Options

Terrorism Attack Lower Manhattan 8 Dead still developing

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    mcgruff10 said:
    KC138045 said:
    PP193448 said:
    Charlottesville driver should have not been taken alive.  Vegas shooter killed himself and saved us the trouble.  But let’s talk about the poor criminals rights while there are 8 people dead, whose rights were taken away by this guy... WTF.  So please tell me that if one of the victims was your family member, that you would be worried about his comfort in jail and cruel punishment.  Give me a break!!
    If we were a bit more like cyborgs and less human... we could remove our emotion from the equation and look at things for what they are.

8 people are dead. Why execute this man and have 9 people dead? Instead... let's teach him empathy and help him see the error in his way.
    This man is proud of what he did.  You really think life in a cell will change that?  He has lost his right to live and should be sentenced to death IMO
    life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death penalty is fine with me.  who tries this case: new york or the federal government?
    The Boston Marathon case was tried in Federal Court. I imagine this will be too.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,656
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    Did I wake up in Mexico? The Philippines? Chile under Pinochet? Russia under Stalin or Putin? Afghanistan under the Taliban? Where was this rhetoric for the Vegas shooter? Or the Charlottesville driver?
    He was already dead or it would be similar. At least from me.
    Charlottesville driver was dead? 
    Sorry, meant the Vegas guy. I would say the same for anyone arrogantly bragging about what they did and trying to draw more attention. I'm against death penalty, but if they live, then their should be no joy left for them or attention. Prison for life, no parole, hole in the ground cell.
    Brace yourself for the 'cruel and unusual' crowd hating your suggestion.

Make no mistake... the goof that ran these people over in New York needs death. You are correct- no internet, no cult fame, no laughs, no hot meals, etc.
    Reference to cruel and unusual punishment is made in the Constitution. I don’t think we should apply it only part of the time, and override it based on emotion. 
    Life in prison with no possibility of parole is now considered cruel or unusual punishment?
    That was more of a reaponse to thirty referencing the ‘cruel and unusual’ crowd. Although I’m not sure what a hole in the ground cell is about. I would say I’m more of a supporter of the Constitution crowd member. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    KC138045 said:
    PP193448 said:
    Charlottesville driver should have not been taken alive.  Vegas shooter killed himself and saved us the trouble.  But let’s talk about the poor criminals rights while there are 8 people dead, whose rights were taken away by this guy... WTF.  So please tell me that if one of the victims was your family member, that you would be worried about his comfort in jail and cruel punishment.  Give me a break!!
    If we were a bit more like cyborgs and less human... we could remove our emotion from the equation and look at things for what they are.

8 people are dead. Why execute this man and have 9 people dead? Instead... let's teach him empathy and help him see the error in his way.
    This man is proud of what he did.  You really think life in a cell will change that?  He has lost his right to live and should be sentenced to death IMO
    life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death penalty is fine with me.  who tries this case: new york or the federal government?
    The Boston Marathon case was tried in Federal Court. I imagine this will be too.
    yeah I definitely think you guys are right.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Yup, absolutely no difference in how our esteemed dear leader referred to and reacted to the two incidents, Vegas versus NYC. Read Trump's words as he refers to and answers questions regarding the incidents at the time or shortly thereafter occurring. Equal justice under the law? By Trump's reasoning, all white people should be held to account for the Vegas shooter. Maybe take their guns away?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/01/politics/trump-vegas-nyc/index.html

I think the last sentence in the article sums up any politician:

The broader point here: Trump is more than willing to seize on tragic events when they confirm his previous political and policy beliefs. He will effectively ignore them when they don't.
  • Options
    PP193448 said:
    I don’t think deciding whether to apply basic Constitutional rights should be based on a survey of people’s emotions. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    Did I wake up in Mexico? The Philippines? Chile under Pinochet? Russia under Stalin or Putin? Afghanistan under the Taliban? Where was this rhetoric for the Vegas shooter? Or the Charlottesville driver?
    Sorry, meant the Vegas guy. I would say the same for anyone arrogantly bragging about what they did and trying to draw more attention. I'm against death penalty, but if they live, then their should be no joy left for them or attention. Prison for life, no parole, hole in the ground cell.

Make no mistake... the goof that ran these people over in New York needs death. You are correct- no internet, no cult fame, no laughs, no hot meals, etc.
    Who here opposes life in prison without parole in maximum security?
    'Hole in the ground cell' was the term I thought might upset a few concerned people.
    Oh. I didn't think you meant it literally.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Isn't it too soon to talk about this?
    I mean, if this was a white guy with a gun, it would surely be too soon.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Reference to cruel and unusual punishment is made in the Constitution. I don’t think we should apply it only part of the time, and override it based on emotion. 
    Life in prison with no possibility of parole is now considered cruel or unusual punishment?
    That was more of a reaponse to thirty referencing the ‘cruel and unusual’ crowd. Although I’m not sure what a hole in the ground cell is about. I would say I’m more of a supporter of the Constitution crowd member. 
    Solitary confinement aka "the hole".
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    rgambs said:
    No because obviously we're the laughing stock of the world with how we handle these situations, at least according to Donnie Darko.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    No because obviously we're the laughing stock of the world with how we handle these situations, at least according to Donnie Darko.
    Well after what he said today, he ain't wrong. His response is laughable.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mcgruff10 said:

Funny how some of the loudest voices in defense of the 2nd Amendment forget about the rest of the constitution when their emotions take over. What was that about "feelings" again?
    I believe some of us were using sarcasm when describing punishments but I don't believe anybody forgot about the constitution.
    Your constitution allows for summary execution without trial?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yup, absolutely no difference in how our esteemed dear leader referred to and reacted to the two incidents, Vegas versus NYC. Read Trump's words as he refers to and answers questions regarding the incidents at the time or shortly thereafter occurring. Equal justice under the law? By Trump's reasoning, all white people should be held to account for the Vegas shooter. Maybe take their guns away?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/01/politics/trump-vegas-nyc/index.html

I think the last sentence in the article sums up any politician:

The broader point here: Trump is more than willing to seize on tragic events when they confirm his previous political and policy beliefs. He will effectively ignore them when they don't.
    Sorry, but no.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    You're totally right. People would be so mad that it's being politicized already while the families grieve. We've seen it again and again. It is beyond clear that the attacker being white makes all the difference in the world. I really don't think that can logically be up for debate.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    You're totally right. People would be so mad that it's being politicized already while the families grieve. We've seen it again and again. It is beyond clear that the attacker being white makes all the difference in the world. I really don't think that can logically be up for debate.
    I think you guys are completely wrong about that but to each their own.  I don't understand why you guys make this comparison.  Who on here says it is too early to talk about things because a person is white?? I think the outrage is the same. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I think you guys are completely wrong about that but to each their own.  I don't understand why you guys make this comparison.  Who on here says it is too early to talk about things because a person is white?? I think the outrage is the same. 
    Go back and read the Vegas thread.
    There was all kinds of "too soon" talk.

None in this thread.
    If you think there isn't some xenophobia/racism involved in that difference, Christie's got a bridge to sell ya, but the traffic's pretty bad!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

None in this thread.
    If you think there isn't some xenophobia/racism involved in that difference, Christie's got a bridge to sell ya, but the traffic's pretty bad!
    Agreed (but also I was actually speaking generally, not only about this board).
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

None in this thread.
    So what about this specific case do you still doubt?
    christie lol....two more months. 
  • Options
    Just saw this on twitter:

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,558
    2 days after the Las Vegas Mass Shooting by a white Christian male in which 59 people were killed by automatic weapons bought legally in the U.S. herr dRumpf said it was to early to discuss policy or politics about the mass shooting and or gun control.

15 hours after the terrorist  attack in NYC by a young muslim male from Uzbekistan in which 8 people were killed herr dRumpf was politicizing the event by trying to blame Senator Schumer and th visa lottery that allowed the perpetrator to legally immigrate to America.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:

Try saying that name fast 3 times.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Try saying that name fast 3 times.
    Lol. Impossible. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Radical muslims hang them , white driver runs over peaceful protester well he must be deranged terrible up bringin , white guy kills 58 americans you don't hear a single thing about him now when did that happen again ?
    Come on, man.

You think people here soften their stances on punishment if the offender is white? Get serious.

The Vegas guy was dead- no need to wish him alive... and people more than adequately expressed how vile he was. And people were talking about punching nazis before that idiot ran over those people in Virginia... and they were seething after the incident.

Thanks for pointing out what a dumb thing to post I agree I should of read it before hitting post comment ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    2 days after the Las Vegas Mass Shooting by a white Christian male in which 59 people were killed by automatic weapons bought legally in the U.S. herr dRumpf said it was to early to discuss policy or politics about the mass shooting and or gun control.

15 hours after the terrorist  attack in NYC by a young muslim male from Uzbekistan in which 8 people were killed herr dRumpf was politicizing the event by trying to blame Senator Schumer and th visa lottery that allowed the perpetrator to legally immigrate to America.
    I don't think it s a white guy vs Muslim issue: one fits his agenda and the other doesn't. 

However on the flip side democrats quickly used vegas as a means to attempt to pass gun control but I haven't seen any democrats talk about limiting immigration/tightening our borders since yesterday. 
    It works both ways. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Speaking of politicizing this issue...

You and RG are using this example to highlight causes that aren't even relevant to random people being murdered by some raving, brainwashed, f**king lunatic- with an all too familiar tactic. 

You think race is a factor in how we respond to events such as these? If this idiot was white we'd be more okay with it?

Let's be clear about something: in the event the Vegas shooter had been a devout Christian with an extensive background in Christian activism... and Christians throughout the world were repeatedly murdering unsuspecting people in horrifying fashion... you could bet your bottom dollar these boards would be lighting up Christianity with very minimal tolerance.

And for the record, the Vegas thread was boiling over with political tension from the outset.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

None in this thread.
    So what about this specific case do you still doubt?
    christie lol....two more months. 
    It's not a question of doubt, it's just a question of reaction.
    The hypocrisy of the right's reaction is clear.
  • Options
    Radical muslims hang them , white driver runs over peaceful protester well he must be deranged terrible up bringin , white guy kills 58 americans you don't hear a single thing about him now when did that happen again ?
    Come on, man.

You think people here soften their stances on punishment if the offender is white? Get serious.

The Vegas guy was dead- no need to wish him alive... and people more than adequately expressed how vile he was. And people were talking about punching nazis before that idiot ran over those people in Virginia... and they were seething after the incident.

Thanks for pointing out what a dumb thing to post I agree I should of read it before hitting post comment ....

All is good, man. In my mind you're one of the good guys.

I'm guilty of speaking passionately before thinking as hard as I might too.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't think it s a white guy vs Muslim issue: one fits his agenda and the other doesn't. 

However on the flip side democrats quickly used vegas as a means to attempt to pass gun control but I haven't seen any democrats talk about limiting immigration/tightening our borders since yesterday. 
    It works both ways. 
    Not really equivalent, Democrats aren't saying "too soon".
  • Options
    edited November 2017

PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Speaking of politicizing this issue...

You and RG are using this example to highlight causes that aren't even relevant to random people being murdered by some raving, brainwashed, f**king lunatic- with an all too familiar tactic. 

You think race is a factor in how we respond to events such as these? If this idiot was white we'd be more okay with it?

Let's be clear about something: in the event the Vegas shooter had been a devout Christian with an extensive background in Christian activism... and Christians throughout the world were repeatedly murdering unsuspecting people in horrifying fashion... you could bet your bottom dollar these boards would be lighting up Christianity with very minimal tolerance.

And for the record, the Vegas thread was boiling over with political tension from the outset.
    I wasn't actually criticizing politicizing it. I was criticizing not politicizing it, lol. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest such events shouldn't be politicized immediately. the point is that everyone seems a lot more willing to politicize it when it's a Muslim, and much less willing to do so when it's a white guy (again, I'm speaking generally, not just about people on this board).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    mcgruff10 said:

It works both ways. 
    Both issues fit into trump’s agenda: white male Americans good, brown people bad and/or less than. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

It works both ways. 
    Both issues fit into trump’s agenda: white male Americans good, brown people bad and/or less than. 
    so what have democrats suggested or done to try and fix the problem?  we can bash trump all we want but democrats are equal to blame.  
This discussion has been closed.