Options

2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 920
    edited September 2019
    Not sure how people think the album/tour WON'T be about politics?

Now that Dimi is hinting at it, my best guess is that Pearl Jam put out "Can't Deny Me" (a song about POLITICS!) last year, a tour year, to whet our appetites a bit thinking they may have had something out by now. Somewhere along the line, shit got fucked somehow, and delayed that "forthcoming" album. I'm not sure people realize how much goes into an album, besides actually writing and recording the songs, most people think "oh it has to be mixed and then viola!" Wrong. Theres a LOT of discussion that goes into artist direction when it comes to album art and trying to represent the theme of the album. My best guess is that whenever the album became delayed, the band made an executive decision to hold off until the election year, as the content and theme of the album/tour may be extremely relevant. 

Do we remember the Missoula Poster controversy here last year? Politics. Half of us wanted it, the other half lost a little respect, and the MINOR few (which somehow turned into the major few) wanted it to flip it. Either way you look at, PJ may be trying their best to figure out how they are going to approach their new art piece (album). In a country where cities are going to war over whose left and whose right, and the rest of us are offended by each and every little thing, maybe the band needed a minute to just step back and say "ok. how the absolute fuck are we going to go about this?" And thats what all this down time has been. Also, for those of you that may not be as creatively inclined, it takes a LOT out of a person to write or create an artwork, no matter how old. 

I feel like with the flurry of activity lately, and based on the major hints Dimi has been dropping, we are bound to see some sort of album and tour shrouded in activism. 

Do I think they are going to play Bernies Campaign trail? No. 
    Do I think they are going to do a "Vote For Change" mega-tour w/ other Big names? No, but who knows honestly. 
    Do I think they are going to play the DNC? Probably not, but anything can happen. 

I think we are going to see the Pearl Jam we know and love, singing about what they stand for and what they believe in. The only thing that we can hope for at this point is that the music is good, so it can affirm why we love this damn band and come to this board almost everyday, and that the tour hits every city in the country so that we have more than enough opportunities to see our favorite guys live and in person. 
    Post edited by SandyRavage on
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    When I got in my car this morning I heard on WGN Radio here in Chicago that Pearl Jam will be playing Wrigley next season(2020).  No dates were given.  This was on Nick Digilio’s show shortly before 5am.  I’d prefer an arena show, but still excited if true.
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    mvw said:
    When I got in my car this morning I heard on WGN Radio here in Chicago that Pearl Jam will be playing Wrigley next season(2020).  No dates were given.  This was on Nick Digilio’s show shortly before 5am.  I’d prefer an arena show, but still excited if true.
    His twitter may blow up this morning. 
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,948
    He hopes they'll play, he thinks they'll play, or he knows they'll play?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    JimmyV said:
    I just listened. They say it pretty definitively at 2:52: https://wgnradio.com/2019/09/10/nick-digilio-9-10-19-tiff-2019-reviews-best-and-worst-tv-revivals-our-favorite-grunge-albums/ 

Thanks for reporting @mvw
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I just listened. They say it pretty definitively at 2:52: https://wgnradio.com/2019/09/10/nick-digilio-9-10-19-tiff-2019-reviews-best-and-worst-tv-revivals-our-favorite-grunge-albums/ 

Thanks for reporting @mvw
    Nice!

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509
    Wow, yeah, there's no debating that. They both were just like "yeah, wrigley next year"
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509
    But, can they PLEASE not play the weekend that kids go back to school? That would be great, mkay?

Seriously, lets get a late june or early august date this time.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 4,011
    mvw said:
    I just looked at the Cubs 2020 schedule.  The 2nd/3rd weeks of July have windows for shows as well as the 2nd week of August. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 785
    There’s no way... please play roofed arenas!
  • Options
    Deadman said:
    There’s no way... please play roofed arenas!
    Yeah, I can already see the Chicago forecast.  Ugh.  Was hoping they'd go back to the UC but doesnt look like it.
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,856
    Ohhh shit...here we go folks! 1 year and 8 months and we may finally have ourselves an actual rumor thread!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,853
    After Wrigley 2013...never again. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    Nice that there is a solid rumor, but kind of sucks for Chicago fans with no arena dates.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Was there for both Wrigley shows in 2018.  I'll be there rain or shine in 2020!

• Options
    Prague 2018 was phenomenal in part that it was an arena.  Even though a big place it still has a much better atmosphere than a stadium.  
  • Options
    JojoRice said:
    mvw said:
    I just looked at the Cubs 2020 schedule.  The 2nd/3rd weeks of July have windows for shows as well as the 2nd week of August. 

Books your Chicago hotel rooms now.  Based on 2016 and 2018 Saturday/Monday show scheduling.  Only 3 options (Based on Cubs home schedule):

July 11/13

July 25/27

August 8/10

Given the potential of European summer tour, the last tour seem most probable

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,848
    wbutler29 said:
    JojoRice said:
    mvw said:

Books your Chicago hotel rooms now.  Based on 2016 and 2018 Saturday/Monday show scheduling.  Only 3 options (Based on Cubs home schedule):

July 11/13

July 25/27

August 8/10

No way we get Europe next year. It fits the even year pattern but a full NA tour and Australia and Europe. Not likely imo. 
  • Options
    Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,561
    mvw said:
    Nice recon, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    wbutler29 said:
    JojoRice said:
    mvw said:

July 11/13

July 25/27

August 8/10

I hope its either July 11/13 or August 8/10

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I'm guessing the album tour will be stadiums in the bigger cities but arenas/amphitheaters in the smaller markets.  Stadiums will get announced first so they can sell (like festivals) and then arena shows will fill in.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Nice that there is a solid rumor, but kind of sucks for Chicago fans with no arena dates.
    This.  I'll go, of course, but was hoping to get away from the same formula of the last 5 shows here.  Assuming it is not an all stadium tour, gives me more reason to travel I guess.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,848
    I'm guessing the album tour will be stadiums in the bigger cities but arenas/amphitheaters in the smaller markets.  Stadiums will get announced first so they can sell (like festivals) and then arena shows will fill in.
    Maybe but they did 2016 the opposite and they sold out the ballparks with ease. Time will tell and hope someone that has an in with Fenway/Safeco/Wrigley can add any info to the rumours like last year. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    After Wrigley 2018, never again either.  The diminished concert experience just wasnt worth the money, travel, time off, etc.  
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    wbutler29 said:
    JojoRice said:
    mvw said:

July 11/13

July 25/27

August 8/10

Also, we are overdue for a summer US tour.  Just saying

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    Not sure how people think the album/tour WON'T be about politics?

Now that Dimi is hinting at it, my best guess is that Pearl Jam put out "Can't Deny Me" (a song about POLITICS!) last year, a tour year, to whet our appetites a bit thinking they may have had something out by now. Somewhere along the line, shit got fucked somehow, and delayed that "forthcoming" album. I'm not sure people realize how much goes into an album, besides actually writing and recording the songs, most people think "oh it has to be mixed and then viola!" Wrong. Theres a LOT of discussion that goes into artist direction when it comes to album art and trying to represent the theme of the album. My best guess is that whenever the album became delayed, the band made an executive decision to hold off until the election year, as the content and theme of the album/tour may be extremely relevant. 

Do we remember the Missoula Poster controversy here last year? Politics. Half of us wanted it, the other half lost a little respect, and the MINOR few (which somehow turned into the major few) wanted it to flip it. Either way you look at, PJ may be trying their best to figure out how they are going to approach their new art piece (album). In a country where cities are going to war over whose left and whose right, and the rest of us are offended by each and every little thing, maybe the band needed a minute to just step back and say "ok. how the absolute fuck are we going to go about this?" And thats what all this down time has been. Also, for those of you that may not be as creatively inclined, it takes a LOT out of a person to write or create an artwork, no matter how old. 

I feel like with the flurry of activity lately, and based on the major hints Dimi has been dropping, we are bound to see some sort of album and tour shrouded in activism. 

Do I think they are going to play Bernies Campaign trail? No. 
    Do I think they are going to do a "Vote For Change" mega-tour w/ other Big names? No, but who knows honestly. 
    Do I think they are going to play the DNC? Probably not, but anything can happen. 

I think we are going to see the Pearl Jam we know and love, singing about what they stand for and what they believe in. The only thing that we can hope for at this point is that the music is good, so it can affirm why we love this damn band and come to this board almost everyday, and that the tour hits every city in the country so that we have more than enough opportunities to see our favorite guys live and in person. 

We do have a little bit of info of what this time has been. They said in March last year the new record was forthcoming.

Then in Sept at Fenway Ed told us..in so many words... that they are enjoying the end of summer and looking forward to parenting type fun like dropping off the kids at their events and going to PTA meetings. And the NEXT time they get together will be in the studio. So it sounded then like in reality nothing was forthcoming and they would vanish from the public eye for awhile.

So we know they were enjoying their private lives a year ago after around 26 shows, something enjoyable and rewarding. It was a shame someone jumped the gun last March with a forthcoming announcement, but I'm thrilled we are here now with what looks to be a busy 2020 for PJ.

And yeah, knowing Ed and how divisive the right has become in American culture, they are going to contribute to the Change 2020 efforts. It has nothing to do with "politics." It has to do with wanting to make the country a better place for all.
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,376
    MayDay10 said:
    After Wrigley 2018, never again either.  The diminished concert experience just wasnt worth the money, travel, time off, etc.  
    Im happy I saw rain in the rain from miles away in 18, but id not do it again. Seats or im out. Id do fenway just because my number gets me nice and close.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    PJNB said:
    Maybe but they did 2016 the opposite and they sold out the ballparks with ease. Time will tell and hope someone that has an in with Fenway/Safeco/Wrigley can add any info to the rumours like last year. 
    Yeah, but the festivals/stadiums were still separate from the arena dates in 2016.  The tour ended in May, then some festivals and then Wrigley/Fenway in August.  I'm thinking that IF they do a full album tour, it would be something like

WRIGLEY
    Indy arena
    Cincy arena
    Pitt arena
    PHILLY - Citizens Bank Park

Just as an example of the layout that I was thinking.  I don't see them doing only baseball stadiums, but I can see the promoters pushing it in the bigger markets.  Who knows, I'm usually way off.
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    A full U.S. summer tour supporting a kickass new album would be the coolest thing they could do at this point.