Options

Missoula Poster

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    tubes10s said:
    Absolutely both sides pull the exact same nonsense to get their supporters to act and react accordingly.  
    Amen.  
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    hey guys, if anyone is willing to help me out with this poster i would really appreciate it.  my son and i
    traveled to this show and he has all the posters to the shows we have been to , except was not able to get
    one since they were letting people buy 5 and 10 posters at a time!  anyway, he is still crushed about it.
    in most cases i would just go to ebay and purchase one for him but there is just no way i can pay those prices.
    if anyone can help me get this at face or even a little above face i sure would appreciate it.  If not, i understand.
    please pm me if you can help.  thanks
  • Options
    waupaca11waupaca11 los angeles Posts: 81
    In the poster, how do we know 45 didn't die of natural causes?  I see no evidence of trauma, and the poster seems to reflect 45's body giving way to life as the eagle feeds.  Its quite beautiful.
    1995 Milwaukee
    1998 East Troy, Noblesville
    2000 Los Angeles, San Diego, San Bernardino
    2003 Irvine, San Diego, East Troy
    2006 Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara
    2008 LA (Who Tribute)
    2009 LA3, San Diego
    2011 Eddie in Long Beach
    2013 Wrigley
    2014 LA1 & LA2, Milwaukee
    2016 FtL, Miami, Tampa, Jax
    2018 Seattle 2, Missoula
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
    tubes10s said:
    tubes10s said:
    Absolutely both sides pull the exact same nonsense to get their supporters to act and react accordingly.  
    I don’t remember the other ‘side’ referencing an musicians poster as a violent affront to past presidents and then liberals responding with equal outrage. 
    hahaha.... yeah let's pretend that my comment was specifically about a poster!  the right and the left love to promote whatever shiny object that gets the biggest negative reaction against those who disagree with them.  sensationalism baby!
    I wasn’t pretending anything, just going with your ‘exact same nonsense’ reference. I’m not sure what you deem liberal media, but if you track that at the same time comparing it to conservative media, they aren’t the same. 
  • Options
    jamofpearlsjamofpearls Florence, AL Posts: 347
    I've had a chance to study this poster for a little bit now.  I wish I had a physical one in front of me, because I'm only going on (mostly) low res images.  
    Here's what I'm seeing.
    A post apocalyptic waste land, as the white house is in flames, the earth is scorched, skulls everywhere with a bomb right in the middle of the lawn.  I believe Trump has long been dead, looked like his last action before death was crawling towards Russian money.  I'm not seeing any direct action of violence.
    I'm seeing it more as a "Rise above, please don't allow this to happen, you have to go vote!" piece.  You have "VOTE" in letters, among the clouds (maybe the smoke?), with the democratic politician ramping his lawn mower.  I'm guessing the mower is an inside joke or I'm missing some symbolism there.
    The aliens could be a joke on the rhetoric on illegal aliens.
    The bear could be another Russian symbol or for a bear economy.
    There's the Eye of Providence (or Eye of God), which is chained down, that's turned its eye away from Washington, towards the politician above.
    There's a lot more imagery that I just can't tell what they are, like the jar. 
    Maybe some higher res images will come soon.
    But I'm not believing it to promote violence.

98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
    Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,554
    edited August 2018
    I'm not sure I understand why people are relating this poster to violence. It seems to me the White House exploded - the meaning is obviously that it destroyed itself, not that it was attacked from the outside. That doesn't equate to violence IMO.
    Anyway, I love the reaction to this poster, and am really enjoying how some are all offended by it - fantastic. I'm just surprised by how many people just don't really seem to get it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:
    Rumors are SiriusXM may cancel PJ radio over backlash from Missoula poster..
    Can I be the conservative who says that this would be so dumb. Just like it was so dumb for radio stations to ban the dixie chicks and/or Kanye. Just like it's so dumb to ban Alex Jones. Just like it's so dumb for social media to ban/shadow ban thought they don't like. Just like it's so dumb for protestors to shut down speaking events on college campuses. Enough with the suppression of speech!
    Dont include Alex Jones in that group.    Its one thing to ban people who say, "I dont like this person" or "I think these policies suck".  Pearl jam, Kanye, Dixie Chicks voice their opinions.   Just like Toby Keith, Ted Nugent, Roseanne, etc voice them on the right. 

Alex Jones peddles lies that do actual harm to actual people.   He is flat out making up conspiracy theories that are damaging people, and asking people to cause actual violence. 
    Sorry. I agree with you on what Alex Jones is but I don't agree with you on the response. Banning speech is ALWAYS wrong. Even Noam Chomsky agrees. The answer to speech you don't like is more speech otherwise we go down a rabbit hole into chaos. Look how easily someone can argue the poster is "hate speech". It is ludicrous. This type of response must end.
  • Options
    MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669

so keep voting tRump....see if I care
    Keep being a sucker and voting for the D machine.  I am voting neither R nor D so your idea I am voting R is ludicrous.  Just trying to find blame with someone else for making their own decision.  
    When you vote in a battle ground state, voting for a third party does take votes away from either R or D.  It's a two party system, that's it.  listen to PJ and vote for their choice ;)
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:
    Can I be the conservative who says that this would be so dumb. Just like it was so dumb for radio stations to ban the dixie chicks and/or Kanye. Just like it's so dumb to ban Alex Jones. Just like it's so dumb for social media to ban/shadow ban thought they don't like. Just like it's so dumb for protestors to shut down speaking events on college campuses. Enough with the suppression of speech!
    Dont include Alex Jones in that group.    Its one thing to ban people who say, "I dont like this person" or "I think these policies suck".  Pearl jam, Kanye, Dixie Chicks voice their opinions.   Just like Toby Keith, Ted Nugent, Roseanne, etc voice them on the right. 

Alex Jones peddles lies that do actual harm to actual people.   He is flat out making up conspiracy theories that are damaging people, and asking people to cause actual violence. 
    Sorry. I agree with you on what Alex Jones is but I don't agree with you on the response. Banning speech is ALWAYS wrong. Even Noam Chomsky agrees. The answer to speech you don't like is more speech otherwise we go down a rabbit hole into chaos. Look how easily someone can argue the poster is "hate speech". It is ludicrous. This type of response must end.
    Banning HATE SPEECH is not wrong. Hate speech isn't protected, nor should it be. And sure, someone can argue that this poster is hate speech, but they'd be really really wrong, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

RP112579 said:
    Quote from Jeff in the Rolling Stone article:

“The role of artists is to make people think and feel, and the current administration has us thinking and feeling,” Ament tells Rolling Stone. “I was the sole conceptualist of this poster, and I welcome all interpretations and discourse.  Love, from the First Amendment, Jeff Ament.”
    Except Jeff took the opposite stance himself when it came to Kanye. Jeff expressed disappointment in Kanye and that it would change how he felt about his music going forward. Jeff didn't celebrate Kanye's ability to make people "think and feel". 
  • Options
    lolobugg said:
    Fuck Tester. What a coward not to stand up for his "friend" that did so much to get him elected then re-elected. Typical Washington fraud.
    Just wait until he votes to confirm Kavanaugh.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    They just played Social Distortion. After hearing what Mike Ness just did...way worse than a poster.
    MAGA dues performs a flipping the bird at Ness protest at a Social D show and expected anything less?  LOL.  Not a swift move.
    I never took you for a victim-blamer
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

Banning HATE SPEECH is not wrong. Hate speech isn't protected, nor should it be. And sure, someone can argue that this poster is hate speech, but they'd be really really wrong, lol.
    And that's the issue with hate speech laws. If they were subject to interpretation by this administration or this DoJ and/or a state that Trump carried by 20 points, there would be something to sweat here.
  • Options
    MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    I like the Missoula Poster.   
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    inhiding 1976inhiding 1976 NWI Posts: 580
    A little disappointed.  The Band who “cares about there fans” should understand there is a lot of fans that don’t agree with them politically. Causing a divide between the fan base isn’t good.  I love the music, the shows etc.  going to Wrigley both nights.  Hoping for good music and not a political lecture.
    Being critical of trump isn’t divisive. The reaction from trump supporters, who are intolerant of any criticism of him, is what’s divisive. People expecting the band to change in order to protect their feelings are who you should be disappointed with. 
    I don’t expect the band to change how they view things.  I don’t want them to.  Reactions come from both sides.  both sides are guilty for stupid behavior. So here we are reading posts and commenting.  Some immature, Angry, educational, and downright wrong. (From both sides) I hope at the shows we can get along and put the music first.  Music is interpretation, we can make it our own.  That’s the beautiful thing!

7-11-95, 6-14-98, 6-26-98, 6-27-98, 6-29-98, 8-17-98, 08-18-00, 8-20-00, 09-05-00, 10-7-00, 10-8-00, 10-9-00, 10-11-00, 4-21-03, 4-22-03, 4-23-03, 4-25-03, 04-26-03, 6-18-03, 6-21-03, 6-22-03, 6-25-03, 06-26-03, 10-3-04, 9-11-05, 9-12-05, 9-13-05, 5-9-06, 5-10-06, 5-16-06, 5-17-06, 5-19-06, 5-20-06, 6-23-06, 6-24-06, 6-29-06, 8-5-07, E.V. Milwaukee and Chicago night 1, 8-23-09,08-24-09, 5-7-10, 5-9-10, E.V. 6-28-011, 9-3-11, 9-4-11, 7-19-13, 10-11-13, 10-3-14, 10-17-14, 10-20-14, E.V. 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 8-20-18, 8-22-18, 9-16-22, 9-18-22, 9-5-23, 9-7-23, 9-10-23
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

All Speech is protected. You don't get to pick and choose. If you think you do then you are just as bad as the people who want to label this poster. 
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

RP112579 said:

“The role of artists is to make people think and feel, and the current administration has us thinking and feeling,” Ament tells Rolling Stone. “I was the sole conceptualist of this poster, and I welcome all interpretations and discourse.  Love, from the First Amendment, Jeff Ament.”
    Except Jeff took the opposite stance himself when it came to Kanye. Jeff expressed disappointment in Kanye and that it would change how he felt about his music going forward. Jeff didn't celebrate Kanye's ability to make people "think and feel". 
    Sticking with the Kanye whataboutism thing, huh? 
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    BS44325 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

All Speech is protected. You don't get to pick and choose. If you think you do then you are just as bad as the people who want to label this poster. 
    It's not protected from consequences.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options

pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

And that's the issue with hate speech laws. If they were subject to interpretation by this administration or this DoJ and/or a state that Trump carried by 20 points, there would be something to sweat here.
    @PJ_Soul likes to have her government sanctioned cake and eat it too...
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

RP112579 said:

I read Jeff's statement entirely the other way. He seems to be welcoming people to take the position he took on Kanye. Welcoming "all interpretations and discourse."
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    BS44325 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

No, all speech is not protected. It does depend on the country you're talking about, but it's simply false that all speech is protected. But no, I personally do not get to pick and choose - I never claimed that (because I'm not insane).
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    BS44325 said:

RP112579 said:

I read Jeff's statement entirely the other way. He seems to be welcoming people to take the position he took on Kanye. Welcoming "all interpretations and discourse."
    I disagree. Jeff could have said "I respect Kanye as an artist and while I disagree with him I support his right to speak and be thought provoking". He didn't do that. He said (paraphrase) "I loved Kanye but am disappointed in his thoughts and it changes how I feel about him. Also I don't understand Dragon Energy". Of course Jeff is entitled to say this but he shouldn't complain now that some are doing the same over this poster. Jeff didn't give Kanye the artistic support that he probably now desires.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

That's idiotic.
  • Options
    RP112579 said:
    BS44325 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

It's not protected from consequences.
    Completely agree. The consequence should not be a ban however. That is a consequence that will one day backfire on us all.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:
    BS44325 said:

pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

That's idiotic.
    Nope. It's hilarious.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    BS44325 said:

pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

That's idiotic.
    Nope. It's hilarious.
    What is hilarious about me pointing out that not all speech is protected? Please explain.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I love 

Pearl Jam
    Kurt Russle 
    Sean Penn
    Charlton Heston
    The Chili Peppers
    Megadeth
    Korn
    Steven Spielberg...

a god mix of liberals and conservatives who have impacted me positively. It’s possible people! 
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:
    BS44325 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

No, all speech is not protected. It does depend on the country you're talking about, but it's simply false that all speech is protected. But no, I personally do not get to pick and choose - I never claimed that (because I'm not insane).
    I'm pretty sure we're talking about the US and I'm so sorry but you do want to pick and choose. You want to elect people who will ban the speech you disagree with.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BS44325 said:

RP112579 said:

I disagree. Jeff could have said "I respect Kanye as an artist and while I disagree with him I support his right to speak and be thought provoking". He didn't do that. He said (paraphrase) "I loved Kanye but am disappointed in his thoughts and it changes how I feel about him. Also I don't understand Dragon Energy". Of course Jeff is entitled to say this but he shouldn't complain now that some are doing the same over this poster. Jeff didn't give Kanye the artistic support that he probably now desires.
    I don't see Jeff looking for support anywhere in that statement. He's standing by the work and inviting people to react however they choose.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    BS44325 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the US and I'm so sorry but you do want to pick and choose. You want to elect people who will ban the speech you disagree with.
    What people running for office want to ban certain speech?