mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    15 minimum wage?  This is a joke, correct?  Minimum wage should be 20 and all employers should have a health tax placed on them that allows the government to citizens basic healthcare, including dental, drugs, eye cart, physio chiro, etc...this includes Canada...

You think many small businesses can afford $20 an hour?
    Maybe don't start a business in which you'll need hired help if you cannot then pay the person you hired a living wage?
    This is confusing.  Why is it up to the business to determine if they are paying a living wage?  Isn't it up to the applicant to make that decision based on their personal situation?  A business is designed to pay the rate where supply equals demand so long as the amount is over the minimum wage.  Maybe the business should do a financial review of the applicants situation and determine whether the applicant should even take the job for the rate.  And if the business decides...no, this isn't a living wage for the person, then it would be morally reprehensible to offer the job to the applicant.  

I worked on Wall Street for 10 years, so I've heard the above bolded blind spot quite often. While many Wall Streeters may have earned their minimum wage badge in such a situation, the majority of minimum wage applicants have very little choice in the matter. In this nation, some are born impoverished, some achieve poverty, and some have poverty thrust upon them. Raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour goes a little way toward eradicating that last one. I'm all for municipalities raising their own minimum wages by vote or committee, just as they do with sales taxes in some municipalities.

And to answer your question: Assuming that both the small business employer and applicant live within roughly the same region as the physical place of business (shop, office, etc.), then one could likely take it on good faith that the employer knows the region and the relative economic situations of the municipalities within the region. In other words, a little empathy and some common fucking sense. If lacking in either, one should not open/run a small business.
    A little common sense eh?  This argument is not about the federal minimum, you argued that if you can't pay living, don't open the business.  What if the person has a gainfully employed spouse and this is just some retirement/spending/leisure cash?  Maybe the mandatory interrogatory would flush that out. 
    I'm sorry, your argument is bizarre.  A business owner should not take skill, scarcity, demand or even the federal minimum wage into account when opening as business.  They have some amorphous obligation to determine what the "livable wage" is in their area before opening a business.  Because it would be better for a potential business owner to NOT open a business at $10 per hour and have ZERO employees and pay no one a wage, than to pay something less than what you believe is a living wage for that person....whatever you think that number is. 
    See thread title. 

I didn't realize I needed to wear my uniform today, working from home and all.

Don't be a simpleton.  You said businesses should not open unless they pay a living wage, not that they meet federal minimum wage.  I would argue in certain markets $15 is not living for a family of 2+.  In other markets, it is.  
    In what markets is $15 an hour considered a live-able wage?  Definitely not near me or you.  
    Rural areas.  If you are single and have no kids, then maybe then too.  It's all situational.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    15 minimum wage?  This is a joke, correct?  Minimum wage should be 20 and all employers should have a health tax placed on them that allows the government to citizens basic healthcare, including dental, drugs, eye cart, physio chiro, etc...this includes Canada...

Maybe don't start a business in which you'll need hired help if you cannot then pay the person you hired a living wage?
    This is confusing.  Why is it up to the business to determine if they are paying a living wage?  Isn't it up to the applicant to make that decision based on their personal situation?  A business is designed to pay the rate where supply equals demand so long as the amount is over the minimum wage.  Maybe the business should do a financial review of the applicants situation and determine whether the applicant should even take the job for the rate.  And if the business decides...no, this isn't a living wage for the person, then it would be morally reprehensible to offer the job to the applicant.  

I worked on Wall Street for 10 years, so I've heard the above bolded blind spot quite often. While many Wall Streeters may have earned their minimum wage badge in such a situation, the majority of minimum wage applicants have very little choice in the matter. In this nation, some are born impoverished, some achieve poverty, and some have poverty thrust upon them. Raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour goes a little way toward eradicating that last one. I'm all for municipalities raising their own minimum wages by vote or committee, just as they do with sales taxes in some municipalities.

And to answer your question: Assuming that both the small business employer and applicant live within roughly the same region as the physical place of business (shop, office, etc.), then one could likely take it on good faith that the employer knows the region and the relative economic situations of the municipalities within the region. In other words, a little empathy and some common fucking sense. If lacking in either, one should not open/run a small business.
    A little common sense eh?  This argument is not about the federal minimum, you argued that if you can't pay living, don't open the business.  What if the person has a gainfully employed spouse and this is just some retirement/spending/leisure cash?  Maybe the mandatory interrogatory would flush that out. 
    I'm sorry, your argument is bizarre.  A business owner should not take skill, scarcity, demand or even the federal minimum wage into account when opening as business.  They have some amorphous obligation to determine what the "livable wage" is in their area before opening a business.  Because it would be better for a potential business owner to NOT open a business at $10 per hour and have ZERO employees and pay no one a wage, than to pay something less than what you believe is a living wage for that person....whatever you think that number is. 
    See thread title. 

Don't be a simpleton.  You said businesses should not open unless they pay a living wage, not that they meet federal minimum wage.  I would argue in certain markets $15 is not living for a family of 2+.  In other markets, it is.  
    In what markets is $15 an hour considered a live-able wage?  Definitely not near me or you.  
    Rural areas.  If you are single and have no kids, then maybe then too.  It's all situational.  
    Can those rural areas afford to pay someone $15 an hour? I just don't see it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,667
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:

See thread title. 

Can those rural areas afford to pay someone $15 an hour? I just don't see it.  
    Well I don’t know.  I think it depends on a bunch of factors including the demand and skill of the particular position.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:

Well if you triple minimum wage I’m guessing a very large portion of small businesses can’t afford that. So they close. Fewer jobs, more unemployment. Less tax income to support that. $20 an hour is a lot of money to expect every small business to pay. Maybe telling people to not start a business if they can’t pay workers $160 a day isn’t the right approach. 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:

See thread title. 

So what’s a livable wage? What a 25 year old single guy can live on, or what a single mom of 2 needs? Seems like paying everyone as if they are a single mom of 2 without a second income from a second parent or child support of any kind, whether they are or not, is asking for ridiculous inflation. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,667
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:

See thread title. 

So what’s a livable wage? What a 25 year old single guy can live on, or what a single mom of 2 needs? Seems like paying everyone as if they are a single mom of 2 without a second income from a second parent or child support of any kind, whether they are or not, is asking for ridiculous inflation. 
    I'm not the one arguing that businesses should not open unless they pay a livable wage, hence my snark about a financial interrogatory to determine individual situations.  I believe in the fed wage, and then market driven after that.  I've been forced to modify salaries many times for job roles depending on the location, the unemployment rate, the changing skill sets, etc.  I can pay a SQL developer less in SW Florida than I can here in Richmond because the demand is greater here.  At the same time, keeping developers has become much more expensive over the past ten years compared to say.. a Lean project manager, whose skills are a little out of vogue right now.  The same goes for entry level positions.  I have to pay more in VA for the same thing as in Florida.  And when unemployment was super low, starting salaries went up. And now, I've had probably five people leave since the pandemic started, completely flipped. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:

See thread title. 

I'm not the one arguing that businesses should not open unless they pay a livable wage, hence my snark about a financial interrogatory to determine individual situations.  I believe in the fed wage, and then market driven after that.  I've been forced to modify salaries many times for job roles depending on the location, the unemployment rate, the changing skill sets, etc.  I can pay a SQL developer less in SW Florida than I can here in Richmond because the demand is greater here.  At the same time, keeping developers has become much more expensive over the past ten years compared to say.. a Lean project manager, whose skills are a little out of vogue right now.  The same goes for entry level positions.  I have to pay more in VA for the same thing as in Florida.  And when unemployment was super low, starting salaries went up. And now, I've had probably five people leave since the pandemic started, completely flipped. 
    I didn't mean to imply you were advocating for shutting small businesses down for not being able to afford $20/hr. But that was a real question, not for you but for anyone. It's been referenced several times that a single mom can't like on a specific wage. So what do we deem a livable wage, and therefore create a minimum wage? Is it a kid just out of high school? Just out of college? Or a single mom of 2 kids? They all require a different amount to live.  
    It doesn't make sense to me to calculate what a single mom needs and base the minimum wage off that, thus inflating the marking. It makes more sense to me to base a livable wage off what a single person needs. And as a government have better programs to support single moms, or be harsher on deadbeat dads about paying child support. Or even better, programs to offer training to help get a better job and off support. Some programs like that already exist. 

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    edited March 2021
    If the minimum wage is raised to $15, what happens to those who were already earing $15/hour based on their skills, as opposed to a government mandate.  Will these people opt for easier jobs since they can earn $15/hour no matter what, or will they demand a higher wage as to differentiate themselves from an unskilled worker who now earns the same as them?

I would rather see people increase their take-home pay as a result of a higher upper limit of the lowest Federal tax bracket.
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,054
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    If the minimum wage is raised to $15, what happens to those who were already earing $15/hour based on their skills, as opposed to a government mandate.  Will these people opt for easier jobs since they can earn $15/hour no matter what, or will they demand a higher wage as to differentiate themselves from an unskilled worker who now earns the same as them?

I would rather see people increase their take-home pay as a result of a higher upper limit of the lowest Federal tax bracket.
    Wayyyy back in the day for $4.75 minimum wage I was making 5.25 and it jumped to 5.25.  I got screwed.

This was in Alaska at the time where it was higher than federal.  I was pissed.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    If you work for the same company for that long and see no improvement is it the company's fault or the employee?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    static111 said:
    If you work for the same company for that long and see no improvement is it the company's fault or the employee?
    Yeah while I don't disagree with anything that guy said, I'm sure there's many jobs he could apply for and get that have better pay and benefits. Factory work, truck-driver, custodian, security guard, etc. He has work experience and seems like he'd interview well. There's not a doubt in my mind he could get a better paying job. I hate to sound like a dick, but he's 37 doing the same job I had when I was 16. 

As for his point about his wife's job, it is pretty outrageous how little direct care professionals are paid. That's tough work and the people who receive those services really need them. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Yeah while I don't disagree with anything that guy said, I'm sure there's many jobs he could apply for and get that have better pay and benefits. Factory work, truck-driver, custodian, security guard, etc. He has work experience and seems like he'd interview well. There's not a doubt in my mind he could get a better paying job. I hate to sound like a dick, but he's 37 doing the same job I had when I was 16. 

As for his point about his wife's job, it is pretty outrageous how little direct care professionals are paid. That's tough work and the people who receive those services really need them. 
    From what I have seen over the years the Caribbean exports a ton of healthcare workers that look after our elderly very cheaply.

Yes it is a shame that we spend so little on those employees that take a lot of care of older loved ones.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Here's the actual tweet since it isn't posting for you...

Speaking of sub-minimum wage for people with disabilities, my cousin who has Down Syndrome makes $10 per week working at his workshop (though he contends he makes $40,000). Now, to a large degree, the workshop is meant to give people like him something to do during the day, and his job is basically just boxing things (or something, I never really understand what it is when he describes it). But still, he is working. And whatever it is he boxes up is used somewhere, so it's not like he and his co-workers aren't providing a service. I understand that a great deal of the money go to the staff there (as it should, as they're "supervisors" but really in charge of caring for a large group of people with disabilities for 8 hours). But $10 per week? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    static111 said:

Speaking of sub-minimum wage for people with disabilities, my cousin who has Down Syndrome makes $10 per week working at his workshop (though he contends he makes $40,000). Now, to a large degree, the workshop is meant to give people like him something to do during the day, and his job is basically just boxing things (or something, I never really understand what it is when he describes it). But still, he is working. And whatever it is he boxes up is used somewhere, so it's not like he and his co-workers aren't providing a service. I understand that a great deal of the money go to the staff there (as it should, as they're "supervisors" but really in charge of caring for a large group of people with disabilities for 8 hours). But $10 per week? 
    You sure he's not an inmate somewhere?  That sounds like prison rates.
  • Options
    static111 said:

Well again, while he is "working," the workshop mainly functions as day program where he and other folks like him are, for lack of a better term, being "babysat." And whatever it is he does sounds like something a machine could easily do (and much quicker). But still, a dollar or two an hour would be better than $10 per week. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    static111 said:

Well again, while he is "working," the workshop mainly functions as day program where he and other folks like him are, for lack of a better term, being "babysat." And whatever it is he does sounds like something a machine could easily do (and much quicker). But still, a dollar or two an hour would be better than $10 per week. 
    Got it.  It also makes them feel a sense of being in society I would imagine?

I like the idea of that program actually.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    static111 said:

End tipped minimum wage? Is that where to can put someone below minimum wage if they collect tips? 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,122
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:

End tipped minimum wage? Is that where to can put someone below minimum wage if they collect tips? 
    Yes. It’s really stupid too. This of the no brainer of the entire argument for me 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Appears Jon Tester voted against this proposal. Your move, PJ.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:

Yes. It’s really stupid too. This of the no brainer of the entire argument for me 
    Yeah some waiters/waitresses make as little as $3 an hour cause they also get tipped. It’s ridiculous. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:

Yeah some waiters/waitresses make as little as $3 an hour cause they also get tipped. It’s ridiculous. 
    But the #1 argument of we need to tip 20% is because they make so little hourly. Does this mean we tip 10% now?

I’ll say I almost always tip the 20% for sit down service because I know it’s expected. But I think it’s a dumb practice. I can go to Applebee’s and buy a $10 sandwich and water and I’m expected to tip $2. The table next to me orders the $20 specialty plate and 2 drinks and he’s expected to tip $8. Was his service any different? Pay the waiters like a normal employee, even if it means increase the cost 10 or 15%
    But now I’m also expecting with an increase to $15, the cost of dining will go up to cover that, and therefore tipping.

Also seems like the expected tip goes up with time. The reason is inflation. But doesn’t inflation raise the cost of food, which determines the tip? So that doesn’t make sense to me. And not just the cost, but places that you tip. It’s a pet peeve with the self serve restaurant where they ask you to tip before you receive anything. The restaurant where you wait in line to order, you wait until they yell out your order and they give you a basket of food and an empty cup to fill yourself. Before any of that happens, when you place an order they shove an iPad in your face that asks what would you like to tip, and it’s usually 18, 20 or 25%. But why? They haven’t done anything yet. I don’t know what the service or food is like. And it’s self serve, seems like the options should be 5 or 10% after I got my food.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Mr. Pink?
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Mr. Pink?
    Why can’t I be Mr Black?

Except he was against tipping. I’m not against it, I just think the protocol doesn’t make sense.
    I guess I am against the standard full tip on a self service restaurant. But do you go inside and tip the gas station attendant in a self service gas station?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:

But the #1 argument of we need to tip 20% is because they make so little hourly. Does this mean we tip 10% now?

I’ll say I almost always tip the 20% for sit down service because I know it’s expected. But I think it’s a dumb practice. I can go to Applebee’s and buy a $10 sandwich and water and I’m expected to tip $2. The table next to me orders the $20 specialty plate and 2 drinks and he’s expected to tip $8. Was his service any different? Pay the waiters like a normal employee, even if it means increase the cost 10 or 15%
    But now I’m also expecting with an increase to $15, the cost of dining will go up to cover that, and therefore tipping.

Also seems like the expected tip goes up with time. The reason is inflation. But doesn’t inflation raise the cost of food, which determines the tip? So that doesn’t make sense to me. And not just the cost, but places that you tip. It’s a pet peeve with the self serve restaurant where they ask you to tip before you receive anything. The restaurant where you wait in line to order, you wait until they yell out your order and they give you a basket of food and an empty cup to fill yourself. Before any of that happens, when you place an order they shove an iPad in your face that asks what would you like to tip, and it’s usually 18, 20 or 25%. But why? They haven’t done anything yet. I don’t know what the service or food is like. And it’s self serve, seems like the options should be 5 or 10% after I got my food.
    Yes if people would be paid normally, we wouldn’t have this ridiculous situation where you tip hardly based on service at all. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2021
    I’ve eaten at restaurants in quite a few different countries where they pay their staff a living wage so that they do not need to rely on tips to survive. I don’t recall any of the meals I ordered being noticeably more expensive than a similar meal would be in the US. In fact, often I was surprised by how much less expensive it was than the US most of the time. Well, except for Germany, but Germany is just goddamn expensive. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I’ve eaten at restaurants in quite a few different countries where they pay their staff a living wage so that they do not need to rely on tips to survive. I don’t recall any of the meals I ordered being noticeably more expensive than a similar meal would be in the US. In fact, often I was surprised by how much less expensive it was than the US most of the time. Well, except for Germany, but Germany is just goddamn expensive. 
    I just hated paying more for water than beer when I was in Europe.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    That never happened to me. Cause what idiot buys water instead of beer? ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    That never happened to me. Cause what idiot buys water instead of beer? ;)
    I mean, I wasn’t devastated over it. But when you’re walking around a foreign city all day in the summer sometimes you just want some water. Almost always it was about $3 for a tiny glass of water that would last about 2 seconds or $4-5 for a liter of beer. It was an easy choice.