Rogue One (SPOILER WARNING)

Comments

• JK_Livin said:

JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

I feel like they botched the marketing on this. The campaign should have included random fans talking about how many times they've seen the original. For many of us that number falls between a dozen and a hundred. Then talk about the feeling you got as a kid when the music started and the crawl appeared. Then connect the dots. This movie is the story of those spies mentioned in that crawl. That's why I'm excited for this film.

hard to argue against the marketing of Disney ... Rogue One will likely be the number 1 movie of the year based only on just 2 weeks of box office ...
    It'll make a ton of money for sure. That's not what I'm saying. Maybe "botched" is too strong a word. What I mean is that I know multiple people who like Star Wars but who aren't really sure what this movie is. Is this episode 8? Did they recast Daisy Ridley? Why is Darth Vader still alive? These are all questions I've heard.
    I agree. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan (actually not really a fan at all) but all my friends love it and, of course, we all go on opening night to see the damn things. Here I thought all along this was Episode 8, only to find out this weekend that it's a standalone story that takes place between 3 & 4. What a ripoff!!
    The title is Rogue One, A Star Wars Story. It's not Star Wars Episode 8.
    I knew the title was Rogue One. I didn't know it wasn't Ep 8 until this past weekend when I saw a commercial for it and saw the "A Star Wars Story" tagline. I'm not a Star Wars junkie. I'm not much of a fan at all, tbh. I just figured a new Star Wars movie out this year the same time as Ep 7 came out last year would be Ep 8.
  • JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

I feel like they botched the marketing on this. The campaign should have included random fans talking about how many times they've seen the original. For many of us that number falls between a dozen and a hundred. Then talk about the feeling you got as a kid when the music started and the crawl appeared. Then connect the dots. This movie is the story of those spies mentioned in that crawl. That's why I'm excited for this film.

hard to argue against the marketing of Disney ... Rogue One will likely be the number 1 movie of the year based only on just 2 weeks of box office ...
    It'll make a ton of money for sure. That's not what I'm saying. Maybe "botched" is too strong a word. What I mean is that I know multiple people who like Star Wars but who aren't really sure what this movie is. Is this episode 8? Did they recast Daisy Ridley? Why is Darth Vader still alive? These are all questions I've heard.
    I agree. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan (actually not really a fan at all) but all my friends love it and, of course, we all go on opening night to see the damn things. Here I thought all along this was Episode 8, only to find out this weekend that it's a standalone story that takes place between 3 & 4. What a ripoff!!
    A ripoff is a fraud or a swindle.

How is this a ripoff?
    It's just an expression, sheesh. Tough crowd here.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,652
    JimmyV said:

rgambs said:

JimmyV said:

I do enjoy the possibility that the best Star Wars movie ever made is still to come.

I would have to be 5 years old and watching from the back of a pick up truck at the drive ins, as I was when I first experienced Star Wars. I hope my son has his 'Star Wars' that he can love for the rest of his life. (That goes with all forms of stories...songs, books, etc)
    I see where you are coming from and the original had a huge impact on everyone, but if you take the subjectivity of time and experience away, Ep4 probably isn't in the top 3 of the 7 that have been made.
    It has its warts certainly but it is in my top 3. Some order of the original, Empire and Force Awakens are 1-3. Then Jedi. The prequels bring up the rear.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Poncier said:

JimmyV said:

rgambs said:

JimmyV said:

I do enjoy the possibility that the best Star Wars movie ever made is still to come.

I would have to be 5 years old and watching from the back of a pick up truck at the drive ins, as I was when I first experienced Star Wars. I hope my son has his 'Star Wars' that he can love for the rest of his life. (That goes with all forms of stories...songs, books, etc)
    I see where you are coming from and the original had a huge impact on everyone, but if you take the subjectivity of time and experience away, Ep4 probably isn't in the top 3 of the 7 that have been made.
    It has its warts certainly but it is in my top 3. Some order of the original, Empire and Force Awakens are 1-3. Then Jedi. The prequels bring up the rear.

Pretty much!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    ^^^^^ Ditto.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I grew up with the originals on VHS as a staple of my childhood, but that was the early 90's. Taking nostalgia out of it and looking objectively, based on execution of the film as whole (story, action, effects, acting, etc) I would rank it like this. If a better actor had been cast for Anakin I could imagine bumping 3 into 5's place.

One only gets ranked because of Darth Maul lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Much agreement that Empire is the best. I recall watching parts of it weekly when it ran on HBO for about a year as a kid.

Very excited for Rogue One, I think it is gonna be killer. Hope it bumps Revenge down. I love Revenge, but the Ewoks.....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
  • :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    4 was the best. I hate watching 4-6 on tv now with all the added bullshit to make them more like 1-3. They need to release the unedited originals again. Jedi is the worst of all the edited versions, no Ewok song! FU George!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Jason P said:
    That's more like it!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    kids and i are looking forward to watching this while we wait for dec 2017
    Wouldn't you think Grand Moff Tarkin should be in this? When I first saw that one character, I thought it was going to be him and that it was a great choice of an actor for him.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

Wouldn't you think Grand Moff Tarkin should be in this? When I first saw that one character, I thought it was going to be him and that it was a great choice of an actor for him.

I think he's going to be. Probably via CGI.

• I'm forward to Forrest Whitaker having a role in this, he's great.

He was downright terrifying in The Last King of Scotland.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,652
    He'll never top his role as Charles Jefferson.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Hopefully Spicoli doesn't steal his spaceship!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Posts: 4,809
    edited December 2016
    Ticket purchased! :)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Mads Mikkelsen is enough to get me interested in it, booked for the 20th :smile:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891
    what's up, nerds?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Wobbie said:

what's up, nerds?

Don't you have goats to herd or something?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891
    Hobbes said:

Wobbie said:

what's up, nerds?

Don't you have goats to herd or something?
    nope. my dog is the herder.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

We are spending Christmas in Buffalo and I'm already scouting out theaters to see this a second time while we're there.

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited December 2016
    Man I'm slipping....didn't know tickets went on sale and opening night is down to shit seats. I get lasik the next day and my kids are with their mom until the following Tuesday...so I either sit in shit seats (sucks), go without my kids 2-3 days after opening (sucks more), or wait until 5 days after opening (worst)...looks like I'm sitting in shit seats.
    JimmyV said:

I heard there is no script crawl in the opening. Will be disappointed if true.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Spaceship Earth turned into the Death Star at Epcot last night
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7avLuXwtEfo
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.