Let’s see those pedals?

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079

www.cluthelee.com
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

I took this picture last night. It's the misfit pedals that aren't on my board but I can't seem to bring myself to sell them. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,646

Latest addition to my board.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Harmonica Board (for real!)
    I love this board! The one pictured a few pages ago, other than the Pog and the Lex, was a board full of unused pedals that were not specifically acquired for harmonica. This board however is all harmonica. The blue pedal with the target is a Harp Octave. It's not really an Octave pedal though, more of a tone and overdrive fattener.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110

this thing finally showed up today. shipped to me from canada on 11/30/2020. arrived today frozen. have to let it warm up before i try it out. always wanted a vibe pedal with photocells.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    That's a great pedal.

Most of the older photocell vibes sound great but are also a little dark. I read in a tech manual a long time ago that designers selected cap values to roll off the high end in an attempt to reduce hiss/noise from the circuit. It's not much of a problem if you keep the Vibe on for a whole song and can compensate for it somewhere else in the chain but using the Vibe for just a lead or chorus or something always drove me nuts. Every time I switch on my MicroVibe, I have to turn up the tone control on my guitar to compensate for the loss of highs. It takes away the brightness or openness if that makes sense. 

Having EQ right in the circuit on the pedal really simplifies things. Congrats!
    dudeman said:
    That's a great pedal.

Most of the older photocell vibes sound great but are also a little dark. I read in a tech manual a long time ago that designers selected cap values to roll off the high end in an attempt to reduce hiss/noise from the circuit. It's not much of a problem if you keep the Vibe on for a whole song and can compensate for it somewhere else in the chain but using the Vibe for just a lead or chorus or something always drove me nuts. Every time I switch on my MicroVibe, I have to turn up the tone control on my guitar to compensate for the loss of highs. It takes away the brightness or openness if that makes sense. 

Having EQ right in the circuit on the pedal really simplifies things. Congrats!
    thanks man. i really like it. i have played it with my blues junior the last couple of days and it sounds killer with my tele and my les paul with paf pickups. i plan to plug it in with my main marshall tonight or tomorrow and see how it sounds. 

the main reason i bought this is because of the level control and the on board bass and treble knobs. i had read that there is some volume and treble drop off with certain univibe pedals. i figured i might as well spend an extra $50 to compensate for that. can't wait to dial in some live yellow ledbetter tones with my strat, haha.

funny that i was neve ever a "modulation" guy, but I am really liking starting to experiment with it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited January 2021
    Just opened this birthday present from a good friend!!

Any reviews here? 

I can’t wait to plug it in. 

Edit: D’oh! I don’t think this one takes a 9 volt battery but rather a DC 9-volt jack, which I don’t have at the moment. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    is that a chorus or a tremolo?

I'm flattered that you think I would know the difference.

Had to look at the owner's manual; it says that it has "classic chorus sound," so I'm going to go with chorus. Guessing that's going to sound layered.

I like tremolo. Cool that they have pedals for that. I use the whammy that came with the guitar I bought and kind of shake the guitar around a bit. A pedal seems like it might be easier.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    In the process of building a couple pedals. Pics to follow..  
    dankind said:
    I'm flattered that you think I would know the difference.

Had to look at the owner's manual; it says that it has "classic chorus sound," so I'm going to go with chorus. Guessing that's going to sound layered.

I like tremolo. Cool that they have pedals for that. I use the whammy that came with the guitar I bought and kind of shake the guitar around a bit. A pedal seems like it might be easier.
    very cool. yes some of the tremolo pedals i have seen are more versatile than the old amp style tremolo. some of them are a bit over the top for my tastes though. 

i like chorus. hopefully that one sounds as cool as it looks.

dudeman said:
    In the process of building a couple pedals. Pics to follow..  
    definitely keep us posted. can't wait to see the pics.

This one is a BYOC Mouse. Built from a kit. Very versatile, even by Rat standards. It has 3 clipping modes (Si, LED and Ge) and the ubiquitous LM308.

I can't compare it to some of the other boutique Rat clones out there but I think it sounds great. Good quality components in the BYOC kits.
    dudeman said:

This one is a BYOC Mouse. Built from a kit. Very versatile, even by Rat standards. It has 3 clipping modes (Si, LED and Ge) and the ubiquitous LM308.

I can't compare it to some of the other boutique Rat clones out there but I think it sounds great. Good quality components in the BYOC kits.
    that looks awesome!!

that LM308 is the big component of the rat, correct?

if i could solder i would be all over trying to build pedals.

Thanks.

Yes, the LM308 is the chip that was used in the originals and is considered by many to be superior to the modern equivalent. Much like the JRC4558 is the IC for the Tube Screamer.
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,086
    Just finished up some major pedal buying/pedalboard surgery. Maybe dump the acoustic sim and get a ditto, but otherwise really happy with how it turned out

2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    So you guys all take these boards out and play in public (assuming pre-COVID) or are some of these just to have the home setup a little cleaner?
    pjpjpaul said:

that is pretty awesome! i never thought to put some lighting on my board like that. looks really cool.

So you guys all take these boards out and play in public (assuming pre-COVID) or are some of these just to have the home setup a little cleaner?
    i have a furman board that is by "gig board" that i take to shows. but the longer i have it the more i want to change it to something more practical. it is a solid plastic board and there is no way to pass cables to the underside of the board to it looks really budget with cables going everywhere. i am thinking about getting one of the new holey boards and putting all of my other gig pedals on that board. also thinking about getting a smaller board to put some of the pedals for my practice amp on there. they are currently daisy chained on the floor and taking up way too much space. if i can get a small board i would put pedal on there to make a smaller footprint.

edited January 2021

I have mine daisy chained together at home.  I have been thinking about a board so I can easily move the pedals between rooms.   I play guitar the most while watching TV with a small amp.  The larger amps are in another room that is further away from my neighbors. 

I know this is more about guitars but it does go through The Edge's pedal system.  I found it a very interesting run down. 

Rig Rundown - U2's The Edge - YouTube

Haven’t really gigged in years, but keeping pedals all over the place sounds annoying. Always kept them on a board
    pjpjpaul said:

do these lights cause any weird interference or any noise in the signal chain? i know they are not plugged in to the signal chain, but some equipment can interfere with other equipment. just curious.

edited January 2021
    OK, your most basic of basic questions from a new(ish)-to-pedals/electric guitars guy.

My new pedal requires a 9-volt DC adapter (no place to put a battery). My other two pedals are battery powered, but they also appear to have a female end for an adapter. Is there some kind of device that would power all three, similar to those boards posted here, or do I need to buy three of these things (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SnarkSA1--snark-sa-1-slim-9v-dc-adapter) and take up three outlets?

Off topic: I still haven't figured out how to use the microphone I bought for my son nearly a year ago either. I need a stand and different cords and a different speaker/amplifier than my guitar ($$$$$ FUCK $$$$$). I might just give the fucking thing away. Starting to think electrification/amplification is maybe not for me. Fun to listen to and fun to play, but tough for this Luddite to get a handle on.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    pjpjpaul said:

do these lights cause any weird interference or any noise in the signal chain? i know they are not plugged in to the signal chain, but some equipment can interfere with other equipment. just curious.
    So far I've only gotten any weirdness from a fuzz pedal that is really sensitive to interference but all the other pedals work fine. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022

I just finished this up tonight. It's also based on a Rat circuit but it is heavily modified. Haven't tested it out at high volume yet but first impressions are promising. Very aggressive and tons of square wave fuzz in this box. It's kind of like a Rat, a Big Muff and a Fuzz Factory had a bastard child together. 
    dankind said:
    OK, your most basic of basic questions from a new(ish)-to-pedals/electric guitars guy.

My new pedal requires a 9-volt DC adapter (no place to put a battery). My other two pedals are battery powered, but they also appear to have a female end for an adapter. Is there some kind of device that would power all three, similar to those boards posted here, or do I need to buy three of these things (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SnarkSA1--snark-sa-1-slim-9v-dc-adapter) and take up three outlets?

Off topic: I still haven't figured out how to use the microphone I bought for my son nearly a year ago either. I need a stand and different cords and a different speaker/amplifier than my guitar ($$$$$ FUCK $$$$$). I might just give the fucking thing away. Starting to think electrification/amplification is maybe not for me. Fun to listen to and fun to play, but tough for this Luddite to get a handle on.
    You can get something like this (single wallwart and a daisy chain) to power all your pedals. You have to be somewhat conscious of full draw, but if you're just using a few pedals it won't be an issue. People with larger boards will often mount an isolated power supply under the board and run power/daisy chains out of the ports on that power supply.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotComboPk--truetone-1-spot-combo-pack

For the mic you'll need an XLR and most likely some sort of pre-amp before a speaker. That being said, I think they make self powered mics that terminate in 1/4in that you could plug into your guitar amp
    I love the Boss pedal tuner that allows you to power the daisy chain. For at home I am able to power at least 6 pedals with it.  I had to cut into the plastic a bit to get some connections to fit into a couple non-Boss pedals but it worked.  
    Thanks for the replies, folks.

I just looked at my other two pedals (DODs), and they require 10 volts.

MOTHERFUCKER!!

As for the mic, I used to run my old mic through my guitar amp, but it sounded terrible. I just don't think I'm willing to spend all this extra cash on cords another fucking speaker box and another preamp. Will likely just donate the new mic to a school program or something.
    I SAW PEARL JAM