What would you do if you received a rare poster in a mystery box?

I received a fairly rare poster in one of my mystery boxes,  which I definitely do not like and don't want to keep, and I posted it in an FB group (with the rest of the contents of my boxes). I was quickly inundated with trade requests, and thought.. huh, maybe I  should think on this first!! 

I searched the forums and many people are ISO this poster, but how do I determine a fair price (when there is limited info on expresso beans) that a) doesn't rip off a fellow fan but also b) doesn't rip off myself? (I've had some of my good deals flipped--not by folks in the forum, thankfully!)  

Then I thought about eBay, and starting it low, to let the market decide so I don't have to--. but that doesn't seem right to do, or in the spirit of the mystery box.. BUT, THEN I saw that eBay has it where you can auto-set-up a portion of your payment to be donated to charity, and VItalogy Foundation was one of the charities! So then I considered donating 50% of the proceeds to Vitalogy Foundation--so even if it's "flipped" I'll know some of the money paid went to a great cause. 

My last potential option was that I found a similarly rare poster I really liked, and I have considered asking for that to make for an easy trade. Of course, that would mean someone would have to both have that poster and want mine. 

So yeah, what would YOU do in this situation? 

Chicago '98 * East Lansing '98 * Indianapolis '00 * Detroit '00 * Cleveland '03 * Detroit (1st) '03 * Grand Rapids '04 * London (ON) '05 * Grand Rapids '06 * Chicago '09 * Chicago '13 * Chicago '16

Comments

• PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    edited May 2017
    Trade it for your poster You want if the other party is willing.  Otherwise research an acceptable price and post it for sale here.  Ask around specifically about what the average value is for this poster you now have.  Keep in mind that you got lucky and got this in your mystery box.  Doesn't mean you sell it cheap, but don't get so greedy looking only at the top dollar you could potentially get for it.  Anyone who is looking to spend big money on a poster usually has all intent to frame it and put it on his/her wall.  Would be nice for you to get it to another ten club member.  Definitely do not run an auction here.  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,432
    Am I the only one dying to know what this poster is? Also PP193448 said it well.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,058
    PJNB said:
    Am I the only one dying to know what this poster is? Also PP193448 said it well.
    nope im right there with you!!

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,280
    Me 2!!!!
    What'd u score monkeyderfen???
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    trade it for something you really want or sell it for fair market for funds toward something you really want.....
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,908
    edited May 2017
    1. Reveal the poster
    2. Plenty of individuals here can/will state fair market value
    3. Consider trade/sale options here
    4. You can still donate a portion of your sale directly to the band's foundation (there's a link on the site here) and save on eBay fees
    5. If it's truly rare/valuable don't let it go for for cheap. If you're uncertain, as mentioned plenty here will make sure you're not ripped off
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Sell it.  Unless its Pittsburgh.  I'll hang that.  I dont think Kong or the other ones are all that nice honestly.   Pittsburgh 13 and Portland 13 are gems tho. 
  • andrew68andrew68 Posts: 1,805
    unmask ! !
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Thanks for your thoughts so far -- 

Part of my dillemma (Okay, I know, this isn't a REAL dilemma haha) is that I also got another popular poster, but the value on that one was more clear, and someone else traded for the two posters I REALLY wanted. So the aforementioned third poster is the one I KINDA want but also probably won't have room to hang anyways as my boyfriend and I share a one bedroom apartment and only have so many walls :-D

I was purposely not mentioning it as to avoid getting inundated with PMs, but it is the Seattle Key Arena poster - Riot Act variant. There are three listings on Expresso Beans: $100, $200, $300. So I'd guess $200 would be a fair price, but three price points from last year doesn't seem like a lot to go on. What if it's worth less now that people got it in mystery boxes?  

That said, I do really love the idea of selling it on the forum and donating half the proceeds to Vitalogy Foundation without the eBay fees, thank you @100 Pacer for the suggestion! 

My boyfriend informed me I'm overthinking this and don't have to make a decision right away :-D But this is a HUGE poster and I've been trying to declutter, and I'm also a klutz so I am fearful if I keep it around, I'll sit on it or something on accident, and NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY IT! :) 
    Chicago '98 * East Lansing '98 * Indianapolis '00 * Detroit '00 * Cleveland '03 * Detroit (1st) '03 * Grand Rapids '04 * London (ON) '05 * Grand Rapids '06 * Chicago '09 * Chicago '13 * Chicago '16
  • If it were Kong, I'd keep it! We have a piece of plastic from the front of an old DK arcade game that I'd hang it under ;) 
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,118
    Riot Act poster by itself or the uncut Pearl Jam/Riot Act double poster?
    Either way, congrats!
    edited May 2017
    Is this your poster? If it is, it is worth a lot more then 200$. The reason I ask is because you say that it is huge. If it the cut version with the Riot Act only on it then I would just try to trade it for what you are looking for.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Do ebay.  
    Keep half the cash
    give the other half to St. Jude
  • andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,968
    edited May 2017
    Congrats on scoring 2 good posters.  Don't let the fact that you have already made a trade for the other poster have any influence on what you do with the Riot Act poster.  You don't have to get what is the most value, get what you want most.  If people are making good offers for YOUR poster, then trade with the person who is offering what you want the most.

Don't overthink it, don't feel like you are doing something wrong by trading (or selling) something that belongs to you.

Based on the limited sales recorded on ebeans, I would say that it should be worth north of $300 - but it is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay or trade for it.
    Post edited by andyfarrimond on
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,908
    Agreed. The uncut SEA I figure is worth ~$350 but if someone offers you $300 would you turn it down? Since auctions aren't allowed here and you're saving on eBay seller fees ask $300 plus shipping and spread the karma around. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    100 Pacer said:
    Agreed. The uncut SEA I figure is worth ~$350 but if someone offers you $300 would you turn it down? Since auctions aren't allowed here and you're saving on eBay seller fees ask $300 plus shipping and spread the karma around. 
    There has only been 3 sales tracked on Expresso but the sale prices ranged from 900$-1250$. Of course the right buyer would have to come by to purchase it for that price. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,189
    I've been searching for this poster!!!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    edited May 2017

You paid $100 not knowing what you were going to get.  If the 10C sold you this $300 poster for $30 and had a disclaimer for 10c members only and not for resale than that is one thing (following the spirit of the sale), but here the 10c is unloading excess inventory and throwing in a few high value items to get people to shell out $100 for a mystery box.  This is a lottery essentially. 

Do what you want with the poster without any feeling of guilt.  You could have just as easily got the Prague 2012 poster which is worth about as much as the paper it is on.

• NOT the uncut version. Regular version is still gigantic! According to Expresso Beans they are both the same size, 24x36. 
  • SweetDaddyLouSweetDaddyLou Posts: 1,200

Wow OP, consider your self super lucky. Just think a few days ago before opening your mystery box, you didn't have this 'dilemma' :).

As you mentioned, either list on ebay for .99 cents (with a % of proceeds going to charity) and let the market drive the price. Then you can probably purchase your ISO poster.

Or list your ISO here and see if you can trade for what you are looking to find.

I don't believe it is signed/numbered so it may not reach the levels PJNB listed above, but for sure it is a rare poster and highly valued.

Don't rush it, but you may be able to find a deal for it very soon, I'm sure you have already started getting some PM's.

If you list your ISO, you could potentially find a deal for it today, who knows.

Either way, good luck and let everyone know how it turns out.

Wow OP, consider your self super lucky. Just think a few days ago before opening your mystery box, you didn't have this 'dilemma' :).

As you mentioned, either list on ebay for .99 cents (with a % of proceeds going to charity) and let the market drive the price. Then you can probably purchase your ISO poster.

Or list your ISO here and see if you can trade for what you are looking to find.

I don't believe it is signed/numbered so it may not reach the levels PJNB listed above, but for sure it is a rare poster and highly valued.

Don't rush it, but you may be able to find a deal for it very soon, I'm sure you have already started getting some PM's.

If you list your ISO, you could potentially find a deal for it today, who knows.

Either way, good luck and let everyone know how it turns out.

Ya I was only quoting what the uncut version has sold for. Good luck on your search OP. Give a little more info here what you are looking for and someone will help you out guaranteed.
  • Congrats on scoring 2 good posters.  Don't let the fact that you have already made a trade for the other poster have any influence on what you do with the Riot Act poster.  

Don't overthink it, don't feel like you are doing something wrong by trading (or selling) something that belongs to you.
    Thank you! The only reason I mentioned the other trade is because now, I don't know what I'd trade for since I already have my two most wanted posters! (Well, other than a couple of 1998 posters from shows I went to but let's not great ridiculous!) So this other ISO I would kind of like to have, but realistically don't know if I'd have space for it, and I'd certainly hang the others first.
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,203
    PJNB said:
    Is this your poster? If it is, it is worth a lot more then 200$. The reason I ask is because you say that it is huge. If it the cut version with the Riot Act only on it then I would just try to trade it for what you are looking for.

That is the poster I received in my MB and is actually my picture too!

Would love to make a trade happen for anyone looking for the uncut variant.
    SJD3232 said:
    PJNB said:

Sorry I stole it off google search and after that I  noticed it came from a post from these forums. Hope you don't mind!
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,203
    PJNB said:
    SJD3232 said:
    PJNB said:

Sorry I stole it off google search and after that I  noticed it came from a post from these forums. Hope you don't mind!
    I could care less !
  • Am I the only one who thinks that poster is hideous? Might be appropriate in a cement-walled bathroom. I personally wouldn't pay OG prices for it but, then again, i've never been one to collect sheep. 
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    Trade it for something you really want. Don't settle.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,073
    trade away! congrats on the unique score
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    Demetrios has been in search of that poster for quite some time. Pm him if you sell.  Remember that some people like him, if you treat decent without gouging price, may return the favor by helping you find any of your potential grails in the future.  Good karma can go a long way here.  Good luck in your decision.  :peace:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,118
    PP193448 said:
    Demetrios has been in search of that poster for quite some time. Pm him if you sell.  Remember that some people like him, if you treat decent without gouging price, may return the favor by helping you find any of your potential grails in the future.  Good karma can go a long way here.  Good luck in your decision.  :peace:
    @demetrios