Let’s see those pedals?

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    After 24 years of playing I am finally getting into the gear game.  Just upgraded my amp with a nice marshall (big shout out to @gimmesometruth27 for educating me)  and will be eventually looking into pedals.  What is everyone's top 3 of essential pedals?  Thanks so much guys!!!
    Mike
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    edited May 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    After 24 years of playing I am finally getting into the gear game.  Just upgraded my amp with a nice marshall (big shout out to @gimmesometruth27 for educating me)  and will be eventually looking into pedals.  What is everyone's top 3 of essential pedals?  Thanks so much guys!!!
    Mike
    Nice! I don't use a ton of pedals, but these are the 3 I use the most:
    Digitech DigiDelay (loop building, several other delay settings---reverse delay is my favorite)
    Digitech Element XP (Multiple effects, amp settings, wah)
    Outlaw Dead Man's Hand (simple, but effective, overdrive pedal)

I think my next project after the Tele build will be to build a good pedal box/board that's easy to transport.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Mike
    Nice! I don't use a ton of pedals, but these are the 3 I use the most:
    Digitech DigiDelay (loop building, several other delay settings---reverse delay is my favorite)
    Digitech Element XP (Multiple effects, amp settings, wah)
    Outlaw Dead Man's Hand (simple, but effective, overdrive pedal)

I think my next project after the Tele build will be to build a good pedal box/board that's easy to transport.
    I love the DigiDelay. I used to gig with it when I lived in the UK. I have a Boss DD20 now, which has a lot of bells and whistles, but the DigiDelay has so much for a compact pedal. I agree that the reverse delay function is wonderful. There are some glitch and sort-of-Freeze effects that can be achieved from the DigiDelay with a bit of experimentation.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,576

Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    edited July 2020
    That Vick Audio Violet Ram's Head is new and I'm really digging it. Switchable mids make a world of difference in a Big Muff circuit.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited July 2020
    Vick is great stuff but Stomp Under Foot it’s where it’s at for boutique Muffs imo. Buying new I might opt for a Vick, but used prices are pretty comparable. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    DewieCox said:
    Vick is great stuff but Stomp Under Foot it’s where it’s at for boutique Muffs imo. Buying new I might opt for a Vick, but used prices are pretty comparable. 
    I totally agree except that I couldn't find a SUF Muff clone with a mids switch. That has been my issue with Big Muffs in the past. Sounds great playing alone, disappears when other instruments come in.

Other people don't seem to have that problem as I've heard Muffs sound glorious when other people use them. When I've had them in the past, I just couldn't make it work. 

This fixes that. 
    Absolutely, gotta play them fucking loud!! Or play music that is arranged for it. Either have plenty of space or be going for a full band fuzz dozer approach.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,565
    dudeman said:
    While not really a pedal exactly, this is a pretty old school multi-effects unit with drum sounds. 

Made in the 1960's by Gibson/Maestro.

This one belongs to a friend of mine. I'm cleaning and testing it for him. So far, no electronic issues. That's pretty rare for something of this vintage.

(Sorry for the upside down pics. Can't seem to fix that on my phone.)
    Nice. Hendrix had one of these: it's possible that he used it on his studio version of the Star Spangled Banner at the Record Plant on March 18th, 1969.

Crazy. I'd never heard reference to a studio version of this, so I found the link. Totally trippy.

edited August 2020

I'm going to lie to myself and claim that this is "finished". (We all know how that goes.)

All analog. No shortage of things to play with. 
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982

How do you like the Op-Amp Muff?
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,646

Got my new fuzz pedal. Only 10 exist atm and I got #8 so pretty cool. Markus Reeves makes some great pedals at Reeves Electro. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    pjpjpaul said:

Got my new fuzz pedal. Only 10 exist atm and I got #8 so pretty cool. Markus Reeves makes some great pedals at Reeves Electro. 

"Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."

Rearranging my board some today. Thinking of replacing the dynacomp for an origin cali 76 and adding a morning glory and big sky eventually. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022

Finally got a JHS Morning Glory. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2020

Recalled that these have been sitting in our cords/wires bin that has been through eight moves. 

Put in some new 9Vs, plugged them into my new axe and amp, and, man, I still love that stereo flanger.

The mighty gain on the Orange Micro Terror almost renders the distortion pedal superfluous, though. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    i bought a nobels ODR mini the other day. after several days of playing it with different amps, i don't think i like it :( i really wanted to.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    just pulled the trigger on a 1981 inventions DRV. been eyeing these for about a year. it is basically a modified vintage rat circuit. i will let you know what i think.

after this all i need is a univibe and then i am done buying shit for a while. haha.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

The 1981 is a desert island pedal for one of the guys I play with. Sounds great with a variety of guitars and amps. Huge range of usable tones. 

I think you're going to love it. 
    dudeman said:
    The 1981 is a desert island pedal for one of the guys I play with. Sounds great with a variety of guitars and amps. Huge range of usable tones. 

I think you're going to love it. 
    i have always kind of strayed away from "distortion" pedals and used overdrive pedals because i have an old marshall jmp that is non master volume and no effects loop. i know a guy that has a reissue of my amp that has an effects loop. he puts his vintage rat in the effects loop and it sounds amazing. i am just worried about what it is going to sound like slamming the front end of my amp with this thing. if the amp is already on the verge of breakup and i slam it with a dirt box sometimes it gets to be too much and there is nowhere to go but down with the guitar volume and down on the drive knob. we shall see later today!

That's the real beauty of the Rat circuit. It does low gain, subtle OD really well. It can also do borderline fuzz levels of gain and everything in between. 
    dudeman said:
    That's the real beauty of the Rat circuit. It does low gain, subtle OD really well. It can also do borderline fuzz levels of gain and everything in between. 
    it sounds pretty good with my blues junior. i am not going to get a chance to plug it into my marshall or matchless tonight, but will definitely do so tomorrow!!

• GC31608GC31608 GA Posts: 227

Decided to splurge on an early Christmas present and pre-order TMR’s Triplegraph digital octave pedal. Thing looks like a beast. Hoping to extract loud healing sounds for the soul.
    GC31608 said:

Decided to splurge on an early Christmas present and pre-order TMR’s Triplegraph digital octave pedal. Thing looks like a beast. Hoping to extract loud healing sounds for the soul.
    man that thing is bad ass!!!!

edited October 2020
    I wanted to snag one of the Gamechsnger/Thirdman Plasma pedals. Really all of
    the Thirdman pedals are pretty legit. My hang up is that they all just sound like Jack White. He’s informed many of my pedal
    purchases through the years but going with less “perfected” options lets me get that vibe without totally aping. 
  • GC31608GC31608 GA Posts: 227
    DewieCox said:
    I wanted to snag one of the Gamechsnger/Thirdman Plasma pedals. Really all of
    the Thirdman pedals are pretty legit. My hang up is that they all just sound like Jack White. He’s informed many of my pedal
    purchases through the years but going with less “perfected” options lets me get that vibe without totally aping. 
    I’m with you on those plasma pedals, they sound good af.  Love that thickness they provide, but I ultimately went with the triple. I agree that most of the pedals listed on their site will get you some elements of his sound, but the guy is inimitable.
    i just played the 1981 with my matchless and my marshall. ho leee balls.

this pedal covers everything. extremely clean chime to fuzz territory. it played better with my matchless because the matchless is set pretty clean. it was pretty bright with the marshall, which is set at breakup. if i dime the high cut it is useable and sounds good, but do not need to stack it with any other od. i normally have a tumnus always on with a strat or tele, but with the 1981 i don't need that. kind of bums me out because i love that tumnus with single coils. this thing can run as a clean boost, overdrive, or distortion. i found a couple of settings i really like on both amps, but it is almost too much for my marshall. need to put it on my board with a wah, phaser, delay, and reverb pedal and see how it sounds. that is a project for the weekend because i hate fucking with wiring and pedal placement.

• Harmonica Board: