Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    Unfortunately the answer to the OP is no way.

There is too much fake patriotism and abject hatred in America.

To love America means you need to accept it's diversity, whether ethnic, racial or political. That's what defines this country.

To hate me or insult me because I support Democratic policies is absurd. But it happens.

I need to whisper my political beliefs in public because I may enrage a conservative? I whisper and I don't even have to walk in the shoes that minorities do here.

What other country marginalizes the poor and non whites like America does?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited October 2018
    All you have to do is look at some measurable statistics anyhow, if you don't want to get into the meat of the question. The US doesn't come first (or even close to) in any measurable statistic when it comes to education, health care, low poverty rates, crime, environment ... nothing. But do come first in shit like consumption. They are far up there in terms of the unemployment numbers the government reports right now, but from what any objective person can observe, those numbers are total bullshit anyhow. I'm not saying any of that as a slag on America in general or in any emotional way - I'm just saying that it is impossible to call America the greatest country if you simply look at the numbers and outcomes.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I need to whisper my political beliefs in public because I may enrage a conservative? 
    It's the same way for conservatives though...always being insulted and looked down upon by liberals because they voted for Trump. Trump's a complete mess so I guess I could at least see where they're coming from. But it was the same way when George W. Bush was in office. Liberals seemed to hold the view of "You must be an idiot to vote for this idiot." 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    All you have to do is look at some measurable statistics anyhow, if you don't want to get into the meat of the question. The US doesn't come first (or even close to) in any measurable statistic when it comes to education, health care, low poverty rates, crime, environment ... nothing. But do come first in shit like consumption. They are far up there in terms of the unemployment numbers the government reports right now, but from what any objective person can observe, those numbers are total bullshit anyhow. I'm not saying any of that as a slag on America in general or in any emotional way - I'm just saying that it is impossible to call America the greatest country if you simply look at the numbers and outcomes.
    I had asked in one of my responses in this thread what a list of criteria would be and didn’t get a response. Surely, the folks for/against could agree on 10 or so criteria and then we could compare?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    We certainly have a lot of items that could be listed in the "minus" column. 

In the plus column, however, we can list:

- The invention of jazz and blues (without which there would be no rock, hip hop, alternative, etc.)
    - Arches National Monument, Yosemite, etc.
    - Chocolate chip cookies
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I need to whisper my political beliefs in public because I may enrage a conservative? 
    It's the same way for conservatives though...always being insulted and looked down upon by liberals because they voted for Trump. Trump's a complete mess so I guess I could at least see where they're coming from. But it was the same way when George W. Bush was in office. Liberals seemed to hold the view of "You must be an idiot to vote for this idiot." 
    And that's why they lost, and still havent figured it out.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I had asked in one of my responses in this thread what a list of criteria would be and didn’t get a response. Surely, the folks for/against could agree on 10 or so criteria and then we could compare?
    I think some of the obvious ones would be:
    Education outcomes, costs, and access
    Health care outcomes, costs, and access
    Poverty rates
    Income inequality
    Cost of Living vs wages
    Employment rates (but real ones, not the fake ones we hear about)
    Crime rates (violent and non-violent)
    Gender wage gap
    Environmental protection levels
    LGBTQ rights
    Prison system efficacy
    Taxation levels
    Separation of Church and State
    Freedom of the press
    Freedom of speech and the right to peacefully protest
    And... of course.... and I don't even know how to put it.... efficacy of and trust in government? I'm sure there is a nice clean term for this.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Legalized marijuana and the price of coffee? :)
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    because he WAS an idiot. the fact he was voted in again (barely), baffled most of the human race. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2hands said:
    WE ALL KNOW WHY HILLARY LOST. GET A NEW TALKING POINT. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2hands said:
    Not sure about that - there are loads of reasons why Hillary lost (some points against her, some point against many others), and a lot of people keep trying to pinpoint just one reason. It's pretty dumb. But either way, yes, altogether we know all the reasons she lost, and it's ridiculous to still be going on about it the way some people do. I don't understand the motivation behind that.

• Options
    History... repeating... itself... maybe. 

Most Democrats think she lost because the other side is stupid racists... i think I've seen the light and disagree... that's pure elitism...  and feel I need to actively engage in this conversation... sitting around calling people idiots and racists isnt helping fix the problem... I believe in the theory that with my two hands, I can change the world... so here i am, challenging progressives, talking to independents, and looking for ways to connect and agree with conservatives 

When you lose you don't blame the other team, you figure out what YOU did wrong which caused YOU to lose, and correct it. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    Not sure about that - there are loads of reasons why Hillary lost (some points against her, some point against many others), and a lot of people keep trying to pinpoint just one reason. It's pretty dumb. But either way, yes, altogether we know all the reasons she lost, and it's ridiculous to still be going on about it the way some people do. I don't understand the motivation behind that.

the funniest part about it is, people who keep blathering on and on about it call liberals the "elitists" at the same time as pointing the finger that "we still haven't figured it out". 

which is it?

same with how stupid we apparently all are at the same time as organizing a deep state initiative to take over the planet. 

which is it?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    because he WAS an idiot. the fact he was voted in again (barely), baffled most of the human race. 
    But just because he's an idiot doesn't mean everyone that vote for him is. It wasn't until I grew up that I understood this. I was 20-years-old and in college during the 2004 election and I thought that same way: Bush is an idiot, and if you vote for him, you're an idiot. Now, as an adult, I realize it's not fair to characterize people like that. They could have very good reasons to vote for Bush, McCain or Romney just as I felt I had good reason to vote for Kerry and Obama. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    But just because he's an idiot doesn't mean everyone that vote for him is. It wasn't until I grew up that I understood this. I was 20-years-old and in college during the 2004 election and I thought that same way: Bush is an idiot, and if you vote for him, you're an idiot. Now, as an adult, I realize it's not fair to characterize people like that. They could have very good reasons to vote for Bush, McCain or Romney just as I felt I had good reason to vote for Kerry and Obama. 
    back then I didn't characterize people who voted for GWB as idiots either. And I honestly understood why people voted W in a second time. In the throes of the war on turrrrrr, and americans were afraid that they needed to stay the course.

if some looked down upon those who voted for W, it was because that's how they were expressing their rage about the WMD debacle and the subsequent war and loss of american (and iraqi) lives. 

Trump is a whole new ball of wax, though. I don't think people who voted for him this time are necessarily idiots, but if they do it again, well.......
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

back then I didn't characterize people who voted for GWB as idiots either. And I honestly understood why people voted W in a second time. In the throes of the war on turrrrrr, and americans were afraid that they needed to stay the course.

if some looked down upon those who voted for W, it was because that's how they were expressing their rage about the WMD debacle and the subsequent war and loss of american (and iraqi) lives. 

Trump is a whole new ball of wax, though. I don't think people who voted for him this time are necessarily idiots, but if they do it again, well.......
    I agree with Trump being a "whole new ball of wax." He's completely unprecedented and all the rules have been thrown out the window. But...not everybody sees it like that. Some see him as just another Republican but with the nerve to say things that past Republicans wish that had the gall to say it. Not only do I think people that voted for him in 2016 will vote for him again, I think he's gaining voters. I can't back that up with any stats or anything. Just a hunch. For example, all the kids that were age 14-17 during the 2016 election will have the right to vote by 2020. I think those new voters will lean towards Trump because he's a meme-generating, social-media, celebrity president. I know...it sounds ridiculous to think that will factor in. But like you said, it's a whole new ball of wax with this guy. Expect the unexpected. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Most Democrats think she lost because the other side is stupid racists... i think I've seen the light and disagree... that's pure elitism...  and feel I need to actively engage in this conversation... sitting around calling people idiots and racists isnt helping fix the problem... I believe in the theory that with my two hands, I can change the world... so here i am, challenging progressives, talking to independents, and looking for ways to connect and agree with conservatives 

When you lose you don't blame the other team, you figure out what YOU did wrong which caused YOU to lose, and correct it. 
    Where has it been posited that “most democrats think she lost because the other side is stupid racists?” The only one saying that is you.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited April 2019
    This is a 23-page, 17-month-old thread, so I honestly don't know whether I've ever replied to it.  But I'll say the same thing now that I would have said in 2010, or 2002, or 1998...

...I've never been comfortable with this notion that "America is the greatest country in the world."  And it's not an issue of the degree to which that is or is not true but the need to keep repeating it.  It almost comes across as insecure, like we have to keep convincing ourselves.  And I don't need to decide whether we're greater than other countries.  There's no value in making a contest out of it.  I think the potential damage this does is that it feeds into our jingoistic need to shut down any thought that we could improve.  "We're the greatest country in the world; how dare you question anything about it?"

Like so many things, America's great, but flawed.  It's constitution and written laws are great, but flawed.  Its criminal justice system (or rather its 50 criminal justice systems) is great (though some people have every right to say they are not) but flawed.  But we rest on our "greatness" or, rather "our greatestness."  And we don't want to hear about the way the criminal justice system treats those with less money or different ethnic backgrounds because it makes us question our greatestness.  And hey, in some places they wouldn't even get a trial!

And of course, it's not just the laws and norms, but the people.  And, while I don't have a "great countries" ranking to consult, I'm a little bit down on the American people these days.  

I'm actually very ethnocentric, in that I love US culture: college towns, pro sports, rock-n-roll, etc.  But the greatest? Let's not get complacent.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Legalized marijuana and the price of coffee? :)
    :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

the funniest part about it is, people who keep blathering on and on about it call liberals the "elitists" at the same time as pointing the finger that "we still haven't figured it out". 

which is it?

same with how stupid we apparently all are at the same time as organizing a deep state initiative to take over the planet. 

which is it?
    Ummmm....you can be an elitist that does not get it.  Elitist doesn't mean smart.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    OnWis97 said:
    This is a 23-page, 17-month-old thread, so I honestly don't know whether I've ever replied to it. 
    Who knows.  I looked back to the 1st post again, and it certainly wasn't an attempt at a legit conversation.  Just a reason to post that video that became a thread to say why america isn't the greatest.

Here's what's better in America in my everyday life vs many other places:

1) Beer - craft beer in america is setting the world standard.  The world is indeed catching up however, but long way to go
    2) Driving - America has space...now while traffic sucks in the city areas it just like I've seen in other countries' city areas.  And america has some wide open roads.  So do other countries, but I think America has the most? Anyhow, I have a normal sized car, not those shit cars in most of Europe!
    3) Professional Football, College sports basketball, college football....all way better than soccer.  If you disagree you are either wrong or wrong. ;)
    4) My house - man, I have actual space.  I have a room in my basement just for beer.  I have a bathroom bigger than the hotel rooms I've been in in Europe.  I have a full sized fridge and dishwasher...and get this, my washer and dryer are in their own room! Not in the kitchen or non-existent!
    5) Pearl Jam is an american band.  So screw the rest of you!  They've played far more shows in the US and I've gotten to see them a lot ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    OnWis97 said:
    This is a 23-page, 17-month-old thread, so I honestly don't know whether I've ever replied to it. 
    Who knows.  I looked back to the 1st post again, and it certainly wasn't an attempt at a legit conversation.  Just a reason to post that video that became a thread to say why america isn't the greatest.

1) Beer - craft beer in america is setting the world standard.  The world is indeed catching up however, but long way to go
    2) Driving - America has space...now while traffic sucks in the city areas it just like I've seen in other countries' city areas.  And america has some wide open roads.  So do other countries, but I think America has the most? Anyhow, I have a normal sized car, not those shit cars in most of Europe!
    3) Professional Football, College sports basketball, college football....all way better than soccer.  If you disagree you are either wrong or wrong. ;)
    4) My house - man, I have actual space.  I have a room in my basement just for beer.  I have a bathroom bigger than the hotel rooms I've been in in Europe.  I have a full sized fridge and dishwasher...and get this, my washer and dryer are in their own room! Not in the kitchen or non-existent!
    5) Pearl Jam is an american band.  So screw the rest of you!  They've played far more shows in the US and I've gotten to see them a lot ;)
    #3 :plus_one:
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Well, except for the pro football part, haha!
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Not a bad list and, for what ever reason anyone should care, haha, here is my take on your list:

1.  Beer?  Maybe, but because it contains yeast I had to quit drinking it.  Wine, however, I can personally say I believe has outdistanced Europe.  We make some terrific wines!

2.  Driving.  Flashback, 1972.  Driving my Malibu through Nevada at a time when the highways had no speed limit.  I opened it up to the point where the electric fuel pump could not keep up with the engine.  Come to think of it, I have footage from that ride:

As for our cars, that was then, this is now.  The planet can't take too many muscle cars these days.  My friend Dieter was visiting from Germany a few years back and looked at my Prius and said, "In Europe, that would be considered a big car." 

3.  Football, (see George Carlin about that).  Baseball.  Oh yeah!

4. Houses.  What?  No wine cellar?  But yeah, room to move is a wonderful luxury many of us have.  I find my 1250 sq. ft. house much more comfortable then when I was living in my van in the 90's.

5. Pearl Jam.  Yeah, Missoula, MT 2012, one of the best of ever show I've seen since 1965.  Awesome!

• Options
    my2hands said:

Where has it been posited that “most democrats think she lost because the other side is stupid racists?” The only one saying that is you.
    Read posts on here the last 2 years, including some of my own? Lol
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

which is it?

which is it?
    Ummmm....you can be an elitist that does not get it.  Elitist doesn't mean smart.
    I didn't say "smart". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I’d love to hear what those using the term “elitist” in a derogatory manner think it means. Please, define it for me, the not the smartest guy in the room guy.

”I love the uneducated.”

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    For gawds sakes people... Scruffy clearly doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to wine. He places ice cubes in his shiraz.

Give him Baby Duck and he'd be thinking he was drinking a royal reserve.
    I'm late to the party but...
    Damn 30Bills, that's a good reference right there!
    The finest toilet wine known to man. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I’d love to hear what those using the term “elitist” in a derogatory manner think it means. Please, define it for me, the not the smartest guy in the room guy.

”I love the uneducated.”
    It's just another pejorative for "liberal."  The slight difference is perhaps the the "elitist" is often associated with mocking racists, which is worse than actually being racist.

The walk-away is real.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

”I love the uneducated.”
    "Poorly educated"

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
This discussion has been closed.