Options

The Confederacy - Erasing History

Comments

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,634
    JC29856 said:
    Free at last, free at last, thank god almighty that you're free at last not to watch ESPN.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,640
    tbergs said:
    This is a really well written and thoughtful piece.  Thanks for sharing it.  This paragraph here is what I've been pining about... when the statues when up, it wasn't about the soldiers or the sacrifice, by and large.  It was pushing out the last bit of Reconstruction and solidifying the South politically and culturally.  

Black people have always known better. Black people were around when the statues started coming up—and some of those people are still around today. And they know the truth: Confederate statues were built in waves that corresponded to the creation of the “Solid South” and backlashes against black political power. The Nash County monument was part of the beginning of the second wave, built two years after the rise of the Second Ku Klux Klan and during a period of intensifying race riots and lynchings nationwide. As Jim Crow sub-citizens, black folks could not vote to stop the onslaught of the granite memorials, and they faced cross-burnings and lynchings for daring to speak out against the projects.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, let's try this again.  Here's the problem I have with this whole tearing down monuments and statues things.  What I'm hearing is that a bunch of people from another culture (yes, us Yankees and Westerners and Canadians and whatnot are of another culture) want to go in and tell Southerners what they should do to eradicate their past.  Now that might not be a bad thing if the intention is to eradicate the seething evil of racism that lies underneath what those monuments and statues stand for but does anyone think for one minute that going down there and saying, "Fuck you, we're tearing your shit down," is going to change anyone's mind about the underlying illness of racism?  Come on, really?

What if someone came up to you and took something you value and replace it with what you think is right- is that going to go down well with you?  No, seriously, think about it.  And yeah, OK, erroneously you think this thing is cool but it's not but is some outsider beating down your door and telling you you're full of shit going to change your mind about JACK? 

Let's use some sense here.  This is not how you change shit.  It never works.  It's like many years ago when I was pissing my life away on alcohol and bad living habits and my folks were giving me shit for it.  Hey, guess what, did that set me straight?  How do you suppose I reacted to that? Yeah, I drank more.  Groovy.

NOT!
    again, Brian, no one is saying "eradicate your past". Keep the statues as historical reminders in a museum or something of the like. we're saying it's not cool to have statues of men that fought a war, among other things, to preserve their right to ENSLAVE AND OWN BLACK PEOPLE. statues are there to celebrate these people. should they be celebrated? imagine being a black person in the south and having to walk past that statue every single day on your way to work. how do you think that would feel?

as a WHITE CANADIAN it would disgust me. it still blows my mind that the Dukes of Hazzard had a car with the rebel flag and it was called the General Lee. Back when I watched it, I had zero idea what that meant. Friends of mine had rebel flag back patches on their jean jackets. None of us knew. It's quite surprising no adults seemed to have any issue with it back then. 

no one truly believes that tearing down statues is going to eradicate racism, or even put a dent in it. but it does show future generations that past mistakes are not to be celebrated, but learned from. 

I agree!  If I were black dude and had to walk past a Gen. Lee statue I would hate it.  Yes, let's put them in museums.

OK, now to try again to explain my argument (and at this point I have to plead ineptness and stupidity because apparently I totally suck at explaining myself.  Hey, I'm my own worst critic.  I can deal!) 

Here's an example of what I mean:    I walk by an effigy of a hanged outlaw on Main Street in Placverville, California every time I go to work.  The nickname for Placerville is "Hangtown".  I hate that.  It offends me.  I would rather we had the nickname that my daughter-in-law came up with: "Heart of the Gold Country".  Sweet! 

So what should I do?  Demand that the fuckers that like having a representation of a man dying a gruesome death by choking with a rope around his neck (barbaric!) as something that represents who we are as a town?  That won't fly.  Sneak in at night and cut him down?  I would get caught and end up in jail.  Can't do any good there.  Tell the people who like having the hanged man up there that they are stupid ignorant fools?  Not going to help! 

No, here's what I do.  EVERY single time I walk by that dude and see a tourist taking a picture of him I look up, point to him and say, "Someday, Hanged Man, you will be free!"  You should see the look on peoples faces.  They stop.  They think. 

This may not be everybody's  way and I'm not suggesting all of you or any one of you in particular says nasty things to Southerners, but I do get a lot of hateful vibe here at times (I'm not looking at anyone) and I'm suggesting an alternative to going in and telling people what to do.

Is it a weak solution?  Maybe.  Is it worth at least considering?  I don't know.  Maybe no one sees what I'm getting at.  
    I can't say I find your story comparable in any case Brian, but just wanted to mention that nobody is actually "telling people what to do" when they remove these stupid monuments to pro-slavery generals, unless they are forcing them to be removed from private property. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,750
    I have failed to express myself clearly. Now there is no freakin' way they'll ever put up a statue of me.Whhhhaaaaaaaaaaughhhhhhhhhhhh!

Maybe I should join the Hanged Man.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I think you have expressed yourself clearly Brian.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    brianlux said:
    I have failed to express myself clearly. Now there is no freakin' way they'll ever put up a statue of me.Whhhhaaaaaaaaaaughhhhhhhhhhhh!

I get it Brian, I think?

The same way we go to Salem where they burned people at the stake.
    We go to Auschwitz where they murdered millions and take selfies.
    We visit Ground Zero where the worst attack on US soil occurred.
    We visit Gettysburg, the Arizona, Jack the Ripper...

We choose what is perverse and what is just.

I think that's what you mean?

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,640
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

This is different to me.  We go to this places to remember and understand,  not to revere. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

No, but that's a good point to. 

My basic premise is that if we want to change something that we don't agree with, especially when it is something generally accepted in another locale or culture, educating and leading by example will probably make better headway than telling people they suck.  Not that anyone specifically has done that here, but this a gross generalization of what I'm reading and hearing all over the news, internet, etc.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,899
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

yeah but we don't go to auschwitz and see statues of himmler/hitler
    we don't go to ground zero and walk around and see statues or flags of the fuckers from Al Qaeda
    arizona...I don't remember seeing any sort of statue for japanese soldiers
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

This is different to me.  We go to this places to remember and understand,  not to revere. 
    Revere-Deep respect or admiration for.

A few I listed would fall into that definition and some definitely not.

The recent confederate stories would too.  Those same statues a year ago would not.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

yeah but we don't go to auschwitz and see statues of himmler/hitler
    we don't go to ground zero and walk around and see statues or flags of the fuckers from Al Qaeda
    arizona...I don't remember seeing any sort of statue for japanese soldiers
    This is going along the question that Brian asked which O think we are all missing.
  • Options
    America has gone mad.
    Up here we have 3 or 4 guys protest a statue and they are told to go home.  And they do. I remember that day, what nightmare.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

My basic premise is that if we want to change something that we don't agree with, especially when it is something generally accepted in another locale or culture, educating and leading by example will probably make better headway than telling people they suck.  Not that anyone specifically has done that here, but this a gross generalization of what I'm reading and hearing all over the news, internet, etc.
    That is what I understood you to be saying.... I just feel like educating and leading by example doesn't appear to work in America, in this context. If anything, such efforts have the opposite effect; it seems to have caused people to double down and almost willingly increase their ignorance. That is why I think these recent more forceful and in-your-face oppositional methods may be the best course of action at this point.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

That is what I understood you to be saying.... I just feel like educating and leading by example doesn't appear to work in America, in this context. If anything, such efforts have the opposite effect; it seems to have caused people to double down and almost willingly increase their ignorance. That is why I think these recent more forceful and in-your-face oppositional methods may be the best course of action at this point.
    I honestly wouldn't know anymore, PJ_S.  We don't do much of that in this country anymore.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

I get what you're saying now Brian.

In Faroe islands they hunt whales there every year as part of their culture.  The Sea Shepherds were there to tell the people of Norway that "they are wrong, and you shouldn't do this".  The Shepherds continually harass the locals and try and stop them from killing the pilot whales.
    The Faroes people care not to hear what the Shepherds have to say and have passed laws to imprison them or anyone else that disagrees with the whaling.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

In Faroe islands they hunt whales there every year as part of their culture.  The Sea Shepherds were there to tell the people of Norway that "they are wrong, and you shouldn't do this".  The Shepherds continually harass the locals and try and stop them from killing the pilot whales.
    The Faroes people care not to hear what the Shepherds have to say and have passed laws to imprison them or anyone else that disagrees with the whaling.
    I see what your saying but the difference is, what Sea Shepherds does is enforce international laws pertaining to the killing of protected marine species.  That is why, when they scuttled half the Iceland whaling fleet in an Icelandic harbor and Captain Paul Watson went there and said, "Arrest me", not only did they not arrest him, they gave him airfare to get the hell out of Iceland because they knew Sea Shepherd was in their legal right to halt the whaling.  Statues are not illegal.  If we want to go that approach, we have to outlaw statues of Confederate figures.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

The other thing that comes to my mind, CK, is the fallacy in Norway's thinking.  Whales migrate, they don't belong to Norway.

Off topic, a bit but OMG, I get riled when I think about these countries that kill whales and marine mammals.  Makes my blood boil!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

The other thing that comes to my mind, CK, is the fallacy in Norway's thinking.  Whales migrate, they don't belong to Norway.

Off topic, a bit but OMG, I get riled when I think about these countries that kill whales and marine mammals.  Makes my blood boil!
    Brian I've never looked at it that way!  Wow!
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

Brian I've never looked at it that way!  Wow!
    Well, I'm just a whale lovin' fool!  :lol:

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

I am definitely not arguing for whaling (ever), but that argument applies to much of the capture fishery, too. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

I am definitely not arguing for whaling (ever), but that argument applies to much of the capture fishery, too. 
    So true.  Another reason I'm behind Sea Shepherds.  They've pulled in literally miles of illegal drift netting.  On a personal note, I abstain from eating anything that comes out of the ocean other than a bit of sea vegetable now and then.  It would be so beneficial if the whole world voluntarily put a moratorium on ocean fishing!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I get it Brian, I think?

So true.  Another reason I'm behind Sea Shepherds.  They've pulled in literally miles of illegal drift netting.  On a personal note, I abstain from eating anything that comes out of the ocean other than a bit of sea vegetable now and then.  It would be so beneficial if the whole world voluntarily put a moratorium on ocean fishing!
    I'm starting a new thread!
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    The problem here is people are equating statues to history. Taking down there statues do not erase the facts of history .  It will never erase the fact that the south fought a war against its own country in order to keep slavery legal. But if you want to get real technical, it was to ensure they could keep HUMAN BEINGS AS PROPERTY. Nothing can erase that. 

There is no way to do this without a fight. People will get butt hurt. The funny part is that most of these people that are against taking them down probably never go out of their way to "honor" these people. Just with the confederate flag being removed from the state house. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that less than 50 people in the last 30 years actually went to Columbia for the sole purpose of saluting the confederate flag.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I just saw an interview with a southern man saying he didn't consider the statues and flags symbols of racism and it was unfair for people to claim that he did because they don't know what he feels.  Then he goes to make an allusion to something named after MLK JR and, oops, calls it Martin Luther Coon...stammer stammer stutter, interview over.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    rgambs said:
    I just saw an interview with a southern man saying he didn't consider the statues and flags symbols of racism and it was unfair for people to claim that he did because they don't know what he feels.  Then he goes to make an allusion to something named after MLK JR and, oops, calls it Martin Luther Coon...stammer stammer stutter, interview over.
    he probably made the cast 105 years ago
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Oh my!!!!

Please find the link to that!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Hundred bucks says it was a deliberate faux pas.

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    It most certainly was intentional. He tries to say under his breath "I probably shouldn't have said that." I saw it on facebook.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    It most certainly was intentional. He tries to say under his breath "I probably shouldn't have said that." I saw it on facebook.
    Trap door fall!

• Options
    rgambs said:

Which station were you watching?