• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    carry on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Tiki said:
    The Mueller Report drops tomorrow.

Don Trump was and still is a criminal.  Obama didn't have shit to do with it.
    But I'm so disappointed in Michelle.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:
    Published on
    Monday, April 18, 2016
    by

President Obama's Coddling of Saudi Arabia

by
    Jake Johnson, staff writer

President Barack Obama visited with King Salman bin Abdulaziz in the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh in January 2015. (Photo: Reuters/J. Bourg)

Much has been made of President Obama's lengthy interview with Jeffrey Goldberg of The Atlantic, in which he argues that many American allies have become "free-riders" — allies content to receive military, strategic, and financial assistance while offering little or nothing in return.

One of the countries he mentioned by name was Saudi Arabia, a nation that has been a close ally of the United States for many decades. But during President Obama's tenure, the relationship has (at least on the surface) experienced somewhat of a dip as Iran — Saudi Arabia's main rival — negotiated with the United States and several other nations with the goal of reducing the country's nuclear capacities.

Such a dip, while a negative for American hawks, would presumably be celebrated by many. For years human rights groups have argued that the United States should use its leverage to put pressure on the Saudi regime, if not to cut ties with the kingdom totally, as it is one of the most heinous human rights violators in the world. Indeed, as Kamel Daoud has argued, Saudi Arabia is "an ISIS that has made it."

Many have interpreted President Obama's rhetorical jabs at the Saudi kingdom as a sign that substantive change is occurring, change that will be beneficial for Saudis and for the region. This, unfortunately, could not be further from the truth. While President Obama's comments have irked Saudi officials, Congress and the president himself have provided ample reassurance to the Saudi ruling elite by way of historic arms deals and strategic support.

The United States, because of its close relationship with the kingdom, has been complicit in the war crimes it has committed in its assault on Yemen, and American politicians have been far too willing to turn a blind eye to blatant human rights abuses that they would righteously condemn if committed by official enemies. And President Obama, despite his rhetoric, has throughout his administration continued to approve historic arms deals to the kingdom, deals that have included so-called "smart bombs," aircraft, and other advanced weaponry.

The New York Times summarizes: "The Saudi military is flying jets and dropping bombs it bought from the United States — part of the billions of dollars in arms deals that have been negotiated with Saudi Arabia and other Persian Gulf nations during the Obama administration."

Judging by the above, there seems to be little evidence to support the notion that the president is ushering in a new era of U.S.-Saudi relations, an era in which Saudi Arabia is, for once, held to account for its actions. In fact, the evidence points in precisely the opposite direction.

As the New York Times reported on Saturday, Saudi officials are infuriated by a bill put forward by the Senate that "would allow the Saudi government to be held responsible in American courts for any role in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks." To demonstrate its anger, the regime has resorted to threats: If the bill is passed, Saudi officials say, they will "sell off hundreds of billions of dollars' worth of American assets."

Criticism of the bill has come from another source, as well: the Obama administration. "The Obama administration has lobbied Congress to block the bill’s passage," the Times reports, arguing that "the legislation would put Americans at legal risk overseas."

In his interview with the president, Jeffrey Goldberg notes that, "Obama’s patience with Saudi Arabia has always been limited." Well, approving historic arms deals and shielding the kingdom from calls for accountability is a bizarre way to demonstrate waning patience.

Such an embrace of one of the most repressive regimes in the world by the Obama administration — an embrace that walks the line drawn by many previous presidents — demonstrates the near truism of foreign relations expounded by Noam Chomsky and others: "The United States supports democracy if and only if it conforms to U.S. strategic and economic objectives."

The same seems to be true with human rights and, indeed, the war against terrorism, itself. Saudi Arabia, as many have observed, is a hub for the spread of extremist ideologies like those currently motivating the self-proclaimed Islamic State.

The West's continued coddling of Saudi Arabia represents a tacit acceptance of the tactics the kingdom uses both to suppress its own population and to spread violence beyond its borders. Is this the change we are supposed to believe in?

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/04/18/president-obamas-coddling-saudi-arabia

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    dignin said:
    Tiki said:
    The Mueller Report drops tomorrow.

Don Trump was and still is a criminal.  Obama didn't have shit to do with it.
    But I'm so disappointed in Michelle.

You really have some issues to work though it seems. Hope your employer has some sort of assistance program.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    mfc2006 said:
    Tiki said:
    this is NOW, like today.

Distracted yet?
    Seriously. WTF? Let's debate something that happened a decade ago instead of being worried about what is happening RIGHT NOW. What kind of sense does that make? None. 
    I agree. It's clearly a defense mechanism that allows people to look in the past because they want to turn a blind eye to what is occurring right now. I still can't comprehend how anyone can support Trump. He is, BY FAR, one of the worst (if not the worst) presidents in history. 
    I'm sure that's true for some, but my2hands isn't a trump supporter. he is merely pointing out that history doesn't start with Jan 20/17. while trump is an awful person and president, it's ok to point out that not everything he does starts with him. 

I mean, how many people blamed GWB for the mess of the mid east when Obama was prez? was that "looking to the past"? no, it was ok to do then, because it was the truth of how we got to where we're at. we don't have to erase history merely because it might make us uncomfortable. 
    No no no, come on. I'm not sure if he's doing this on purpose or if he's just ignorant to the fact that this guy ORDERED THE MURDER OF AN AMERICAN JOURNALIST just a few months ago and our president is just brushing that aside, despite bipartisan warnings from congress. CONTEXT is hugely important regarding this guy right now. 

To ignore that fact is either out of laziness or ignorance or trolliness. 
    yeah, so the guy was Mr Rodgers up until that point. Ok. 
    Ha....are you kidding? Of course not. But things and relationships with countries tend to change when something as egregious like that happens. With Trump? Eh, NBD.

I mean, goodness, how often do you get BI-PARTISAN support for ANYTHING in congress these days? Crazy this is even debatable right now...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    my2hands said:
    Tiki said:
    this is NOW, like today.

Distracted yet?
    Seriously. WTF? Let's debate something that happened a decade ago instead of being worried about what is happening RIGHT NOW. What kind of sense does that make? None. 
    Because that's where it started?

If we never got involved, we wouldn't be relying on Trump to end it

Now you guys just want to ignore history? Lol
    Where does any of this all really originate from though? You (figuratively) can't keep picking and choosing a starting and ending time to suit the point for these issues. Why not trace it back to the beginning of the last century when the US began trying to influence and control foreign countries, particularly the middle east? That surely has more to do with where things are at today than the last few presidents. The current one doesn't seem to give a shit right now, today, so that is what is being discussed. If Obama or any other prior president were doing this right now, today, then they would get the same backlash, but Fox would be running headlines non-stop about how it was another indicator of him being a foreign born Muslim tarnishing America the beautiful. There are still people who care no matter what party occupies the WH,
    Stop being so rational. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Coming to this thread is more disappointing than going to the NIN website to see a With Teeth vinyl release update.

I see 65 new posts and think to myself, "Holy shit. Something's happened." Then I see the same dodgeball game being played between My2 and everyone else (with a bit of spew from Rolemodles) lol.

Hamberders.

* Hey my membership expires on the 20th. I'm torn. Do I renew? I've cancelled autorenewal and thought maybe not to. Nothing to do with this place. Serious question.

I feel that there might be some shows in the near future that I'd be missing out on.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I'm going to AMS in June to see Ed. 
    He may have a career to look forward to in this crazy music industry.

Those PJ GA tickets are the best.  You'd hate to miss out on those.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    Coming to this thread is more disappointing than going to the NIN website to see a With Teeth vinyl release update.

I see 65 new posts and think to myself, "Holy shit. Something's happened." Then I see the same dodgeball game being played between My2 and everyone else (with a bit of spew from Rolemodles) lol.

Hamberders.

* Hey my membership expires on the 20th. I'm torn. Do I renew? I've cancelled autorenewal and thought maybe not to. Nothing to do with this place. Serious question.

I feel that there might be some shows in the near future that I'd be missing out on.
    We'd miss you on the forums, but if you aren't getting the bang for your buck, it's understandable. Mine renews a week after you and I already switched to digital. Contemplating whether it's worth it as well though...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

Hamberders.

Slap that $20 down you cheap S.O.B. 

This thread alone is worth it lol
  • Options
    Something did happen though, and is kind of a big deal... and we all agree that we disagree with the veto... just some of us have shorter memories than others :)
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    edited April 2019
    Lizard said:
    nope...says can't upload pictures ...YET Juggler did it somehow
    :angry:  ;)
    Thanks for the smiles. :) It's just so funny how the bird strolls into the store, you can almost hear him whistling innocently, then snatches the bag and runs out lickety-split. :grin: I wish these forums allowed sig pics...really sorry they don't. 

And staying on topic...
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1118248130703712256

Laurence Tribe @tribelaw
    Even if Mueller’s team doesn’t want to take this path, @RepJerryNadler can ask a court to release all grand jury material to the House Judiciary Committee on the ground that his investigation is “preliminary to” a “judicial inquiry” in the form of a Senate impeachment trial.Laurence Tribe added,

Laurence Tribe @tribelaw
    BREAKING NEWS: Mueller or his team are free to share with Nadler and Schiff grand jury material about hostile foreign interference with the 2016 election without violating any law. See my tweet about the text of 6(e)(3)(D).
    3:21 PM - 16 Apr 2019
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Hamberders.

Slap that $20 down you cheap S.O.B. 

This thread alone is worth it lol
    Wait, whats your #? I might be able to move up a spot lol
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Lizard said:
    Thanks for the smiles. :) It's just so funny how the bird strolls into the store, you can almost hear him whistling innocently, then snatches the bag and runs out lickety-split. :grin: I wish these forums allowed sig pics...really sorry they don't. 
    Do what now?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Oops, I meant sig gifs. :)

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    mfc2006 said:
    Tiki said:
    this is NOW, like today.

Distracted yet?
    I agree. It's clearly a defense mechanism that allows people to look in the past because they want to turn a blind eye to what is occurring right now. I still can't comprehend how anyone can support Trump. He is, BY FAR, one of the worst (if not the worst) presidents in history. 
    I'm sure that's true for some, but my2hands isn't a trump supporter. he is merely pointing out that history doesn't start with Jan 20/17. while trump is an awful person and president, it's ok to point out that not everything he does starts with him. 

I mean, how many people blamed GWB for the mess of the mid east when Obama was prez? was that "looking to the past"? no, it was ok to do then, because it was the truth of how we got to where we're at. we don't have to erase history merely because it might make us uncomfortable. 
    No no no, come on. I'm not sure if he's doing this on purpose or if he's just ignorant to the fact that this guy ORDERED THE MURDER OF AN AMERICAN JOURNALIST just a few months ago and our president is just brushing that aside, despite bipartisan warnings from congress. CONTEXT is hugely important regarding this guy right now. 

To ignore that fact is either out of laziness or ignorance or trolliness. 
    yeah, so the guy was Mr Rodgers up until that point. Ok. 
    Ha....are you kidding? Of course not. But things and relationships with countries tend to change when something as egregious like that happens. With Trump? Eh, NBD.

I mean, goodness, how often do you get BI-PARTISAN support for ANYTHING in congress these days? Crazy this is even debatable right now...
    I'm not saying that congress is wrong here. I was just agreeing with M2H on his other point. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Kat said:
    Lizard said:
    Do what now?
    I tried adding a sig pic and it told me it wasn't allowed. is a grandfathered thing? :angry:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Again...

Why did we wait a full calendar month for the Mueller Report again?  Whatever Barr did to that document could have been done in 3 days or less by a group of high school sophomores with a basic understanding of the English language.
  • Options
    Tiki said:
    Again...

Why did we wait a full calendar month for the Mueller Report again?  Whatever Barr did to that document could have been done in 3 days or less by a group of high school sophomores with a basic understanding of the English language.
    honestly, doubtful. there would have to be an immense amount of fact checking and legal research to make sure all the redactions that are required are completed. I'm not saying at ALL that I trust Barr, but a month for something so important isn't a long time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The thing better be completely marked the eff up then.
  • Options
    Barr did exactly the same song and dance for Geo. HW Bush.  Exactly.
  • Options
    Tiki..........

Why do you keep changing your avatar? it's fucking with me lol
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Barr press conference tomorrow morning.

Hold onto your butts!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    CM189191 said:

Hold onto your butts!
    He will exonerate the Baffoon take it to the bank the fix has been on since the day he was confirmed! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    CM189191 said:

Hold onto your butts!
    He will exonerate the Baffoon take it to the bank the fix has been on since the day he was confirmed! 
    unfortunately you are probably right.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Hold onto your butts!
    https://youtu.be/PdF1Rqet9E8
  • Options
    Lizard said:
    CM189191 said:

Hold onto your butts!

Remind me again, what happened to Nixon's AG?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    Lizard said:
    CM189191 said:

Hold onto your butts!

Remind me again, what happened to Nixon's AG?
    On February 21, 1975, Mitchell, who was represented by the criminal defense attorney William G. Hundley, was found guilty of conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and perjury and sentenced to two and a half to eight years in prison for his role in the Watergate break-in and cover-up, which he dubbed the "White House horrors." As a result of the conviction, Mitchell was disbarred from the practice of law in New York.

...oh right...
  • Options
    He was also involved in the Watergate incident as a conspirator.... so there is that.... but yes, he did 19 months and was disbarred
This discussion has been closed.