My story dealing with several horrible entitled “railbirds” in GA at Wrigley 2

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited August 2018
    JH6056 said:
    Solution =springsteen way. 
    What is the "Springsteen Way"?
    No queuing no camping, get to enjoy beautiful cities like Chicago show up in the afternoon randomly get a number which dictates where in line you are...completely random 
    LOVE THAT!  That DOES seem like the most fair way, and once everyone knows that, no one waits all day because they all know it's not worth it!

Also changes up who's on the rail.

Win-win-win!  Except for the folks who feel they control the process for their own benefit.  I guess they don't see that as a win.  But it would make everyone enjoy the location a lot more!  Heck, short l'il old me might even try for GA if that was the rule!

That said, old habits die hard... there would also need to be some security watching the rails to make sure those who got there because they were randomly at the front of the line, don't get literally bullied out of their positions by those who are just used to being in front and don't take well to not having control over it anymore.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited August 2018
    PJNB said:
    Again, the 8:00 am line up rule is set by an outisde authority, why should that take precedent over the group established rule of whoever gets there first is first in line? 
    I guess for me, personally all in all I don't see venue rules and policy as "outside authority", I see it as THE authority, so to speak.  And if their line and whoever gets there first is the only line they consider official, the people who get to that line first, in this case ascahn, their place in line is (IMO) as legitimate as anything else
    I have no clue why I am still talking about this but they were not the first in that line. The first in that line was moved by THE authority to another designated spot. 24 hours later his group claims that spot that was not allowed by group #1 but no security is there to move them. Are they lucky to get it and no authority is moving them or are they dicks for knowing others were in that spot but got moved. This is a question that will haunt us for years to come. 
    Did the venue specifically tell them "hey you guys are the first in line but we are moving you here" or did they go "we are moving you guys here because there technically is no line until 8am, but you guys are welcome to camp out over here for the chance to be first when the line starts"?

To me, based on the information given, the line did not start until 8am, and whoever physically is first in that 8am line when 8am starts, is first in line, right?  
    That just perpetuates the current problem because people will always arrive before 8:00. What I’m hearing is that if the 10c announced “the official line starts where the campers are” then people will follow that directive. What I’m saying is that we don’t need to wait for the 10c to declare that. Instead we do that ourselves. 
    Well if people always arrive before 8am, then following protocol set by the venue, the people officially physically present in the line first when it starts at 8am, is first in line

To me we DO need to wait for 10C to announce it, or the venue.  If there is no explicit rule, we as fans cannot set rules telling other fans what to do.   We can only abide by the official rules set by the venue or 10C.

The only thing that would perpetuate the current problem is when fans impose their own rules.  The campers were set aside not because they had to move a line, but because there was no line.  None of them had any right to be #1 in line, they only had the right to camp out close to where the line starts at 8am for the chance to be first in line

So to me the only issue is when campers got beat to the punch legitimately, but can't deal with it emotionally because they are so used to setting rules over other fans
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJNB said:
    Again, the 8:00 am line up rule is set by an outisde authority, why should that take precedent over the group established rule of whoever gets there first is first in line? 
    I guess for me, personally all in all I don't see venue rules and policy as "outside authority", I see it as THE authority, so to speak.  And if their line and whoever gets there first is the only line they consider official, the people who get to that line first, in this case ascahn, their place in line is (IMO) as legitimate as anything else
    I have no clue why I am still talking about this but they were not the first in that line. The first in that line was moved by THE authority to another designated spot. 24 hours later his group claims that spot that was not allowed by group #1 but no security is there to move them. Are they lucky to get it and no authority is moving them or are they dicks for knowing others were in that spot but got moved. This is a question that will haunt us for years to come. 
    Did the venue specifically tell them "hey you guys are the first in line but we are moving you here" or did they go "we are moving you guys here because there technically is no line until 8am, but you guys are welcome to camp out over here for the chance to be first when the line starts"?

To me, based on the information given, the line did not start until 8am, and whoever physically is first in that 8am line when 8am starts, is first in line, right?  
    That just perpetuates the current problem because people will always arrive before 8:00. What I’m hearing is that if the 10c announced “the official line starts where the campers are” then people will follow that directive. What I’m saying is that we don’t need to wait for the 10c to declare that. Instead we do that ourselves. 
    Well if people always arrive before 8pm, then following protocol set by the venue, the people officially physically present in the line first when it starts, is first in line

To me we DO need to wait for 10C to announce it, or the venue.  If there is no explicit rule, we as fans cannot set rules telling other fans what to do.   We can only abide by the official rules set by the venue or 10C.

The only thing that would perpetuate the current problem is when fans impose their own rules.  The campers were set aside not because they had to move a line, but because there was no line.  None of them had any right to be #1 in line, they only had the right to camp out close to where the line starts at 8am for the chance to be first in line

So to me the only issue is when campers got beat to the punch legitimately, but can't deal with it emotionally because they are so used to setting rules over other fans
    Bingo
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    PJNB said:

You are right when you say we should "do that ourselves." The problem is grown adults with entitlement issues want to curate rules that can benefit them and their party when needed instead of following the undeclared Ten Club ruling. It is sad to see people acting this way over a nearly three hour concert. I think a child with a scraped knee recovers more quickly.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh you hung out on the sidewalk by murphy’s The last two days? That’s odd.  
    When I saw someone post that they left during YLB on night one to get in line for night two, I thought I misread it because imy brain couldn’t process that anyone would wait two full days. Insane. 

I just can’t fathom doing this. 
    You mean giving up two full days of your life to stand 10 feet closer to the stage than I stood? Me neither.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    edited August 2018

Yeah definitely got to get some beers next time. You and Jess reminded me of me and wife. Juggling kids around just to get away lol.  Unfortunately couldn’t connect with @darwinstheory but did get to meet @bbiggs

And I had a hella bad ass gift for you too!

No worries, I've only seen PJ in IN, WI, IL & MI. That will change very soon dammit! We will definitely connect over an IPA at some point. Though you did pass on fresh tapped Zombie Dust at Murphy's. That's on you, bud!

Also missed out on Briggs, though I believe we were really close to one another in original GA N2 before the shit storm.
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Damiens said:
    First off, OP I was right by you (guy with hat and goatee, we talked about your Spin t-shirt and fist bumped during Jeremy), your account is 100% on point in terms of the guy in the red shirt and glasses, very frustrating and strange situation and as you described.  I'm glad you and pretty much everyone else around us was pretty cool and it was an amazing show even with some bad actors in the pit.

As far as the larger debate about lining up and who "deserves" to be where I do not think there is any amount of time that you can wait that justifies coming into a crowded area and getting physical with people, pushing people, elbowing, etc. etc.  I was shoved into a woman on the rail by the red shirt guy which caused me to smash her into the rail which she obviously got upset about.  We're all here to see a band we love, getting angry and trying to intimidate or physically move people against their will is NOT OKAY no matter how long you waited or how justified you think you are based on your own rules that you created.

Again, great show, 99% of people in GA were awesome and cool.  Kudos to the guy that gave me a poncho for free when the rain started and thanks to security for handing out all the free water.  Great show!!
    What’s up man!!  I was hoping you got on here because you definitely had to deal with him on the same type level you made the first half of the show bearable!  You even tried reasoning with the guy and telling him to let it go nobody wants tension around at a show!  He clearly killed the whole vibe for our general area but we battled thru!  Thanks for sticking with me and holding our ground!   
    Nick
  • During the rain delay, there was a bald headed bearded man wearing shorts and black boots that got funneled to where I was at. He was a pretty good size guy (plenty bigger than me at 6' 215lbs). He was a rail rat and up pretty close initially (within 3 rows). He made it a point of yelling around during the delay on where he was and how he WILL be back there after it is over. Included by:

•pointing to 5-7 people around him saying they were up there with him and would be back up there with him. They could vouch for one another. Creating a mob mentality.

•threatening physical harm - "I'll beat the shit out of people that try to stop us"

•using his size and accomplishing his task. About 2-3 back front center.

This behavior is inexcusable, barbaric and bullyish. Unfortunately, it wasn't worth a trip to the hospital for me. He is the kind of person I love to hate. Yes, hate. It does not good not just for a concert, but for society as a whole to have people acting this way.

totally anti everything Pearl Jam represents
    This is the main thing I keep coming back to...are we all following the same band?? I can’t reconcile how someone who apparently cares so much about seeing Pearl Jam from as close as possible hasn’t learned a thing about what they stand for. Same for the ‘Aussie’ group, even if they were completely in the right, the bullying and hatred is disgusting. Plus, there are four people in front of you, how much room do you think they’re going to take up?
    JH6056 said:
    Solution =springsteen way. 
    What is the "Springsteen Way"?
    No queuing no camping, get to enjoy beautiful cities like Chicago show up in the afternoon randomly get a number which dictates where in line you are...completely random 
    Sounds like something they should at least try out for their next couple shows with GA.

What happened at Wrigley 13 and Wrigley 18 N2 is asking for disaster. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Yeah definitely got to get some beers next time. You and Jess reminded me of me and wife. Juggling kids around just to get away lol.  Unfortunately couldn’t connect with @darwinstheory but did get to meet @bbiggs

No worries, I've only seen PJ in IN, WI, IL & MI. That will change very soon dammit! We will definitely connect over an IPA at some point. Though you did pass on fresh tapped Zombie Dust at Murphy's. That's on you, bud!

Also missed out on Briggs, though I believe we were really close to one another in original GA N2 before the shit storm.
    You guys need to make the next nyc/Philly show! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • KS1695KS1695 Posts: 30
    hrd2imgn said:
    pjl44 said:
    Team All Reserved Seating 2019
    wasn't any better, I was an aisle seat and all nigh long a parade of people coming and standing right in front of me with no regard since it was the aisle.
    That's how Seattle went too. I had an aisle seat in row 4 Section M on the floor and the aisle between sections M and N turned into it's own GA pit. It was bad and security kept trying to clear the aisle but eventually gave up. I was more beat up than my days in GA. They should have been amazing seats, but the etiquette was worse than most GA crowds I've been in. Good thing the music is amazing! LOL
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    mcgruff10 said:
    When I saw someone post that they left during YLB on night one to get in line for night two, I thought I misread it because imy brain couldn’t process that anyone would wait two full days. Insane. 

You mean giving up two full days of your life to stand 10 feet closer to the stage than I stood? Me neither.
    This is comical stuff - thank you
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I get why shorter people like the rail. I also get why people line up early on the day of. I do not get the camping mentality over and over and over again. Once in a life it maybe cool to do and have a story to tell. To move from city to city missing out on all the great stuff and sleeping on the pavement is just crazy imo. I do not get the need to do that for every damn show. My wife and I got in line at 11:00 am Saturday. She wanted to do it and I followed since she is fairly short and I wanted her to get a decent sight line. I do not regret that decision at all. I did the same for the Europe shows and got to meet some great fans I normally would never have had the chance to talk to. The greed and entitlement from some people will never go away unfortunately. I truly think though (Saturday's shit show not counting) that the majority of people in the line are great people and the bad apples are just the ones that are getting the spotlight on them. I could make a thread right now about all of the good I saw in Prague Krakow Berlin and Chicago's GA line and it would probably get 10 posts going towards it. I could then post all of the bad that I saw (the good far outweighed the bad) and it would hit 100 posts easily. It just the way it is. 
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    I like the Springsteen way, and I think we are going to be headed for that. I have never been on the rail, and I kind of am sad that I never will be able to get the surprise of "FRONT ROW SEATS!", but oh well. I am also a smell oriented person and wonder how bad front row must be :s
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

And the people who do this every show - like it is crazy to think in terms of the ratio of the amount they are spending waiting in line versus how long the actual concert is.  Add up all the concerts and all the hours spent in line - that must be sooo much time in one's life just sitting in line waiting for something lol.  I wonder how they have all the time and money to do that at so many shows

You can roll into the GA line 1 hour before the doors open and get a great spot close to the stage and spend the rest of the time exploring cities, doing tourist stuff, sleeping in a comfy bed, etc.  To me it is a choice I do not even have to think about!  
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
    mcgruff10 said:

You guys need to make the next nyc/Philly show! 
    That sounds like a good time...IF they ever have another NYC/Philly show. Lol

Definitely looking forward to traveling to see them.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    edited August 2018
    Seats up front would definitely be better for shorter people. Less pushing
    Post edited by Vedd Hedd on
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    i don't get going to a city and seeing nothing but the street outside a venue and the show.  one of the best parts of traveling for the shows is seeing other cities and meeting people out.  Chicago is a great city and had a great time exploring it.  local fans i get the allure. outside fans i don't at all.

ps: i was shocked in such a large city like Chicago how many people i saw walking around the city in PJ gear. they were everywhere. including the airport. i guess a lot of fans dress the part too. 
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    pjhawks said:
    ps: i was shocked in such a large city like Chicago how many people i saw walking around the city in PJ gear. they were everywhere. including the airport. i guess a lot of fans dress the part too.  
    I agree for sure... these were my 18&19 shows and I cant recall seeing such a huge density of PJ shirts.  I’m new to living in the Midwest but the majority of my shows have been in Chicago now and I feel the city really does get behind the band and embrace Eddie and one of its favorite sons
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Wow. Just spent a half hour reading through everything I missed. The good news...I just marked my hand with a big # 1 for the next GA show. Actually I got it tattooed. The “list” and line start now, people. 
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I had a pretty great time in GA every time I’ve done it. I did the rail once a few years ago and everyone in line was super awesome and fun! I camped over night for Seattle 2 this year and met some very awesome people! It just felt like a camping trip with friends! But I’ve seen the entitled weird people in the line, not near me. I just laugh at them 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    PJNB said:

Well if people always arrive before 8am, then following protocol set by the venue, the people officially physically present in the line first when it starts at 8am, is first in line

I guess I’m hung up on people
    giving credence to a venue rule that’s just in place so they aren’t responsible for what might be a hassle. 

Okay, so picture the 8:00 am rule taken literally and how this would play out in reality. You’d have 400+ people milling about across the street at 7:59 and the. All hell would break loose at 8:00. Pushing, shoving, running, elbows, etc. A mob would arrive at the entry gate. Who’s going to sort that out? The conflicts from that would make this OP story look like Disney. 
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    I hate drunk people that try to move closer to stage in GA and always say "I've been here all night"
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I haven't read any comments other than the OP. Dude, this why GA at PJ shows fuckingsuck. My wife wanted me to go to GA for the 2nd show. Fuck NO. These assholes are the worst. And we knew the rain delay was coming. So dude. Welcome to the fucking GA experience. Not to sound callous but these fucks dont care. If I was up there, I would have been arrested by Chicago's finest. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• PJNB said:

giving credence to a venue rule that’s just in place so they aren’t responsible for what might be a hassle. 

Okay, so picture the 8:00 am rule taken literally and how this would play out in reality. You’d have 400+ people milling about across the street at 7:59 and the. All hell would break loose at 8:00. Pushing, shoving, running, elbows, etc. A mob would arrive at the entry gate. Who’s going to sort that out? The conflicts from that would make this OP story look like Disney. 
    Over 400+ people at 8am?
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    PJNB said:

Over 400+ people at 8am?
    I wouldn't doubt there were 400 by 8am on Monday, it was several blocks anyway.
    tacos
    Really started building into hundreds around 6am
    tacos
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Which of you Americans are going to fly all the way to Australia? To Sydney, Melbourne,  Brisbane, etc. Just to sit on sidewalks day after day after day, see some concerts,  and then fly back home?
  • iwasthere said:
    PJNB said:

Over 400+ people at 8am?
    I wouldn't doubt there were 400 by 8am on Monday, it was several blocks anyway.
    In that case, I would say if the venue was serious about the 8am thing, for sure there would be security there at the initial time to make sure everything is all good just like they do when you are inside the venue and it is a free for all when people are running into the GA area to get a spot.  Easy solution there!
    This Springsteen system sounds amazing. 
    tacos
This discussion has been closed.