Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited March 2018
    The only folks who care if pj is political or not (of course they are, relax, we all know and don’t care) are those who can’t get through a day without reading up on the day’s politics.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I dig anytime Ed gets angry and the band is political. Two thumbs up from me. 

Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    Who is being denied what?

we are with a so so song
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 580
    I’m for it. Like the opening drum beat and groovy tempo - not too fast, percussion choices overall enjoyable. Jeff’s bass in the chorus is another highlight for me. 

Great treat for the annual single!!

• Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    HAS A HUGE CLASH FEELING!

no it doesn't. soundgarden if anything. b-side at best!

october22 said:
    This song is terrible. I'm surprised to see I'm the only one who's posted so far that thinks so, but hey, that's cool that you guys like it. Wish I could share your enthusiasm. 
    it's not very good, it's just a song. if that's 4 years in the making?
    Well it's a promo single for fan club only. So enjoy it for what it is.

Unless you're one of the ones who's gonna be butt hurt by the lyrical content. And in that case, that's kind of what it's about 
      what lyrical content?
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Many moons ago, I remember staying up into the early hours waiting for the Radio 1 Rock Show to play Pearl Jam's new song.  Naturally they left it until the last song of the show, when they finally played Nothing As It Seems, I remember being bitterly disappointed.  It took me a long while before I finally appreciated that song, I was hoping for another Given To Fly, and obviously it didn't tick that box.  I don't know if it's just being older, but I find myself just taking things for what they are these days.  This might not be a huge soaring anthem, but for me, they sound energised and inspired, and that is more than I could ever hope for from a band who have been going this long.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    awesome track
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited March 2018
    FR181798 said:
    october22 said:
    This song is terrible. I'm surprised to see I'm the only one who's posted so far that thinks so, but hey, that's cool that you guys like it. Wish I could share your enthusiasm. 
    I wouldn't go as far as saying it's terrible. I'm not loving it like it others though. To me it's just okay. It may grow on me. I think a lot of people were so desperate for new music. I'm glad it's only the annual single. I'm wondering if this has been put out there because there was a lot of backlash over the delay in the 2016 single. Still not got that 2016 vinyl yet btw.
    Yeah, I also wouldn't go as far as terrible, but I'm definitely not loving it... or liking it too much. I dunno, there just isn't any finnese to it, the beat sounds kind of clumsy to me, the tempo is a bit draggy, and Eddie's voice sounds strained IMO. I have no clue where the comments about him sounding like Chris Cornell are coming from - that is throwing me for a loop, lol.
    ... But It's not the worst they've done in the past 10 years.... I suppose it is possible that I might end up liking it somewhat more than I do after 2 listens, I dunno. But I am hoping this isn't also going to be on the next album. If this is just an annual single, then that's cool.
    Sorry folks, I know lots of you hate it when people don't love new music, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    I feel very fortunate to simply check my email to discover a new PJ song is waiting for me. Some how they kept the shhhhhhhh, and surprised us. I love Pearl Jam...a lot. :) I'm real happy right now
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    RF283499RF283499 Posts: 141
    I like it. 

It kinda swings in that one part, "the higher, the farther" or whatever. A raw gibson guitar early 70's sound.

That's pretty cool. 

I will put it on my devices asap.
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    RF283499RF283499 Posts: 141
    edited March 2018
    Nah, I give it a solid 6. Maybe a 7.

Some songs take time to age properly. Give it a few more listens.
  • Options
    plezdizplezdiz Posts: 5
    Excellent ,love it #tidyonions 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:
    october22 said:
    I wouldn't go as far as saying it's terrible. I'm not loving it like it others though. To me it's just okay. It may grow on me. I think a lot of people were so desperate for new music. I'm glad it's only the annual single. I'm wondering if this has been put out there because there was a lot of backlash over the delay in the 2016 single. Still not got that 2016 vinyl yet btw.
    Yeah, I also wouldn't go as far as terrible, but I'm definitely not loving it... or liking it too much. I dunno, there just isn't any finnese to it, the beat sounds kind of clumsy to me, the tempo is a bit draggy, and Eddie's voice sounds strained IMO. I have no clue where the comments about him sounding like Chris Cornell are coming from - that is throwing me for a loop, lol.
    ... But It's not the worst they've done in the past 10 years.... I suppose it is possible that I might end up liking it somewhat more than I do after 2 listens, I dunno. But I am hoping this isn't also going to be on the next album. If this is just an annual single, then that's cool.
    sounded exactly like cornell in the first verse to me before i even read anyone else say that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    it's simple. it's straightforward in message and melody/construction. i dig it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2018
    One thing I am impressed by: the annual single is only 3 months late! The 2018 single might actually end up being on schedule!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:
    october22 said:
    sounded exactly like cornell in the first verse to me before i even read anyone else say that. 
    Really, eh? I am not hearing it at all.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    it's simple. it's straightforward in message and melody/construction. i dig it. 
    and stuck in yo0ur head
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:
    october22 said:
    The first two lines in particular. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    One thing I am impressed by: the annual single is only 3 months late! The 2018 single might actually end up being on schedule!
    don't start talking crazy now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,542
    It is ok on first listen. Not jumping to any conclusions yet, but not blown away.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,485
    After a few listens and then looking at some of the lyrics the song is getting pretty catchy. I'm starting to dig it more and more. I like it
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    dkast85dkast85 NYC area Posts: 99
    Decent song. Pretty enjoyable.
    @DaveKast
    "Memory is the only paradise from which we cannot be driven." - Jean P. Richter
    Phoenix 2013, LA 1 2013, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Philly 1 2016, MSG 1 2016, MSG 2 2016, Fenway 2 2016.
  • Options
    ac281090ac281090 new jersey Posts: 36
    my annual singles are not downloading, anyone else?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Thanks, 10c! :rock_on:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Very good for a Christmas single.  Its not Shattered part 2.  

Cmon this isnt the first single from the album.  
  • Options
    JK109224JK109224 Posts: 563
    It's better than most songs on Lightning Bolt. Definitely channelling some Soundgarden here. What I like most is the production - it sounds raw as balls, which is great - last 2 albums have been too slick.

It's not their best song obviously but it's promising for some interesting things on the next album.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Can’t Deny Me - Pearl Jam

And now you want me to breathe
    And be so grateful
    Ahhhhh, for the air that I need
    (haha) Don’t make me pitiful

And in the morning light
    We’re just the same you and me
    On the ghosts of officials 
    Our propensity to breath

The higher
    The farther
    The faster you fly
    You may be rich, but you can’t deny me
    Got nothing, got nothing but the will to survive
    You can’t control, and you can’t deny me

Your eyes are sick
    You’re sick and evite 
    You can’t deny me

You try to talk down to me
    My mind it ain’t so simple
    Where’s your vocabulary
    Your ignorance is sinful

You plant the liar’s seeds,
    Watch as your ruse take hold
    The country you are now poisoning
    Condition critical!

The higher
    The farther
    The faster you fly
    I know it’s true, and you can’t deny me
    Got nothing, got nothing, you got nothing to hide
    Let the bullshit walk(little bullshit whore) 
    and you can’t deny me

The higher
    The farther
    The faster you fly
    His soul’s so sick, and you can’t deny me!

You can’t deny me
    You can’t deny me
    You don’t defy me
    You can’t deny me

The higher
    The farther
    The faster you fly
    You know you’re sick, and you can’t deny me!

Got nothing, just nothing, got something to hide
    We see right thru you
    And you can’t deny me!

Darkness, darkness, darkness alike
    You can’t deny me

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Hopefully this means new album!

I think it was a good idea to make this a 10C single. Decent enjoyable song and it's always fun to be surprised with some new PJ!!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:
    october22 said:
    Listen to the opening of Been Away Too Long, it's pretty similar, not the same, but definitely similar.