Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Pearl Jam Round 1

1235»

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    Wasted Reprise
    I don't get the dislike of Parachutes. That would fit right in with some of the quiet tracks of The White Album. 

Funny you say that. I've always thought of the Beatles when I hear it. Particularly the opening guitar.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    Wasted Reprise
    rgambs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Looking like Wasted Reprise, Big Wave and Parachutes are destined for first round elimination. Don't dislike any of them but probably the right three choices.
    Maybe, it makes more sense than some other first rounds.
    I think both Big Wave and Parachutes are much easier on the ear than Unemployable, but it has some strong lyrics.  It has some odd/clunky lyrics as well though.
    I think 9/10 people surveyed on the street would eliminate Unemployable, but what do they know?
    I might be that 1/10 who doesn't. Unemployable works for me. Big Wave is a little rough. Good song, but some of the vocals lean towards screaming Ed and that isn't my favorite Ed. Not a bad song though.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,070
    Comatose
    I don't get the dislike of Parachutes. That would fit right in with some of the quiet tracks of The White Album. 
    Says someone voting for Gone. :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited May 2017
    Big Wave
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am guaranteed to be a bit disappointed by this one early, since Parachutes is probably my favorite song on the album. :lol: But I dig this album - I like or love every song besides Big Wave, which just doesn't do it for me at all. It's just an annoyance in the middle of an otherwise enjoyable album.
    Maybe you need to be a surfer to like it? ;)
    If you don't like big wave does that mean you don't like oceans or amongst the waves since it's about surfing?
    I think both of those songs have a much deeper meaning - they or more metaphorical. Big Wave isn't.. I mean, one could argue that it could have deeper meaning, and I would understand what they mean, but I still wouldn't be buying it, lol. But at any rate, I do not like Amongst the Waves one bit, not because it has a connection to surfing (but still with a deeper meaning). I don't like it because it's cheezy to me and doesn't sound so good. Oceans is pretty good, not amazing, and again not just about surfing. Now, Gremmie Out of Control is indeed all about surfing, and I'm not a fan of that song, but I can at least appreciate the humour of it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Big Wave
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am guaranteed to be a bit disappointed by this one early, since Parachutes is probably my favorite song on the album. :lol: But I dig this album - I like or love every song besides Big Wave, which just doesn't do it for me at all. It's just an annoyance in the middle of an otherwise enjoyable album.
    Yeah, that's what I've always thought. My reaction to the song is "I don't give a flying fuck if you caught a big wave." :lol: I'm sure if I was super into surfing I'd think it was awesome that PJ has a couple songs all about it.
    for me, sometimes I like a song with deep meaning, and other times, I can appreciate just a fun rock song. I really actually enjoy all of PJ's "fun rock songs", but I understand why most don't. 
    I like a lot of fun rock songs. I just really don't like Big Wave in particular and really don't give a flying fuck if he caught a big wave. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Big Wave
    Big Wave isn't *just* about surfing, ya know. 

The oceans made me but who came up with love?
    It's evolution, baby!
    Yeah yeah, lol. :tongue:
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Gone
    Ha! Touché. But Gone is just...so...bad. Especially on the album. It tries to be big and epic but it all feels so flat. I love the music of the song, but the execution in the studio was not there. Better lyrics, arrangement, and production could lead to an amazing song. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    Wasted Reprise
    I love how we're all music producers around here :) "Hey Ed, maybe give this one another take and change this line." Clearly we all have different takes on what a good Pearl Jam song is. Probably why they are such a great band. Love hearing why people like/dislike certain songs. It makes me think a little bit more about those songs when I listen to them and see if I'm missing something or reading in to it too much.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Unemployable
    Ha! Touché. But Gone is just...so...bad. Especially on the album. It tries to be big and epic but it all feels so flat. I love the music of the song, but the execution in the studio was not there. Better lyrics, arrangement, and production could lead to an amazing song. 
    I just listened to self titled again and you know, you are right...gone is pretty bad.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Wasted Reprise
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    If you don't like big wave does that mean you don't like oceans or amongst the waves since it's about surfing?
    I think both of those songs have a much deeper meaning - they or more metaphorical. Big Wave isn't.. I mean, one could argue that it could have deeper meaning, and I would understand what they mean, but I still wouldn't be buying it, lol. But at any rate, I do not like Amongst the Waves one bit, not because it has a connection to surfing (but still with a deeper meaning). I don't like it because it's cheezy to me and doesn't sound so good. Oceans is pretty good, not amazing, and again not just about surfing. Now, Gremmie Out of Control is indeed all about surfing, and I'm not a fan of that song, but I can at least appreciate the humour of it.
    BLASPHEMER!!!!! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Gone
    mcgruff10 said:
    I just listened to self titled again and you know, you are right...gone is pretty bad.
    Dang right, man. That's how I feel about half of this album. The good are great (Life Wasted) but the bad (Gone) are awful. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Unemployable
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dang right, man. That's how I feel about half of this album. The good are great (Life Wasted) but the bad (Gone) are awful. 
    that's how I feel about riot act.  self-titled was a nice recovery after two pretty lackluster albums.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,520
    Wasted Reprise
    You can hear me at the first second scream " come on my boy"..
    https://youtu.be/98771CKZOT4
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Parachutes
    Big Wave, Wasted Reprise, and Parachutes eliminated in Round 1.
This discussion has been closed.