Options

Kavanaugh

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    Question: she knows these guys are drugging and gang raping girls in 1981... and she continues to hang out with them, becoming a victim herself in 1982? 

What am I missing?

I think you're missing the fact that peer pressure, social expectations, fears, insecurities, drugs, alcohol, and ignorance are factors for a lot of young women in such environments? And that women are no less vulnerable to negative social constructs than anyone else, and that women would be ostracized if they didn't go along with what the frat boys were doing?
    ... Saying that reminds me of another topic: Fraternities (and sororities) should be banned from all campuses.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    Question: she knows these guys are drugging and gang raping girls in 1981... and she continues to hang out with them, becoming a victim herself in 1982? 

What am I missing?

I thought the same thing.
    Doesn't mean it isnt true, but I hope that comes up at some point. Because if it is true, she watched girls get raped, see guys line up waiting their turn to rape an unconscious girl and did nothing and continued to go to parties with the guys. What person does that? Thats some messed up stuff all around. If credible he absolutely shouldnt be a judge. But  that raises some questions either about her character or the story.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

apparently any semblance of how important is was to be one of the cool kids in high school

what are you missing?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jesus. Some people are still wondering whether this guy is supreme court material?

What am I missing here?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

my best guess would be, until it happened to her, she thought the girls were willing participants.  i guess the question is what did she do after it happened to her. did she continue to hang out with those scum bags or not?
  • Options
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

You know it has no bearing on this SCOTUS appointment but it is a very good question to be asking her (ask to understand).  Cause that is some seriously scaring shit right there.  Knowing what is going on and continually putting yourself at risk....scary indeed.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

You know it has no bearing on this SCOTUS appointment but it is a very good question to be asking her (ask to understand).  Cause that is some seriously scaring shit right there.  Knowing what is going on and continually putting yourself at risk....scary indeed.
    It's common, not unusual. You can find girls who do this in literally every high school and college in America.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

It's common, not unusual. You can find girls who do this in literally every high school and college in America.
    I'd still like her adult opinion on why she did it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Kavanaugh is a fucking liar ..I'm not basing it on the accusations but rather his exchange with senator Harris !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

How is it relevant?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,984
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

because she was a child?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

Oh sure. I was just responding to your "scary" comment... Yeah, scary. Just not unsurprising. That is the position girls have always been in - navigating a world that is dangerous and harmful in this way, without any real acknowledgement of that fact.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649
    edited September 2018
    Some people seem to have difficulty understanding the culture of wealthy, white male privilege and how that plays out, from high school age to being nominated to the Supreme Court at 53. Why are the questions directed at the women? And who do you think is more likely to be telling the truth, the guy who doesn’t want an fbi investigation but went on Faux News to defend his honor or the multiple women who have come forward combined with the other known knowns? And why is his best friend holed up in a beach house? What’s he hiding or afraid of?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

How is it relevant?
    Perhaps you didnt see my first comment...it's above "You know it has no bearing on this SCOTUS appointment"...

But it certainly relevant if we want to change that culture/environment moving forward.  It's very relevant.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

because she was a child?
    She's more mature and removed from the situation...she'd be a very good person to discuss how this type of culture existed and what we could do to eliminate it....no?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited September 2018

PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

How is it relevant?
    Perhaps you didnt see my first comment...it's above "You know it has no bearing on this SCOTUS appointment"...

But it certainly relevant if we want to change that culture/environment moving forward.  It's very relevant.
    Well yeah, but do you think that this particular woman should be answering such questions in this particular situation? I don't. She's got enough on her plate IMO. It's a fine and relevant question in general, but it would probably be quite unhelpful to go into it during these particular proceedings.... especially since the GOP will manage to turn it into attacking the victim.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Some people seem to have difficulty understanding the culture of wealthy, white male privilege and how that plays out, from high school age to being nominated to the Supreme Court at 53. Why are the questions directed at the women? And who do you think is more likely to be telling the truth, the guy who doesn’t want an fbi investigation but went on Faux News to defend his honor or the multiple women who have come forward combined with the other known knowns? And why is his best friend holed up in a beach house? What’s he hiding or afraid of?
    So because of white make privilege girls hang out with known gang rapists just waiting their turn?

I'm not doubting any allegations or supporting this scumbag, but to act like that isnt a legitimate/interesting question is a little silly to me. 

She said she knew they were drugging girls and gangbraping them with a line at the bedroom door.... and she continues to hang out with them for 2 years, basically just waiting her turn to get drugged? I don't know man, I find that a bit odd. 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    So because of white make privilege girls hang out with known gang rapists just waiting their turn?

I'm not doubting any allegations or supporting this scumbag, but to act like that isnt a legitimate/interesting question is a little silly to me. 

She said she knew they were drugging girls and gangbraping them with a line at the bedroom door.... and she continues to hang out with them for 2 years, basically just waiting her turn to get drugged? I don't know man, I find that a bit odd. 
    Do you have a response to my explanation of it? People may not "get it" because nobody has ever given a shit before, leading others to simply remain ignorant about what is actually pretty much business as usual, but once you learn why this happens with girls, it makes sense.
  • Options

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

because she was a child?
    She's more mature and removed from the situation...she'd be a very good person to discuss how this type of culture existed and what we could do to eliminate it....no?
      Not right now, and not if she doesn't want to.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

I gotta ask, is it really common for girls to think guys are drugging or getting girls drunk, locking them in a room and guys lining up outside the room each taking a turn?  That doesn;t seem common at all to me.  I'm sure the drugging/alcohol could probably be called common...but gang bangs?  Really?  Without any girls saying anything?  I sure hope that's not common.  And it's what has me interested in her perspective as to why she and no one else said anything.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

How is it relevant?

Well yeah, but do you think that this particular woman should be answering such questions in this particular situation? I don't. She's got enough on her plate IMO. It's a fine and relevant question in general, but it would probably be quite unhelpful to go into it during these particular proceedings.... especially since the GOP will manage to turn it into attacking the victim.
    I don't think she should be  answering this question to senators....but a media interview (if she agrees) I think it should be a topic.  She obviously doesn't have to answer at all.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

I gotta ask, is it really common for girls to think guys are drugging or getting girls drunk, locking them in a room and guys lining up outside the room each taking a turn?  That doesn;t seem common at all to me.  I'm sure the drugging/alcohol could probably be called common...but gang bangs?  Really?  Without any girls saying anything?  I sure hope that's not common.  And it's what has me interested in her perspective as to why she and no one else said anything.
    What I meant was common is girls continually putting themselves at risk. I didn't mean the specifics of this case.
    Although weird and dangerous sexual activity among teens are a LOT more common that you seem to think, including gang bangs, "sex clubs", rape, etc. Yes. I'm afraid it's not terribly uncommon at all. Also, sexual harassment is literally the NORM. I did an indepth research project on that, interviewed students at schools, and 92% of high school girls reported conduct by boys that constituted overt sexual harassment and assault (including groping without consent, etc). What really disturbed me was that hardly any of those girls even realized what was happening was sexual harassment and abuse. They were literally simply so used to it as normal behaviour by the boys that they never reacted, even though it made them uncomfortable and feel negative feelings that affected their self-worth. It's terrible. They go along with it because they feel that if they don't they will be ostracized, and that is practically worse than death for many young people.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

What I meant was common is girls continually putting themselves at risk. I didn't mean the specifics of this case.
    Although weird and dangerous sexual activity among teens are a LOT more common that you seem to think, including gang bangs, "sex clubs", rape, etc. Yes. I'm afraid it's not terribly uncommon at all. Also, sexual harassment is literally the NORM. I did an indepth research project on that, interviewed students at schools, and 92% of high school girls reported conduct by boys that constituted overt sexual harassment and assault (including groping without consent, etc). What really disturbed me was that hardly any of those girls even realized what was happening was sexual harassment and abuse. They were literally simply so used to it as normal behaviour by the boys that they never reacted, even though it made them uncomfortable and feel negative feelings that affected their self-worth. It's terrible. They go along with it because they feel that if they don't they will be ostracized, and that is practically worse than death for many young people.
    Scary stuff.  And after reading your post a few times I got really concerned if gang bangs with drugged girls while other girls knew and partied really concerned me if common.  I'm aware that there is way too much sexual harassment/assault and even some dangerous sexual activity that is consensual to "fit in" or be cool...but you are right that it probably happens more than I can imagine.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

What am I missing?

Scary stuff.  And after reading your post a few times I got really concerned if gang bangs with drugged girls while other girls knew and partied really concerned me if common.  I'm aware that there is way too much sexual harassment/assault and even some dangerous sexual activity that is consensual to "fit in" or be cool...but you are right that it probably happens more than I can imagine.
    And people can get used to pretty much anything. Girls often grow numb to such things... that's part of why they don't report until decades later, when they finally come to terms with just how fucking bad things were.
    Man, the stories, either first hand or from what I observed, from high school would probably make your hair curl (although FTR, I happened to be someone who would NOT just sit around and keep hanging with such people... but honestly, I was kind of a black sheep. I know many of my peers would and did). The thing about all this stuff is that adults rarely know about it. Young people don't talk about this stuff to parents or teachers or anything, obviously, especially not if they're actually involved or close to it in any way. Kids know that if they let on about such things, their parents would never let them out of the house again!

• Options
    my2hands said:

What did or do high school age kids think of “rats?” How were “rats” treated? What happened to the “rat” who got everyone in trouble or ruined their fun for the weekend, week, month or year? What happened to the “rat” that brought unwanted scrutiny to the group? Who wants to be the “rat?” And you have to understand the “culture” back then. Colleges and universities have multiple hour classes on how to speak up in those types of situations. 35 or 36 years ago? Kids feared being a “rat” and there weren’t classes on how to speak up and out over questionable behavior.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Realizing there would need to be a Constitutional Amendment change to make this happen, but would you liberals allow this scenario in this order:

1)  Appoint Judge Kavanaugh immediately.
    2)  Do complete FBI investigation - if proven guilty, he is removed and we start over again.  If not guilty, life goes on
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    A few things to consider for those looking with a pair of far right or far left sunglasses ... 1) You would have to be an insane person to have been behind a rape gang in high school and then decide to accept a supreme court nomination knowing the scrutiny you would come under.  2)  It would suggest that democratic, republican, and nonpartisan people involved in the vetting process are incompetent beyond logical comprehension to the point they should have their future job applications rejected at Arbys.

• Options
    Jason P said:
    A few things to consider for those looking with a pair of far right or far left sunglasses ... 1) You would have to be an insane person to have been behind a rape gang in high school and then decide to accept a supreme court nomination knowing the scrutiny you would come under.  2)  It would suggest that democratic, republican, and nonpartisan people involved in the vetting process are incompetent beyond logical comprehension to the point they should have their future job applications rejected at Arbys.

But look at how the GOP has sheltered his information from the beginning.  None of the sexual assault allegations would have been part of that but they definitely shielded a lot of his documents from review prior to confirmation hearings.

• Options
    Realizing there would need to be a Constitutional Amendment change to make this happen, but would you liberals allow this scenario in this order:

1)  Appoint Judge Kavanaugh immediately.
    2)  Do complete FBI investigation - if proven guilty, he is removed and we start over again.  If not guilty, life goes on
    How about this....put the appointment on hold until the investigation is done.  We operated with 8 justices for most of 2016 if you remember.