Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    Umcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Left on social issues, right on economics. Left on environment, right on second amendment. 
    Left on a lot of social, but not all, some I'm decently far right.  Right on economics mostly.  Center on environment...been moving left compared to the maintstream right.  Far left on 2nd amendment.
    Can someone tell me what right on economics is? Because to me it's corporate handouts and deficit spending. 
    To me it is nicely summarized by the term "trickle down economics", which is, of course, a myth than the right keeps dreaming about. It's like the unicorn of economics, and Republicans believe in unicorns.
    Did you know that democrats made that phrase up in the 1980's (although it was first used during the Hoover days)?  And has anyone used that phrase since 1992? lol
    David Stockman, Reagan's budget director, coined the term. He has since renounced the theory as it doesn't work.
    of course it doesn't!  
    Someone should tell Trump.
    Hey I'm for tax cuts on all levels.  Shit I pay just under $11 grand a year in property taxes for a 2100 square foot house on less than a 1/4 acre.  There's too much government on all levels, trim the fat!
    That is completely ridiculous. My property taxes are 1/10 of that on 3x the lot, but I also live in Trumpville...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited May 2017
    Never mind
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    tbergs said:
    Umcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Left on social issues, right on economics. Left on environment, right on second amendment. 
    Left on a lot of social, but not all, some I'm decently far right.  Right on economics mostly.  Center on environment...been moving left compared to the maintstream right.  Far left on 2nd amendment.
    Can someone tell me what right on economics is? Because to me it's corporate handouts and deficit spending. 
    To me it is nicely summarized by the term "trickle down economics", which is, of course, a myth than the right keeps dreaming about. It's like the unicorn of economics, and Republicans believe in unicorns.
    Did you know that democrats made that phrase up in the 1980's (although it was first used during the Hoover days)?  And has anyone used that phrase since 1992? lol
    David Stockman, Reagan's budget director, coined the term. He has since renounced the theory as it doesn't work.
    of course it doesn't!  
    Hey I'm for tax cuts on all levels.  Shit I pay just under $11 grand a year in property taxes for a 2100 square foot house on less than a 1/4 acre.  There's too much government on all levels, trim the fat!
    That is completely ridiculous. My property taxes are 1/10 of that on 3x the lot, but I also live in Trumpville...
    Yeah New Jersey is out of control. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hm. Seems they didn't, according to another post? Anyway, I don't care who coined it. It is a good term.
    Yes, it is still a common term. It perfectly describes the ridiculous belief on the part of the Republicans that giving more to the rich benefits everybody. It's crazy shit, but they still obviously believe it (well, the idiot Republican masses believe it anyway. The Republican politicians very likely know it's bullshit and just work to keep the masses believing it's true, lol).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,654
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    Umcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    of course it doesn't!  

You should be railing against your BridgeGate governor then, yes?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    Umcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    of course it doesn't!  

Yeah, property taxes are determined by the state/province and the municipality/city/whatever. The governor is the target, and so is your mayor..... I bet if state and local taxes were increased for the richest instead of lowered, your property taxes wouldn't be so high. Instead it's the other way around. Gotta love right wing economics!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    Umcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    of course it doesn't!  

He s been saying for nearly 8 years that he was gonna cut property taxes.  I'm still waiting for mine to go down.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    Umcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    of course it doesn't!  

Yeah, property taxes are determined by the state/province and the municipality/city/whatever. The governor is the target, and so is your mayor..... I bet if state and local taxes were increased for the richest instead of lowered, your property taxes wouldn't be so high. Instead it's the other way around. Gotta love right wing economics!
    I'm pretty sure it isn't right wing economics since new jersey has been deep blue for decades.
    I could care less who created it but something must be done.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I think Jersey is purple at best, if you really look at it's recent history, and now with a Republican governor for a while now. Not sure who your mayor is (are mayors democrats or republicans in the USA?? That isn't how it works where I am) .... But anyway, what's a reasonable property tax? What percentage of your assessment are you paying now? $11,000 seems VERY excessive unless your home is worth a LOT. Are you sure you're not including your utility fees and shit like that?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    Umcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    of course it doesn't!  

I'm pretty sure it isn't right wing economics since new jersey has been deep blue for decades.
    I could care less who created it but something must be done.
    You've had a Republican governor for seven years now. I think they share some responsibility for the current economic situation. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I pay a tenth of that for 5 acres!! 
    Ahhh the perks of living closer to literal ant hills than figurative human ant hills.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Jersey is purple at best, if you really look at it's recent history, and now with a Republican governor for a while now. Not sure who your mayor is (are mayors democrats or republicans in the USA?? That isn't how it works where I am) .... But anyway, what's a reasonable property tax? What percentage of your assessment are you paying now? $11,000 seems VERY excessive unless your home is worth a LOT. Are you sure you're not including your utility fees and shit like that?
    Allie,
    Trust me, new jersey is very very blue.  We might have a republican governor but it's blue through and through.  Pretty sure we haven't voted red in a presidential election since H was elected.  
    My current mayor is a democrat but the council is republican.
    Reasonable property tax?  No clue but I know it's not mine.  tbergs said his is waaaay lower than mine and has a much bigger property.  New Jersey has the highest property taxes in the nation.  
    My taxes are nothing compared to counties that lie right outside of new york.  The same house as mine might pay 15 or 16 grand a year in property taxes with even less property.
    And i'm positive utility fees are not included in it lol.
    My house is assessed around $420,000...not that much.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Allie,
    Trust me, new jersey is very very blue.  We might have a republican governor but it's blue through and through.  Pretty sure we haven't voted red in a presidential election since H was elected.  
    Reasonable property tax?  No clue but I know it's not mine.  tbergs said his is waaaay lower than mine and has a much bigger property.  New Jersey has the highest property taxes in the nation.  
    My taxes are nothing compared to counties that lie right outside of new york.  The same house as mine might pay 15 or 16 grand a year in property taxes with even less property.
    That's still way too high. My house is half that value, but if you put it in the big city, same price easy, which is why we moved to the sticks. City taxes were still more around the 4 - 5 thousand for that lot size unless you had water front and then they get ridiculous. Property taxes is always one of the first things I look at when buying a house because they can easily kill any price saving you're getting on the house.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Allie,
    That's still way too high. My house is half that value, but if you put it in the big city, same price easy, which is why we moved to the sticks. City taxes were still more around the 4 - 5 thousand for that lot size unless you had water front and then they get ridiculous. Property taxes is always one of the first things I look at when buying a house because they can easily kill any price saving you're getting on the house.
    It's ridiculously high.  
    If you put my house 30 miles south it's worth maybe 300.  If you put my house in Bergen or Essex county (right outside nyc) then it's $650-$850 and taxes would be around 22-25 grand depending on the town. 
    Why am I thinking you are from Minnesota?  
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    just a thought: the supporters on the right seems to voice their opinions and concerns in a more quite civil kind of way like voting and peaceful rally's for the most part, I'm sure there a few right wingers that acted stupid but... the leftist seem to want to destroy public and private property, block freeways and handle their anger with violence but I'm sure this has been the Democratic way from day one. any thoughts on why the left and right are so different ?
    what difference does it make?

we are americans. and if we sink or swim we are doing it together as americans.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Allie,
    It's ridiculously high.  
    If you put my house 30 miles south it's worth maybe 300.  If you put my house in Bergen or Essex county (right outside nyc) then it's $650-$850 and taxes would be around 22-25 grand depending on the town. 
    Because I am ;) The lovely city of St. Paul formerly was our home and now 30 miles south. Commute sucks sometimes, but we save a ton in price/acre and house. We couldn't afford anything we really liked in the city. Hate the carbon footprint and miss my bike commute though. Keep pushing for those lower property taxes. There should be some real obvious perks to paying that much.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,663
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    of course it doesn't!  
    That's local. You probably live in New Jersey?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wish there were a common-sense option.

(thank you, Dad)
  • Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    edited May 2017
    Just going to be nice.
    Post edited by mattsl1983 on
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Allie,
    It's ridiculously high.  
    Because I am ;) The lovely city of St. Paul formerly was our home and now 30 miles south. Commute sucks sometimes, but we save a ton in price/acre and house. We couldn't afford anything we really liked in the city. Hate the carbon footprint and miss my bike commute though. Keep pushing for those lower property taxes. There should be some real obvious perks to paying that much.

lol 
    I own a 2BR condo inside Minneapolis city limits. My mortgage is less than some of these people's property taxes. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Ahhh the perks of living closer to literal ant hills than figurative human ant hills.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    You couldn't pay me to live in a large city, I need some land and space.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    that' s awesome!  When I retire I'd love to move out west and have a few dozen acres.  Are you from Ohio bud?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    Funny thing about living in the city,  they designate certain spaces and parcels of land for public use.  Plenty of room to spread out.  It's not all concrete jungle you know.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    that' s awesome!  When I retire I'd love to move out west and have a few dozen acres.  Are you from Ohio bud?
    Yessir, born and raised an hour south of Canton off the I77 corridor Tuscarawas County, out by Tappan and Clendening lakes.  Now I am over 1 county, Carroll County, by Atwood and Leesville lakes.  It isn't beautiful like out west, but it is a lush deciduous ecosystem with plenty of hills and a great climate.  
    It's quiet and inexpensive out here.  It's about as close to apocalypse proof as you can get.  Not that I'm a prepper, I just like the simple life.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    2 acre yard, 3 acres of woods, a 3 bed 2 bath manufactured home on a full basement, a 4 car garage/barn and our very own natural gas well for 95,000$ and 1,200$ annual property tax.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Funny thing about living in the city,  they designate certain spaces and parcels of land for public use.  Plenty of room to spread out.  It's not all concrete jungle you know.
    I gotta agree with Unsung, having some shared space isn't comparable to being able to manage your own private space.
    Everyone is different, not everyone is accustomed to or desirous of country life, but there's no comparison.

You can't alter public spaces, you can't harvest anything but recreation from the land, you have to deal with other people's trash and misuse, you can't even get your hoot n holler on!
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    just a thought: the supporters on the right seems to voice their opinions and concerns in a more quite civil kind of way like voting and peaceful rally's for the most part, I'm sure there a few right wingers that acted stupid but... the leftist seem to want to destroy public and private property, block freeways and handle their anger with violence but I'm sure this has been the Democratic way from day one. any thoughts on why the left and right are so different ?

well now...that post just changed the landscape, you are absolutely right Gimmi.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,654

well now...that post just changed the landscape, you are absolutely right Gimmi.
    Care to share your birth certificate?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    rgambs said:
    2 acre yard, 3 acres of woods, a 3 bed 2 bath manufactured home on a full basement, a 4 car garage/barn and our very own natural gas well for 95,000$ and 1,200$ annual property tax.
    You pay property tax?!
    You're  such a governmentist!!