Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Pearl Jam Round 1

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    Unemployable
    23scidoo said:
    People vote as weakest inside job!!!someone call 911!!!lock em up and throw the keys!!!!!
    10c is full of lunatics Dimi..
    yeah those greeks....;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,046
    Wasted Reprise
    too easy
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Wasted Reprise
    As someone who almost always prefers a rocker to a slow song I really love inside job. It's in my top 5-8 pj songs. I was hoping for it all 2016 tour. I'd never heard it live. It was such an amazing moment when I saw Steve Gleason on stage before the show at wrigley. I knew it was coming. Then to see Mike with the double guitar....  goosebumps. Love this song so much. I've cried at pj concerts a couple of times. That was one of them. I was up very close to the rail and was having a blast with friends I'd just met but feel like I'd known forever. There was a real emotional bond that happened during that song among all of these friends/strangers.

IMO it's Mikes masterpiece. It's a gift that I'm so grateful he decided to share with us. He could have kept this one for himself. 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    Wasted Reprise
    As someone who almost always prefers a rocker to a slow song I really love inside job. It's in my top 5-8 pj songs. I was hoping for it all 2016 tour. I'd never heard it live. It was such an amazing moment when I saw Steve Gleason on stage before the show at wrigley. I knew it was coming. Then to see Mike with the double guitar....  goosebumps. Love this song so much. I've cried at pj concerts a couple of times. That was one of them. I was up very close to the rail and was having a blast with friends I'd just met but feel like I'd known forever. There was a real emotional bond that happened during that song among all of these friends/strangers.

IMO it's Mikes masterpiece. It's a gift that I'm so grateful he decided to share with us. He could have kept this one for himself. 
    Wow, that's a great experience for you. I agree with you on this one, great song. I'm not sure why so many people are citing the lyrics as an issue. They're not as profound or deep as Binaural era songs, but still a good straight forward message. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Unemployable
    Inside Job vs. Severed Hand for the final round... 
    I seriously hope not that, would suck.
    Throw Gone in and you have my three most detested songs in the catalog. 
    How the fuck can you detest enough Pearl Jam songs to have a top 3 most detested songs??

This place gives me heartburn.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    Wasted Reprise
    rgambs said:
    How the fuck can you detest enough Pearl Jam songs to have a top 3 most detested songs??

Assuming (hoping?) this is just a poor choice of words. Detest is...strong.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Unemployable
    JimmyV said:
    rgambs said:

Assuming (hoping?) this is just a poor choice of words. Detest is...strong.
    No doubt, I assume that it was hyperbole, but damn lol

These threads have been fun, but it has been painful seeing how many people truly dislike/detest/hate so much of a catalogue that is so stellar.

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Wasted Reprise
    There isn't a song in the catalog that I detest (or any other negative adjective). The band believed in every single one of them enough to put them on the records and they're all a part of the larger puzzle. I may tire of certain ones from time to time, but they'll play one of those live and add something new or play a part differently and the song in question sounds fresh all over again. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Wasted Reprise
    There isn't a song in the catalog that I detest (or any other negative adjective). The band believed in every single one of them enough to put them on the records and they're all a part of the larger puzzle. I may tire of certain ones from time to time, but they'll play one of those live and add something new or play a part differently and the song in question sounds fresh all over again. 
    Ole? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Unemployable
    sweet lew?
  • Options
    Wasted Reprise
    mcgruff10 said:
    sweet lew?
    I honestly don't mind that song. I like Jeff's work. I just am not a fan personally of people other than Ed singing PJ songs. Would love to hear Ed sing Mankind, for example. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Unemployable
    Agreed, and from an objective standpoint, none of the songs that have been described as "bad" or "terrible" actually are bad or terrible.
  • Options
    Unemployable
    rgambs said:
    Agreed, and from an objective standpoint, none of the songs that have been described as "bad" or "terrible" actually are bad or terrible.
    except for "you are" since I don't do drugs.  ;)
  • Options
    Unemployable
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Hahaha nope, You Are still wrong on that one!  Stone sober that song kicks ass!
    That's a love making song right there.
  • Options
    Wasted Reprise
    Ole? 
    I like Ole, it jams! Sweet Lew, I prefer the alternate version, but I like the one on Lost Dogs as well. I didn't agree with some of the re-recorded/alternate versions of a few songs on that record, but the originals leaked and I already had a lot of them, so I was able to mix it to my liking.  :) Perspective is everything..
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,745
    rgambs said:

Yellow Ledbetter
    Sirens 
    Just Breathe

But after 3 it becomes a just not a fan of...
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,745
    Speaking of which my vote for this round is:

World Wide Suicide 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Wasted Reprise
    Ole? 
    I like Ole, it jams! Sweet Lew, I prefer the alternate version, but I like the one on Lost Dogs as well. I didn't agree with some of the re-recorded/alternate versions of a few songs on that record, but the originals leaked and I already had a lot of them, so I was able to mix it to my liking.  :) Perspective is everything..
    so do I. I thought I was the only one that liked it. i was stoked when they played it in Winnipeg 2011. 

I've never heard an alternate version of Sweet Lew. What was that on?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Wasted Reprise
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    You don't need drugs to enjoy this song. I remember when this first came out, I played it for somebody who gave me the typical "I like Ten and Vs." response I got a lot back then when I mentioned PJ. He was impressed and excited about the experimentation of it and asked me to copy the record for him. Neither of us were high, unless you're counting espresso as a drug...lol
  • Options
    Parachutes
    Ole? 
    Horrendous.

And don't ever be in the front row not rocking to it- Ed will tear you a new one. Just smile and wave, people. Smile... and freaking... wave.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    Wasted Reprise
    Looking like Wasted Reprise, Big Wave and Parachutes are destined for first round elimination. Don't dislike any of them but probably the right three choices.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Wasted Reprise
    Ole? 
    Horrendous.

And don't ever be in the front row not rocking to it- Ed will tear you a new one. Just smile and wave, people. Smile... and freaking... wave.

I still can’t help but wonder why
    I’m feeling laughed at by the sky
    What do you say, meditate?
    Meditate, Olé!

Too soon? lol

Yeah, being on the receiving end of Ed's ire would suck, for sure... 
  • Options
    Unemployable
    JimmyV said:
    Looking like Wasted Reprise, Big Wave and Parachutes are destined for first round elimination. Don't dislike any of them but probably the right three choices.
    Maybe, it makes more sense than some other first rounds.
    I think both Big Wave and Parachutes are much easier on the ear than Unemployable, but it has some strong lyrics.  It has some odd/clunky lyrics as well though.
    I think 9/10 people surveyed on the street would eliminate Unemployable, but what do they know?
  • Options
    Wasted Reprise
    Ole? 
    so do I. I thought I was the only one that liked it. i was stoked when they played it in Winnipeg 2011. 

I've never heard an alternate version of Sweet Lew. What was that on?
    That same mix from Gremmie.net I mentioned a few weeks back. It really is one of my favorite internet finds!

http://www.gremmie.net/patchwork/anything-in-between

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Marker In The Sand
    After Gone is...well, gone, I'm setting my sights on that God awful Inside Job. I get what they were trying to do but the execution in the studio and especially live just isn't there. Sorry D. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

• Options
    Unemployable
    After Gone is...well, gone, I'm setting my sights on that God awful Inside Job. I get what they were trying to do but the execution in the studio and especially live just isn't there. Sorry D. 

Bro you voted marker in the first round!!!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Marker In The Sand
    mcgruff10 said:

Bro you voted marker in the first round!!!
    Indeed.  The love for that song has always puzzled me.  It's probably the song I like least of the entire catalog.  (But I don't dislike it).
  • Options
    Wasted Reprise
    Ole? 
    Horrendous.

the song has a great driving beat. it's just the "ole" part that I think people don't dig. which I get. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Unemployable
    Ole? 
    Horrendous.

the song has a great driving beat. it's just the "ole" part that I think people don't dig. which I get. 
    Here are english and spanish lyrics just in case you'd like to be more well rounded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kABgBFqtRvU
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Gone
    I don't get the dislike of Parachutes. That would fit right in with some of the quiet tracks of The White Album. 
This discussion has been closed.