Donald Trump

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Not sure if this has been posted.  Sent to me from a friend:

A Donald Trump assistant told him he had a fantastic dream last night. 
    There was a huge parade in Washington where he (Trump) was celebrated. 
    Millions lined the parade route and cheered when the president came by. Bands
    played, children threw confetti in the air, there were balloons everywhere. It was
    the biggest festival Washington had ever seen. 
    Trump was very pleased and said that's really great, what did I look like in your
    dream? Was my hair okay? 
    His assistant said: I can't say that, the coffin was closed.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    That gave me a hearty guffaw. Thanks Brian
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited June 2020
    It is amazing how Trump supporters can't see that he has contempt for them. When arenas are nowhere close to being opened for concerts or sporting events, Trump is the first one to have an event.  Any other president in modern history would have not had the rally in the abundance of caution for the public.  Trump cares not for anyone's health but his own.    His followers are brainwashed, anti-government people who somehow with everything going on in the world (BLM especially) feel like they are the ones that are having their rights violated.   They can deduct their contributions to their church from their taxes for crying out loud.  Why can't I deduct my golf membership then?  I like to congregate with others on Sunday but it just happens to be on a golf course. 
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    edited June 2020

I will say this though about the media.  I think they clearly have twisted Trump's words on the testing comments lately.  I think it is clear that Trump is saying the US has more cases because we test more and that when he says if we didn't test we would have less reported cases.  He is all about comparing to other countries.  The media and late night comedians are disingenuous in claiming Trump thinks if we didn't test than there would be no cases.  

I can't stand Trump but the media should do better.   When they twist words to fit their narrative it just gives the right more to be angry about.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

I will say this though about the media.  I think they clearly have twisted Trump's words on the testing comments lately.  I think it is clear that Trump is saying the US has more cases because we test more and that when he says if we didn't test we would have less reported cases.  He is all about comparing to other countries.  The media and late night comedians are disingenuous in claiming Trump thinks if we didn't test than there would be no cases.  

I can't stand Trump but the media should do better.   When they twist words to fit their narrative it just gives the right more to be angry about.

Which media are you seeing twisting the comments in this way? I have not seen the media conflate the two issues, when I look at the major media outlets.  I've seen the media reporting that people are horrified at the suggestion to reduce testing to have "better numbers"; I haven't seen anyone reporting that Trump believes that if you stop testing the actual number of cases will go down. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Big crowd for you rally, eh, Big D?
    5 takeaways from Trumps Tulsa rally - SFGate

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422

Which media are you seeing twisting the comments in this way? I have not seen the media conflate the two issues, when I look at the major media outlets.  I've seen the media reporting that people are horrified at the suggestion to reduce testing to have "better numbers"; I haven't seen anyone reporting that Trump believes that if you stop testing the actual number of cases will go down. 
    "I told my people to slow down testing...."
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah, that one was last night and a stupid comment.  The comments I am referring to are before.
    edited June 2020

Here is Seth Myers:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym2n1MYQNBw   

(Skip to 2:30).  I know, this is just a comedian but they aren't really any different than an MSNBC or Fox News commentator at this point.   I'm sure I saw someone on MSNBC saying the same thing.   

mickeyrat said:

Yeah, that one was last night and a stupid comment.  The comments I am referring to are before.
    and from before other shit FROM HIS OWN MOUTH, not spin, not misrepresenting. HIS WORDS.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Well the Lincoln Project outdid themselves with this one. “You’ve probably heard this before, but it was smaller than we expected.”

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited June 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

and from before other shit FROM HIS OWN MOUTH, not spin, not misrepresenting. HIS WORDS.

If you listen to the video I posted around the 2:30 mark he clearly was saying that if you don't test then you don't have any cases.  He was speaking of reported cases and not saying that no one would be sick (as Seth Myers contends).  Even as dumb as Trump is anyone with a brain knows what he was referring to there if you look at the context.  He was making the argument that other countries don't test as many people and that is why the US has more cases.   I can't stand Trump but I also can't stand it when media/pundits attack him (or anyone) when that is not what was said in context. Actually, I don't there was any context missed.  If you don't test you don't have confirmed cases. It hurts credibility of the media and makes it easier for the far right to point and say "well the liberal media lies too". 

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

If you listen to the video I posted around the 2:30 mark he clearly was saying that if you don't test then you don't have any cases.  He was speaking of reported cases and not saying that no one would be sick (as Seth Myers contends).  Even as dumb as Trump is anyone with a brain knows what he was referring to there if you look at the context.  He was making the argument that other countries don't test as many people and that is why the US has more cases.   I can't stand Trump but I also can't stand it when media/pundits attack him (or anyone) when that is not what was said in context. Actually, I don't there was any context missed.  If you don't test you don't have confirmed cases. It hurts credibility of the media and makes it easier for the far right to point and say "well the liberal media lies too". 

I dont want that ship to dock. we have 15 cases. I dont want more.......

something like that wasnt it?

mickeyrat said:

Yeah, I know. That’s what I’m referring to. He doesn’t want bad numbers, he wants the best numbers ever, better than anyone. 

Here is Seth Myers:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym2n1MYQNBw   

(Skip to 2:30).  I know, this is just a comedian but they aren't really any different than an MSNBC or Fox News commentator at this point.   I'm sure I saw someone on MSNBC saying the same thing.   

That’s comedy, not news. If you can find something from an actual media outlet, then fine, but until then I’m not convinced. 
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Whatever.  He has said a lot of dumb things.  I'm just talking about the one statement he made in the video I posted.  There are plenty of other comments he makes that he rightfully deserves to be lambasted by the media (probably 90% of what comes out of his mouth). 
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Whatever.  He has said a lot of dumb things.  I'm just talking about the one statement he made in the video I posted.  There are plenty of other comments he makes that he rightfully deserves to be lambasted by the media (probably 90% of what comes out of his mouth). 
    whatever? you're claiming the media(thats a whole lot of orgs and people. tv,radio and print) is twisting his words about corona "lately" and cite one example. I give you just 2 from both the beginning and the most recent that are very clear.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Well the Lincoln Project outdid themselves with this one. “You’ve probably heard this before, but it was smaller than we expected.”

"Can't keep his polls (poles?) up"

=) 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Did he once mention Juneteenth during his idiotic ramblings? Cause what ever that was on Saturday was not a speech! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

Testing more alone, does not account for the positive test rates being higher. Also, there is more testing in states like NY and PA and their (our) numbers are declining.

So I understand your point, but I think it is also clear Trump doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Did he once mention Juneteenth during his idiotic ramblings? Cause what ever that was on Saturday was not a speech! 
    That's really interesting.  I bet he didn't and that's typical.  He probably would have heard boos had he mentioned it.  It will be a national holiday in the next few years, if not next year.  

Testing more alone, does not account for the positive test rates being higher. Also, there is more testing in states like NY and PA and their (our) numbers are declining.

So I understand your point, but I think it is also clear Trump doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about. 

Right, he was making an argument that cases were up because of testing and not because of states opening up and there being a surge. 

Right, he was making an argument that cases were up because of testing and not because of states opening up and there being a surge. 
    That's a dumb thing to say but fundamentally true. The bad part is telling the administration to slow down testing. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:

That's a dumb thing to say but fundamentally true. The bad part is telling the administration to slow down testing. 
    It is a very dumb thing to say. Right now, with states loosening restrictions, we actually need more testing, so that we contact trace and isolate. Hit the hot spots before they spread. We know this, of course, but I honestly don't think Trump understands it. And we may have performed more tests in this country, but are mid-pack on a per capita basis, so we're not doing anything that remarkable. But Trump doesn't understand the concept of per capita anyway. "And, you know, when you say “per capita,” there’s many per capitas. It’s, like, per capita relative to what? But you can look at just about any category, and we’re really at the top, meaning positive on a per capita basis, too. They’ve done a great job." - DJT
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    It was an extremely stupid thing to say.  Again....if Obama would have said something similar there would be militia marching in DC
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    I particularly like the “dropping bombs” comment. I wonder if it’ll be a drone strike or a MOAB? Or just a run of the mill 500 pounder?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    Yup, like his base cares about Venezuela? If they even know it exists as a country and not a planet?

Brilliantati©
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:

It is a very dumb thing to say. Right now, with states loosening restrictions, we actually need more testing, so that we contact trace and isolate. Hit the hot spots before they spread. We know this, of course, but I honestly don't think Trump understands it. And we may have performed more tests in this country, but are mid-pack on a per capita basis, so we're not doing anything that remarkable. But Trump doesn't understand the concept of per capita anyway. "And, you know, when you say “per capita,” there’s many per capitas. It’s, like, per capita relative to what? But you can look at just about any category, and we’re really at the top, meaning positive on a per capita basis, too. They’ve done a great job." - DJT
    Yeah, that comment was hilarious.  How do you go to business school and not understand per capita?  There aren't many 'per capitas'
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    mrussel1 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, that comment was hilarious.  How do you go to business school and not understand per capita?  There aren't many 'per capitas'
    Donald Trump is a living and breathing campaign ad...for Joe Biden. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.