Options

Texas shooting, Our fault.

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    I blame gangsta rap and heavy metal music.
    And Murphy Brown. 
    And Grand Theft Auto.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    Its been confirmed that a shotgun and a revolver were used.  Is it now time for all of us to agree that there is a fundamental breakdown that we have all all created one way or another verses banning a certain type of gun?  
    yes, its your fault
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    And Murphy Brown. 
    And Grand Theft Auto.
    I was thinking more along the lines of Space Invaders' or 'Galaga'.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    brianlux said:
    And Murphy Brown. 
    And Grand Theft Auto.
    Now were going in The Way Back Machine, haha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    That Texas governor or whatever he is is a dickhead.
    Saying video games and not being religious are to blame.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    brianlux said:
    And Murphy Brown. 
    And Grand Theft Auto.
    Not Frogger? 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    brianlux said:
    And Murphy Brown. 
    And Grand Theft Auto.
    Not Frogger? 
    Frogger is responsible for J-walking.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    YOU ARE NOT an anti gunner if you want common sense gun laws...

We in Canada have decent gun laws.  Plenty of people I know still hunt and enjoy and they never complain about such nuisances as trigger locks, proper gun storage...etc.  
    Just want to repeat this Bolded part. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    fife said:

We in Canada have decent gun laws.  Plenty of people I know still hunt and enjoy and they never complain about such nuisances as trigger locks, proper gun storage...etc.  
    It can't be repeated enough. Gun ownership is not the problem. American gun culture is.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

It can't be repeated enough. Gun ownership is not the problem. American gun culture is.
    could you not say that gun ownership is a part of gun culture?  like when you have people who own many guns. 
  • Options
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

could you not say that gun ownership is a part of gun culture?  like when you have people who own many guns. 
    Sure, but owning too many guns or fighting tooth and nail against regulation of guns or failing to properly store your guns or using your guns to overcompensate for something...all of these are greater parts of the problem than someone owning (and properly storing) a gun or two.

• Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    brianlux said:
    What's your point here matts?  To instigate and, as Meltdown said, to lump everyone into two distinct camps?  This kind of thread produces no results other than yet another AMT thread shoot-out.

My point is, singling out this idea that a gun is responsible is not only irrgonorant but also offensive.  Guns have been a part of American culture since day one.  Why now all of a sudden are guns to blame for shootings?  It’s an honest question.  High schools used to have shooting teams.  Actual loaded guns in the school and they shot at targets.  My point is that at some point there became this unwavering ideology of the ar15 is the fault.  If no one was allowed an ar15 then none of this would ever happen.  Now that logic is out the window, what’s next?
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    Karate here.  Karate here.  Karate never here
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

Why does the number of guns matter?
    why is someone who owns 10 guns and problem  locks them up in a safe just as much or more of a problem than the guy who owns 2 and shoved them under his bed for his teenage kid to find?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

why is someone who owns 10 guns and problem  locks them up in a safe just as much or more of a problem than the guy who owns 2 and shoved them under his bed for his teenage kid to find?
    Shhh, you can’t ask that level headed of a question here.  Seriously I agree one hundred precent.  The problem with the question you just asked is you will never get a direct answer, and that’s the f’n truth about gun control.  We never get to the meat and potatoes about it, everyone does a dancing nancies routine of what they think someone will like or agree with.  It’s a f’n shame.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

Shhh, you can’t ask that level headed of a question here.  Seriously I agree one hundred precent.  The problem with the question you just asked is you will never get a direct answer, and that’s the f’n truth about gun control.  We never get to the meat and potatoes about it, everyone does a dancing nancies routine of what they think someone will like or agree with.  It’s a f’n shame.
    That's baloney, just because you don't like what people have to say, that doesn't mean they aren't saying anything.
    You talk about meat and potatoes?  Seriously?  You are a hit and run poster, you drop in with controversial and aggressive comments and then dip out and never ever give a direct answer to the level headed questions asked of you.  Look in the mirror if you want to see dancing Nancies.

You can post however you want, I don't care, but don't expect to chastise these boards for a lack of substance without someone pointing out the extreme hypocrisy of it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

It doesn't matter specifically, it matters generally.
    The problem being discussed is gun culture, and a gun culture which places no concern on the number of firearms owned is one that has few limits at all.
    My survivalist neighbor may or may not have his stockpile secured, and he may or may not be violent, but that's anecdotal.  Across a large population with a completely unchecked gun culture, many violent people will have access to firearms which can injure 500+ people in 10 minutes.
    Number of guns owned certainly mattered in Las Vegas.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    mace1229 said:
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

“Responsible” until they’re not. Dancing Nancies like “most.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-safe-gun-storage-20180221-story.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

More bullshit. The simple answer to the simple question is that there are TOO MANY FUCKING GUNS FLOATING AROUND HOUSEHOLDS ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES. Anyone keeping a small arsenal in their home is part of the problem.

It's not "our fault." It never was.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    brianlux said:
    What's your point here matts?  To instigate and, as Meltdown said, to lump everyone into two distinct camps?  This kind of thread produces no results other than yet another AMT thread shoot-out.

My point is, singling out this idea that a gun is responsible is not only irrgonorant but also offensive.  Guns have been a part of American culture since day one.  Why now all of a sudden are guns to blame for shootings?  It’s an honest question.  High schools used to have shooting teams.  Actual loaded guns in the school and they shot at targets.  My point is that at some point there became this unwavering ideology of the ar15 is the fault.  If no one was allowed an ar15 then none of this would ever happen.  Now that logic is out the window, what’s next?
    Guns have been a part of every society and culture around the world since their inception, but only one country seems to have perpetuated a reckless and seemingly unrestricted right to own guns, no matter what the implications of this right. Do we really need to rehash the history of guns and their historical evolution both in efficiency and usage since the 1700's for you to understand why a problem that didn't exist 50 years ago is now so prevalent? 

Based on this, then we also shouldn't ban bump stocks because they aren't used in every mass shooting. Where is this unwavering ideology you speak of that AR-15's are always at fault? If anything, I think there is definitely an unwavering belief that the AR-15 serves no purpose to the general public and is commonly used in mass shootings so why are we unwilling to make a change to the access needed to acquire one? I don't think anyone here is naive enough to believe the banning of an AR-15 style weapon will stop mass shootings.

What is really baffling is your unwavering support for continued unfettered ownership of weapons that can kill a lot of people very quickly.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

It matters because it reflects a really weird fixation on guns. 

The US is messed. One of two things is certain: gun nuts have no idea they are gun nuts... or gun nuts don't give a shit how ridiculous they present themselves as.

Come to think of it, it might actually be a combination of the two items: Cletus is a moron without any personal awareness and truly believes he needs advanced weaponry for a zombie invasion (or hostile government takeover). His passion supersedes the need to protect society.

**** When comparing data comparing gun deaths in the US to other countries (which is like comparing t-ball to the major leagues)... the lone and distinguishing variable working against the US is... gun ownership. The US has too many guns. More guns equals more deaths by guns.

What a joke. The poster below you said something like, "Ya see. Ya see ya just can't have a decent conversation with these folks. They just don't get it." Well f**king duh. What's to get?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    fife said:

Since you ask me the question here is my answer (it sounds alot like 30 posts).  last time I checked there were roughly 310 million guns in the states.  that is about 89 guns for everyone 100 people.  there was a PEW research in 2017 that said that 66% of gun owners have more than one gun at home.  for me that shows that gun owners do have a fixation on owing or having many guns and I do believe that it is a part of the gun culture. 

I don't think this is really controversial. 

• Options
    Why does someone get classified an anti-gunner just because they want common sense gun laws?
    What is common sense gun laws?  It sounds really good to say, but what exactly is it?  I’ll stand behind you 100 percent if it’s good, but no one actually defines common sense gun laws.  And as a heads up, have some research behind what it is and what you are saying is common sense gun laws.  As a person speaking to you that believes I the 2nd amendment, I’m also a none gu owner.  I have nothing to win or gain in this debate aside my ideology of the 2nd amendment.  I’ve been wrong before and my world didn’t crash down.  But what is common sense gun laws?
  • Options
    Why does someone get classified an anti-gunner just because they want common sense gun laws?
    What is common sense gun laws?  It sounds really good to say, but what exactly is it?  I’ll stand behind you 100 percent if it’s good, but no one actually defines common sense gun laws.  And as a heads up, have some research behind what it is and what you are saying is common sense gun laws.  As a person speaking to you that believes I the 2nd amendment, I’m also a none gu owner.  I have nothing to win or gain in this debate aside my ideology of the 2nd amendment.  I’ve been wrong before and my world didn’t crash down.  But what is common sense gun laws?
    There are hundreds of pages full of suggestions for common sense gun laws here.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rgambs said:
    There are hundreds of pages full of suggestions for common sense gun laws here.
    Yeah bro, you been under a rock Matt? Lol
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Yeah let’s keep researching the answers might come to us by the next massacre !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    More intense thoughts and prayers.

The laws should insist on really speaking nicely to the lord after the massacres (in case he was all pissy after fighting with Satan or something).
  • Options
    More intense thoughts and prayers.

The laws should insist on really speaking nicely to the lord after the massacres (in case he was all pissy after fighting with Satan or something).
    It really is our fault that we didn't think and pray hard enough.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    It's hard to take you seriously with a post like this. Go over to the gun violence thread and read up, you might learn something.

In fact, mods should merge this thread with the gun violence thread....this one is redundant.