Rogue One (SPOILER WARNING)

JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
edited December 2016 in All Encompassing Trip
Now that we've gone through opening weekend I'm going to add a spoiler warning to the thread title. If you haven't seen the film yet this is not the thread you are looking for.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
Post edited by JimmyV on

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JimmyV said:

Advance tickets went on sale this morning. Got mine for opening night! Not sure anything will ever match the anticipation I felt for The Force Awakens but still...I am pretty damn excited for this.

I didn't care one hoot for this one...
    And then I saw the trailer and realized, it's a Star Wars movie. Spinoff prequel or not, it is going to bad ass.
    Another female lead? Hell yes, thank you very much!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    I feel like they botched the marketing on this. The campaign should have included random fans talking about how many times they've seen the original. For many of us that number falls between a dozen and a hundred. Then talk about the feeling you got as a kid when the music started and the crawl appeared. Then connect the dots. This movie is the story of those spies mentioned in that crawl. That's why I'm excited for this film.

JimmyV said:

I feel like they botched the marketing on this. The campaign should have included random fans talking about how many times they've seen the original. For many of us that number falls between a dozen and a hundred. Then talk about the feeling you got as a kid when the music started and the crawl appeared. Then connect the dots. This movie is the story of those spies mentioned in that crawl. That's why I'm excited for this film.

Originally, I thought it was a bad choice for a story to go back to. I felt like that's all settled business and not very interesting. It would all hang on the quality of the characters they use to populate it.
    Looks like they have nailed that. A bad girl so bad the rebels are unsure about her? Yes, please!
    Maybe I am a sappy feminist, but I feel like it was an excellent move having a strong female lead in Ep7 and I am excited for it in Rogue One as well.

I really hope they don't make a Boba Fett movie. I think I would rather see a Jabba movie lol
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Jar Jar needs his own series!
    Yeah I never understood the Boba Fett fascination either. Seems they were really close to making that movie at one point, too. Feels so unnecessary. Honestly the Han Solo movie does too but I'll give it a chance. Obi Wan in the desert! That's what I want.

JimmyV said:

Yeah I never understood the Boba Fett fascination either. Seems they were really close to making that movie at one point, too. Feels so unnecessary. Honestly the Han Solo movie does too but I'll give it a chance. Obi Wan in the desert! That's what I want.

Ewan McGregor whooping some ass in a stand alone movie? Sounds good.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    JimmyV said:

hard to argue against the marketing of Disney ... Rogue One will likely be the number 1 movie of the year based only on just 2 weeks of box office ...
  • I'm definitely looking forward to Rogue One, my buddy & I are already making plans to see it.
    polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

hard to argue against the marketing of Disney ... Rogue One will likely be the number 1 movie of the year based only on just 2 weeks of box office ...
    It'll make a ton of money for sure. That's not what I'm saying. Maybe "botched" is too strong a word. What I mean is that I know multiple people who like Star Wars but who aren't really sure what this movie is. Is this episode 8? Did they recast Daisy Ridley? Why is Darth Vader still alive? These are all questions I've heard.

When I was a kid I always associated the opening drums and 20th Century Fox logo with Star Wars.

https://youtu.be/iXDnFYu91vY

• HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Yeah, I've had to explain Rogue One to quite a few casual fans. Once I do, though, they are almost as excited as I am about this movie.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

It'll make a ton of money for sure. That's not what I'm saying. Maybe "botched" is too strong a word. What I mean is that I know multiple people who like Star Wars but who aren't really sure what this movie is. Is this episode 8? Did they recast Daisy Ridley? Why is Darth Vader still alive? These are all questions I've heard.
    oh ... ya ... i suppose ... i've had a lot of people asking clarification of the timeline ... I think part of the confusion is related to how they title the films now and how they were released ... like, you say to someone ... it's leading up to episode 4 ... and then you have to clarify episode 4 in star wars chronology and not movie release chronology ... plus, it doesn't help that they rebuilt the fucking thing two other times! ...
  • Ohhh yeah, baby!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

I agree. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan (actually not really a fan at all) but all my friends love it and, of course, we all go on opening night to see the damn things. Here I thought all along this was Episode 8, only to find out this weekend that it's a standalone story that takes place between 3 & 4. What a ripoff!!

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The $4 billion that Disney paid for Star Wars is turning out to be the deal of the century.
    It really is. That $4 billion number sounded so crazy when we first heard it. Now it looks like they will make it back tenfold.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Looks awesome! Taking the afternoon off with the fellas at work like we did last year for Force Awakens
    www.cluthelee.com

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,278
    Got my tix for the midnight screening - can't wait!!!
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Got my tickets for IMAX. We also take the day off and make a day out of it. We all go out to lunch and then head to the show.
  • JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

I agree. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan (actually not really a fan at all) but all my friends love it and, of course, we all go on opening night to see the damn things. Here I thought all along this was Episode 8, only to find out this weekend that it's a standalone story that takes place between 3 & 4. What a ripoff!!
    A ripoff is a fraud or a swindle.

How is this a ripoff?
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365

JimmyV said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

The title is Rogue One, A Star Wars Story. It's not Star Wars Episode 8.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I do enjoy the possibility that the best Star Wars movie ever made is still to come.

• JimmyV said:

I do enjoy the possibility that the best Star Wars movie ever made is still to come.

I would have to be 5 years old and watching from the back of a pick up truck at the drive ins, as I was when I first experienced Star Wars. I hope my son has his 'Star Wars' that he can love for the rest of his life. (That goes with all forms of stories...songs, books, etc)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365

JimmyV said:

I would have to be 5 years old and watching from the back of a pick up truck at the drive ins, as I was when I first experienced Star Wars. I hope my son has his 'Star Wars' that he can love for the rest of his life. (That goes with all forms of stories...songs, books, etc)
    Well said.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • This talk about the opening sequence and music especially, reminds me of an interview with Mike Patton - he pinpoints his first viewing of Star Wars, and the impact the opening music had on him, as being the first time in his life he realized the power of music.

So basically, you can thank or blame Star Wars for Mike Patton getting into music.
    JK_Livin said:

JimmyV said:

Well said.
    Very.

JimmyV said:

I see where you are coming from and the original had a huge impact on everyone, but if you take the subjectivity of time and experience away, Ep4 probably isn't in the top 3 of the 7 that have been made.
    rgambs said:

JimmyV said:

I see where you are coming from and the original had a huge impact on everyone, but if you take the subjectivity of time and experience away, Ep4 probably isn't in the top 3 of the 7 that have been made.
    It has its warts certainly but it is in my top 3. Some order of the original, Empire and Force Awakens are 1-3. Then Jedi. The prequels bring up the rear.