaved badly at parties that we had every right to attend without fearing being victimized. 

I know I struggled with a woman's independence and thinking this was wrong, but still falling into the mindset of being silent and compliant. 

Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think this is really a simple case of Trump and the GOP just not giving a shit if someone is a piece of human garbage. Trump literally surrounds himself with people like this, and is a person like this himself.

It sickens me when I talk with people that I respect that total dismiss these claims just because they are Republicans.

I totally believe these women in this case, but how can I know for sure?  It is scary that one or two people can come forward and take someone down.  A good thing when claims are true, not good when claims are false.  Will we be able to get good people to run in the future if they are going to subject their families to deal with false claims?

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247

We're pretty good as a society at victim blaming women. It's getting better, but it was definitely completely shit in the early 80's without involving a group of privileged wealthy prep school boys. We had a tuition based catholic elementary school where I grew up that went through 6th grade, so when we got to 7th grade everyone was thrown together. Man, those kids were some of the most foul mouthed and self righteous dicks in the high school. Didn't have to deal with that type of attitude again until I went to a private college. And that was the late 90's. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Sure, some rude behavior, maybe some touching even. But a full on line of guys waiting their turn for a rape?
    That this third accusation is accurate and that hundreds of people were aware, men and women, that multiple girls were getting raped by dozens of men on a regular basis and not a single one of them were decent enough of human beings to report a gang rape, or that this story is at best exaggerated or possible made up?
    I just don't buy the "rat" defense, high school students, even in the 80s, knew that a gang rape was wrong. You could maybe scare 1 or 2 witnesses into silence, but not hundreds as described.
    I'm not saying I know she's making this up, but I can say there are parts of this story that don't add up to me and make me question it.
    Where are you getting the "hundreds" number from? Its not likely that there were hundreds of witnesses 35 or 36 years ago. Georgetown Prep has a current boarding and day school enrollment of 491 students. Holten Arms has a current enrollment of 655 students in grades 1 through 12. How do you know "hundreds of people were aware?" Ever been to a house or frat party, or any party with hundreds of people? Ever notice how there were multiple smaller parties going on in different parts of the house, field, room, basement, woods, etc.?

Some people seem to lack life experience, are completely unaware of the psychology and sociology behind human behavior or just don't want to believe women. Or, if they're not convicted in a court of law, there is no validity to the allegations. Was Bill Clinton convicted? Yet y'all so willingly view him as guilty as charged. And give Trump a pass.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Before the Penn State findings and the Catholic church cases, would you have believed that was happening to the extent it was with so many people involved not coming forward?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:

Before the Penn State findings and the Catholic church cases, would you have believed that was happening to the extent it was with so many people involved not coming forward?
    Good point. But those were men coming forward, not vindictive women with an axe to grind.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    so Trump just tweeted about Avenatti and said that he is a total low-life and called him a 3rd rate lawyer.  looks really bad
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    And to be on the record, I don't think the people vetting are incompetent.  I think they are probably the best at what they do and have unlimited resources to dig up information and will use any means necessary to obtain it.
    I think the public information that keeps coming out would beg to differ. I think they are doing the type of vetting they usually do, but got burned this time because the vetting process sucks, clearly. If you've ever been involved in a full on background then it would be clear this one was shit. We do a terrible job of vetting, especially for president and SCOTUS nominees.
  • Options
    Realizing there would need to be a Constitutional Amendment change to make this happen, but would you liberals allow this scenario in this order:

1)  Appoint Judge Kavanaugh immediately.
    2)  Do complete FBI investigation - if proven guilty, he is removed and we start over again.  If not guilty, life goes on
    Thanks for your clearly partisan opinion on this matter. You obviously have no issues with pushing this through. We should always just hire/appoint people with these minor types of accusations, no matter what the job.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Jason P said:
    I think the public information that keeps coming out would beg to differ. I think they are doing the type of vetting they usually do, but got burned this time because the vetting process sucks, clearly. If you've ever been involved in a full on background then it would be clear this one was shit. We do a terrible job of vetting, especially for president and SCOTUS nominees.
    The vetting was done by the Team Trump Treason Administration who the POTUS' son in law needed 4 attempts to get his security clearance application "right." So either the Team Trump Treason Administration did a real shitty job vetting Kavanaugh, because they desparately want him, and him alone, on the court, or Kavanaugh was truthful and they chose to ignore it because they knew they were going to ram his nomination through or Kavanaugh lied since day one. Which excuse do you prefer?

Oh those pesky dem women, ruining everything.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

why do people jump to this type of response to a very obvious question... I am not saying women have to stop anything or victim blaming... is this where we are now, cant even have an honest conversation

Girl witnesses multiple gang rapes by same group of guys... lines at the door.... she knows fully well what they are doing.... so she hangs around these scumbags for two years drinking and partying until she is victimized? And im the bad guy for asking if anybody else finds that odd? Lol, yeah ok. I give more credit to women that some of you apparently
  • Options
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:

Good point. But those were men coming forward, not vindictive women with an axe to grind.

Exactly.

I have been very careful to weigh my words when I do post so that I'm not saying one side is definitively right. I can't do that anymore. Do you know how many women are feeling re-traumatized right now. I am angry and ashamed. This is real and I believe all the allegations. I find no reason to sugarcoat it anymore. This guy is like lots of guys I knew in high school and he has had a free pass for his whole life. He doesn't give a hoot about these women and that is the worst part. 

He hasn't even evolved enough to say that he acted like an ass in school and he has changed and he is sorry for what he did. His insistence on portraying himself as a church attending, homework focused athlete who treated women with dignity is infuriating.. He is lying about little things and big things which makes me believe that he is lying about everything. 

The bad behavior is one thing but the fact that he refuses to admit to even drinking to excess, when he belonged to the 100 Keg Club, is disqualifying. He has not been honest and that is what disqualifies him. He believes he is special, how dare anyone say otherwise. And Trump should keep his mouth shut when dealing with women and bad behavior. 

Sorry, but I can't be objective. I find the whole situation disgusting. I will step away.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mace1229 said:

Since your attitude essentially is “I don’t believe it because it seems to be too bad to be believed”, I think we can basically disregard it. History is full of things that were too bad to be believed until we had proof, and even in this very thread we’ve had people confirming that these sorts of events occurred. I don’t know why we should care that you personally find it hard to believe just because, as a guy, you didn’t experience it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:

I guess I never thought about it. It completely depends, I don't recall the details but I just assumed the boys were isolated or with other victims when it happened, and in that case I would not expect many to come forward. Its not like a priest molested a kid in front of the whole church and they all kept quiet because they wanted to look cool.
    If it happened in front of dozens of witnesses multiple times, then yes I'd be shocked.
    Its like the US Gymnast doctor, he never molested a girl in front of dozens of others, it was always individually (and also from a person of authority like the priests, which helped subdue the claims).
    Victims not coming forward doesn't surprise me. That is common and there are many factors. Its the many, many witnesses not only not coming forward, but also just letting it happen that surprises me.
    Honestly, anyone at those parties who knew what was going on and let it happen, girl or boy, are just as disgusting to me as those involved. Afraid of being a rat or wanting to be popular is no excuse to let girls get gang raped on a regular bases, I don't care if it was upper class in the 80s or not. If true, 100% of those people at the parties are disgusting animals. Which is why it is hard to believe without questioning it was as bad as described without 1 person coming forward.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    mace1229 said:

Since your attitude essentially is “I don’t believe it because it seems to be too bad to be believed”, I think we can basically disregard it. History is full of things that were too bad to be believed until we had proof, and even in this very thread we’ve had people confirming that these sorts of events occurred. I don’t know why we should care that you personally find it hard to believe just because, as a guy, you didn’t experience it. 
    I didnt say I don't believe it. I said it's hard to believe, and worth questioning the source. I never said disregard it.
    I think it means holding off judgment until more information can be found out. If the parties were really as described, it should not be difficult at all to find countless witnesses.
    And again comes down to 2 choices: Either dozens of witnesses are okay with what was going on to the point where not a single person ever reported this, or the story is exaggerated or untrue.
    So do you think 1 person is exaggerating what happened, or dozens (including women), possibly more, were okay letting girls get gang raped?
    Either way, seems like it would be easy to prove and I still say hold judgment until more is known about it.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

why do people jump to this type of response to a very obvious question... I am not saying women have to stop anything or victim blaming... is this where we are now, cant even have an honest conversation

Girl witnesses multiple gang rapes by same group of guys... lines at the door.... she knows fully well what they are doing.... so she hangs around these scumbags for two years drinking and partying until she is victimized? And im the bad guy for asking if anybody else finds that odd? Lol, yeah ok. I give more credit to women that some of you apparently
    Read the WaPo article on the high school girl raped in Texas. It might help you understand the "why" girls continue to go to these parties and experience the the things they do and keep going back. And why they don't report it. You're asking questions that have been previously answered, to some degree. Or send an email to the senate judiciary commitee asking them to ask the victims why they tolerated what they did, to the point of becoming a victim themselves.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Where are you getting the "hundreds" number from? Its not likely that there were hundreds of witnesses 35 or 36 years ago. Georgetown Prep has a current boarding and day school enrollment of 491 students. Holten Arms has a current enrollment of 655 students in grades 1 through 12. How do you know "hundreds of people were aware?" Ever been to a house or frat party, or any party with hundreds of people? Ever notice how there were multiple smaller parties going on in different parts of the house, field, room, basement, woods, etc.?

Some people seem to lack life experience, are completely unaware of the psychology and sociology behind human behavior or just don't want to believe women. Or, if they're not convicted in a court of law, there is no validity to the allegations. Was Bill Clinton convicted? Yet y'all so willingly view him as guilty as charged. And give Trump a pass.
    I just reread her statement. I thought she said hundreds at the party. She didnt, she didn't say how many were at the parties. But taking into account that others had described these parties with numbers into the hundreds, that she described a "train of numerous boys" in line, by all accounts most of these give the impression of very large parties. I have to assume not every boy at the party was in on the raping, and there was more than 1 or 2 girls showing up.  So it would be same to put the numbers in several dozen. SO my point remains the same, even if 30 people at a party instead of 100. How do 20 witnesses see a gang rape and be okay with it on a regular basis? 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I just reread her statement. I thought she said hundreds at the party. She didnt, she didn't say how many were at the parties. But taking into account that others had described these parties with numbers into the hundreds, that she described a "train of numerous boys" in line, by all accounts most of these give the impression of very large parties. I have to assume not every boy at the party was in on the raping, and there was more than 1 or 2 girls showing up.  So it would be same to put the numbers in several dozen. SO my point remains the same, even if 30 people at a party instead of 100. How do 20 witnesses see a gang rape and be okay with it on a regular basis? 
    Who says that they were okay with it? How does someone commit a gang rape and be okay with it on a regular basis?

(I lied, I stayed)
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

because maybe those at the parties thought the girls were willing participants...until it happened to them. 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Who says that they were okay with it? How does someone commit a gang rape and be okay with it on a regular basis?

(I lied, I stayed)
    My opinion, if you are aware that a train of numerous boys gang rape a girl and yu say and do nothing, and you continue to attend said parties, then that means you are okay with it.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    njnancy said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

(I lied, I stayed)
    My opinion, if you are aware that a train of numerous boys gang rape a girl and yu say and do nothing, and you continue to attend said parties, then that means you are okay with it.

My opinion is that you have no idea how anyone felt about it.