The Pizza Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    In Detroit for business (why else) and I am meeting a friend for lunch at Buddy's.
    Heard so much about this Detroit pizza, had to try at Buddy's, who claim to have invented it

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    In Detroit for business (why else) and I am meeting a friend for lunch at Buddy's.
    Heard so much about this Detroit pizza, had to try at Buddy's, who claim to have invented it

Pictures or it didn't happen.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    Poncier said:
    I'm just the opposite.  Aspartame and artificial sweeteners are disgusting to me, and diet sodas taste like chemicals and metal. 
    Same. (Not to mention the fact that they are known carcinogens.)
    It only has negative effects like that if you're drinking like 8 liters of diet soda a day. Also, it has been claimed that sugar is a carcinogen too, sooo..... I'd personally rather die younger than spend time constantly worrying about what substances might cause cancer if I loaded up on them to an impossible extent.
    https://www.popsci.com/diet-sodas-stroke-dementia-heart-disease-risk-study

Conclusions—Higher intake of ASB was associated with increased risk of stroke, particularly small artery occlusion subtype, coronary heart disease, and all-cause mortality. Although requiring replication, these new findings add to the potentially harmful association of consuming high quantities of ASB with these health outcomes. 
    But also:
    However, the authors caution that neither this study, nor ones like it, prove that drinking diet soda causes these diseases. “The most important thing with all prospective studies like this is that you can’t establish causality. 
    And:
    ...its impossible to prove with certainty artificial sweeteners cause detrimental health effects without doing a clinical trial, which would involve giving an excessive amount of artificial sweeteners to a group of people.
    That is a necessary statement on the limitations of the study. It would be naive to use that statement to support the notion that there are no damaging side effects from regular diet soda consumption.
    I didn't say there were none.  Obviously too much soda is not ideal for you health, diet-branded or not. But to say diet soda directly causes these things is also not correct.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I don’t drink soda anymore, but if I had my choice between the health risks of natural sugar or something made in a lab, I’m choosing the former. 
    bbiggs said:
    I don’t drink soda anymore, but if I had my choice between the health risks of natural sugar or something made in a lab, I’m choosing the former. 
    Definitely. Too bad nothing is made with natural sugar any more. But I'll still take HFCS over aspartame and all that other shit.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    All this talk about pop is making me want a fountain Coke from McDonald's....that shit is the best.  My go-to for a hangover.

And to keep thread integrity, it doesn't get much better than a good slice and a Coke.  
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    edited March 2019
    All this talk about pop is making me want a fountain Coke from McDonald's....that shit is the best.  My go-to for a hangover.

And to keep thread integrity, it doesn't get much better than a good slice and a Coke.  
    Have you read the info about how McDonald's gets their own specific syrup from Coke? 
    Folks always thought McDonalds' Coke tasted better and apparently it is different than any other fountain Coke.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926

This is the absolute truth all the way around. Coke with a Portillos beef and cheese fry on a hangover day is a close second. 

Back to pizza...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mcgruff10 said:

It was as good as advertised.
    Not too heavy, nice and crisp crust...two pieces was just right for lunch.  I could've put down another one or two but I  giving two presentations this afternoon. Not a good match with loaded stomach

Detroit Pizza?  Oh yeah!

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Looks delicious  
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Get_Right said:
    Diet sodas, juices and iced teas are the worst.  Bai drinks are borderline. I don't know how people drink that stuff. Sodas should be skipped in general except Canada Dry Ginger Ale for when you are sick (mixed with OJ), or an ice cold Coke when you are very hungover. I will say that when I think of pizza in my youth, it usually came with a 2 liter bottle of soda. Lots of Seven Up and Mountain Dew in the high school days!
    Canada Dry has officially been deemed ginger-free (and it is currently in the courts, being sued for false advertising because of this). It does literally nothing for an upset stomach. That is a myth. Take some pepto instead. That actually helps.
    And yes, an ice cold Diet Coke is HEAVEN when hungover!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    PJ_Soul said:
    Get_Right said:
    Diet sodas, juices and iced teas are the worst.  Bai drinks are borderline. I don't know how people drink that stuff. Sodas should be skipped in general except Canada Dry Ginger Ale for when you are sick (mixed with OJ), or an ice cold Coke when you are very hungover. I will say that when I think of pizza in my youth, it usually came with a 2 liter bottle of soda. Lots of Seven Up and Mountain Dew in the high school days!
    Canada Dry has officially been deemed ginger-free (and it is currently in the courts, being sued for false advertising because of this). It does literally nothing for an upset stomach. That is a myth. Take some pepto instead. That actually helps.
    Interesting.  I don't drink it for an upset stomach, just like the taste when I am sick. Might have to switch brands. For an upset stomach I will go for the hard stuff cola syrup.
    edited March 2019
    Get_Right said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Get_Right said:
    Interesting.  I don't drink it for an upset stomach, just like the taste when I am sick. Might have to switch brands. For an upset stomach I will go for the hard stuff cola syrup.
    No point in switching brands as far as I know. I don't think any ginger ales actually contain real ginger, just artificial or natural ginger flavouring. I also like DIET Canada Dry, lol. It's one of my faves because it's not too sweet. I don't care if there is no ginger in it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2019
    I'm craving ginger ale now.  I haven't had a soda yet today.  Time to walk out to the kiosk. I don't know what brand we carry, or if we even have it.
    EDIT: We have Schweppe's.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Poncier said:

Have you read the info about how McDonald's gets their own specific syrup from Coke? 
    Folks always thought McDonalds' Coke tasted better and apparently it is different than any other fountain Coke.
    Oh for sure....it's so much better than a fountain drink from anywhere else.  I definitely drove through McDonald's on my lunch break and got myself a fountain Coke today.  Delicious
    edited March 2019
    Poncier said:

Oh for sure....it's so much better than a fountain drink from anywhere else.  I definitely drove through McDonald's on my lunch break and got myself a fountain Coke today.  Delicious
    Denny's has the best fountain Diet Coke. Somehow the temp and the level of carbonation is absolute perfection at all Denny's restaurants.... I wish a better place had the ultimate Diet Coke though.
    It's definitely not a myth, McDonald's Coke does taste better.  But having worked there, I can tell you the syrup itself is no different in composition than any other restaurant's syrup.  There is no special formula or secret recipe that contains anything different or any extra or missing ingredients.  It's all in how the syrup is delivered & stored, the syrup/water mixing ratio, a super advanced water filtration system, water temperature, carbonation level, and straw size.  I'm not joking, even straw size plays a factor.  They really do have every step down to a science and all of those steps put together ensure an end result that is superior to - and more consistent than - any other restaurant in the world.
    edited March 2019
    Yes, that is true. A&W tries to do the same thing with their root beer (including refusing to serve it with ice - they say the temp they serve it at is absolutely perfect, and that ice ruins it by watering it down.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    It's definitely not a myth, McDonald's Coke does taste better.  But having worked there, I can tell you the syrup itself is no different in composition than any other restaurant's syrup.  There is no special formula or secret recipe that contains anything different or any extra or missing ingredients.  It's all in how the syrup is delivered & stored, the syrup/water mixing ratio, a super advanced water filtration system, water temperature, carbonation level, and straw size.  I'm not joking, even straw size plays a factor.  They really do have every step down to a science and all of those steps put together ensure an end result that is superior to - and more consistent than - any other restaurant in the world.
    You're right I was misremembering the article...the difference is that McDonalds gets its syrup in metal tanks, keeps it chilled and the water filtration:

https://www.wideopeneats.com/6-reasons-coca-cola-tastes-better-mcdonalds/

And they use the syrup full strength so when ice melts it doesn't taste watered down..

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/food-restaurants/mcdonalds-coke-tastes-best-secret/
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:

It was as good as advertised.
    Not too heavy, nice and crisp crust...two pieces was just right for lunch.  I could've put down another one or two but I  giving two presentations this afternoon. Not a good match with loaded stomach

Detroit Pizza?  Oh yeah!

Heck yeah!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I wish I had another 2 slices today for lunch, that shit was good.
    Crossing off Detroit makes me sad, however, as that was the last place I marked down as wanting to really try their take on pizza, here in the US.  Will have to keep my eyes open to see what might be next.  (Lots of individual joints to still visit...but as far as 'types' I am not sure what would be next.)

And...happy Pi day.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Crossing off Detroit makes me sad, however, as that was the last place I marked down as wanting to really try their take on pizza, here in the US.  Will have to keep my eyes open to see what might be next.  (Lots of individual joints to still visit...but as far as 'types' I am not sure what would be next.)

Trip to Sweden for a banana-bechamel-lingonberry-lutefisk pie?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Trip to Sweden for a banana-bechamel-lingonberry-lutefisk pie?
    Ha.  I would eat that unruly looking pizza just so that I could go to Sweden, would love to visit. 

Bacon & sweet pepper. (Toppings under the cheese) 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    two thumbs up, for F’me and dyer!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited March 2019
    I didn't make the crust, but am responsible for the rest. I loaded up. Delicious!!

Sid was interested too. :heart: 

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Pizza and wings.  Righteous!