Let’s see those pedals?

Comments

• Guitar Board:

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Oooh yeah!! Dewie likey.

Still loving it? I’ll own one eventually. Sounds great in every demo just already have several spots taken up by dirt and generally gain up by stacking. 

In the midst of a board shakeup. Have a couple things on the way. I’ll post an update in the next few weeks when it’s put back together. 
  • Repost
    Harmonica Board:

• DewieCox said:
    In the midst of a board shakeup. Have a couple things on the way. I’ll post an update in the next few weeks when it’s put back together. 
    I Just checked out some demo vids of that Funky-Vibe machine... me likey! 
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Cool boards on the last couple pages!

Minor changes with mine. Photo probably next week. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • I bought this pedal, took it out of the box, turned the tone, level and time knobs to noon, everything else at 0, plugged in between my amp with some distortion and my drop D guitar, and...... Tool - Pneuma!  Never had an easier time with a delay pedal!   

Good evening...
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    DewieCox said:

Still loving it? I’ll own one eventually. Sounds great in every demo just already have several spots taken up by dirt and generally gain up by stacking. 

yeah man. it's cool. i think it is better with an amp that is set more clean, but the pedal itself is super versatile. i am having some pafs put into my les paul custom, so i can't wait to hear it with that when the new pickups get installed.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    guy in my band just got the protein drive. it is a modded nobels ODR and blusebreaker circuit. sounds really, really fucking good. if i liked the ODR better I might consider one myself, but I have enough drive for now. he likes the protein almost as much as his king of tone, which is really saying a lot about the protein.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

^^^thats one of my new additions. Excited to give it a spin. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    Got a Catalinbread Topanga reverb pedal a few weeks ago to go with my new '57 Fender Champ amp.  Really like it. 
    DewieCox said:
    ^^^thats one of my new additions. Excited to give it a spin. 
    what do you think of the protein?

i just put some PAFs into my les paul and dropped my old marshall off at the amp doctor, so unfortunately i am on pedal buying pause for the next couple of months. 

Really cool, just as advertised. Both sides sound great separate and stacked is super juicy. Bluesbreaker side is quite a bit less congested than my old King of Tone and more high extension. Works better with a Tele for me. ODR side has a nice bite as well and really helps the low end from my Gibsons translate through the amp better than slot of other drives I’ve tried.

Which PAF’s did you go with? Went OX4 across the board with my 3 Gibby’s. Low wind A4 for my Silverburst Custom, Page set for my Standard and 64 Carter Wind for my 335(my current #1). Little pricey but got good deals on a couple of the sets and got to work with the winder for the other. Highly recommend RS Guitarworks for pots if you’re swapping everything. Insanely responsive and tons of useable range. 
    DewieCox said:
    Really cool, just as advertised. Both sides sound great separate and stacked is super juicy. Bluesbreaker side is quite a bit less congested than my old King of Tone and more high extension. Works better with a Tele for me. ODR side has a nice bite as well and really helps the low end from my Gibsons translate through the amp better than slot of other drives I’ve tried.

Which PAF’s did you go with? Went OX4 across the board with my 3 Gibby’s. Low wind A4 for my Silverburst Custom, Page set for my Standard and 64 Carter Wind for my 335(my current #1). Little pricey but got good deals on a couple of the sets and got to work with the winder for the other. Highly recommend RS Guitarworks for pots if you’re swapping everything. Insanely responsive and tons of useable range. 
    oh man i can't wait to try the protein. my buddy is a little worried about covid so i will not be jamming with him any time soon. he thinks the ODR side on the protein kills the actual old ODR that he has had on his board for years. he said he really loves them stacked as well. he mainly plays a tele with lollars and a gold top LP with lollar pafs in it. is the bluesbreaker the same type of circuit as jhs morning glory? prior to him getting the protein and the king of tone his favorite pedal was the morning glory. if that is a bluesbreaker type circuit it makes sense that he would like the protein. he has been on me to get a king of tone for a few years but i can't justify paying $500 for a single pedal. maybe someday. or maybe i can preorder one for half the price and wait 3 years, lol.

i ended up going with the RAF set from righteous sound. it is a small company in jersey. the guy worked for lollar for several years and went off on his own. i have his revelator set in my tele and wanted to give him a shot with the pafs in my les paul custom. so far i am really happy with them. i love the clarity. the pickups that came stock were rated 8.8 in the neck and 15.9 in the bridge. it would just never get as clean as i wanted. it was a $4000 guitar and i wanted it to sound like it. the rafs are rated 7.0 in the neck and 7.6 in the bridge. it gets really clean and clear, and can get gnarly when i need it. a demo video is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx1hxgdudLE&t=188s

I believe that’s right about the Morning Glory. As for the King of Tone, costs nothing to get on the list and once you’re at the top you can order immediately or wait and stay at the top. 

There are soooo many pickup builders and tons of great deals. Those seem really cool and I get really excited about the attention of detail these small builders display. 
    DewieCox said:
    I believe that’s right about the Morning Glory. As for the King of Tone, costs nothing to get on the list and once you’re at the top you can order immediately or wait and stay at the top. 

There are soooo many pickup builders and tons of great deals. Those seem really cool and I get really excited about the attention of detail these small builders display. 
    thats true. i guess i can get on the list. with covid may not play a show for another year so being on the list can give me something to look forward to haha...

yeah the small builders have to have attention to detail if they want to compete with the big guns. i mean lollar and fralin and seymour duncan have basically cornered the pickup market, so the little guys have to offer something different or in some cases better.

look at guys like wampler. they can basically get you an exact replica of a klon centaur for $100 instead of $5000.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    I have saved this thread.  I am clueless about pickups other than the words humbucker, single coil and P90 along with all of the boutique pedals.   Much to learn and spend apparently.
    I have saved this thread.  I am clueless about pickups other than the words humbucker, single coil and P90 along with all of the boutique pedals.   Much to learn and spend apparently.
    oh yeah. it is a whole other rabbithole than pedals, haha. i always wanted to keep my expensive guitars stock, but then i heard other people swapping out pickups and the difference that it makes so i decided to do the same myself. may be worth doing another thread on pickups. may get more replies and info. hell there may already be another dedicated pickup thread.

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,646

I plan on adding a switching system of some kind in the near future so I can cue up certain preset sounds on demand without pedal dancing. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:

I plan on adding a switching system of some kind in the near future so I can cue up certain preset sounds on demand without pedal dancing. 
    good stuff here!

couple of questions.

1. what amp are you running? i really like the angry charlie but with my amps set to basically be at breakup it is a little much for my setup. are you running a cleaner amp?

2. what is that single knob pedal next to the tuner? i like simplicity and am always looking for one or two knob pedals.

3. lastly, are the tumnus and soul food on at the same time? i have a tumnus that i love. was interested in the soul food and the guitar shop guy said "if you have a tumnus you do not need a soul food because they are the same". just trying to see if you run them at the same time, or use one for certain guitars. i use my tumnus always on for strats and teles, and usually off for humbuckers.

love the strymon stuff. i need to invest in some at some point after the first if the year.

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,646
    pjpjpaul said:

good stuff here!

couple of questions.

1. what amp are you running? i really like the angry charlie but with my amps set to basically be at breakup it is a little much for my setup. are you running a cleaner amp?

2. what is that single knob pedal next to the tuner? i like simplicity and am always looking for one or two knob pedals.

3. lastly, are the tumnus and soul food on at the same time? i have a tumnus that i love. was interested in the soul food and the guitar shop guy said "if you have a tumnus you do not need a soul food because they are the same". just trying to see if you run them at the same time, or use one for certain guitars. i use my tumnus always on for strats and teles, and usually off for humbuckers.

love the strymon stuff. i need to invest in some at some point after the first if the year.
    I'm running through a mesa cali tweed amp that is relatively clean. 

That pedal is a Reeves Electro 183 Sound Fuzz very limited run/rare

Tumnus and Soul Food are both based on the circuit of the Klon Centaur but I use one as basically a clean boost and the other with more drive so I get both ends of that circuits spectrum in my tone.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    pjpjpaul said:

good stuff here!

couple of questions.

I'm running through a mesa cali tweed amp that is relatively clean. 

That pedal is a Reeves Electro 183 Sound Fuzz very limited run/rare

Tumnus and Soul Food are both based on the circuit of the Klon Centaur but I use one as basically a clean boost and the other with more drive so I get both ends of that circuits spectrum in my tone.
    ah very cool. i love single knob fuzzes. james bouwman from against me! is building a no knob fuzz. super limited run. only like $100 so was thinking about maybe picking one up. 

ah great idea on getting both ends of the klon. may need to try that out. much easier than turning knobs in between songs. 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    I would love to have a pedal board like this but I can't jump that far any more.
    Rob Scallon and Sweetwater just broke the world record for the largest  guitar effect pedalboard  Guitar World

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    I would love to have a pedal board like this but I can't jump that far any more.
    Rob Scallon and Sweetwater just broke the world record for the largest  guitar effect pedalboard  Guitar World

I watched the video where they made that monstrosity and tested it to get in the Guinness Book of World Records. It was quite the undertaking and a number of noteworthy industry folks were involved.

Interesting if you're into pedals. 
    edited November 2020

This is where mine is at these days.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    dudeman said:

This is where mine is at these days.

Lookin' good!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

i've got a lovepedal vibronaut photocell vibe pedal on the way. i bought it on 11/30. coming from canada. was supposed to be here today but still hung up in customs. new estimated delivery is 12/14. review will be done once i have it. been wanting a photocell vibe for a few year now.

DewieCox said:

Impressive! Lots of top shelf gear there.

Your DIY board looks great too. Nice job!