Options

March For Our Lives - Parkland Students Demanding Action

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    It’s really a shame that some people can’t even have a reasonable discussion about public health issues without trolling and getting insulting. Separate even from talking about guns, I mean. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2018
    It’s really a shame that some people can’t even have a reasonable discussion about public health issues without trolling and getting insulting. Separate even from talking about guns, I mean. 
    Hey, you were the one that decided to dig into this rabbit hole full of bullshit by trying to make something out of nothing.  Stop trying to play the victim now.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    My kids don’t get proper care because they weren’t asked about firearms. That’s a good one lol. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    My kids don’t get proper care because they weren’t asked about firearms. That’s a good one lol. 
    No, not getting proper care because of all the things I mentioned that you guys say you weren’t asked about - car seats, choking hazards, access to toxins. It’s hard to believe those things aren’t discussed in the usual well baby/child visits. 
  • Options

PJPOWER said:
    Hey, you were the one that decided to dig into this rabbit hole full of bullshit by trying to make something out of nothing.  Stop trying to play the victim now.
    Not playing the victim, just identifying what I see. And yes, I decided to discuss public health issues and pediatric care, which isn’t actually bullshit. Pretty much all developed nations engage in preventive health strategies. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

PJPOWER said:
    Not playing the victim, just identifying what I see. And yes, I decided to discuss public health issues and pediatric care, which isn’t actually bullshit. Pretty much all developed nations engage in preventive health strategies. 
    Ok Dr...moving on.  Thanks for the public health announcement.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    Or actually make schools safe.
    Did you conceal carry in those some 20 other countries you visited?
    Alex, I'll take That's None of Your F-ing Business for $500 please.
    It’s what you respond with when you’re afraid of an honest answer. I thought you were a tough guy?
    I think you have me confused with those that lob personal attacks from the safety of their Mom’s basement.  I’m sure someone here can help you with that.

Afraid of an honest answer?  The answer was completely honest and factual.  
    How is asking you a question a personal attack? You claimed to have traveled to 20 some countries. I asked you an honest question. Paranoid and afraid I see.
    His response did appear quite “honest and factual”.  It is literally none of your business...I assume that is what most gun owners are telling the doctors that ask about gun ownership as well.  And pollsters for that matter.  

Are you being ironic when you say "literally"? Asking about guns is, literally, a doctor's business, particularly when there are children in the home. It's a public health issue, just like asking about car seats, safe storage of medications and poisons, and avoiding choking hazards.

And by definition, a pollster asking about guns is literally their business, since they are being paid for that. 
    No, it is literally non of Halifax’s business.  I was just saying that the response is probably typical of the one gun owners would give pollsters or doctors.  
    I’ve never had a doctor ask about car seats, safe storage of medication/poison, or things that could be a choking hazard...have you?

Oh, come on - this is what you said: "It is literally none of your business...I assume that is what most gun owners are telling the doctors that ask about gun ownership as well" . You're going to try to say that you're not saying that it isn't a doctor's business?

And of course I've had doctor's ask about car seats, safe storage of medication and choking hazards. That's a no-brainer, if you have kids. 
    As I said, the doctor would probably only ask those questions if the felt the person was irresponsible or uneducated...You are digging for something that isn’t there.  I clarified what I meant, so if you still want to twist it to mean what you misinterpreted, then that is your twisted prerogative.  Regardless, if someone doesn’t want to tell a Dr or pollster, they would probably say “it’s none of your business” like unsung said...or just lie.  
    This is pretty elementary, sorry if you are having trouble understanding.  

Ha ha! Pot, kettle, black. Where did you say that the doctor would only ask those questions if they felt the person was irresponsible? Somehow I don't see that in your short sentence. Maybe I'm having trouble understanding because you didn't actually say that.

But in any case, you're wrong about that. It's routine for doctors to ask about health issues. It's kind of what they do. Yes, sometimes patients refuse to answer; that's a completely different issue than trying to claim it isn't their business. 
    I guess you “jumped the gun” and responded while I was still editing the post.  Sorry for the confusion.  I have never been asked about gun ownership, seatbelts, poisons, etc.  It is interesting that you have...
    If someone went to the dr for a sore throat and they asked if I owned any firearms, then I see it within the realm of possibilities for them to tell the dr that it is none of their business or flat out lie and I do not blame them.

So, to sum up, it’s my fault for responding to what you wrote because it really wasn’t what you meant to write. 

Did you miss the part where I said originally “when there are children in the home”? Doctors ask parents/caregivers about risks to children all the time. It’s their job. It’s weird that you’re disputing this. It’s got nothing to do with you going in to have your sore throat checked on. 
    I have never had a pediatrician ask those questions.  Again, doctors are most likely going to evaluate the specific patients needs and provide extra education on those matters to ones that they are worried about.  Any other parents around here?  Do you get asked where you store poisons, medication, or whether or not you have a child seat when you go to the pediatrician? 

Yes, if it's a doctor who I haven't met before and my kids are there for the appointment. I definitely have not been asked it every time if it's our normal doctor and clinic.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Yeah we should keep the kids safe keep the movement alive don’t loose focus , thanks all for keeping this thread going ..
    Jose, thank you for bumping this thread.
    School will be starting soon.
    Hopefully, it will be a peaceful year for all.
  • Options
    Yeah we should keep the kids safe keep the movement alive don’t loose focus , thanks all for keeping this thread going ..

Serious question: do you guys think you can go one school year without a major incident?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    thanks for the support and yes i'm hoping we go a whole school yr with any kids loosing theit life to a delussional gun man ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281

Serious question: do you guys think you can go one school year without a major incident?
    I have to be honest i really don't think it can happen but i'd do cart wheels if we could go one yr with out any school mass shootings but just the fact that we have to have this debate is sickening to me ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited July 2018

Considering over 90% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones unfortunately no.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    unsung said:

Considering over 90% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones unfortunately no.
    That stat is based on manipulated and controversial data based on a definition of "gun-free zones" that is not accepted by many. Just an FYI for others, in case they're new here and decide to take what you post at face value and not do their own research.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

That stat is based on manipulated and controversial data based on a definition of "gun-free zones" that is not accepted by many. Just an FYI for others, in case they're new here and decide to take what you post at face value and not do their own research.
    You could also say the same thing about a “school shooting”.
    examples: two gangs shoot at each other after school hours on school grounds and they consider it a “school shooting”.
    suicide by firearm on school grounds when no students are present is considered a “school shooting”.

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

Manipulated based on the definition of gun free zones?  These were FBI statistics.

So is the President treasonous because the FBI is to be believed except for when it comes to gun stats?  Your side can't keep up with the excuses.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

Manipulated based on the definition of gun free zones?  These were FBI statistics.

So is the President treasonous because the FBI is to be believed except for when it comes to gun stats?  Your side can't keep up with the excuses.

"My side"? And what excuses? I was pointing out that the stat you posted is hotly debated. I couldn't care less where your number came from or who posted it. If you want to know why the stat is hotly debated, do your own research, just like everyone else should.
    FYI, I'm one of the people who said Trump wasn't treasonous with his comments. I think you need to figure out where people stand here instead of blindly chucking out defensive comments that don't apply to the people you're addressing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    That gave me a good laugh. 

Guess he’s worried about the “live by the sword, die by the sword” adage. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018

unsung said:

Considering over 90% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones 
  • Options
    unsung said:

Except for those ones where the armed school security failed to prevent the attacks. 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:
    Ok Dr...moving on.  Thanks for the public health announcement.
    Oh, you’re on fire today. 

Mass shootings are a public health issue, so I think I’ll keep on talking about public health in a mass shooting thread. You can keep talking about barbecuing, I guess. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    No, not getting proper care because of all the things I mentioned that you guys say you weren’t asked about - car seats, choking hazards, access to toxins. It’s hard to believe those things aren’t discussed in the usual well baby/child visits. 
    We had an initial car seat check when leaving the hospital but the rest is common sense. I m not understanding how the us medical field is terrible because a doctor didn’t tell me to put all toxins and medication out of reach.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    We had an initial car seat check when leaving the hospital but the rest is common sense. I m not understanding how the us medical field is terrible because a doctor didn’t tell me to put all toxins and medication out of reach.
    This could be a cultural difference... I wouldn't know either way, as I don't have kids. But assuming often knows what she's talking about, and assuming you guys are right about this being unusual where you are, perhaps American doctors just don't do this, while Canadian doctors (and maybe doctors in other countries) do it more regularly. If one has to choose, it seems the more detail-oriented a doctor is, the more thorough, the better. My favorite kind of doctor is one who is excessive in his or her attention to detail.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    This could be a cultural difference... I wouldn't know either way, as I don't have kids. But assuming often knows what she's talking about, and assuming you guys are right about this being unusual where you are, perhaps American doctors just don't do this, while Canadian doctors (and maybe doctors in other countries) do it more regularly. If one has to choose, it seems the more detail-oriented a doctor is, the more thorough, the better. My favorite kind of doctor is one who is excessive in his or her attention to detail.
    Absolutely agree Allie. The more detailed the doctor the better. But the examples brought up seem uneccessary to me. The nurse visiting the home after the baby is born Is so odd to me. 
  • Options
    And definitely a cultural difference!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    And definitely a cultural difference!
    Oh, yes, nurses visiting homes to help and inform new mothers is fairly normal here and in Europe as well. It's really too bad it's not more common in America. Mind you, while it's part of regular healthcare in certain European countries, it's not at all a given in Canada. I know plenty of moms who don't do it and don't want it. One needs to make arrangements for that kind of thing, and seek out the service and pay for it (though it could be at least partially covered by extended healthcare plans).
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    It’s what you respond with when you’re afraid of an honest answer. I thought you were a tough guy?
    I think you have me confused with those that lob personal attacks from the safety of their Mom’s basement.  I’m sure someone here can help you with that.

How is asking you a question a personal attack? You claimed to have traveled to 20 some countries. I asked you an honest question. Paranoid and afraid I see.
    His response did appear quite “honest and factual”.  It is literally none of your business...I assume that is what most gun owners are telling the doctors that ask about gun ownership as well.  And pollsters for that matter.  

Why? Are you embarrassed? Or afraid Obama is going to come take them away?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    Remember  when this thread  was about the kids from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High and the March For Our Lives
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Are you being ironic when you say "literally"? Asking about guns is, literally, a doctor's business, particularly when there are children in the home. It's a public health issue, just like asking about car seats, safe storage of medications and poisons, and avoiding choking hazards.

And by definition, a pollster asking about guns is literally their business, since they are being paid for that. 
    No, it is literally non of Halifax’s business.  I was just saying that the response is probably typical of the one gun owners would give pollsters or doctors.  
    I’ve never had a doctor ask about car seats, safe storage of medication/poison, or things that could be a choking hazard...have you?  I do not think those questions are standard practice unless the dr already feels the person is irresponsible for some reason.  When I was a counselor, we would inquire as to if someone had access to knifes or guns if they were suicidal or homicidal, but it wasn’t standard otherwise.  Even then, if someone said “no”, then there was no way of actually knowing if they were telling the truth, so it was a bit redundant.  The person would only answer truthfully if they felt compelled.
    I find it ironic that in multiple threads on this site the gun nutters openly brag about their arsenals and their CWPs but when questioned about it, as it relates to foreign travel, from my perspective of wanting to know more, the gun nutters get defensive and resort to personal attacks. What’s the secret and why the hostility?

Snowing hard in July, blizzard like conditions.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

I’ve never had a doctor ask about car seats, safe storage of medication/poison, or things that could be a choking hazard...have you?  I do not think those questions are standard practice unless the dr already feels the person is irresponsible for some reason.  When I was a counselor, we would inquire as to if someone had access to knifes or guns if they were suicidal or homicidal, but it wasn’t standard otherwise.  Even then, if someone said “no”, then there was no way of actually knowing if they were telling the truth, so it was a bit redundant.  The person would only answer truthfully if they felt compelled.
    I find it ironic that in multiple threads on this site the gun nutters openly brag about their arsenals and their CWPs but when questioned about it, as it relates to foreign travel, from my perspective of wanting to know more, the gun nutters get defensive and resort to personal attacks. What’s the secret and why the hostility?

Snowing hard in July, blizzard like conditions.
    I don’t see how a us citizen could carry in a foreign country. I can imagine I would be able to bring my bolt action into Canada to hunt but no way could I carry a handgun. Shit I can’t even bring my handgun from New Jersey into New York.