Options

deleted

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    vaggar99 said:

I dont need PJ to issue any kind of statement. We got thru the last 24 yrs of Bill, W, and Obama. We'll survive this one too.

you're missing my point. this has very little do with standard policy. it has to do with who we are as people. Do we tolerate this or not? Judging by the reaction on this thread, seems like the PJ community tolerates it.

I want to know if the mightiest band on the plant, Pearl Jam, tolerates tolerates it.
    Tolerates what, exactly?

We aren't (I hope, anyway) a bunch of lemmings desperately waiting for five (fine, six - howdy, Boom =) ) to advise on which way to think. I do love this band; their music and words and so much more have played a huge role in my life.

But, my mind and my views, are mine. Influenced here and there, sure. But by so many other factors, and the lack of a band's opinion (or even their giving of it) isn't quite as weighty for me as may be for others.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    hedonist said:

vaggar99 said:

I dont need PJ to issue any kind of statement. We got thru the last 24 yrs of Bill, W, and Obama. We'll survive this one too.

you're missing my point. this has very little do with standard policy. it has to do with who we are as people. Do we tolerate this or not? Judging by the reaction on this thread, seems like the PJ community tolerates it.

I want to know if the mightiest band on the plant, Pearl Jam, tolerates tolerates it.
    Tolerates what, exactly?

We aren't (I hope, anyway) a bunch of lemmings desperately waiting for five (fine, six - howdy, Boom =) ) to advise on which way to think. I do love this band; their music and words and so much more have played a huge role in my life.

But, my mind and my views, are mine. Influenced here and there, sure. But by so many other factors, and the lack of a band's opinion (or even their giving of it) isn't quite as weighty for me as may be for others.
    the normalizations of racism, homophobia, misogyny and xenophobia as stated in my original post. you can call me crazy but having a president who has said and maybe done some very unacceptable things can not be tolerated under any circumstance. this is the most important issue of our lifetime. if you don't believe me, wait.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    vaggar99 said:

hedonist said:

vaggar99 said:

Tolerates what, exactly?

the normalizations of racism, homophobia, misogyny and xenophobia as stated in my original post. you can call me crazy but having a president who has said and maybe done some very unacceptable things can not be tolerated under any circumstance. this is the most important issue of our lifetime. if you don't believe me, wait.
    I think people get what you're concerns are. Many people share your same concerns. But what in the world is Pearl Jam supposed to do about it? They've been very vocal in the past about political issues they don't agree with, but whether or not they speak out against trump isn't going to change anything, nor should that sway anyone's opinion on the situation.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited November 2016
    pearl green eggs and nam
    Post edited by rollings on
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418

Shut it down

x2. Move it.. Something
  • Options
    All I ask is the band say something publicly. You'd be surprised what might happen. This is not your normal type of president. And yeah, I get it...'the band doesn't have to do anything'. That seems to be what we are all trained to say around here. Again I am not saying they have to do anything. I am asking.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    The band doesn't need to say anything..however if you don't like whats going on..start a revolution..peacefully ofcource.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    vaggar99 said:

wow...now i remember why PJ shows are so lame now. its not the music

You mean the shows where they address this kind of topic all of the time? Have you even listened to Eddie at a concert before?
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    So far this thread isn't off track yet... haven't seen you call anyone a white supremacist racist yet, so keep this thread alive...

:rofl:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    The indifference of the American people is expected. The indifference of Pearl Jam fans, alarming. The indifference of Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder, mind blowing.
  • Options
    KC2917 said:

vaggar99 said:

hedonist said:

vaggar99 said:

Tolerates what, exactly?

I think people get what you're concerns are. Many people share your same concerns. But what in the world is Pearl Jam supposed to do about it? They've been very vocal in the past about political issues they don't agree with, but whether or not they speak out against trump isn't going to change anything, nor should that sway anyone's opinion on the situation.
    it's early in the process and most everyone is still trying to come to grips with this. Thats understandable. Trust me, there is a movement forming and I am getting on the right side of it.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PJNB said:

vaggar99 said:

You mean the shows where they address this kind of topic all of the time? Have you even listened to Eddie at a concert before?
    hadn't been to the any 2015-2016. I don't doubt this has come up. However, post election, there has been silence in general from the celebrity community. PJ and EV are not only celebrities, but celebrities with a strong social conscience. So, it only seems natural that they can help to begin filling this very very large void.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Shut it down

x2. Move it.. Something
    x3 -> A -> M -> T, please.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I ask the mods to please keep this thread here.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

PJNB said:

vaggar99 said:

hadn't been to the any 2015-2016. I don't doubt this has come up. However, post election, there has been silence in general from the celebrity community. PJ and EV are not only celebrities, but celebrities with a strong social conscience. So, it only seems natural that they can help to begin filling this very very large void.
    And you think an empty tweet or comment that only Pearl Jam fans will read anyways will have an impact on anything? Are you serious? I agree something needs to change but you are looking in the wrong direction for that movement to start happening.
  • Options
    ^^^no longer alarming. just business as usual in America. Happy Monday. Let's get out there and grab em by the.....
  • Options
    I did not suggest a tweet. I think PJ can and always has done better than that. There was a time when I thought PJ always did things differently and their own way. So I am not going to tell them what to say or how to say it. I think EV and the band can easily figure that part out.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    You sound like a child who is not getting his way.
  • Options
    ^^^i am...i'm only 5, but can still see through the nonsense.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

I did not suggest a tweet. I think PJ can and always has done better than that. There was a time when I thought PJ always did things differently and their own way. So I am not going to tell them what to say or how to say it. I think EV and the band can easily figure that part out.

And they do. If you went to a show or listened to a bootleg from this year then you would have seen this topic being discussed at a lot of the shows.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    vaggar99 said:

I ask the mods to please keep this thread here.

Why not move it to AMT? This is where this topic belongs.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    vaggar99 said:

The indifference of the American people is expected. The indifference of Pearl Jam fans, alarming. The indifference of Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder, mind blowing.

Please don't make a blanket statement about all of the fans. You may not be hearing from others because...they are out there trying to make a difference, in their own way.

Also, the "celebrity community" is not exactly being silent. Unless you were expecting them to take to the streets with banners, pitchforks, and flamethrowers.

And I am still uncertain what, exactly, you want the band to say. "Fight the good fight" "Don't give up" ?? Honestly, I would rather they funnel their energy into a new record. Yes, I know it only takes a few moments to make a statement, but then in goes into the news spin cycle and gets lost amongst the other sound bites. Vinyl is forever.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    i want a new PJ record just as much as anyone. not making blanket statements about everyone here. just observations based on the response i've seen in this thread.
  • Options
    a beautiful song when released in '93, but lyrically irrelevant to me. Now the lyrics are more like a premonition.

https://youtu.be/Z_uSbxUSNmg
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    vaggar99 said:

Admittedly I haven't read the entire thread. But I have to say this... who is indifferent? I'm not. I don't know personally anyone who is. Pearl Jam is not a messiah as someone else mentioned. We don't need them to make an official statement on this mess. I think we can all safely assume we know their views based on their past many, many political and social statements. I'm certain that the next time Ed has the mic he won't be shy to speak what is already in many of our hearts and minds.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    vaggar99 said:

i want a new PJ record just as much as anyone. not making blanket statements about everyone here. just observations based on the response i've seen in this thread.

You want the band to say something publicly. A lot of us think this will have zero impact on people and yes you are making blanket statements in this thread. They already made a statement in Raleigh this year which many thought was the wrong one. I believe they should speak with there music and I for one am really curious as to what they are going be able to come up with after a crazy year. With Trump winning and the Cubs also winning Eddies mind must be full of ideas.
  • Options
    we only need food, water and shelter to survive. its what we want that moves us forward
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

we only need food, water and shelter to survive. its what we want that moves us forward

Air seems kind of important too...

Also I see you are just seeking attention now with this thread. I'm out.
  • Options

vaggar99 said:

Admittedly I haven't read the entire thread. But I have to say this... who is indifferent? I'm not. I don't know personally anyone who is. Pearl Jam is not a messiah as someone else mentioned. We don't need them to make an official statement on this mess. I think we can all safely assume we know their views based on their past many, many political and social statements. I'm certain that the next time Ed has the mic he won't be shy to speak what is already in many of our hearts and minds.
    Thank you for saying something. That's all I ask.
  • Options
    PJNB said:

vaggar99 said:

Air seems kind of important too...

Also I see you are just seeking attention now with this thread. I'm out.
    this thread was designed to draw attention to an issue that really bothers me. not to attract attention to me. change is coming