Options

Missoula Poster

Comments

• Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    superj72 said:
    That Missoula poster is evil and harmful to the country. There have already been too many posters that have hurt feelings and ruined lives. Can you imagine if one of these posters was ever displayed in a school???

The US needs poster control. Now.
    The US needs "poster control" as much as it needs "thought control" - maybe that's what you meant? Freedom of speech (expression) is protected under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. So no - the US does not need Poster Control. 

However, with all due respect to Jeff and poster artist Bobby Brown, there are so many more "controversial" visual artists who have done a great job at shocking the public. I'm curious why people aren't more "shocked" by Robert Mapplethorpe's Self Portrait with Whip (1978) , Manuel Ocampo's Untitled (Burnt Out Europe (1992), Marcel Duchamp's Fountain (1917) and the many works by Chinese political artist Ai Wei Wei. Art is not always meant to be pretty. So my artistic kudos to Ament & Brown!

I know I sound like an art snob (I am an art teacher after all), but just Google those works I just listed...the PJ Trump Poster will seem like a warm fuzzy kitten compared. ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMtsodcAsVU
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    The poor guy who did the art closed his instagram account.  I hope he sells these so we can help support him, this was his first big break.  All the crap thats going on in real life in Washington and people get more worked up over a piece of art......
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    superj72 said:
    That Missoula poster is evil and harmful to the country. There have already been too many posters that have hurt feelings and ruined lives. Can you imagine if one of these posters was ever displayed in a school???

The US needs poster control. Now.
    The US needs "poster control" as much as it needs "thought control" - maybe that's what you meant? Freedom of speech (expression) is protected under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. So no - the US does not need Poster Control. 

However, with all due respect to Jeff and poster artist Bobby Brown, there are so many more "controversial" visual artists who have done a great job at shocking the public. I'm curious why people aren't more "shocked" by Robert Mapplethorpe's Self Portrait with Whip (1978) , Manuel Ocampo's Untitled (Burnt Out Europe (1992), Marcel Duchamp's Fountain (1917) and the many works by Chinese political artist Ai Wei Wei. Art is not always meant to be pretty. So my artistic kudos to Ament & Brown!

I know I sound like an art snob (I am an art teacher after all), but just Google those works I just listed...the PJ Trump Poster will seem like a warm fuzzy kitten compared. ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMtsodcAsVU
    I'm pretty sure superj72 was using some tongue-in-cheek hyperbole to make a point (a good one at that!) here.

I'm with you otherwise, thepureamericanriot. Politics aside. We're talking about ART!! ART!! Whether one agrees or disagrees with the artist's "message," an artist's ability to freely express himself or herself (regardless of the message) is of paramount importance. One may find an artist's message distasteful and may in turn choose to not view, read, or listen to said artist; that's one's prerogative. But to decry the freedom of artistic expression is (in my opinion) not only counterproductive but dangerous.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure superj72 was using some tongue-in-cheek hyperbole to make a point (a good one at that!) here.

I'm with you otherwise, thepureamericanriot. Politics aside. We're talking about ART!! ART!! Whether one agrees or disagrees with the artist's "message," an artist's ability to freely express himself or herself (regardless of the message) is of paramount importance. One may find an artist's message distasteful and may in turn choose to not view, read, or listen to said artist; that's one's prerogative. But to decry the freedom of artistic expression is (in my opinion) not only counterproductive but dangerous.
    LOL...true I'm a bit tone deaf when trying to decipher forum posts I guess. Haha.

I get all fired up when people start talking about censoring artists like Pearl Jam, Spike Lee, etc. In 2018 we now walking in the very Orwellian Nightmare we had hoped to avoid. When The Washington Post writes headline articles about a Pearl Jam gig poster, I'm very scared for any artist trying to express something controversial. The slippery slope is here.
  • Options
    LOL...true I'm a bit tone deaf when trying to decipher forum posts I guess. Haha. 
    I get all fired up when people start talking about censoring artists like Pearl Jam, Spike Lee, etc. In 2018 we now walking in the very Orwellian Nightmare we had hoped to avoid. When The Washington Post writes headline articles about a Pearl Jam gig poster, I'm very scared for any artist trying to express something controversial. The slippery slope is here.
    100% agree! Free Expression is being attacked on many fronts and in the name of many causes. But, I am confident that the freedom to express oneself will prevail. It's been attacked many times and in many ways, but it seems to always keep its feet under it despite the vicious blows.

Love the Hockney quote. Lotta respect for an artist who always finds new mediums (media?) and seems to thrive in each.

Cheers!
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Was he designing posters when he was in New Edition or did he start when he married Whitney Houston?
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    teskeinc said:
    Was he designing posters when he was in New Edition or did he start when he married Whitney Houston?
    If Millie Bobby Brown designed that poster, I'd be afraid...very afraid! LOL

• Options
    Here is poster artist Bobby Brown aka "Bobby Draws Skullz". Help an artist in need and buy one of his other posters...
    https://society6.com/bobbydrawsskulls
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,802
    teskeinc said:
    "They say i'm crazy"
    "I really don't care"
    that's my prerogative"

1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,773
    Rumors are SiriusXM may cancel PJ radio over backlash from Missoula poster..
    They just played Social Distortion. After hearing what Mike Ness just did...way worse than a poster.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    Rumors are SiriusXM may cancel PJ radio over backlash from Missoula poster..
    They just played Social Distortion. After hearing what Mike Ness just did...way worse than a poster.
    MAGA dues performs a flipping the bird at Ness protest at a Social D show and expected anything less?  LOL.  Not a swift move.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    D-Rod said:
    teskeinc said:
    "They say i'm crazy"
    "I really don't care"
    that's my prerogative"

LOL!
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    It's just really ugly.  Looks like a junior high school art project.  Maybe that was the target audience all along.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    What continues to be amazing to me is that the dull response being made assumes that the poster advocates violence, when it quite simply is implying what happens when a two bit real estate swindler is at a big seat in world and national politics.

The basic message of the allegory is that if in the end we are too late, at least he is such an idiot that if he burns it down he will rot in the swamp he said he was draining and a sweat Eagle will get to feed off him during the reboot. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    inhiding 1976inhiding 1976 NWI Posts: 580
    edited August 2018
    A little disappointed.  The Band who “cares about there fans” should understand there is a lot of fans that don’t agree with them politically. Causing a divide between the fan base isn’t good.  I love the music, the shows etc.  going to Wrigley both nights.  Hoping for good music and not a political lecture.
    Post edited by inhiding 1976 on

7-11-95, 6-14-98, 6-26-98, 6-27-98, 6-29-98, 8-17-98, 08-18-00, 8-20-00, 09-05-00, 10-7-00, 10-8-00, 10-9-00, 10-11-00, 4-21-03, 4-22-03, 4-23-03, 4-25-03, 04-26-03, 6-18-03, 6-21-03, 6-22-03, 6-25-03, 06-26-03, 10-3-04, 9-11-05, 9-12-05, 9-13-05, 5-9-06, 5-10-06, 5-16-06, 5-17-06, 5-19-06, 5-20-06, 6-23-06, 6-24-06, 6-29-06, 8-5-07, E.V. Milwaukee and Chicago night 1, 8-23-09,08-24-09, 5-7-10, 5-9-10, E.V. 6-28-011, 9-3-11, 9-4-11, 7-19-13, 10-11-13, 10-3-14, 10-17-14, 10-20-14, E.V. 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 8-20-18, 8-22-18, 9-16-22, 9-18-22, 9-5-23, 9-7-23, 9-10-23
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,879
    Did they take down Bobby's Facebook and Instagram accounts? :( 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

The more I think about this poster / controversy, the more I love it.

The best art is controversial & sparks debate. Mission accomplished. (& it's an ugly ass poster too!)

I hope the Thief Citizen tweets about it.  

• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    I think Bobby didn't want to deal with the onslaught from the alt-right, whose internet time is in desperate need of limits.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120
    Jvollman said:
    Hopefully all these hypocrites who are enraged do not attend this weekend and thin out the GA pit!!  

Perhaps the poster went a bit too far? I was not a fan of "When they go low, we go high" nonsense, but does the band have to stoop to the moronic GOP level of discourse?

Saying that, would love to hear anyone in the band publicly invite any trump supporter to stay home at the away shows or even all future PJ shows 
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Pretty sure that the poster may have gone over better with the right side if Hillary was on it trapped under a smashed computer or something...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    Jvollman said:
    Hopefully all these hypocrites who are enraged do not attend this weekend and thin out the GA pit!!  

Perhaps the poster went a bit too far? I was not a fan of "When they go low, we go high" nonsense, but does the band have to stoop to the moronic GOP level of discourse?

Saying that, would love to hear anyone in the band publicly invite any trump supporter to stay home at the away shows or even all future PJ shows 
    I have to start with the fact that I’m not a supporter of either parties. Having said that, how is your last sentence not racist? Telling people to not come because of their political beliefs? What’s the difference there? I’m honestky curious. What an odd mentality that would be 
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited August 2018
    nicknyr15 said:
    Jvollman said:

I have to start with the fact that I’m not a supporter of either parties. Having said that, how is your last sentence not racist? Telling people to not come because of their political beliefs? What’s the difference there? I’m honestky curious. What an odd mentality that would be 
    Racist is not good in this sentence.  Unless you are assuming that all Trump supporters are white, then it could apply.  ;)
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Jvollman said:

The post isn't racist.  It's just silly.  I didn't realize a Pearl Jam show should solely be comprised of people what the exact same views as the band.  The band has a right to their views, and their fans have a right to disagree with them.  
  • Options
    kenkkenk Posts: 210
    This just finally hit the front page of Yahoo. They are a little late to the party but apparently this isn't ready to die down yet.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    nicknyr15 said:
    Jvollman said:

The post isn't racist.  It's just silly.  I didn't realize a Pearl Jam show should solely be comprised of people what the exact same views as the band.  The band has a right to their views, and their fans have a right to disagree with them.  
    I wish more people thought this way. It hasn't been said on these boards but the FB pages have some truly vile people on there, the sad part is i'm sure a lot of those people are on here as well. 
    NYPJ
  • Options
    A little disappointed.  The Band who “cares about there fans” should understand there is a lot of fans that don’t agree with them politically. Causing a divide between the fan base isn’t good.  I love the music, the shows etc.  going to Wrigley both nights.  Hoping for good music and not a political lecture.
    i get trying not to divide people/fans but these are, imo, extreme circumstances, so NOW is definitely not a time to take a step back.
    i hope ed gets the trump mask out next...
  • Options

The more I think about this poster / controversy, the more I love it.

The best art is controversial & sparks debate. Mission accomplished. (& it's an ugly ass poster too!)

+1
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Fans who are upset/disappointed/faux-outraged by this poster need to take a little look at themselves. This band's politics have been well known since the very beginning. That hasn't changed. If you are suddenly upset by it now, you are the one who has changed.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,773
    kenk said:
    This just finally hit the front page of Yahoo. They are a little late to the party but apparently this isn't ready to die down yet.
    Nope. It is going to grow. And I feel we are gonna get a better show at Wrigley because of it.

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    JimmyV said:
    Fans who are upset/disappointed/faux-outraged by this poster need to take a little look at themselves. This band's politics have been well known since the very beginning. That hasn't changed. If you are suddenly upset by it now, you are the one who has changed.
    Plus JA’s statement welcomes all debate & criticism of it the man is standing by his decision to create it ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....