Eddie Vedder w/ Voice Of Chicago will perform at POTUS's Farewell Address

Comments

• Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,185
    PP193448 said:

Wma31394 said:

maverick said:

Joe118 said:

Love Ed but I have avoided watching any of this stuff. Obama is the second worst president of my lifetime (Carter) and it's just brutally awkward to watch any of the "celebration" of his candidacy.

Yeah, I agree. What was it only 70 plus months of positive job growth? US Auto industry saved and doing much better than before. Gas prices down, stock market steadily up for 8 years.
    Oh yeah and he ended the Iraq war and brought thousands of troops home with all bodily features in tact. (Sarcasm)
    What, did you like when the US invaded Iraq over lies for oil and resulted in thousands of US soldiers dying and coming back missing limbs? You must have loved how the republican led congress then cut veterans benefits. (They take care of our veterans,right? While trump kept saying we don't take care of the veterans, did anyone ask whether the republican led house or senate had offered any legislation the past 6 years to help them? Oh yeah, they didn't.).
    Well at least the rich will get more tax cuts again. That should help the deficit (which got smaller each of the past 8 years) and the debt which has exploded. Those fiscal conservatives will surely fix that via exploding deficits.
    Give me a break.
    President Obama is someone our country can be proud of.
    Bush 43... There's a reason he and Cheney haven't left the US in 8 years. They can't. It's called war crimes they have been found guilty of. Fact
    there simply is no reasonable argument for obama being a bad president. I keep seeing one or two talking points and that's it. the list of his accomplishments is far longer than his failures. and his failures were at least ATTEMPTS at making life better for the americans.
    Yea I agree..no way he's a bad President. It's so funny all the hard core republicans I know always say.."Barry is a terrible President..BUT my 401k and other investments tripled under his presidency." The rich got richer and for that reason people will look back and say he was a good President..not me I already think he did about the best job he could.
    Please ask your friends which mutual funds their 401ks are in, and post later. Tripled in 8 years?? Damn...
    My company stock was $19.02 late 2008 and was near $85 in early Nov 2016.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,682
    mcgruff10 said:

RYME said:

Say it with me
    Worst president ever!
    Just making friends and influencing people!

oh come on, hoover and buchanan take the cake.
    Now you're just trying to confuse him with the name of a vacuum and a fat headed guy who occasionally pops up on cable news channels.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

RYME said:

Say it with me
    Worst president ever!

Now you're just trying to confuse him with the name of a vacuum and a fat headed guy who occasionally pops up on cable news channels.
    :lol:
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928

mcgruff10 said:

RYME said:

Say it with me
    Worst president ever!

Lol lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,135
    edited January 2017
    Joe118 said:

Love Ed but I have avoided watching any of this stuff. Obama is the second worst president of my lifetime (Carter) and it's just brutally awkward to watch any of the "celebration" of his candidacy.

How can someone say something like this with a straight face...

This weird backward way of seeing the world... where does it stem from... the ignorance, racism or whatever must be off the charts.

And at the same time listen to Pearl Jam, who's views on progression, social issues and whatever doesn't fall in line with all those republican presidents that for some reason are so much better than Carter and Obama...

Try living in one of the Nordic countries (who are better off than the US in so many ways), you would have lost your mind thinking it's some communist haven or something. Haha. WHERE'S MY GUN VIOLENCE, POLICE OFFICERS EXECUTING ITS CITIZENS IN THE STREETS, EVERYONE FOR THEMSELVES MENTALITY AND EXPENSIVE HEALTHCARE! WHERES MY FREEDOM!
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

Joe118 said:

This weird backward way of seeing the world... where does it stem from... the ignorance, racism or whatever must be off the charts.

And at the same time listen to Pearl Jam, who's views on progression, social issues and whatever doesn't fall in line with all those republican presidents that for some reason are so much better than Carter and Obama...
    I think this dude gets his "talking points" from Sean Hannity on Fox News.
    he hates Carter and Obama.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

Thought about Fox News today. In Sweden we don't really have that kind of... tv-shows masquerading as News when it's clearly biased to hell.

But take someone like Sean Hannity or Bill O Reilly, have they reported (or said) ANYTHING positive about Obama during these 8 years? I mean, he has been President for a long time - and he hasn't done anything good worth mentioning or reporting on according this news channel?

I mean... that really says it all regarding them being a news show or not. That is objectively impossible.

But hey, the US is a country were people can state that the world is 6000 years old or claiming Climate Change is a hoax without being laughed out for all eternity. That would be impossible in Sweden.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

Carter was pretty bad.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

Thought about Fox News today. In Sweden we don't really have that kind of... tv-shows masquerading as News when it's clearly biased to hell.

But take someone like Sean Hannity or Bill O Reilly, have they reported (or said) ANYTHING positive about Obama during these 8 years? I mean, he has been President for a long time - and he hasn't done anything good worth mentioning or reporting on according this news channel?

I mean... that really says it all regarding them being a news show or not. That is objectively impossible.

But hey, the US is a country were people can state that the world is 6000 years old or claiming Climate Change is a hoax without being laughed out for all eternity. That would be impossible in Sweden.
    Well, up until the 1970s Sweden was almost totally white and Protestant, so it is understandable that in a small, homogeneous country people would tend to look and act similarly and think in similar ways. You've got the same number of people as we have in North Carolina dispersed over an area less than 1/20th the size of the US, We have a much more diverse demographic, leading to vastly differing cultures, economies and belief systems within this country. So there are plenty of rational thinkers, and plenty of kooky religionists, and plenty of backwater hillbillies. Consequently, there are differing sources of information for those outliers looking for confirmation bias.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

Well, up until the 1970s Sweden was almost totally white and Protestant, so it is understandable that in a small, homogeneous country people would tend to look and act similarly and think in similar ways. You've got the same number of people as we have in North Carolina dispersed over an area less than 1/20th the size of the US, We have a much more diverse demographic, leading to vastly differing cultures, economies and belief systems within this country. So there are plenty of rational thinkers, and plenty of kooky religionists, and plenty of backwater hillbillies. Consequently, there are differing sources of information for those outliers looking for confirmation bias.
    Very well said bud.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,468

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

Yup. You have the right to be an idiot in the USA. It comes with the democracy.

Don't be a hater though. You end up sounding bitter and jealous.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    mcgruff10 said:

jeffbr said:

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

Very well said bud.
    edit - .
    Thread integrity.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Barack Obama and Eddie Vedder ... both amazing human beings. :smiley:
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    jeffbr said:

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

Spot on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I believe it is a record 81 consecutive months of job creation under Obama...

But who's counting? lol

Ps... love the slow RITFW
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,647
    edited January 2017
    jeffbr said:

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

It makes for an interesting pot of people. Ive come to find that neither side is correctly stereotyped. Its person by person. Case by case. I know plenty of Clinton supporters who are racist and ignorant and the same goes for Trump supporters. I also know people who are incredibly good hearted on both sides. Both sides have more good people than bad. To lump people in with a standard view is the most ignorant act of all. I say this as a minority who has lived in the northeast, the deep DEEP south, and in between. Everyone has different issues that they care about more than something else. One of the most interesting countries on earth.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,991
    Has anyone been lucky to find any more footage from the event? Was hoping there was a backdoor feed of the whole performance online as all stations received the feed but enjoyed not showing Ed's performance on TV.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2017

jeffbr said:

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

It makes for an interesting pot of people. Ive come to find that neither side is correctly stereotyped. Its person by person. Case by case. I know plenty of Clinton supporters who are racist and ignorant and the same goes for Trump supporters. I also know people who are incredibly good hearted on both sides. Both sides have more good people than bad. To lump people in with a standard view is the most ignorant act of all. I say this as a minority who has lived in the northeast, the deep DEEP south, and in between. Everyone has different issues that they care about more than something else. One of the most interesting countries on earth.
    Well said! I've enjoyed Eddie & Pearl Jam for 25 years. I support some of the things they stand for, and disagree with some other things.
    I consider myself (Conservative/Independent)
    NOT REPUBLICAN!
    Some social progressive things I agree with, some I don't. For example I'm all for LGBTQ rights, & I think that weed should be legal everywhere.
    At the same time I am against gun bans and heavy gun restrictions. I don't, but if. I owned a machine gun, it doesn't mean that I'm going to go out and use it. Everyone in my community is armed, hunts and owns guns and ammunition. There is no crime around here. You try to break-in to someone's house around here you probably won't make it back to you car. What happened in Orlando Night Club would never happen at the bars I frequent. You'd be a fool to come in and start trouble. You'd be subdued very quickly. There is a common mind set around here, like don't fuck with us. We work hard, and we play hard.
    There is no sign on the door that says
    (No Guns Allowed). So you never know who is carrying and who ain't. That keeps would be trouble makers out. One of my buddies has a hook for a left arm from a chainsaw accident.
    There are conservatives and then there are Radical Republicans, the lines tend to get blurred, but there is a huge difference.
    One is of rights liberties & the pursuit of happiness. And the other is about greed & power. Everybody thinks Sarah Palin is dumb(Her high-pitched voice drives me insane). But you should read her book, Going Rogue she is a dignified hard working woman, who Alaskan Republican ESTABLISHMENT cronies hated her, because she cut wa$tfull $pending, fraud and abu$e of power. Alaskan Republicans were making lots of private backroom deals with Big Oil. I'm not saying that she is fit to be president, but people confuse her with the Tina Fey performance.
    And I don't hate Democrats or liberals. and like you said it can depend on where you live and what you do too. Values on the East Coast or West Coast or urban places is probably different then somebody that lives in the woods in northern Wisconsin, or Minnesota, or in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. You have Democrats, and (Radical Democrats). I think there is a big difference there too. There are lots of Democrat redneck/hillbilly voters that live up here, that hunt, and own lots of guns and ammunition. I know a guy who hunts bear & deer, traps fox & coyotes and votes for Democrats. I can't stand Republicans either, but I usually vote for the R ticket because their stance on constitutional rights I tend to agree with more than democrats. Cheers!

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Has anyone been lucky to find any more footage from the event? Was hoping there was a backdoor feed of the whole performance online as all stations received the feed but enjoyed not showing Ed's performance on TV.

I would love to see all of the performance... hopefully something surfaces
  • Options
    RYME said:

jeffbr said:

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

Well said! I've enjoyed Eddie & Pearl Jam for 25 years. I support some of the things they stand for, and disagree with some other things.
    NOT REPUBLICAN!
    Some social progressive things I agree with, some I don't. For example I'm all for LGBTQ rights, & I think that weed should be legal everywhere.
    At the same time I am against gun bans and heavy gun restrictions. I don't, but if. I owned a machine gun, it doesn't mean that I'm going to go out and use it. Everyone in my community is armed, hunts and owns guns and ammunition. There is no crime around here. You try to break-in to someone's house around here you probably won't make it back to you car. What happened in Orlando Night Club would never happen at the bars I frequent. You'd be a fool to come in and start trouble. You'd be subdued very quickly. There is a common mind set around here, like don't fuck with us. We work hard, and we play hard.
    (No Guns Allowed). So you never know who is carrying and who ain't. That keeps would be trouble makers out. One of my buddies has a hook for a left arm from a chainsaw accident.
    There are conservatives and then there are Radical Republicans, the lines tend to get blurred, but there is a huge difference.
    One is of rights liberties & the pursuit of happiness. And the other is about greed & power. Everybody thinks Sarah Palin is dumb(Her high-pitched voice drives me insane). But you should read her book, Going Rogue she is a dignified hard working woman, who Alaskan Republican ESTABLISHMENT cronies hated her, because she cut wa$tfull $pending, fraud and abu$e of power. Alaskan Republicans were making lots of private backroom deals with Big Oil. I'm not saying that she is fit to be president, but people confuse her with the Tina Fey performance.
    And I don't hate Democrats or liberals. and like you said it can depend on where you live and what you do too. Values on the East Coast or West Coast or urban places is probably different then somebody that lives in the woods in northern Wisconsin, or Minnesota, or in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. You have Democrats, and (Radical Democrats). I think there is a big difference there too. There are lots of Democrat redneck/hillbilly voters that live up here, that hunt, and own lots of guns and ammunition. I know a guy who hunts bear & deer, traps fox & coyotes and votes for Democrats. I can't stand Republicans either, but I usually vote for the R ticket because their stance on constitutional rights I tend to agree with more than democrats. Cheers!

That's the same reason why I think all drugs should be legal. Because me and my friends coke up and where all fine. I also think there should be no age restrictions when it comes to sex. Because I would never hurt a child or something. And not any of my friends either.

And don't get me started on endangered animals. I would never kill the last Rhino or Panda. And not any of my friends either. So what's with the restrictions? Sad!
  • Options
    my2hands said:

demetrios said:

I would love to see all of the performance... hopefully something surfaces

Hopefully it gets out. Would love to see it.
  • Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    demetrios said:

No! :(
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options

RYME said:

jeffbr said:

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

NOT REPUBLICAN!

That's the same reason why I think all drugs should be legal. Because me and my friends coke up and where all fine. I also think there should be no age restrictions when it comes to sex. Because I would never hurt a child or something. And not any of my friends either.

And don't get me started on endangered animals. I would never kill the last Rhino or Panda. And not any of my friends either. So what's with the restrictions? Sad!
    Ah yes the sarcastic enlightened one comes out..
    The world of sarcasm is so cool.
    Your tinfoil hat might be on a little too tight, or you might want to get a better one that catches you even more rays of wisdom from outer space. Because your comparison is idiotic.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    RYME said:

RYME said:

jeffbr said:

lolobugg said:

Joe118 said:

NOT REPUBLICAN!

Ah yes the sarcastic enlightened one comes out..
    The world of sarcasm is so cool.
    Your tinfoil hat might be on a little too tight, or you might want to get a better one that catches you even more rays of wisdom from outer space. Because your comparison is idiotic.
    I may not agree or have the same perspective as you regarding the points you conveyed, but I do think responses to your comment like the above are what will continue to divide this country. Dismissive, condescending and elitist opinions are not how progress is made. If you are closed minded and unwilling to partake in honest civil discourse with those who have opposing viewpoints then don't say anything at all.

I think this thread has wore out its welcome on the Porch.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    I didn't put anyone down in my comments about guns and social issues.
    It was the condescending sarcasm about no age limit on sex and all drugs should be legal and go coke up being a comparison to what I was saying. So before you call me divisive, look at the response to someone who has a different viewpoint.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    RYME said:

It was the condescending sarcasm about no age limit on sex and all drugs should be legal and go coke up being a comparison to what I was saying. So before you call me divisive, look at the response to someone who has a different viewpoint.

I think tbergs was saying the response to your post was dismissive and condescending , not yours.

But I could be wrong and shouldn't try to decipher someone else's post.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    RYME said:

I was referring to the response to your post by Spiritual.
  • Options
    wall232 said:

RYME said:

I think tbergs was saying the response to your post was dismissive and condescending , not yours.

But I could be wrong and shouldn't try to decipher someone else's post.
    You have deciphered correctly. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Ok cool, spiritual, that makes more sense.
    WAL232 You were correct,
    I think I'll go back to discussing music, where we all tend to agree.