The Pizza Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Two of the pies....they were all pretty good

Question?!?

Pizzas are meant to be cooked in ovens that go 7-900 degrees.

Do you notice a taste difference by cooking them at a lower heat setting?
    Yes, there is a big difference, imo.
    The recipes you read will generally advise cooking at 400 or 425 at home.
    Fuck that, I cook at 550, since that is the highest my oven will go to.
    It is something different with the crust.

Another reason I want to get this bad-boy.  I can cook to that temp, although it is over-the-top instead of an oven setting.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Two of the pies....they were all pretty good

Question?!?

Pizzas are meant to be cooked in ovens that go 7-900 degrees.

Do you notice a taste difference by cooking them at a lower heat setting?
    Yes, there is a big difference, imo.
    The recipes you read will generally advise cooking at 400 or 425 at home.
    Fuck that, I cook at 550, since that is the highest my oven will go to.
    It is something different with the crust.

Another reason I want to get this bad-boy.  I can cook to that temp, although it is over-the-top instead of an oven setting.

Hot damn that's cool!

So they best steaks I ever cooked were made from using a homemade grill.  We cut a stainless steel argon bottle in half and made a grill out of it.  It was just big enough to fit two decent sized steaks on it.  Cooked them quick and held the heat in.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Almost $1,200 bucks, which is why I did not buy it (yet)

Being in New York, you may be familiar with Pat LaFrieda.  His shit is amazing.  I had access to his whole, organic, chickens for a while.  I really am sad that I no longer have access to buying.  His damn chickens are even great - and he is a steak guy!
    There is a difference in how the animals are raised and butchered.  I would put a good bird against a grocery (even a Whole Foods) bird every day of the week and would venture to say that with over 90% accuracy I could tell you which was which, upon tasting.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Almost $1,200 bucks, which is why I did not buy it (yet)

Being in New York, you may be familiar with Pat LaFrieda.  His shit is amazing.  I had access to his whole, organic, chickens for a while.  I really am sad that I no longer have access to buying.  His damn chickens are even great - and he is a steak guy!
    There is a difference in how the animals are raised and butchered.  I would put a good bird against a grocery (even a Whole Foods) bird every day of the week and would venture to say that with over 90% accuracy I could tell you which was which, upon tasting.
    I could absolutely tell the difference, it helps when you raise your own meat birds lol

The thing is though, most people would prefer the factory birds because they are accustomed to the injected saline solution and the unnatural tenderness that comes from that and the 7-8 week butchering age.
    A laying hen is still barely more than a chick at that age.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    F Me, you should build a clay oven in the backyard! 
    Would be well less than half the price and would be entirely analog lol

Here's a good in-depth DIY to do it right, but it's obviously easily tweaked.
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/buliding-an-outdoor-oven-zm0z17amz
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    are you guys familiar with the “crunchy” pepperoni I was talking about? if so, would you say that’s a function of the pepperoni itself or the thickness it’s cut in or the way it’s cooked? I love that stuff but it’s rare to find. my favorite pizza place in ohio does nothing but crunchy pepperoni.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Interesting idea!
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Wobbie said:
    are you guys familiar with the “crunchy” pepperoni I was talking about? if so, would you say that’s a function of the pepperoni itself or the thickness it’s cut in or the way it’s cooked? I love that stuff but it’s rare to find. my favorite pizza place in ohio does nothing but crunchy pepperoni.

Probably thickness of the pepperoni and the temp it’s cooked at. I agree though. Crispy pepperoni is the best. 
    Wobbie said:

Agree with bbiggs.  High temp and the right cut on the 'roni is likely what makes this happen. 
    That looks delicious
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I love that cut of pepperoni!

And I know we all have our differences over New York, Chicago, Detroit, pineapple, other non-traditional toppings, Brooklyn water :weary:  etc, but can we at least all agree that people & places who use diced pepperoni are just THE ABSOLUTE WORST??!!
    I love that cut of pepperoni!

And I know we all have our differences over New York, Chicago, Detroit, pineapple, other non-traditional toppings, Brooklyn water :weary:  etc, but can we at least all agree that people & places who use diced pepperoni are just THE ABSOLUTE WORST??!!
    Is that really a thing?  I've never heard of that?!?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    What the hell is diced pepperoni?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

are you familar with veg-all? it’s like the carrots in veg-all.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mcgruff10 said:
    A god damned travesty is what it is.
    Wobbie said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This shit?
    Image result for veg-all
    Wobbie said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This shit?
    Image result for veg-all
    Yep. 

This stuff was common on the super cheap generic frozen pizzas, but I have seen it used in restaurants more and more in recent years.  I guess it has a use in, say pizza dip, but on an actual pie?  Fuck no you better be giving me the slice!
    Wobbie said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This shit?
    Image result for veg-all
    Yep. 

This stuff was common on the super cheap generic frozen pizzas, but I have seen it used in restaurants more and more in recent years.  I guess it has a use in, say pizza dip, but on an actual pie?  Fuck no you better be giving me the slice!
    wtf?  I never heard of either of them.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2018
    Wobbie said:
    I didn’t choose the toppings, but these were pretty good pies.

I've seen (and endorse) 'extra cheese', but I've never seen anyone order 'extra black olives' or 'extra green peppers'.

So... I guess I'm saying, "You're weird."

(pizzas don't look too bad to be honest)
    Mmm, all those extra black olives look good! Usually there aren't nearly enough for me.
    The only problematic "extra" I've ever had is with jalapenos. I like spicy, and usually my pizza place just doesn't put enough hot peppers - I was getting maybe two or three per slice. So I assumed asking for "double jalapenos" would make it about 5 or 6 peppers per slice. Well I guess the bastards at the pizza place decided to have a little laugh at my expense, because there were probably 40 sliced jalapenos on every single slice. :lol: The juices from them saturated the entire pizza, rendering the entire thing completely inedible, even after I picked most of the peppers off of it. It pissed me off!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Wobbie said:

Yeah, I love the crunchy pepperoni - I wish everyone did it that way! I'm also big on the crispy capocollo on top of everything. Hardly anyone uses it like that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wobbie said:

I've seen (and endorse) 'extra cheese', but I've never seen anyone order 'extra black olives' or 'extra green peppers'.

Mmm, all those extra black olives look good! Usually there aren't nearly enough for me.
    The only problematic "extra" I've ever had is with jalapenos. I like spicy, and usually my pizza place just doesn't put enough hot peppers - I was getting maybe two or three per slice. So I assumed asking for "double jalapenos" would make it about 5 or 6 peppers per slice. Well I guess the bastards at the pizza place decided to have a little laugh at my expense, because there were probably 40 sliced jalapenos on every single slice. :lol: The juices from them saturated the entire pizza, rendering the entire thing completely inedible, even after I picked most of the peppers off of it. It pissed me off!

Roll with a bottle of your favorite salsa picante. 
    A good one (with your personal preference of heat) is a good add to most pies.
    Totino’s might use the diced stuff. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wobbie said:

My reflux acted up just reading that lol
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wobbie said:

My reflux acted up just reading that lol
    Zantac is a hell of a drug, lol.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    Wobbie said:

I can totally picture it- including the disappointment when you determined that the pie was inedible.

You wait 45 minutes for the pizza. You begin salivating the moment it arrived. You paid. You sat down. Aaaand... yah... disappointment.

You begin peering into the fridge and the cupboards, but whatever you choose to take the place of the pizza you were anticipating... it's far from adequate.

Just a freaking piss off.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wobbie said:

I can totally picture it- including the disappointment when you determined that the pie was inedible.

You wait 45 minutes for the pizza. You begin salivating the moment it arrived. You paid. You sat down. Aaaand... yah... disappointment.

You begin peering into the fridge and the cupboards, but whatever you choose to take the place of the pizza you were anticipating... it's far from adequate.

Totally, and I didn't feel like I could call them and complain and get a new pizza because 1) I DID ask for extra jalapenos, and that's exactly what they gave me, lol, and 2) I don't like spit or snot pizzas. You never know.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wobbie said:

Totally, and I didn't feel like I could call them and complain and get a new pizza because 1) I DID ask for extra jalapenos, and that's exactly what they gave me, lol, and 2) I don't like spit or snot pizzas. You never know.
    You get it! Some people don't.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    When I worked at McD's in college, we'd have people order "extra extra" toppings on some sandwiches.  That usaully constituted us taking the crown of the bun, punching the inside until it made a small bread bowl and filling it with whatever topping they asked for.  Most of the time this was onions, sometimes tartar on a fish sandwich.  They said "extra extra,"  they got extra extra.
    When I worked at McD's in college, we'd have people order "extra extra" toppings on some sandwiches.  That usaully constituted us taking the crown of the bun, punching the inside until it made a small bread bowl and filling it with whatever topping they asked for.  Most of the time this was onions, sometimes tartar on a fish sandwich.  They said "extra extra,"  they got extra extra.
    That story ended so much better than I thought it was going to end.

Thank you.

:lol:
    edited June 2018
    Haha, yeah I never fucked with anyone's food in any gross type of way.  I mean, they're already eating McDonald's, that's enough suffering as is. :lol: That and I swore an oath to food safety, and it's just the right thing to do.
    Haha, yeah I never fucked with anyone's food in any gross type of way.  I mean, they're already eating McDonald's, that's enough suffering as is. :lol: That and I swore an oath to food safety, and it's just the right thing to do.
    An asswipe (perhaps the biggest asswipe) in high school worked at the pizza joint right by the school.  Everyone knew not to eat from there when he was working.
    He bragged about doing a 'rake*' on a pizza that a guy he hated ordered.  What a total jackass.

*rake - to put one's hands down one's pants and to rake across your hairy parts, and then to sprinkle what came loose onto the pizza prior to putting it in the over.
    Don't order pizza when Calvin is working, he gave Tommy a rake pizza one time.