Options

Why does Pearl Jam totally disregard Binaural?

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    my2hands said:
    Been saying this for a few years...they lean WAY too heavily on songs written 1998 or earlier... 90% of their live shows are now songs that are over 20 years old 

They've become a nostalgia act, and I'm considering retiring from the live scene unless it's very local 

That might be where I'm at...definitely love that they still have a different setlist each night but it's really like listening to about 50 songs on shuffle.  Too many listens and you get tired of it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    my2hands said:
    Been saying this for a few years...they lean WAY too heavily on songs written 1998 or earlier... 90% of their live shows are now songs that are over 20 years old 

They've become a nostalgia act, and I'm considering retiring from the live scene unless it's very local 
    Given the bashing of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt around here (I try not to bash but generally nod my head in agreement), the songs from at least 12 years ago, anyway, are their bread and butter.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam tours are my way of seeing the world and seeing friends.   If I am with my friends at a show I will have a great time always.  If I go to a show by myself or our seats aren’t all together, than one or two shows a tour would be enough for me, and I would probably leave after the first major hit is played in the last encore.

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Yo if I'm there....I ride the wave where it takes me.  They can play whatever they want.
    Stop looking at your phone.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Harrisburg, PA Posts: 379
    IMO while I love quite a few songs from those albums, I think even people who were big PJ fans in the 90s just aren’t familiar with them. They just weren’t promoted much. And while I love say Grievance, it’s the type of song a good portion of the crowd doesn’t and it kinda takes away momentum. 
  • Options
    Tiki said:
    Yo if I'm there....I ride the wave where it takes me.  They can play whatever they want.
    Stop looking at your phone.

Your opinion could change if you have seen more than 12 shows with the first one being in 2010.   Once you get into the 50's your tune could change a little, but that is the problem with going to so many shows.  Tough not to get burned out on certain tunes.

• Options
    I wasn't ready for the live experience. 

At 52 years old, I been on for the whole ride, just not in person.  1991 WBCN.  vs vital nocode yield All those official bootlegs. Turns out Binaural was actually my DIVORCE soundtrack. 

Everyone has a different path, Bro.
  • Options
    I'm familiar with the catalog.
  • Options
    Did not intend to imply that you haven’t been a fan that long.  The best part of shows for me is hearing something that I have to think about what is for a few seconds.   
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    edited September 2018
    Did not intend to imply that you haven’t been a fan that long.  The best part of shows for me is hearing something that I have to think about what is for a few seconds.   
    Agreed! My wife is amazed how I can usually call out 15 songs before they are played based on the guitar tune/effect or the chord ed is playing.  He usually holds the chord a few seconds before playing it. 
    That s why I agree with you. Man I was actually pumped when I thought they were playing who you are but it turned out to be in my tree. (If that makes sense at all lol)
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    or the appearance of the guitar itself...

That Jimmy Page double neck?  Inside Job.  Mikey actually went to the specs in AMS.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agreed! My wife is amazed how I can usually call out 15 songs before they are played based on the guitar tune/effect or the chord ed is playing.  He usually holds the chord a few seconds before playing it. 
    That s why I agree with you. Man I was actually pumped when I thought they were playing who you are but it turned out to be in my tree. (If that makes sense at all lol)
    I get it.  Elderly, Given to Fly, Even Flow, Sirens, etc... are all easy ones to pick out on the guitar. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I get it.  Elderly, Given to Fly, Even Flow, Sirens, etc... are all easy ones to pick out on the guitar. 
    We should next to each other at a show and have a competition! Lol
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ha.  People around us would hhhhhaaaaattttteeee  us.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ha.  People around us would hhhhhaaaaattttteeee  us.
    We d either get punched or have beer thrown at us lol. 

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Seattle 1
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    I also can't see the "Dark times for them" argument.  Many of their songs are from tough/dark times.  
    I don’t know if it’s an argument.  It’s fairly well documented in interviews. Mike’s sobriety, Ed’s end of marriage, Stone comments about not feeling relevant anymore, Denmark, ect. Another drummer change, although Ed’s also stated that Matt was the only possible replacement or the band was done. Just sort of trying times..... and maybe the album reminds them of that.
    i always sorta suspected they released all those 2000 bootlegs because they figured they were done after that. Just my hunch, not ever said by a band member.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    Milestone said:
    I also can't see the "Dark times for them" argument.  Many of their songs are from tough/dark times.  
    I don’t know if it’s an argument.  It’s fairly well documented in interviews. Mike’s sobriety, Ed’s end of marriage, Stone comments about not feeling relevant anymore, Denmark, ect. Another drummer change, although Ed’s also stated that Matt was the only possible replacement or the band was done. Just sort of trying times..... and maybe the album reminds them of that.
    i always sorta suspected they released all those 2000 bootlegs because they figured they were done after that. Just my hunch, not ever said by a band member.
    Yet they still play lbc occasionally 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Milestone said:
    Big difference, that song seems therapeutic to me. 

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was able to pick out Release at Seattle one with one guitar pluck a few moments before the song began. I said to the guy beside me (who bought my spare), "Is it Release? Is it? I think it is....." - and it was! I was so excited that I asked him - poor guy I just met - for a (man) hug. Made the night - both the song and the hug! ;-)
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,501
    Loving the intelligent back and forth in addition to all the statistics 

#PJnerding
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    In my "professional" opinion, it's their most underrated album.  Was hoping to get a few at Fenway, but alas got none.  Still need to hear one of my favorite songs live, "Of the Girl".  Hopefully next time I see them...
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Ok? And they still play Binaural songs occasionally. Just not much and nothing in regular rotation.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was able to pick out Release at Seattle one with one guitar pluck a few moments before the song began. I said to the guy beside me (who bought my spare), "Is it Release? Is it? I think it is....." - and it was! I was so excited that I asked him - poor guy I just met - for a (man) hug. Made the night - both the song and the hug! ;-)
    I am usually good at this game. First few notes of a song during Seattle 2 and I yelled out, “It’s Dirty Frank”! It turned out to be “Rats”. People around me laughed. 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Milestone said:
    Ok? And they still play Binaural songs occasionally. Just not much and nothing in regular rotation.
    Right, so it is unlikely that they don't play much from binaural due to pain 
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    Milestone said:
    Right, so it is unlikely that they don't play much from binaural due to pain 
    I refuse to listen to any pj show my ex wife was at with me so I can see why they don’t want to play certain songs since this was a very painful time for the band on many different levels. 
  • Options
    Eddie wrote a lot of songs about tough times in his life and they are played quite regularly (Alive, Better Man).  I just think Binaural doesn't get played much because there has to be songs in a catalog that get the least amount of play, and playing a song like Hail Hail once or twice makes more sense than playing Grievance once or twice. 
  • Options
    Milestone said:

• Options
    Milestone said:

Oh shit I quote and then don’t realize I hit enter. Anyway I agree with all this. I also think music was changing a lot then. The internet was taking off and we were getting our music from different sources. Didn’t even think that maybe the band didn’t want to promote. Binaural and a riot Act (and Avacodo) didn’t get out. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,041
    PJ has created and somewhat perfected live shows.  Play a lot of familiar songs (hits & covers) for the casual fans, sprinkle in some favorites from the rest of the catalogue, throw in a couple super rare gems to appease the die hards.  This makes for an amazing live experience pretty much every show.  With that being said....I do wish they would play more Binaural (and other rarely played songs/albums) more often.  But thats just me.  A lot of my favorite Pearl Jam is stuff many in the audience would not probably be there to see and probably not enjoy it.  As others have mentioned the only way to do this would be some 10c shows which is never gonna happen.  Oh well.  Its fun to think about and its still a blast every show i get to attend.  Wrigley this year was AMAZING!  And even though I never need to hear Betterman again my wife loves it and so do a whole bunch of other people.  I do wish they would throw in a few more of the other albums every show though.