The Food Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Did you watch any of the show?  
    He is a dick a number of times....he owns it and even says he is sorry but I agree.

I don’t know what show you guys are talking about. I have heard him on a number of podcasts and he seemed fine. His food is awesome though and serpico (Chang apprentice) is one of my favorite restaurants in Philly. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Cottage cheese and grapes?  The whole thing looks like a fantastic morning start.  I may go the oatmeal route myself (though I'm guessing yours isn't the Quaker instant kind).
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Yeah I liked Serpico when we ate there
    Ugly Delicious is the show, on Netflix.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    Can't stand David Chang.  For one, I think avant-garde cuisine is utter uppity bullshit and two, he acts like he's the only chef in the fucking world.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    I don't dislike his show I just didn't love some of the things he said.  Seems like he has some resentment towards others to deal with.
    Enjoying the show.
    As far as new and unusual cuisine....I love it.
    Jose Andres meals are some of the best / most fun I've ever had eating a meal

Hell to the yeah!  I'll take this kind of uppity any day.  Nothing I'd usually order, but the entire meal at Bazaar (not to mention my partners in culinary indulgences) was fucking awesome =)

Dammit, Dyer!  I laughed at that.

It was cotton candy foie gras and dee-lish.
    I was actually going to guess that whatever it was, was probably meat flavored in the form of cotton candy.  Fuckin avant-garde. :weary:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    Lunchmeat salad. WOO!

chinese-happy.jpg
    I was actually going to guess that whatever it was, was probably meat flavored in the form of cotton candy.  Fuckin avant-garde. :weary:
    And so.....amazingly....delicious! 
    I get why many do not like.  I love it.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sorry but liver flavored cotton candy is a disaster of an idea and it can't possibly taste any better than liver flavored cotton candy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    It is not flavored...they take a chilled piece of foie gras, roll it in corn nuts, and then make cotton candy around it.
    I get it if people don't like the idea of foie gras or new age approaches to eating, but I promise you that was some really amazing tasting stuff.

As far as liver goes...I have had some great liver samplings.  Unlike the majority of people, I enjoy many preparations of different types of liver.
    I'm not hating on liver, it's not my favorite but I get why people like it.  
    It's the deconstruction and silly stuff that doesn't do it for me.  I don't want Wagyu beef ground up and served as a shot, I don't want liver cotton candy, I don't want any delicious food served as a foam or a vapor.  That stuff all has the appearance and feel of cover to hide the fact that you can't make a simple dish perfectly, IMO.
    What is a corn nut?
    rgambs said:
    It's the deconstruction and silly stuff that doesn't do it for me.  I don't want Wagyu beef ground up and served as a shot, I don't want liver cotton candy, I don't want any delicious food served as a foam or a vapor.  That stuff all has the appearance and feel of cover to hide the fact that you can't make a simple dish perfectly, IMO.
    What is a corn nut?
    https://youtu.be/j0YdqFPbSpc
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2018

I SAW PEARL JAM
    I don't do it often, but it's fun as hell to try something I otherwise wouldn't consider eating.

This typically occurs when F Me is in town =)

Since the bride hasnt hasn’t been able to have her favorite breakfast for a while, a little smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese, red onion and capers. Also a bloody and some lapsang
    Nice, Cliffy!

Yes....Hedo and I (and a few others connected here) like to eat adventurously when I'm in LA.

I understand Gambsby.  No worries, if you don't go our reservations will be easier.  ;)

The bagels look fantastic!  Minus the capers (not a fan).  I like the onions under the lox too; will try that next time.
    rgambs said:
    What is a corn nut?
    A-fucking-men!

So what is a corn nut?
    rgambs said:
    So what is a corn nut?
    You can buy them at a Snappy Snack Shack. The BQ are killer. 

You could also always pop a ham and cheese in the microwave and feast on a turbo dog.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    rgambs said:
    So what is a corn nut?
    Deep fried corn kernels, usually flavored.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited March 2018
    Plain corn nuts are delicious, really just because of the texture. It's one of the crunchiest foods out there .... not great for your teeth. Actually, name brand Corn Nuts are too oily for me. I prefer the non-name brand kind. They tend to be crunchier because they aren't saturated in too much oil. I don't care for the flavoured ones either. Just salted is best.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    My boy was in his play kitchen whipping me up some lunch yesterday, and I was in the other room waiting to be served, and I heard him say, "all done? No, put hot sauce on it"
    Talk about a proud Papa!
    Ha!
    I got a plate last week with a fried chicken omelette from the little guys kitchen.  
    Wished it was real.
    rgambs said:
    My boy was in his play kitchen whipping me up some lunch yesterday, and I was in the other room waiting to be served, and I heard him say, "all done? No, put hot sauce on it"
    Talk about a proud Papa!
    :lol: That's awesome!!

By the way, I got a bottle of The Last Dab reaper edition yesterday.  They ran out of Pepper X peppers so, while they're growing more, they had to make a batch with Carolina reapers. Other than the peppers, it's the exact same recipe. Gonna try it out tomorrow at wing night.
    rgambs said:
    Talk about a proud Papa!

By the way, I got a bottle of The Last Dab reaper edition yesterday.  They ran out of Pepper X peppers so, while they're growing more, they had to make a batch with Carolina reapers. Other than the peppers, it's the exact same recipe. Gonna try it out tomorrow at wing night.
    Do you buy a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner with every bottle of The Last Dab?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    Talk about a proud Papa!

Do you buy a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner with every bottle of The Last Dab?
    A box of Clorox wands refills.