Missoula poster

Comments

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    dignin said:
     "Love, from the First Amendment, Jeff Ament."

Fuck yeah.
    Jeff sounds like Kanye. Too bad he didn’t have the balls to defend Kanye’s right to free speech in his magazine interview and instead slagged him for supporting Trump. Jeff didn’t get “dragon energy” and the Missoula concert proved it.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    Jeff sounds like Kanye. Too bad he didn’t have the balls to defend Kanye’s right to free speech in his magazine interview and instead slagged him for supporting Trump. Jeff didn’t get “dragon energy” and the Missoula concert proved it.
    Free speech doesn’t guarantee that you don’t get criticized for your speech, poster , or political affiliations at least JA welcomes all counter criticism....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    Free speech doesn’t guarantee that you don’t get criticized for your speech, poster , or political affiliations at least JA welcomes all counter criticism....
    Seems JA’s statement has been lost on some. Not surprising.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    Or maybe you were upset about Planned Parenthood being there. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.

lol
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    I guess I'm not surprised that you don't understand how free speech really works.
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    That is straight up funny lol!  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Is dragon energy the same as very stable genius?
    Because Kanye and Trump are definitely known for their stability lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    wow, this is yahoo's headline story right now.
    Pathetic. So, so pathetic (also kind of hilarious - the more offended some people are from this poster, the more awesome the poster becomes). Come on America, pull it together.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    I couldn't care a less

dignin said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    I guess I'm not surprised that you don't understand how free speech really works.
    Oh I get how it works. Jeff has the right to make any commentary he wants. He just can't present himself as a big defender of artistic freedom. He sort of gave up that talking point when he didn't cut Kanye any slack.
    rgambs said:
    Is dragon energy the same as very stable genius?
    Because Kanye and Trump are definitely known for their stability lol
    Dragon energy is the life blood of the "doer". It is present all over the Kanye albums that were released in June. It's what was missing from the Missoula show.
  • BS44325 said:

dignin said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    Oh I get how it works. Jeff has the right to make any commentary he wants. He just can't present himself as a big defender of artistic freedom. He sort of gave up that talking point when he didn't cut Kanye any slack.

Did he actually say something about Kanye?

Or are you calling him hypocritical because he didn't jump into Kanye's corner to defend him?

If scenario #2 is what you are getting at... why would it be his place to defend Kanye?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    I couldn't care a less
    You cared enough to mention it in the other thread. 
    Yes... I too am SHOCKED that Jeff didn’t defend Kanye’s statements. 

I totally expected Jeff to jump on board & agree that slaves were only slaves by choice. 

What an outrage. 
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4389383/pearl-jam-concert-poster-white-house-flames-donald-trump/

Coverage has filtered north of the border (although it is an Associated Press story).  Not sure where I stand on the whole controversy, but the funniest part of the article is in the accompanying comments where someone threatens to boycott the band while admitting he's never bought any of their albums, and calls Pearl Jam a one-hit wonder, lol.
    I'll admit that last year when Prophets Of Rage put out a video depicting numerous Republicans' heads exploding it made me quite uncomfortable, and I'm confident that I would have felt equally uncomfortable if it was Democrats' heads exploding.  There's a fine line here, in my opinion, but that line shifts from person to person, obviously.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    BS44325 said:

dignin said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    point GIF
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    I couldn't care a less
    Really? You are going to purposely choose to manipulate what I said? Why? Clearly it is intentional. Some of you are really interesting cats. 

BS44325 said:

dignin said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.

Did he actually say something about Kanye?

Or are you calling him hypocritical because he didn't jump into Kanye's corner to defend him?

If scenario #2 is what you are getting at... why would it be his place to defend Kanye?
    He actually said something on Kanye when asked. I commented on it at the time...there is a thread with a link to the article. 
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck yeah.
    I couldn't care a less
    Really? You are going to purposely choose to manipulate what I said? Why? Clearly it is intentional. Some of you are really interesting cats. 
    You brought up Planned Parenthood. I’m suggesting that may have effected your reaction to the show rather than vague references to tiger energy or whatever the heck. 

Yes... I too am SHOCKED that Jeff didn’t defend Kanye’s statements. 

I totally expected Jeff to jump on board & agree that slaves were only slaves by choice. 

What an outrage. 
    It's no different then what Bob Marley said. Remember when Eddie and Beyonce covered that tune? I know...feh.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-05-04-pearl-jams-jeff-ament-says-kanye-west-outburst-is-a-big-publicity-stunt/

"Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament says while he loves Kanye West, the rapper/producer's recent comments on Donald Trump and slavery being "a choice" have made him swing "the other way." Ament says he regrets reading a recent article about what Kanye has been saying because now he can't enjoy the rapper's music.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer tells NME in a new interview that he doesn't know Kanye personally, but he says it seems to him that the rapper is motivated by getting attention. Ament says West being associated with the Kardashians probably has a role in his recent outbursts. 

"All of it is just a big publicity stunt," said the bassist. "He’s been out of the news for a few months, so I think he’s looking to generate some [news]."

Whether West truly believes what he's saying is anyone's guess, but most people close to Kanye say the artist can't cite any facts to back up his political stances and hasn't thought about the wider affects of his comments on race. Kanye recently said hundreds of years of African slavery indicates the slaves made "a choice" to remain in chains.

For Ament, he's just a fan who thinks Kanye's last tour was one of the greatest live events he's ever experienced, "but then when he opened his mouth, I swung the other way." Ament says he acutely understands the frustration of millions of Kanye fans. 

“I have a hard time separating the art from the artist. There’s certain artists where I don’t read their interviews because it really affects me enjoying their music. I wish I hadn’t opened that text that had the article about dragon energy and Donald Trump. It’s unfortunate.”"

I'm pretty ok with Jeff giving his honest assessment of the Kanye situation.

Wow, he really went after Kanye's free speech.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/pearl-jam-jeff-ament-interview-trump-kanye-west-2307764

What do you think of someone like Kanye West recently coming out in support of Trump?

“I love Kanye, I saw the last Kanye tour and I thought it was one of the greatest things ever, but then when he opened his mouth, I swung the other way. I think he’s just, you know, with the Kardashians and that whole thing. All of it is just a big publicity stunt. He’s been out of the news for a few months, so I think he’s looking to generate some. He says something about dragons, I don’t know, dragon energy, whatever that is.”

Does this affect your enjoyment of his music?

“I have a hard time separating the art from the artist. There’s certain artists where I don’t read their interviews because it really affects me enjoying their music. I wish I hadn’t opened that text that had the article about dragon energy and Donald Trump. It’s unfortunate.”

dignin said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/pearl-jam-jeff-ament-interview-trump-kanye-west-2307764

What do you think of someone like Kanye West recently coming out in support of Trump?

“I love Kanye, I saw the last Kanye tour and I thought it was one of the greatest things ever, but then when he opened his mouth, I swung the other way. I think he’s just, you know, with the Kardashians and that whole thing. All of it is just a big publicity stunt. He’s been out of the news for a few months, so I think he’s looking to generate some. He says something about dragons, I don’t know, dragon energy, whatever that is.”

“I have a hard time separating the art from the artist. There’s certain artists where I don’t read their interviews because it really affects me enjoying their music. I wish I hadn’t opened that text that had the article about dragon energy and Donald Trump. It’s unfortunate.”

Exactly. "...with the Kardashians and that whole thing. All of it is just a big publicity stunt." Way to defend a fellow artist. "Love Kanye...but then when he opened his mouth, I swung the other way." Pathetic if you ask me.
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Exactly. "...with the Kardashians and that whole thing. All of it is just a big publicity stunt." Way to defend a fellow artist. "Love Kanye...but then when he opened his mouth, I swung the other way." Pathetic if you ask me.
    Explain what this has to do with free speech, other than Jeff exercising his?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Which part of “slavery was a choice,” do you disagree with?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Apparently if you disagree with someone, you are limiting their free speech. The goal post keeps moving these days with the pro-Trump crowd. 

Remember, don't believe your lying eyes and ears.
    dignin said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

You all keep saying that you can do "nuance"...but I wonder. Yes it is Jeff exercising his speech. He is entitled. He is not required to say anything. What I am suggesting with my speech is that these words from an artist who strongly believes in artistic freedom are frankly pathetic. A true believer in artistic freedom would have made a point of saying that "Even though I disagree...Kanye is a unique individual which is what makes his music great...which is why I love him in the first place...it's what makes Ye Ye." Jeff didn't do that. He questioned Kanye's integrity. An artist who takes controversial stances shouldn't do that to another artist who takes opposite controversial stances. They should embrace each other. They should support each other. It's artistic freedom that is at stake.
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Which part of “slavery was a choice,” do you disagree with?
    Definitely not this part...

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
    None but ourselves can free our minds"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dignin said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:

Yeah, I'm not clear on what you're really trying to get at either BS. I don't understand what it is you have a problem with. Are you saying that you think Jeff should not have an opinion about something stupid that Kanye said? Or are you saying he has to like all artists even when they are idiots, or not criticize artists when they say or do something he thinks sucks? I can't quite figure this out, knowing that you do support free speech. I dunno, do you think that there is something wrong with people not separating art from the artist maybe??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
This discussion has been closed.