Options

PJ show w/an infant - for those that have brought one, and for those who sat near someone who did

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Use common sense, don’t bring an infant to a rock concert. You got people smoking weed, cigs and almost always a knucklehead who is drunk and either pukes, gets in a fight or acts like a moron. Be a good parent and keep the baby at home. Stupid question if you ask me. Sorry to be so blunt.
    And those people aren't even the only risk. Every one of us, no matter how polite and sober we are, occasionally bump into the person next to us when rocking out at a show. It happens. It's not fair to anyone else around you to expect them to worry about you dropping your baby like it's a beer.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Go ahead and bring the baby. Eddie will turn the amps down and instruct everyone to red carpet you around the stadium. 
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    You also run the risk of other fans calling the police or child protective services or children and youth, etc.  The fact that you asked this on a public forum is worrisome.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    Congrats on getting & staying sober. Good job.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

to add another note to what I already said ... I took my 4 year old son to an NHL game this season, and I know its different from a concert but thought id mention it anyway. We had seats right at ice level, behind the net and beside the Zamboni entrance. My sons loves Zamboni's.

After the first period he wanted to know when we were going home.

We had a great time together but I think I will wait another couple years before we do that again.  

my 4 year old is a hockey nut.  Almost all day every day is something hockey.... watching highlights, organizing cards, video game, practicing on our rink, going to his practices, shooting around in the basement, etc....

I have taken him to several games, and about the end of the second period (sometimes into the 3rd) he has had enough and wants to go home.  
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    If they can’t verbalize (and understand what will be going on) an opinion on going, probably not a great idea. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100

This is what I observed at a PJ show; a 3-4 year boy started crying when the band came on stage and the lights went out and the crowd started screaming.  Before the night was done the kid was asleep in his dad's arms.

Don't do something just because you think your kid will think it is cool one day.  What is the point of experiencing something if you don't remember it???

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547

to add another note to what I already said ... I took my 4 year old son to an NHL game this season, and I know its different from a concert but thought id mention it anyway. We had seats right at ice level, behind the net and beside the Zamboni entrance. My sons loves Zamboni's.

After the first period he wanted to know when we were going home.

We had a great time together but I think I will wait another couple years before we do that again.  

What guy 4 or 44 or 84 doesnt love the Zamboni?

My dad loved them so much for his 70th birthday I arranged for him to ride and drive a Zamboni. He was happier then a pig in shite.
    And this was a man who had driven supercars, steam locomotives, jets, and other motorized things.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    dankind said:
    I live near Boston, and we have an amazing babysitter who will likely already be working these nights. I don't know about her experience with infants, but as the time gets closer and plans become more solidified, I can see if she or one of her friends can take your little one for the night. Just a thought.

I remember there being a lot of unruly drunks at the 2016 Fenway shows. Eddie Vedder even told folks on night two to grow the fuck up (paraphrasing) after the reports he received from Fenway security/fan services about night one. Not a place I'd personally want to bring my baby.

Maybe you can give it a few years and bring him to a show he'll remember. 

I can vouch for this guy. ^ He is a good guy.

You should consider taking him up on this but I wouldn't take the kid to the show. Too many things that could go wrong.

PS- congrats on your sobriety!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Great job on getting sober, that's awesome!

I was at Fenway and loved the dedication to you and your father...

Please leave the baby at home
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :rofl: hold him up like simba :rofl: 

I have not been next to an infant aged child at a rock concert at any location. And it would appear no one posting here has either......

I get where you're coming from. Why you want to. I'll keep my opinion to myself. But I do agree with they may charge you a ticket for your son. And I do agree with 2FR there are a lot of places families travel as families.

Congrats on your life not wasted :rock_on:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Took my son with my wife to see B52s and GoGos when he was 1 at Fraze in Kettering OH, outdoor small venue. Sat on blanket.  He could have cared less.
    took both my son and daughter when they were like 4 and 3 to see Rusted Root in Cincy, has ear protection, stood way to the side, very small venue, had fun, left early.
    Took both kids to last 3 hours of GOTR tour for Mumford and Sons when they were 5 and 4, stayed in back of the large football field, danced and had them on my shoulders, they munched on popcorn.  They still talk about it.
    I would not take either of them to see PJ until like 10 years or older at the minimum.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Father of five and I would never bring a kid that young to a concert. Leave the kid home or just catch pj the next time they tour. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Festivals are way different like some have stated they hung out on the outer perimeter away from all that could be harmful to the child , Fenway is a stadium it will be totally full their is no perimeters for you to hangout all the smoke and everything that goes along with a concert your child will be exposed too ...I hope you enjoy the shows 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,645
    edited January 2018

But how else are they going to get a tambourine..........................

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited January 2018
    You could definitely hear a crying baby over the music at a PJ show. I can hear other people singing next to me, so.... I would personally be fairly irritated and very uncomfortable if someone next to me had an infant with them. It would be extremely distracting for me and would greatly  lessen my enjoyment of the show. I don't think anyone should ever bring a baby to a rock concert. Yeah, certain exceptions like some festivals make more sense. That is totally different. Places where you can spread a blanket and sit on the grass or whatever, and, most importantly, where people aren't stuck next to you, is not comparable.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    A couple in ft Lauderdale next to us had a baby, like 8 months old I think.  It sucked.  I felt bad for the poor thing, and was pissed at the selfish parents the whole time.  It was super distracting to us and the rest of the folks in our row who would come back
    from the bar or bathroom and go into a tirade about the poor helpless baby being forced to deal with a super scary situation.  People were talking all kinds of shit and the baby looked scared out of its mind as the parents tried to pretend it was loving it.

i have a 16 month old little girl and will not be going to any of the shows this fall because she’s too young for it and I respect those around me.  For reference, I brought my 10 year old to Taylor Swift a few years ago.  10:ok.  16 months: no fucking way.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    In follow up to that thread, I'd like to know if anyone on here has actually taken a child less than 2 years old to a show, and if so, their experience?

No, I have not.

You also asked if people had sat near one.

No, I have not.

Congratulations on your sobriety.  Since you did not ask for opinions on taking the child I will not offer mine.
    Good luck.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I've been a public school teacher for over 20 years now and can tell some truly sad and nearly unfathomable stories about bad parenting.  Not surprised by this thread at all, just disappointed and disheartened to read that anyone would do this or even consider doing it.  Good parents always put their children first...bringing a small child/infant to a rock show is the antithesis of good parenting. Period.  I see no argument in which an infant benefits from attending a rock show. 
    Obviously can't stop you from bringing your infant, but if I saw you with your infant at the show, I wouldn't be shy in letting you know my opinion.  Find someone to watch your kid and go and enjoy the adult entertainment with other adults...adult language, adult activities etc.  No place for small children at all.  Wise up.  Can't believe anyone would even consider this.  Unreal.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    I've been a public school teacher for over 20 years now and can tell some truly sad and nearly unfathomable stories about bad parenting.  Not surprised by this thread at all, just disappointed and disheartened to read that anyone would do this or even consider doing it.  Good parents always put their children first...bringing a small child/infant to a rock show is the antithesis of good parenting. Period.  I see no argument in which an infant benefits from attending a rock show. 
    Obviously can't stop you from bringing your infant, but if I saw you with your infant at the show, I wouldn't be shy in letting you know my opinion.  Find someone to watch your kid and go and enjoy the adult entertainment with other adults...adult language, adult activities etc.  No place for small children at all.  Wise up.  Can't believe anyone would even consider this.  Unreal.

easy there... you gonna drive him back to drinkin'

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    As a parent, you have to make a lot of sacrifices and do what is best for the child.  This would be one of those sacrifices.
    Gorge
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    ah the judgers really come out in a thread like this! love it! 

basically follow this one rule:

-treat your situation like you would a drunk friend/spouse. if your child becomes agitated, are they being obnoxious and bothering everyone around them? take them home or leave the concert area until everything is fine. 

if someone says (as some did in the other thread) that your baby is killing their vibe cause they want to do drugs or get fucking loaded, fuck them. that's their problem. 

be courteous of those around you and make sure your baby is safe. use heavy duty ear protection, even outdoors. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Eroom21 said:

This is what I observed at a PJ show; a 3-4 year boy started crying when the band came on stage and the lights went out and the crowd started screaming.  Before the night was done the kid was asleep in his dad's arms.

Don't do something just because you think your kid will think it is cool one day.  What is the point of experiencing something if you don't remember it???

then by all means, do nothing with your children until they are 5. 

I'm guessing in this situation, being an infant, it has much less to do with "doing something cool" than it is having separation issues with the child. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    never took my infant to a big rock show, but an outdoor concert in my city when my daughter was 6 weeks old. at a public park. not very loud, we stood WELL back of the stage so noise wasn't even close to an issue. Difference is, no seats. public space so we could be as far away as we needed to be. daughter slept through the entire thing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,535
    I'd rather hold 2 beers than a baby.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    never took my infant to a big rock show, but an outdoor concert in my city when my daughter was 6 weeks old. at a public park. not very loud, we stood WELL back of the stage so noise wasn't even close to an issue. Difference is, no seats. public space so we could be as far away as we needed to be. daughter slept through the entire thing. 
    See, if this were the scenario we were talking about my response would have been different. Someone bringing a baby to an event in that kind of setting I think is fine. Bringing a baby to the cramped seats at Fenway for a Pearl Jam concert is something else entirely.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited January 2018
    stay off planes too, thx!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    See, if this were the scenario we were talking about my response would have been different. Someone bringing a baby to an event in that kind of setting I think is fine. Bringing a baby to the cramped seats at Fenway for a Pearl Jam concert is something else entirely.
    depends. lots of kids that age are nothing but a backpack a lot of the time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Please don't. I think anyone doing this is just being selfish and disrespectful with the child and everyone around him/her.
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Any opinions on cats?