Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    JC29856 said:
    Remember that time when Trump said he'd have the best government? Remember that? Do you remember? Do you remember how many key appointments haven't been filled? Yea, kinda cool, right? Remember.

https://youtu.be/LeiFF0gvqcc
    that was so awful....brought back painful memories of the first time I saw that video.  Which was also the last time I saw that video.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    JC29856 said:
    Remember that time when Trump said he'd have the best government? Remember that? Do you remember? Do you remember how many key appointments haven't been filled? Yea, kinda cool, right? Remember.

that was so awful....brought back painful memories of the first time I saw that video.  Which was also the last time I saw that video.  
    I remember seeing it as a 12 year old and feeling violated. I like the song, but the video is weird.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    tbergs said:
    JC29856 said:

I remember seeing it as a 12 year old and feeling violated. I like the song, but the video is weird.
    Anytime I hear the song I see the video...can't shake it.  There were lots of bad videos back then though.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    edited August 2017
    tbergs said:
    Wow.....Gallup down to 34%?
    Still can't believe it's that high. The Republican support is pathetic. How can 3 out of 4 be in favor of him?
    Whenever I see those numbers I feel good about my original assertion that Trump's base is ultimately a bunch of greedy rich bastards, dumb fools, or racists. They simply will not change.

If his base was anything but one of the three aforementioned... in other words the 'disenfranchised seeking change' that gets trotted out there as an explanation... they'd be aghast like any other normal human being and those numbers would be skewed in a colossal manner.

The Gallup should be down to 10%. And the Republican party should be taking steps to regenerate themselves and bring credibility to their party. That being said... if it is all about winning... they managed to do it. They caught democrats sleeping at the wheel. This situation is embarrassing for all.

A lot of these people were so dug-in with their consistent hatred for Obama... and also Hillary that there is no going back.  Way too invested.  Many hated Trump during the primaries, but once he toppled Bush, then Rubio, then Cruz/Kasich, they came home to roost.  Where else would they go?  But.... "the supreme court nominations" justified electing a dimwit.  
    A lot of these people have a tribal/team identity with the Republican brand.  For some people it makes them feel successful and good about themselves as the Republican brand is about big business.  Some people it is a deep rooted distrust of the government and they are too stupid to realize that Republicans are equally as big-government.  Some people get a hard-on for the Nationalistic/Militaristic/ultra-fake-patriotic tones.  Some people measure success by how mad the 'libs' get.  Some is handed down generationally.

There is just no budging with most of them.  They would literally eat a shit sandwich is it had an (R) next to it (and they recently did).  Democrats have these people too.... but IMO it is much less and people are more apt to thinking pragmatically.  For instance.... Im a 'lib'.... unaffiliated.... but I think if someone like Rand or Ron Paul ran (R) on a decent platform, I could easily buy in.  I also like Kasich for the most part.  People opposite of me are incapable of gray thought or give and take.  

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,473
    edited August 2017
    MayDay10 said:
    tbergs said:
    Wow.....Gallup down to 34%?
    Still can't believe it's that high. The Republican support is pathetic. How can 3 out of 4 be in favor of him?
    Whenever I see those numbers I feel good about my original assertion that Trump's base is ultimately a bunch of greedy rich bastards, dumb fools, or racists. They simply will not change.

If his base was anything but one of the three aforementioned... in other words the 'disenfranchised seeking change' that gets trotted out there as an explanation... they'd be aghast like any other normal human being and those numbers would be skewed in a colossal manner.

The Gallup should be down to 10%. And the Republican party should be taking steps to regenerate themselves and bring credibility to their party. That being said... if it is all about winning... they managed to do it. They caught democrats sleeping at the wheel. This situation is embarrassing for all.

A lot of these people were so dug-in with their consistent hatred for Obama... and also Hillary that there is no going back.  Way too invested.  Many hated Trump during the primaries, but once he toppled Bush, then Rubio, then Cruz/Kasich, they came home to roost.  Where else would they go?  But.... "the supreme court nominations" justified electing a dimwit.  
    A lot of these people have a tribal/team identity with the Republican brand.  For some people it makes them feel successful and good about themselves as the Republican brand is about big business.  Some people it is a deep rooted distrust of the government and they are too stupid to realize that Republicans are equally as big-government.  Some people get a hard-on for the Nationalistic/Militaristic/ultra-fake-patriotic tones.  Some people measure success by how mad the 'libs' get.  Some is handed down generationally.

There is just no budging with most of them.  They would literally eat a shit sandwich is it had an (R) next to it (and they recently did).  Democrats have these people too.... but IMO it is much less and people are more apt to thinking pragmatically.  For instance.... Im a 'lib'.... unaffiliated.... but I think if someone like Rand or Ron Paul ran (R) on a decent platform, I could easily buy in.  I also like Kasich for the most part.  People opposite of me are incapable of gray thought or give and take.  

Agreed. But also....while it feels like 7 years, its only 7 months and these numbers are already historically low. The longer we go with nothing getting done and the president embarrassing us on a daily basis, the lower these approval figures will go.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    The approval rating has bottomed out.  There's nobody left that will ever abandon him.  A third of the country loves every second of this.  And that's why he might win in 2020 and why people like his children or Richard Spencer* may be president some day.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    They will keep evaporating, as the more 'central' Republicans jump ship.  But very diminished returns at this time.  Economy remains good and relative peace-time.  Once there are bad reports from Afghanistan (who are like the 85 Bears in vexing superpowers)... and/if the economy recesses a bit, losses will be more pronounced.  "Fake news" can only go so far as a platform.

I would say as it is, we could get to 30% approval.  Economy recedes, maybe 20s.

We will see what happens with the Mueller investigation too.  If its bad, then I could see Congressional Republicans turning on him to salvage the party and many civilians.  It could essentially lead to a civil war within the party if they want to primary the 2020 election and/or broach the impeachment conversation.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    and this:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/kasich-hickenlooper-2020-unity-ticket/index.html

Personally, I would be on board with this 100%.  I hope this happens and this would crumble the 2-party system.... as well as place a good man in the white house

I guess worst case is it collects all the educateds and centrists..... few 'dems' remain to vote along the line...  and the uneducated fools will still support the buffoon and he would win the "reality show" by a war of attrition.  Maybe jerry the king lawler or freddy krueger can run and spread out the idiot vote
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    The approval rating has bottomed out.  There's nobody left that will ever abandon him.  A third of the country loves every second of this.  And that's why he might win in 2020 and why people like his children or Richard Spencer* may be president some day.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/7-rules-for-reading-trumps-approval-rating/

Proposition No. 2: Be wary of claims that Trump has hit his approval rating ‘floor’ — so far, his numbers have been declining, not holding steady.But let’s not lose sight of the big picture. Despite the relatively small shift after Charlottesville, the overall trend in Trump’s numbers so far has been toward decline. In fact, a simple linear trend line captures most of the variation in his approval ratings so far2Specifically, it captures 87 percent of the variation, based on the coefficient of determination. and implies that his approval ratings are dropping slightly more than 1 percentage point per month.3The chart uses our approval rating calculation for Trump from Jan. 27 (a week after his inauguration) onward. Before Jan. 27, Trump’s approval rating was somewhat erratic from day to day because few pollsters had published completed surveys. If Trump were to continue losing ground at this rate — though he probably won’t (see below) — it would be truly catastrophic for him, as his numbers would fall into the low 20s by midterms.That’s not to say the daily and weekly fluctuations in Trump’s approval ratings are noise, necessarily. Many of them reflect responses to real news events. Sometimes Trump’s rating will decline for a week or two after a negative news story and then partly recover. But if you repeatedly take one step forward and two steps back, you wind up losing a lot of ground over the long run.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,733
    MayDay10 said:
    and this:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/kasich-hickenlooper-2020-unity-ticket/index.html

Personally, I would be on board with this 100%.  I hope this happens and this would crumble the 2-party system.... as well as place a good man in the white house

I guess worst case is it collects all the educateds and centrists..... few 'dems' remain to vote along the line...  and the uneducated fools will still support the buffoon and he would win the "reality show" by a war of attrition.

MayDay10 said:
    and this:

I guess worst case is it collects all the educateds and centrists..... few 'dems' remain to vote along the line...  and the uneducated fools will still support the buffoon and he would win the "reality show" by a war of attrition.
    Being on the Dem ticket would be the only option, otherwise they would pull votes away from whomever the D is and we'll have another idiot Republican president. The electoral system is designed to be two party. 
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    OnWis97 said:
    I tend to agree, the ratings have nowhere to go but up. As for 2020, it will be a record turnout but he will lose, bigly.
    Im hoping for a rematch!

• Options
    JC29856 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I tend to agree, the ratings have nowhere to go but up. As for 2020, it will be a record turnout but he will lose, bigly.
    Im hoping for a rematch!

Why would 2020 be a record turnout? You might have record Dem turnout if there's an Obama '08 level candidate, but Republicans will have their shame override any excitement about trump/pence. 
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Im hoping for a rematch!

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/7-rules-for-reading-trumps-approval-rating/

Proposition No. 2: Be wary of claims that Trump has hit his approval rating ‘floor’ — so far, his numbers have been declining, not holding steady.

But let’s not lose sight of the big picture. Despite the relatively small shift after Charlottesville, the overall trend in Trump’s numbers so far has been toward decline. In fact, a simple linear trend line captures most of the variation in his approval ratings so far2

Specifically, it captures 87 percent of the variation, based on the coefficient of determination.

and implies that his approval ratings are dropping slightly more than 1 percentage point per month.3

The chart uses our approval rating calculation for Trump from Jan. 27 (a week after his inauguration) onward. Before Jan. 27, Trump’s approval rating was somewhat erratic from day to day because few pollsters had published completed surveys.

If Trump were to continue losing ground at this rate — though he probably won’t (see below) — it would be truly catastrophic for him, as his numbers would fall into the low 20s by midterms.

That’s not to say the daily and weekly fluctuations in Trump’s approval ratings are noise, necessarily. Many of them reflect responses to real news events. Sometimes Trump’s rating will decline for a week or two after a negative news story and then partly recover. But if you repeatedly take one step forward and two steps back, you wind up losing a lot of ground over the long run.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Someone on here said that in defending Trump's numbers, it allows a path for Richard Spencer to get elected. 

Let's just soak that up for a minute. He's literally saying his belief is that Trump and his numbers make a legitimate white supremacist, capable of winning the highest office in our country. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    Someone on here said that in defending Trump's numbers, it allows a path for Richard Spencer to get elected. 

Let's just soak that up for a minute. He's literally saying his belief is that Trump and his numbers make a legitimate white supremacist, capable of winning the highest office in our country. 
    Not going to happen nor is Trump getting re-elected. There's a whole lot of buyers remorse out there. And a whole lot of folks who will never admit to voting for Trump. They won't do it again.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Not going to happen nor is Trump getting re-elected. There's a whole lot of buyers remorse out there. And a whole lot of folks who will never admit to voting for Trump. They won't do it again.
    I wish I had that faith. There's also a whole lot of ignorance (and I mean that literally - people who are profoundly ignorant of the situation) and a whole lot of "nyah nyah we beat those snowflakes!", regardless of the damage that "win" is doing to the US. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590

What is a "legitimate white supremacist"?
  • Options

Loud and proud?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Hard to explain. I see Trump as a guy who dips his toes in the racist pool because he's a moron. He thinks he's pandering to his base. Guys like Spencer and these other guys eat, sleep, and breathe white supremacy. I don't get that from Trump. I think Trump certainly has racist tendencies that he foolishly exposes, but in the most part he's a moron. Maybe being a moron is the dangerous part. It's hard to explain though. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    JC29856 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Im hoping for a rematch!

He might lose.  We might get a rematch.  But we can't have both.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Trump's tweet regarding Hurricane Harvey:

Received a #HurricaneHarvey briefing this morning from Acting @DHSgov Secretary Elaine Duke, @FEMA_Brock@TomBossert45 and COS John Kelly.

It will be interesting to see the comments he makes regarding the hurricane.

'I know some very, very, very good hurricanes'

'I like people who aren't affected by hurricanes'

'"Well, I do think there's blame -- yes, I think there's blame on both sides'

"I watched the hurricane very closely, much more closely than you people watched it.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    OnWis97 said:
    JC29856 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Im hoping for a rematch!

He might lose.  We might get a rematch.  But we can't have both.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

If we end up with a rematch then neither side will deserve to win.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    He's at 34% now, right? I think he can go lower, but not much. When Nixon resigned, he was at 24% approval. Trump won't go that low because of how hyper partisan our country is now. People now equate a President they voted for doing a bad job as a personal shortcoming and they don't want to admit they were wrong. I think 29 or 30 is as low Trump will go, but if it does get that low going into 2018, I think a lot of Republican members of congress run like hell from him. 
  • Options

Received a #HurricaneHarvey briefing this morning from Acting @DHSgov Secretary Elaine Duke, @FEMA_Brock@TomBossert45 and COS John Kelly.

"I watched the hurricane very closely, much more closely than you people watched it.
    "I know more about hurricanes than all the weather people."

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    He's at 34% now, right? I think he can go lower, but not much. When Nixon resigned, he was at 24% approval. Trump won't go that low because of how hyper partisan our country is now. People now equate a President they voted for doing a bad job as a personal shortcoming and they don't want to admit they were wrong. I think 29 or 30 is as low Trump will go, but if it does get that low going into 2018, I think a lot of Republican members of congress run like hell from him. 
    Senators who need to win statewide might. But rank and file Congressmen representing gerrymandered districts? If Trump's approval is at 30% nationally it will still be much higher in rural and deep red districts. They will go along to get along.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

Expect the usual poor leadership in the wake of the destruction. Even with resulting deaths from the hurricane, he won't be able to resist talking about himself and his election victory. Maybe some badmouthing of some congress reps and journalists. 
  • Options

Expect the usual poor leadership in the wake of the destruction. Even with resulting deaths from the hurricane, he won't be able to resist talking about himself and his election victory. Maybe some badmouthing of some congress reps and journalists. 
    Don't forget crooked Hillary and how it's Obama's fault.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    "They had hurricanes when Obama was president too"

• Options
    "Will he show us the beautiful hurricane he send me?" 
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,027

he's going to fuck this up pretty much guaranteed 
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
This discussion has been closed.