Options

RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• Options
    OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    Wow so sad. May he RIP. Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. 
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    edited May 2017
    Just cried my entire way home from an AA meeting listening to Songbook.  Chris has helped me get through some of my biggest challenges and I've always looked up to him as a role model when it came to my sobriety.  I cannot comprehend the pain he must have been going through on a daily basis.  People do not realize mental illness/depression is so serious.

if you're having problems battling inner demons, there's no shame in asking for help.

Chris, you will be missed immensely.  May God be with his family and friends.

What a loss.  One can only hope he has been set free from whatever it was that drove him to this.

RIP Chris.  I'll take you with me through the rest of my journey. 
  • Options
    prlprl Posts: 125
    steved said:
    Temple Of The Dog - PJ20 Directors Cut (unlocked now as the time is fitting )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIz3qWy8oI&t=610s

Hey steved, thanks for sharing this. Is this video the same as the one in the TOTD deluxe boxset?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Just home from an unproductive day at the office & it's hitting me like a ton of bricks. RIP, Chris and thanks for sharing your gift with the rest of the world. You will be sorely missed. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJfanJenPJfanJen Florence, SC formerly East Peoria, IL Posts: 58
    My thoughts and prayers are with Chris's wife and kids right now.  Such a sad day in music.  I loved his music so much.  RIP Chris Cornell, may you feel peace at this time. 
    1998--Alpine Valley, WI
    2000--Deer Creek Music Theater, Indianapolis, IN
    2003--U of I Assembly Hall, Champaign, IL
    2003--Alpine Valley, WI
    2006--United Center, Chicago
    2014--Moline, IL
    2016--Wrigley Show # 1
    2016--Wrigley Show # 2
    2020--Baltimore--Didn't happen
    2023--Chicago United Center Night 2
    2024--Chicago Wrigley Field Night 1
    2024--Chicago Wrigley Field Night 2
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It didn't really all hit me until I just read the Rolling Stone article and seeing all the posts from the music world.
    I had to compose myself in public. I don't get physically upset much, but something just set it off.
    Times are tough. Be safe all.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    IdlewildIdlewild London, England Posts: 173
    Totally devastated. A true legend, fantastic voice and made so many amazing songs. R.I.P
    London Brixton Academy 1993, Wembley Arena (Both Nights) 1996, Wembley Arena 2000, London Astoria 2006, Reading Festival 2006, Verona Italy 2006, London Wembley Arena 2007, Copenhagen Denmark 2007,
    London Shepherds Bush Empire 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena 2009, London O2 Arena 2009
    Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park 2010
    Manchester Arena 1 and 2, Stockholm, Oslo 2012
    Amsterdam 1 and 2, Leeds, Milton Keynes Bowl 2014
    Wrigley Field 1 and 2 2016
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    finally got home to let out all the emotions of the day. Still in such disbelief. SG played in Wisconsin on the 13th, but I had AP exams so I couldn't go. My father cheered me up by saying "there will be hundreds of more concerts for you to see," can't believe there were only a couple of shows left. Very sad that I will never get the chance to see him perform. 

Chris is the first of my musical heroes to pass, and it is just hitting me really hard. So unexpected. Just can't believe it.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    man, so saddened by this news. i am so sorry to everyone here mourning. he touched all of us in ways that we can't really describe. i had no idea he was hurting. rest easy chris, and thank you.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    Thank you Chris for sharing so much and making this world a better place for so many.

Thoughts and love to his family and friends. Based on how I've felt all day and reading the thoughts and emotions of other fans, I can't imagine what they must going through. 

RIP
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    aceblazer1aceblazer1 Posts: 32
    I was fortunate enough to see Chris perform in PA in October 2015 on the Higher Truth solo tour.  He was amazing!  One of the best concerts I've EVER attended in the last almost 40 years.  I got chills at that show!  I've thought about it often since then.  Was shocked and heartbroken when I heard the news this morning.  I'll never forget you!!
  • Options
    makikatmakikat Posts: 29
    Listening to the repost of WTFpod with Chris.  Such a beautiful spirit.  http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/repost-chris-cornell-from-june-2014
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    gutted
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007

Falling on black days, happens to us all, to different degrees I guess. My first big rock concert was Soundgarden in early 1997, smelling weed coming from the side of the stage, being drunk off my head on whatever we poured in a plastic bottle from my mate's parent's booze cabinet; it was initiation. Seeing him at the Hordern with Audioslave, a rebirth of sorts, and very strong. Front row with a good mate at The Enmore, walking away with the stage setlist and his guitar pic, soaked in sweat. Solo acoustic at Sydney Opera House was a moving experience I will never forget.

I was fortunate enough to witness this powerhouse perform 6 times across his career, each time very memorable and instrumental in my love of his music and live music in general.

I was also fortunate enough to witness a conversation in a van one day between two of his peers; one a friend and bandmate (Brad Wilk), the other was Billy Corgan who has a history of strong opinions on the guy. But the context was beautiful... that he is a pacifist, humble, non-confrontational, polite, sweet family-man and a huge talent that focuses on his art. Despite a few differences in opinions, he was only praised. It was a nice inside to a guy I truly hold as one of my biggest inspirations in music alongside EV, Kurt (RIP) & Tom Waits. Rest in fucking power, Chris. This fucking sucks.

PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    HendonesiaHendonesia Posts: 106
    A few of you have used the word gutted to describe the feeling and you're right. Gutted. I grieve with you and send any positivity I have left your way. 
    "Society..you're a crazy breed. I hope you're not lonely without me.."
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    Sad to hear.  RIP Chris.  Fortunate to see him perform in Soundgarden, solo, and Temple of the Dog five times since 2014
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Remembering Chris... it's hard to type through the tears today... There isn't anywhere else online or in the real world where I can post this where people will understand how crushed I feel today... so thank you, friends, for putting up with this long list of mine...

My best friend Dennis and I listened to the same mix tape on the bus on the way to school every day. And every day, we listened to My Wave and The Day I Tried To Live without fail. Soundgarden was a massive part of the soundtrack of my life, and will be for as long as I live.

i feel so so fortunate to have seen a Soundgarden performance in Las Vegas in 2014. Chris' voice always blew me away - but to hear him live and in person was unforgettable. They performed every song I ever wanted them to play that night. It was glorious. We will never again hear a voice like Chris', and that's something I will forever miss.

I missed a Pearl Jam show in L.A. in 2009. I had just returned from a business trip in Hawaii and I had the opportunity to drive straight to Los Angeles and see PJ the next day - but I was so exhausted. This was the show where Chris came out on stage and sang probably the most unique version of Hunger Strike that I had ever heard. This was the show where Matt, Kim, Ben and Chris huddled backstage and started the gears moving on a Soundgarden reunion. I wasn't there, but I always think of the show I missed that became truly legendary.

His influence on so many other artists - including Eddie - is incalculable. I can't imagine where he was in his own mind last night to do something so final...

We all can get down, and there are a lot of us who know the sadness, who know the depression, and have not yet let it get the best of us. We all get bad days, and we all get worse days. Sometimes it's minute to minute. I get that. I really do. No matter how bad it gets, live for the next day. Live for your friends. Live for your family. Live for the moments you've not yet experienced. Live for the people you have not yet met. You are needed here so much more than you could ever fathom. If you need help, please talk to someone. It's ok if you need help - we all do. There's nothing wrong with reaching out. Please take care of yourselves, friends. Theres a lot of love here. We need you.

We are going to miss you so much, Chris. A big part of us died with you, today. You never knew me, but you were there for me when I needed you. Thank you so much, Chris. We miss you.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,286
    The only CD I could find to put in the car today was 'Songbook'.
    Made it about 3 songs in and had to drive the rest of the way to work in silence.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I just keep thinking. Thinking about he was alone, physically, no one should die alone.

I just keep thinking.

I know his guardian angels were there to take him home. 

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,849
    edited May 2017
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 527
    My first concert experience. Audioslave at the Tsongas Arena in Lowell, MA. Halloween night 2005. I was 15 years old. My Dad had to drive me and my buddies. (And then waited for us until the show was over - what a trooper!). Audioslave absolutely destroyed the place. THat was the tour they started playing Rage songs. Most intense I've ever felt at a show. Thank you Chris
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    Rest in peace lovely, talented man.  So privileged to have seen Chris as a solo artist live in Australia in 2011 and 2015 and again with Soundgarden in 2015.  
  • Options
    Remembering Chris... it's hard to type through the tears today... There isn't anywhere else online or in the real world where I can post this where people will understand how crushed I feel today... so thank you, friends, for putting up with this long list of mine...

My best friend Dennis and I listened to the same mix tape on the bus on the way to school every day. And every day, we listened to My Wave and The Day I Tried To Live without fail. Soundgarden was a massive part of the soundtrack of my life, and will be for as long as I live.

i feel so so fortunate to have seen a Soundgarden performance in Las Vegas in 2014. Chris' voice always blew me away - but to hear him live and in person was unforgettable. They performed every song I ever wanted them to play that night. It was glorious. We will never again hear a voice like Chris', and that's something I will forever miss.

I missed a Pearl Jam show in L.A. in 2009. I had just returned from a business trip in Hawaii and I had the opportunity to drive straight to Los Angeles and see PJ the next day - but I was so exhausted. This was the show where Chris came out on stage and sang probably the most unique version of Hunger Strike that I had ever heard. This was the show where Matt, Kim, Ben and Chris huddled backstage and started the gears moving on a Soundgarden reunion. I wasn't there, but I always think of the show I missed that became truly legendary.

His influence on so many other artists - including Eddie - is incalculable. I can't imagine where he was in his own mind last night to do something so final...

We all can get down, and there are a lot of us who know the sadness, who know the depression, and have not yet let it get the best of us. We all get bad days, and we all get worse days. Sometimes it's minute to minute. I get that. I really do. No matter how bad it gets, live for the next day. Live for your friends. Live for your family. Live for the moments you've not yet experienced. Live for the people you have not yet met. You are needed here so much more than you could ever fathom. If you need help, please talk to someone. It's ok if you need help - we all do. There's nothing wrong with reaching out. Please take care of yourselves, friends. Theres a lot of love here. We need you.

We are going to miss you so much, Chris. A big part of us died with you, today. You never knew me, but you were there for me when I needed you. Thank you so much, Chris. We miss you.
    Great post to embody a painfully sad day. Your post completely captures my utter sadness of today and the difficulty to process an important loss of someone you've never met. 

I have no words for this. I'm so sad. But that pales in comparison to so many others who knew him personally as a family member, friend, or bandmate. I can't imagine the pain and confusion they all feel. My thoughts and prayers are with anyone who has been touched by this horrible event and anyone who struggles with whatever difficulties life has placed in front of them.

Your post helped me realize that my feelings are not unique - especially on this forum - on such a difficult day. 

Much love to everyone. 
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    edited May 2017
    One of my favorites. It's just so god damn sad.

youtu.be/dfF4t9-wpCM
    Post edited by RS151862 on
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited May 2017
    RIP Mr Cornell :confounded: 
    Post edited by Longueuil on
  • Options
    RedterrorRedterror Posts: 39
    Just listening to all the songs Chris Cornell was involved with and watching the rain fall down outside. So sad.
    RIP Chris Cornell.
    Thanks so very much for the tunes.
  • Options
    jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    I haven't spent this much time on the forum in many years,  for some strange reason I feel reading all of the posts helps in the grieving process.  Still in shock