Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    brianlux said:
    Unfortunately not news that Mike Love is a piece-of-shit. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    brianlux said:
    Unfortunately not news that Mike Love is a piece-of-shit. 
    He hit on my wife on an airplane when she was about 25.  Was a total douche she said. 
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    The Beach Boys have been hella lame since 1971.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJWmbLS2_ec
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I have never liked the Beach Boys...poppy songs about California and surfing just don't do it for me.  "But Pet Sounds is amazing." Yeah, if you like poppy songs about California and surfing. So at least I have nothing to be disappointed about.

I do like Mike Love's nephew, Kevin Love.  I don't know how he votes but I appreciate his forthrightness in talking about his depression. It's helpful in reducing stigmas around mental health.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I have never liked the Beach Boys...poppy songs about California and surfing just don't do it for me.  "But Pet Sounds is amazing." Yeah, if you like poppy songs about California and surfing. So at least I have nothing to be disappointed about.

I do like Mike Love's nephew, Kevin Love.  I don't know how he votes but I appreciate his forthrightness in talking about his depression. It's helpful in reducing stigmas around mental health.
    As a Cavs fan,  I also like Kevin. 

Also agree that Pet Sounds is overrated.  It sounds very dated and typical Beach Boys to me. There are lots of classic records that sound fresh to this day.  Pet isn't one of them. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

As a Cavs fan,  I also like Kevin. 

Also agree that Pet Sounds is overrated.  It sounds very dated and typical Beach Boys to me. There are lots of classic records that sound fresh to this day.  Pet isn't one of them. 

I'm sure at the time it was a newer type of sound.  I don't get anything out of it now.  A few songs I like.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,729
    I have to remember that it is the God given duty of kids and grandkids to hate music from their parents and grand parents generation.  So before dissing Surfer Girl or  Pet Sounds, maybe stop a moment and think about what you kids or grandkids are going to think about Ten:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Also, before totally dissing post Pet Sounds Beach Boys, consider that Brian Wilson and Al Jardine spoke out against Mike "tRump Lover" Love and check out these marvelous songs:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    brianlux said:
    I have to remember that it is the God given duty of kids and grandkids to hate music from their parents and grand parents generation.  So before dissing Surfer Girl or  Pet Sounds, maybe stop a moment and think about what you kids or grandkids are going to think about Ten:lol:
    And while you're at it get off Brian's lawn
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    brianlux said:
    Assuming lawns, children, grandchildren, or even a future are in the cards for us.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I'm not dissing it,  but I think it hasn't held up over time like Dark Side,  Exile and some other generational records.  I'm sure it was very cutting edge when released,  but the Beach Boys saturated the culture for so long, it just feels meh for those of us that didn't grow up then.  
  • Options

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    I'm not dissing it,  but I think it hasn't held up over time like Dark Side,  Exile and some other generational records.  I'm sure it was very cutting edge when released,  but the Beach Boys saturated the culture for so long, it just feels meh for those of us that didn't grow up then.  

Simply a matter of taste, my friend.  Fore example- I know Exile is revered by many, but personally I'm much more a fan of Sticky Fingers.  And I'm not a fan of Dark Side of the Moon- never really have been- but I appreciate it's quality and the fact that many have love it for a long time.  As for Pet Sounds, I get it that many people are not into it.  But a huge number of people rate it as one of the all-time greatest records ever made. 

But, hey, the one thing most of us (here at least) can agree on is a disdain for Mike Love's love of tRump!

• Options
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    Assuming lawns, children, grandchildren, or even a future are in the cards for us.

Oh Ben, it does feel that gloomy at times these days.  I'm still clinging to the hope that things turn around in the coming months. 

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    AND YOUR A CRIMINAL!........Good luck everybody. Have a good time!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    wow.  I don't even know what to say.  I think the days between nov 3rd and Jan 20 are going to be the worst that 2020 has on tap.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    I'm a millennial and I think Pet Sounds is every bit as good as Dark Side....Exile...well nothing comes close to Exile.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    AND YOUR A CRIMINAL!........Good luck everybody. Have a good time!
    I really don't understand why reporters put up with that shit.  I would throw it right back at him.

• Options
    static111 said:
    wow.  I don't even know what to say.  I think the days between nov 3rd and Jan 20 are going to be the worst that 2020 has on tap.
    I expect some really bad shit.  

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Funny... I almost never listen to Dark Side anymore, and can listen to Pet Sounds practically endlessly. I think it's masterfully produced and pick up new details or intriguing instrumental embellishments in almost every listen that offer tons of unique sounds and properties. 

Here's a great anecdote to that effect from Tony Asher about You Still Believe In Me:
    "We were trying to do something that would sound sort of, I guess, like a harpsichord but a little more ethereal than that. I am plucking the strings by leaning inside the piano and Brian is holding down the notes on the keyboard so they will ring when I pluck them. I plucked the strings with paper clips, hairpins, bobby pins and several other things until Brian got the sound he wanted"
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    static111 said:

What the fuck....
    You say this thinking Trump's going to lose...
    ...and if he does, it's going to be one of the strangest times in our country's history. There are so many possibilities that none of us would have even been able to make up on our best day. 
    • Does he just flee the country Baltimore Colts-style  to escape prosecution?
    • Does he scream about how he actually won? (Of course, but for how long)?
    • Does the rest of the party finally reign in the nonsense or do most of them go all-in on the "it was fixed; just give it to Trump" wagon?
    • Does Barr successfully get the whole thing overturned?
    • Does he resign? Does Pence do any pardoning (to whatever extent it applies).
    • Does he just hang around and play out his term getting crazier and crazier by minute, leading to Nancy and Co. bringing out that 25th Amendment move they've been working on?
    My guess is that even if Biden wins, this madness won't really be November 3 to January 20.  I don't see the election being official in any way in November...with the mail-in votes coming in, Barr's attempts to rig the election after-the-fact, the thread of rogue electors from GOP states going against the vote and going with Trump. I don't see anyone truly knowing that Biden won until the day the electors cast (December 20 or something)?  After that, if somehow Biden is still the winner, then it can start to get crazy...

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    What is projection? ... Ed, LCSW, projection refers to unconsciously taking unwanted emotions or traits you don't like about yourself and attributing them to someone else. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:

What the fuck....
    ...and if he does, it's going to be one of the strangest times in our country's history. There are so many possibilities that none of us would have even been able to make up on our best day. 
    • Does the rest of the party finally reign in the nonsense or do most of them go all-in on the "it was fixed; just give it to Trump" wagon?
    • Does he just hang around and play out his term getting crazier and crazier by minute, leading to Nancy and Co. bringing out that 25th Amendment move they've been working on?
    My guess is that even if Biden wins, this madness won't really be November 3 to January 20.  I don't see the election being official in any way in November...with the mail-in votes coming in, Barr's attempts to rig the election after-the-fact, the thread of rogue electors from GOP states going against the vote and going with Trump. I don't see anyone truly knowing that Biden won until the day the electors cast (December 20 or something)?  After that, if somehow Biden is still the winner, then it can start to get crazy...

I say this not knowing who is going to win...I think if he wins there will still be loads of crazy shit going on. 
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:

What the fuck....

I say this not knowing who is going to win...I think if he wins there will still be loads of crazy shit going on. 

If Trump wins it gets less crazy in a hurry...just the dread that a third of the country has knowing that this is going on for at least four more years.  But "lame duck Trump" has the potential for the craziest stretch in US history.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    i think if dump loses he goes off the deep end and gets himself 25th amendmented, pardoned by pence in the lame duck, and gets to go to a country with no extradition.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:

What the fuck....

I think the election will be official the night of the 3rd.

There are always outstanding mail in votes.  Once each state gets to the point where there aren't enough outstanding votes to matter they will call the election.

• Options

I can't say that I have ever seen Bill Stepien.  That seems odd given how much news I watch.

• Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

I can't say that I have ever seen Bill Stepien.  That seems odd given how much news I watch.
    Sooo, I guess there wont be a debate.  

Trump is such a snowflake. 
This discussion has been closed.