Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Bought the most american looking wine I could find. 99 SEK ($11)

lol, that's awesome!   I haven't had red zinf in a long time.  Is this for date night?
    No... finishing an animating.gig tonight and maybe watch season 2 of Making a Murderer... .by myself... Might order a pizza... by myself..
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Saw this online and knew I had to post it for McGruff. Frosé - frozen rosé, ie a slushy. You’re welcome. 

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/frose
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    Saw this online and knew I had to post it for McGruff. Frosé - frozen rosé, ie a slushy. You’re welcome. 

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/frose
    Next pj show I am buying you one of these!
    went to two liquor stores yesterday looking for bc Pinot Gris and couldn’t find it. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cranberry juice > wine
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Next PJ show McGruff is gonna be broke, he owes just me 5 beers already lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Next PJ show McGruff is gonna be broke, he owes just me 5 beers already lol
    Well pj isn’t playing until 2022 so I have time to save up lol. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Interest, homie... you're from Jersey, you know debts carry interest lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Interest, homie... you're from Jersey, you know debts carry interest lol
    I'm down with this!  Three beers before the show and three beers after.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    njnancy said:
    Why isn't America THE LAND OF THE FREE AND ONE NATION UNDER GOD number one on this list? 

For a nation arguing to be the greatest ever, shouldn't it atleast crack the top 10? 

Something-something-Bruce-Springsteen-albums

I've thought about what the measurements would be, like health outcomes, exposure to violence, health care spending, life expectancy, infant mortality, percent living in poverty, etc. but facts don't matter much in these parts.
    It be interesting to see what makes this up. 
    It says - scoring categories based on electoral process and pluralism, civil liberties, functioning of government, political participation, political culture.

USA falls down the list on political participation alone - not even half of the country votes in presidential elections, nevermind mid terms, etc. 
    right but those are just words. How rated, etc You know the guidelines used as they scored. I’m not saying it’s good or bad, just interested in how they scored it
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited October 2018
    Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme condemning the US for their actions in Vietnam in 1972. A speech causing the ire of Nixon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGm4es5rJnQ

"One should call things by their proper name. What is happening right now in Vietnam is a form of torture. ---
    What they do is to torment people, torment a nation to humiliate it, to force it into submission to its orders. ---
    And therefore the bombings are an evil act. And of that we have many examples in modern history. And they are generally associated with a name: Guernica, Oradour, Babij Jar, Katyń, Lidice, Sharpeville, Treblinka. There where violence has triumphed. But the worlds judgment has fallen hard over those who were responsibility.
    Now a new name is added to the list: Hanoi, Christmas 1972."

Olof Palme's brief statement about the furious American bomb raid against Hanoi, Christmas in 1972, gave echoes all over the world. The text did not even take two minutes to read - but caused two years of  diplomatic crisis. - We should be proud. He was the only European leader who dared to stand up and say what the whole world thought, says Anders Ferm, who wrote the first draft of the text.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    Here's a little secret about red wine:  Gives you a headache?  It's the malolactic acid.  Red wine made without malolactic acid (i.e. made the old-world way) is much less likely to give a head ache or hangover.  Oh, the things they don't tell you!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Here's a little secret about red wine:  Gives you a headache?  It's the malolactic acid.  Red wine made without malolactic acid (i.e. made the old-world way) is much less likely to give a head ache or hangover.  Oh, the things they don't tell you!
    Not really correct, Brian. Malolactic fermentation isn’t specific to red wines, and isn’t specifically a new world technique. MLF is the process of converting malic acid to lactic acid, which changes the taste and mouthfeel of the wine. It’s appropriate for some wines, mostly reds but also some whites like chardonnays, and not even all reds. Hangovers are complicated but more likely related to congeners and histamines. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Not really correct, Brian. Malolactic fermentation isn’t specific to red wines, and isn’t specifically a new world technique. MLF is the process of converting malic acid to lactic acid, which changes the taste and mouthfeel of the wine. It’s appropriate for some wines, mostly reds but also some whites like chardonnays, and not even all reds. Hangovers are complicated but more likely related to congeners and histamines. 
    Non-malalactic wines have worked well for me and others I know.  I'm stickin' with 'em!

Here's where I learned about this (our favorite winery!):

What is malolactic fermentation?

In a nutshell, malolactic fermentation (ML) is a secondary, bacterial fermentation that red wines of today are almost universally put through, as are many white wines. During primary fermentation, yeast converts sugar into alcohol. During the optional secondary fermentation, a strain of lactic bacteria (usually Leuconostoc oenos) converts the bright malic acid into a softer lactic acid.

The bacteria responsible for ML is found in most wineries and even vineyards, and so malolactic fermentation often occurs spontaneously; however, many winemakers inoculate their wine with the bug to give the process a jump start. Because Leuconostoc oenos is so rampant in wineries, it is difficult to control and if a winery wants to avoid it, it must take special and extensive measures in hygiene, pH and temperature control.

How does a wine change during malolactic fermentation?

During ML, a two-fold change occurs: 1) There is a drop in acidity, since malic acid is a stronger acid than the lactic acid into which it is converted. 2) The process imparts a characteristic flavor change; the wine loses its "green apple" crispness imparted by the malic and gains the "buttery" character of the lactic.

What purpose does ML serve?

Originally, the main purpose of ML was economic: softening the acidity of a wine allows it to be released sooner. This is helpful in some regions where ripening to 24° brix is not consistently possible. In California, we don’t have this problem and prior to the 1980s, most California wines were non-malolactic. However, malolactic fermentation started becoming popular here during that decade as a way to make wine more accessible to non-wine drinkers, and to make it even quicker to market. Since then, the malolactic style has become the norm and classically structured wines the exception.

So...why does Cantiga prevent ML?

Preventing ML is our way of achieving a classical structure to our wines while taking advantage of the ripe flavors we can achieve here in California. In other words, we are preserving the natural acidity of the wine and the purity of the fruit. A non-malolactic wine, with its livelier acidity, elegant balance and fruit-forward character, is generally better suited to the dinner table. Additionally, it can cellar for decades, allowing complexities to gradually unfold. And finally, acid is a natural preservative; wines higher in acidity do not require nearly the sulfite levels that softer wines require, thus making them easier on allergies.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Why isn't America THE LAND OF THE FREE AND ONE NATION UNDER GOD number one on this list? 

For a nation arguing to be the greatest ever, shouldn't it atleast crack the top 10? 

Something-something-Bruce-Springsteen-albums

Take out the down under and you never get to see the sun for over half the year and the two that do get to see the sun have to hide from every creature that could potentially kill them (including orcs).
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    It also backs my theory that central air and heating is the apex of a civilized society.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Non-malalactic wines have worked well for me and others I know.  I'm stickin' with 'em!

In a nutshell, malolactic fermentation (ML) is a secondary, bacterial fermentation that red wines of today are almost universally put through, as are many white wines. During primary fermentation, yeast converts sugar into alcohol. During the optional secondary fermentation, a strain of lactic bacteria (usually Leuconostoc oenos) converts the bright malic acid into a softer lactic acid.

The bacteria responsible for ML is found in most wineries and even vineyards, and so malolactic fermentation often occurs spontaneously; however, many winemakers inoculate their wine with the bug to give the process a jump start. Because Leuconostoc oenos is so rampant in wineries, it is difficult to control and if a winery wants to avoid it, it must take special and extensive measures in hygiene, pH and temperature control.

During ML, a two-fold change occurs: 1) There is a drop in acidity, since malic acid is a stronger acid than the lactic acid into which it is converted. 2) The process imparts a characteristic flavor change; the wine loses its "green apple" crispness imparted by the malic and gains the "buttery" character of the lactic.

Originally, the main purpose of ML was economic: softening the acidity of a wine allows it to be released sooner. This is helpful in some regions where ripening to 24° brix is not consistently possible. In California, we don’t have this problem and prior to the 1980s, most California wines were non-malolactic. However, malolactic fermentation started becoming popular here during that decade as a way to make wine more accessible to non-wine drinkers, and to make it even quicker to market. Since then, the malolactic style has become the norm and classically structured wines the exception.

Preventing ML is our way of achieving a classical structure to our wines while taking advantage of the ripe flavors we can achieve here in California. In other words, we are preserving the natural acidity of the wine and the purity of the fruit. A non-malolactic wine, with its livelier acidity, elegant balance and fruit-forward character, is generally better suited to the dinner table. Additionally, it can cellar for decades, allowing complexities to gradually unfold. And finally, acid is a natural preservative; wines higher in acidity do not require nearly the sulfite levels that softer wines require, thus making them easier on allergies.

They’re putting their own marketing spin on that, Brian. Nothing in there shows that MLF increases or reduces hangovers, and also, sulfite use is generally higher when companies don’t want MLF to occur, as they need to kill off the natural bacterial that would lead to MLF in the bottle. 
  • Options
    I thought it was sulfates that give you a hangover?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I thought it was sulfates that give you a hangover?

No, research suggests not. Sulfites are a problem for people with sulfite allergies, but otherwise not much of an issue. Natural or introduced sulfites are present in many, many foods. We don't all get hangovers from dried apricots. 
  • Options
    It's the amount that gives you a hangover. Simple 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Dehydration
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Dehydration, and congeners, mostly. That's why hangovers from rum, bourbon, etc. tend to be worse than from vodka and gin for the same amount of alcohol. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

They’re putting their own marketing spin on that, Brian. Nothing in there shows that MLF increases or reduces hangovers, and also, sulfite use is generally higher when companies don’t want MLF to occur, as they need to kill off the natural bacterial that would lead to MLF in the bottle. 
    I all but had to quit drinking red wine.  This works for me and several others with similar experiences.   The folks at Cantiga are some of the best and most respected vintners in a the well regarded Southern El Dorado/ Fairplay/ Amador growing region.  They're small, family owned, and have limited production so have no reason to hard sell anything.  And they do not charge for tasting and they specialize in wine/food paring.  You just don't see these attributes at larger commercial wineries that are more big business minded.  I don't think they're putting anyone on.  And I'm happy to be able to enjoy red wine again!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I all but had to quit drinking red wine.  This works for me and several others with similar experiences.   The folks at Cantiga are some of the best and most respected vintners in a the well regarded Southern El Dorado/ Fairplay/ Amador growing region.  They're small, family owned, and have limited production so have no reason to hard sell anything.  And they do not charge for tasting and they specialize in wine/food paring.  You just don't see these attributes at larger commercial wineries that are more big business minded.  I don't think they're putting anyone on.  And I'm happy to be able to enjoy red wine again!

Sure, I'm happy you are as well. But are you sure it's the lack of MLF is my point. Do you also struggle with whites that undergo MLF, like most chardonnay, sauvignon blanc and pinot gris? What about other reds that don't?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Sure, I'm happy you are as well. But are you sure it's the lack of MLF is my point. Do you also struggle with whites that undergo MLF, like most chardonnay, sauvignon blanc and pinot gris? What about other reds that don't?
    I'm fairly certain it's the lack of MLF but then viticulture science is not something I'm an expert on.  Mostly I go with what works.  The only white wine I drink is organics that have lower sulfates which also tend to induce headache.  I'm also kind of a light weight when it comes to anything alcoholic.  Which is why I'm more a cannabis fan.  And I'm becoming a lightweight re. cannabis as well.  I'm not sure why.  Aging maybe?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I'm fairly certain it's the lack of MLF but then viticulture science is not something I'm an expert on.  Mostly I go with what works.  The only white wine I drink is organics that have lower sulfates which also tend to induce headache.  I'm also kind of a light weight when it comes to anything alcoholic.  Which is why I'm more a cannabis fan.  And I'm becoming a lightweight re. cannabis as well.  I'm not sure why.  Aging maybe?

Well, the good news, is, that's cheaper for you ;)
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Well, the good news, is, that's cheaper for you ;)
    Yeah for sure.  That's why America is great!  It's cheaper!

(I don't know what that means either, just trying to tie in to the thread topic, haha!)

• Options
    I wonder what percentage really believe USA is the greatest country? And any country member whilst I think of it. Because I certainty do not believe my country is the greatest.! I'm thinking lots of Americans actually believe it!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited October 2018
    I wonder what percentage really believe USA is the greatest country? And any country member whilst I think of it. Because I certainty do not believe my country is the greatest.! I'm thinking lots of Americans actually believe it!
    Americans are being born into their "one nation under god"-Nationalism and getting it pushed on them much more than us Europeans. Do you sing your national anthem before Premiere League football (soccer) matches?

In Sweden we don't.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Americans are being born into their "one nation under god"-Nationalism and getting it pushed on them much more than us Europeans. Do you sing your national anthem before Premiere League football (soccer) matches?

In Sweden we don't.

Yah, but in Sweden you guys wear speedos too. So there's lots of differences between countries we could list.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
This discussion has been closed.